Blues Rock Guitar history

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Blues Rock Guitar history

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wow, our bro wipes the floor with Bonomono on this one. Fun to watch the drummer.

d9eNyWFT64o
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Something I have been doing the last couple of years is playing the guitar opposite handed. It's amazing.

I think I have quite excellent technique but like anything you can get stuck. When I started playing opposite, when you flip it back over you just go interstellar. It's effortless.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Also recently I buckled and started playing against youtube/spotify backing tracks. You can get anything you can imagine for endless jamming. Maybe a little artificial but so easy.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:47 am Wow, our bro wipes the floor with Bonomono on this one. Fun to watch the drummer.
rather unfairly no doubt, when i make my jokes about harley riding, PRS slinging accountants and dentists, I consider Bomomomomom their patron saint.

Eric Gales does have his moments and a musicality to him.
Mr. Perfect wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 am Something I have been doing the last couple of years is playing the guitar opposite handed. It's amazing.

I think I have quite excellent technique but like anything you can get stuck. When I started playing opposite, when you flip it back over you just go interstellar. It's effortless.
crazy, Id never have considered doing that, I think I would be terrible at it - my version of that is to go fingerstyle without using my dominant fingers (thumb and first two)
Mr. Perfect wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:09 am Also recently I buckled and started playing against youtube/spotify backing tracks. You can get anything you can imagine for endless jamming. Maybe a little artificial but so easy.
its all i have for the moment, as you say, the gridded drum tracks make it a bit sterile but its certainly better than nothing and a lot of fun.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 am crazy, Id never have considered doing that, I think I would be terrible at it - my version of that is to go fingerstyle without using my dominant fingers (thumb and first two)
I am quite terrible at it, the whole point is when you switch back it feels way easier. Try it dude, you'll see what I mean.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:47 am
noddy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 am crazy, Id never have considered doing that, I think I would be terrible at it - my version of that is to go fingerstyle without using my dominant fingers (thumb and first two)
I am quite terrible at it, the whole point is when you switch back it feels way easier. Try it dude, you'll see what I mean.
makes perfect sense -

one of the odd things about guitar is we use our coordinated hand for the less complex activity, if you persisted with it you might become the worlds best tapper :)
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yeah I've never figured out how I got my left hand to do all the dancing. It's worthless in any other activity.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:11 am
Mr. Perfect wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:47 am
makes perfect sense -

one of the odd things about guitar is we use our coordinated hand for the less complex activity, if you persisted with it you might become the worlds best tapper :)
For some reason the fingers of the non-dominant hand work better than the dominant hand if the palm is up. I did card tricks as a kid and this was always true.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:33 am
For some reason the fingers of the non-dominant hand work better than the dominant hand if the palm is up. I did card tricks as a kid and this was always true.
thats really interesting - a quick test of my own capabilities tends to suggest likewise - however I cant tell if that would have been true without decades of making it true with playing.

I wonder if their is any wider studies on this.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Burns like a forty day California wildfire.....'>.......

QU8WT2k_peo
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:03 am Burns like a forty day California wildfire.....'>.......

hah, that takes me back to a less uptight time, the clouds of smoke, the lack of focus.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

iSbcpLLadX0

nice.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

I was/am probably a bit harsh on bonomassa.

this tribute to Albert King is about as good as such a thing could be.

qoX0Olfqziw

I saw an Albert King concert, the guy was a monster on all levels, huge man, huge stage presence and huge playing.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ZztYiIqx8XI
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

IxvneWCloYc
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

ucTg6rZJCu4
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

classic.

enjoying open chords through a loud amp, timeless, the beginning of it all.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

After a year of tirelessly looking for VST modellers/effects which dont suck, Ive finally settled on the 2 creams of the crop I think.

https://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear

the best modeller on the market by far - all the rest either had a nasty glassy sound or a hideous mess of DLC upgrades mangled into the interface, leaving you scared to click on anything for fear of not actually owning yet, or something, despite giving them money.

this one is just excellent amp models and cabinet sims, and a few basic effects - reverb, delay, chorus, in a clean simple interface and its done by a Marshall engineer , so funnily enough the Marshall and Fender sims are rich and warm, not brittle or glassy.

When i want my guitar to sound like a guitar, its always been Fender for cleans and Marshall for crunch , so its perfect for 90% of what I want, the metal tones are probably not there but its rare for me to want that anyway and I have other options.

http://www.jamorigin.com/

the keyboard you have when your not very good at keyboard, this does real time audio -> midi conversion for guitar and generates 2 outputs on the DAW, one audio, one midi.

the audio can be clean guitar or it can be its builtin synth which contains solid basics for pianos, organs and the usual collection of FM sounds, including a Dx7 emulator.

Ive been really enjoying just how creative it is to play to suit the sound - ive been finding myself doing completely different things than my normal playing just because the synth is pushing me to different phrasings or play styles.

the two VST's nicely together aswell, so i can send the audio to the amp modeller and the midi to ableton's synths and make the fattest tones possible.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FMcjPZgK9GM
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

AjK4GVR1EcE
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 pm Some one needs to hear my story. This might not be a real thread, we'll see.

My guitar development started with some pop bands of a certain era, but at a certain point the material I was learning was not challenging enough, and not teaching me enough about guitar.

Things got serious when I delved into Led Zeppelin and Hendrix. Prior, I did not care for them much musically, was not my thing, sex/drug psychedelic music. I liked the Beach Boys as a lad.

But when I realized that guitar quality was to be found in LZ and Hendrix I delved deeply. No internet back then, and tablature books were laughable. Anyone's guess what they were playing.

But I couldn't figure it out. Where did it come from. They all said, the blues, and Robert Johnson. So I bought the double CD set, and it sounded nothing like Jimmy or Jimi. The gap was enormous. But Clapton, Beck, Page, Hendrix, always were going on about it. But it was worlds apart.

I then heard about Willie Dixon, and Muddy Waters. Blind Willie. Cool I guess, but no raging guitar solos.

I had this going.

Robert Johnson =>

Blind Willie =>

Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon =>

Jimmy and Jimi?

Not happening. Someone skipped a step.
WtpCAhbAJdc
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

1cOosnkWj2g
noddy

Post by noddy »

Eric Johnson has a real easy listening kind of vibe, its like gourmet elevator music.

which sounds mean but im not meaning to be.

Phil-X has been a bit of surprise on youtube, being the bonjovi guitarist he wasnt on my radar at all but he has a surprising amount of high quality rock-pig solo stuff which is kind of fun, as rock piggery goes.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »