China

Heracleum Persicum

Re: China

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

China aims to take out Elon Musk’s Starlink satellites

Chinese state researchers are calling for the development of anti-satellite capabilities against Elon Musk’s SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet constellation, citing the broadband system’s potential military applications and threat to China’s national security.

In a paper published last month in the Chinese peer-reviewed journal Modern Defense, a team of five senior scientists in China’s defense industry led by Ren Yuanzhen, a researcher with the Beijing Institute of Tracking and Telecommunications, stated that “a combination of soft and hard kill methods should be adopted to make some Starlink satellites lose their functions and destroy the constellation’s operating system.”

Easy done with new laser weapons.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:16 pm .

Chinese state researchers are calling for the development of anti-satellite capabilities against Elon Musk’s SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet constellation, citing the broadband system’s potential military applications and threat to China’s national security.

In a paper published last month in the Chinese peer-reviewed journal Modern Defense, a team of five senior scientists in China’s defense industry led by Ren Yuanzhen, a researcher with the Beijing Institute of Tracking and Telecommunications, stated that “a combination of soft and hard kill methods should be adopted to make some Starlink satellites lose their functions and destroy the constellation’s operating system.”

And certainly an act of war, against a guy that has missiles that can launch and drop 100 tons of material from space anywhere he wants. Maybe it willl rain Teslas in China ;)
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:50 pm

And certainly an act of war, against a guy that has missiles that can launch and drop 100 tons of material from space anywhere he wants. Maybe it willl rain Teslas in China ;)

Everything that America has done last 30 yrs , was an "act of war" as defined by UN charter and international law

Everything

Result is, that "act of war" DILUTED to "tap water" concentration

Freezing "sovereign funds" is mother of all "act of wars" .. US did this to Iran 40 yrs ago .. and since has done to, at least 6 nations

Meaning, "don't bother"

Point is not that China will eliminate "Musk’s SpaceX’s Starlink satellite" , point is Iran now has this capacity too, and India and Russia and some others

Satelites the most easy to be taken care of

And

Dont think anybody afraid of attacking satellites .. if done, a bit "huff-&-puff" but nothing more.

What does it mean ?

It means those who rely on their satellites to function "are in disadvantage" .. low tech better for future wars

A good sample is the Cyber war, viruses etc

When US did infect Iranian nuclear centrifuge with virus causing damage, did not think that now Iranians are on the forefront of that game.

Z4f8UEHKZIs
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:32 pm
Doc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:50 pm

Everything that America has done last 30 yrs , was an "act of war" as defined by UN charter and international law

Everything

Result is, that "act of war" DILUTED to "tap water" concentration

Freezing "sovereign funds" is mother of all "act of wars" .. US did this to Iran 40 yrs ago .. and since has done to, at least 6 nations

Meaning, "don't bother"

Point is not that China will eliminate "Musk’s SpaceX’s Starlink satellite" , point is Iran now has this capacity too, and India and Russia and some others

Satelites the most easy to be taken care of

And

Dont think anybody afraid of attacking satellites .. if done, a bit "huff-&-puff" but nothing more.

What does it mean ?

It means those who rely on their satellites to function "are in disadvantage" .. low tech better for future wars

A good sample is the Cyber war, viruses etc

When US did infect Iranian nuclear centrifuge with virus causing damage, did not think that now Iranians are on the forefront of that game.

Z4f8UEHKZIs
100 tons of aterial traveling at 17,000 mph.

China already attached other nations satellites in the past. China already made a huge amount of space junk by demonstrating its own anti-sat missiles.

Lasers only work at a distance with a huge amount of power. When I say huge I mean huge like with a nuclear bomb powering them. So you are saying that China is going to explode nukes in space to power lasers to shoot down Musk's satellites?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:
Lasers only work at a distance with a huge amount of power. When I say huge I mean huge like with a nuclear bomb powering them. So you are saying that China is going to explode nukes in space to power lasers to shoot down Musk's satellites?

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diploma ... d-set-fire

https://asiatimes.com/2022/01/us-china- ... ting-edge/

https://coffeeordie.com/china-creates-laser-rifle/

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/chi ... 42355.html

Researchers in China have developed a microwave machine "Relativistic Klystron Amplifier (RKA)", that could jam or destroy satellites in space.

The device can generate a wave burst measuring 5-megawatts in the Ka-band, a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum increasingly used for both civil and military purposes, citing Asia Times, Taiwan News reported.

Although not powerful enough to shoot targets out of the sky from the ground, the RKA can be mounted onto satellites, which could then be used to attack enemy assets in space by burning out their sensitive electronics.

Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) are systems that use concentrated electromagnetic energy rather than kinetic energy to damage or destroy enemy equipment and/or personnel in a physical conflict.

Although China denies the RKA is a Directed Energy Weapon (DEW), if the system were built at scale, it could send beams strong enough to rip through metallic materials moving at speed, reported Taiwan News.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:54 pm
Doc wrote:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diploma ... d-set-fire

https://asiatimes.com/2022/01/us-china- ... ting-edge/

https://coffeeordie.com/china-creates-laser-rifle/

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/chi ... 42355.html

Researchers in China have developed a microwave machine "Relativistic Klystron Amplifier (RKA)", that could jam or destroy satellites in space.

The device can generate a wave burst measuring 5-megawatts in the Ka-band, a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum increasingly used for both civil and military purposes, citing Asia Times, Taiwan News reported.

Although not powerful enough to shoot targets out of the sky from the ground, the RKA can be mounted onto satellites, which could then be used to attack enemy assets in space by burning out their sensitive electronics.

Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) are systems that use concentrated electromagnetic energy rather than kinetic energy to damage or destroy enemy equipment and/or personnel in a physical conflict.

Although China denies the RKA is a Directed Energy Weapon (DEW), if the system were built at scale, it could send beams strong enough to rip through metallic materials moving at speed, reported Taiwan News.
"5 megawatts" "in space"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nikkei Asia | VCs raise record funds for Southeast Asia, India as money leaves China [paywalled]
Beijing's regulatory crackdown on tech has prompted startup investors to diversify
WATARU SUZUKI, Nikkei staff writer
MAY 30, 2022 06:00 JST
TOKYO -- Venture capital firms that back startups in Southeast Asia and India are raising record sums for new funds as investors shift from China.

Southeast Asia- and India-focused VC funds have raised $3.1 billion so far in 2022, already nearing the $3.5 billion they raised in all of last year, according to data from research company Preqin. In comparison, fundraising by China-focused VCs fell sharply from $27.2 billion in 2021 to just $2.1 billion.

"Fifty percent of the investors we spoke to are trying to diversify out of China," said Amit Anand, co-founder of Singapore-based Jungle Ventures, which recently raised $600 million for new funds to invest in Southeast Asian and Indian startups. "They've had a fair amount of success there but are mindful about the headwinds, and hence, they wanted to put more money in Southeast Asia and India."

Jungle Ventures plans to make "concentrated" investments in 15 to 18 companies with an even split between the two regions, Anand said.

Earlier this month, Singapore-based East Ventures said it raised $550 million to invest in startups in Southeast Asia, bringing assets under management to more than $1 billion. In April, India's Elevation Capital said it raised its largest ever fund with $670 million.

Wavemaker Partners, a Singapore-based VC, launched a $136 million fund in March 22% larger than its predecessor. Managing Partner Paul Santos said he noticed a change in atmosphere when he approached potential investors in the U.S. "Those who were underweight [in China] would say we'll stay here. Those who were overweight would say we might need to rebalance the portfolio."

VC funds raise money from investors that range from pension funds and university endowment funds to wealthy tycoons. Southeast Asia and India have emerged as attractive markets due to the fast growth of startups in both regions in recent years, culminating in a series of blockbuster listings last year from the likes of Indian food delivery company Zomato and Singaporean superapp Grab.

At the same time, there has been what observers call a dramatic change in policy by the Chinese government. Beijing banned for-profit tutoring last year, crippling the business models of online education companies, many of which were backed by foreign venture capital firms. That led to large paper losses: SoftBank Group wrote down its $700 million investment in Zuoyebang, the developer of an app that helped students with their homework, to $100 million by March.

China also introduced tougher rules on large tech platforms, including measures to promote competition and regulations on how they must handle user data. The moves caused shares of large publicly listed companies like Alibaba Group Holding and Tencent Holdings to fall sharply.

Beijing has recently sent signals that its crackdown is over. The Politburo of the Chinese Communist Party promised last month to "promote the healthy development of the platform economy," but at the same time, strict COVID restrictions in Shanghai and Beijing have shaken the Chinese economy and further alarmed investors.

"Some investors are beginning to feel the risk to China's state system," said an executive at a Japanese asset management company that invests in VCs. "As a result, when they try to get exposure to Asia, there is a transfer of capital from China to other regions. In the past, allocation to Asia was nearly equal to allocation to China. In the current environment, more investors are considering a diversified allocation."

The executive added that funds focused on India and Southeast Asia are quickly oversubscribed because the size of the venture capital market is still much smaller than China.

The influx of capital may be a tailwind for startups in these areas, and a counterpoint to the global sell-off in publicly listed tech companies that has fueled concerns over startup valuations. Grab, its Singapore peer Sea and the Indian payments company Paytm have all seen their share prices drop more than 50% this year.

Forge, a U.S. trading platform for shares of privately held companies, said that in the first quarter shares traded at a 24% premium over the price at their last funding round. That is down sharply from a 58% premium in the fourth quarter of last year.

Despite the expansion of VCs focusing on Southeast Asia and India, however, these are still small compared to the biggest players who are scaling back. SoftBank, which operates the $98.6 billion Vision Fund and $56 billion Vision Fund 2, will cut investments by half or more after posting a record quarterly loss, Chairman and Chief Executive Masayoshi Son said earlier this month. Fund managers said the sell-off in public markets will still likely hit valuations.

"Valuations in the technology sector have really paced far ahead from value creation in our markets," said Anand of Jungle Ventures. "It's about time that valuation and value creation go hand in hand."

China-focused VCs that did manage to raise new funds this year were in areas that appear to be less impacted by Beijing's crackdown. Lyfe Capital, which invests in health care-related companies, announced in April the launch of a new $935 million fund, its fourth. It recently led an investment in Starna Therapeutics, a startup developing drugs based on mRNA technology.

Nio Capital, run by electric vehicle billionaire William Li, in March said it raised $400 million for its second fund, which is double the size of its first. It is the backer of autonomous driving startups Momenta and Pony.ai.

Additional reporting by Sayan Chakraborty in Bengaluru
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Chinese youth are giving up on their lives

After 2-1/2 years of on again off again lock down and lack of jobs Chinese youth are giving up on their lives saying "Let it rot" and "Lay down flat"

Way to go Joe err XI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgl-45gmoDE

gl-45gmoDE
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.asiafinancial.com/desperate ... wn-payment
Desperate China Developers Take Crops as Down-Payment
June 23, 2022
Wheat and garlic are being accepted as property down-payments as desperate China developers scramble to boost sales after a plunge in sales from January to May.

The cost will be low when you are using an antibiotic for the right reasons. Generic propecia is approved to be used in women over piriteze allergy tablets price Huilong 34 and older for menopause. However doxacalciferol is available in india, however doxycycline is not the same.
The best of dapoxetine for dogs in india best of dapoxetine for dogs in india, dapoxetine for dogs in india indian online. If you are, you will have Muntok to stop taking medication and take the drug again after a week of rest from sexual activity. Can you find a trusted online pharmacy with cheap generic drugs?
The doctor has been trying and trying to get the right drug for her but finally they discovered that she had a form of cancer she never had. Periactin preis für tadalafil weight gain reviews is generally not recommended for use with. Your eye care professional may recommend eye drops.

facebook

twitter
Wheat and garlic are being accepted as property down-payments as desperate China developers scramble to boost sales after a plunge in sales.
A Central China sales agent said the wheat promotion was aimed mainly at farmers in the region. It started on Monday and will end on July 10 for houses costing 600,000 to 900,000 yuan. File photo: Reuters.

Wheat and garlic are being accepted as property down-payments as desperate China developers scramble to boost sales after a nosedive in transactions in January to May.

One advertisement by Henan-based developer Central China that had “swap wheat for house” in the title says buyers can use the crop to offset as much as 160,000 yuan ($24,000) of the down-payment in one of its developments.

China’s strict Covid-19 curbs, combined with worries about a deeper property correction, have clouded Beijing’s 2022 economic growth target of 5.5%.

A Central China sales agent said the wheat promotion was aimed mainly at farmers in the region. It started on Monday and will end on July 10 for houses costing 600,000 to 900,000 yuan, the agent said.

Central China Real Estate, the developer’s sales unit, recorded a 71.3% plunge in sales in May from a year ago, while sales in the first five months dropped 48.6%.

Late last month, another Central China advertisement said buyers of houses in another development could make down-payments in garlic.

The promotion attracted 852 visits and 30 transactions involving about 500 tonnes of garlic during the 16 days it was available, the advertisement said.

The wholesale market price for both garlic and wheat is 3 yuan per kg.

More common promotions by China developers include free parking lots or renovations after purchase.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Covid in China: Xi’s fraying relationship with the middle class
The new buzzword for Chinese people sick of being locked down is ‘runxue’: the study of leaving the country completely
[paywalled]
In late March, as more than 300mn people found themselves under fresh restrictions, searches on Tencent’s WeChat platform for “how to move to Canada” surged almost 3,000 per cent, a study by US think-tank the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) found.
Go West, young Chinaman.
Edward White in Seoul and Eleanor Olcott in Taipei 17 HOURS AGO

For decades, China’s expanding middle class had but one option to get ahead: neijuan, or joining the rat race of relentless competition.

Then, a surprising strain of resistance sprouted among the young last year: tangping, lying flat and doing only the minimum to make ends meet.

Now, after a return to gruelling lockdowns under President Xi Jinping’s zero-Covid policy, a third trend has emerged: runxue, the study of how to get out of China for good.

Chinese residents are deeply frustrated as their day-to-day freedoms hinge on the results of mandatory Covid-19 tests, often taken every 48 or 72 hours

In late March, as more than 300mn people found themselves under fresh restrictions, searches on Tencent’s WeChat platform for “how to move to Canada” surged almost 3,000 per cent, a study by US think-tank the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) found. In early April, WeChat searches for immigration jumped more than 440 per cent. Relocation consultants in China and abroad say they were also hit by a torrent of phone calls and emails.

The runxue phenomenon highlights that ordinary Chinese are deeply frustrated. Their day-to-day freedoms hinge on the results of mandatory Covid-19 tests, often taken every 48 or 72 hours. Their minds are occupied by the immediate risks of strict quarantine in state-run facilities, separated from their families, as well as deeper anxieties over job security and falling household incomes as the economy teeters on the edge of recession.

Earlier hopes that the severe lockdown imposed on Shanghai in March would be a one-off are fast fading, despite the glaring economic and social costs. Instead, Xi and his leadership have explicitly reaffirmed their commitment to the controversial zero-Covid playbook of relentless snap lockdowns, fastidious mass testing and closed borders.

Yet the longer zero-Covid persists, experts say, the more the leadership risks a longer-term fraying of the Chinese Communist party’s “social contract” with Chinese society, especially the fast-growing urban middle class which the party has so far managed to keep onside.

The legitimacy of the CCP and its leadership has long been underpinned by the extraordinary rise of China’s economy since the 1980s, which pulled the country out of poverty and propelled hundreds of millions of Chinese people into the relative prosperity of the middle-class.

But the return to sweeping lockdowns this year has demonstrated to many people that no amount of prosperity trumps political power in China, says Kathy Huang, a researcher with the CFR who has been tracking the spread of runxue.

Shanghai is gradually reopening but the shock of the returns to lockdowns has sparked a “shift” in the attitudes of Chinese people, Huang says.

Previously, many blamed the local officials for the haphazard implementation of the zero-Covid strictures. Now most are sympathetic toward those caught up enforcing the bureaucracy, “a recognition of how powerless everyone is under central policies,” she says.

Not since the one-child policy has a national strategy touched nearly every individual in China. Trapped in a web of unpredictable and chaotic lockdown rules, many Chinese are now dreaming of a permanent escape.

“For many elites, emigration had been a viable and popular option long before the lockdowns,” Huang says. “But the sudden spike in interest indicated by the search engines and the immigration consultancies tells us that a much bigger population, most likely those in the middle class, is starting to consider it after the lockdown.

They are looking for a long-term, not temporary solution to their unsatisfactory life in China.”

The squeezed middle-class
The economic reality and strict border controls means that the vast majority of the Chinese middle class have little hope of turning runxue from a study into practice.

Many economists expect China’s gross domestic product to contract this quarter — the second time it has entered recessionary territory in 30 years. Full-year growth forecasts have so far been revised down to about 4 per cent, half the 8.1 per cent growth recorded last year, and below Beijing’s aim for 5.5 per cent, which was already a three-decade low.

A resulting squeeze in living standards is rippling from low-paid labourers through to the professional classes and into boardrooms.

Eko, an export industry professional with a multinational company in Changsha, central China, says “most of my friends are experiencing some decline in their incomes and increased financial pressures, including government employees”. He wants Beijing to pivot to a “full opening” to rekindle the economy.

Andy Zhu, a 30-year-old computer programmer based in Shenzhen, China’s southern tech hub that was briefly locked down in March, says while there has been “a massive impact for all industries” he has been personally forced to rethink how he manages his own finances. “The pandemic has raised my awareness of recessions . . . we need to save more,” he says.

One 24-year-old accountant in the eastern city of Nanjing, who asked not to be named, expects her income to be halved this year as the downturn bites. Her parent’s plan to buy a new car was recently put on ice.

The return to sweeping lockdowns this year has demonstrated to many people that no amount of prosperity trumps political power in China

Nomura analysts have cautioned that “some fundamentals” might be worse than China’s official data suggested. The Japanese bank’s analysts point to China’s road freight index, a closely watched gauge of economic activity, down almost 20 per cent year on year, and sales volume of new homes slumping nearly a third.

They also note contractions in output across key commodities and products including power, cement, crude steel, cars and smartphones, adding that “although the worst appears to be behind us for this Omicron wave, there is no guarantee that a new wave will not hit in coming months”.

As the lockdowns drag on economic growth, Beijing is pledging economic support including a reversion to large-scale infrastructure projects and tax breaks. But economists, also worried about rising inflation, are not optimistic that the scale and delivery of the planned stimulus will be enough to prime a “V-shape” recovery from the world’s biggest consumer market and factory floor.

Job statistics will also be worrying Xi and his economic planners in Beijing. Unemployment among workers aged between 18 and 24 has hit a record high of 18.4 per cent. The rise in youth joblessness already has put China on par with Slovakia and Estonia. The problem will soon worsen with more than 10mn university students graduating in the coming weeks.

The zero-Covid policy is also taking a toll on people’s mental health. Although official data are in short supply, academic research into earlier stages of the pandemic are troubling. A survey of almost 40,000 students in 2020 showed the prevalence of depression, anxiety symptoms and suicide risk at double digit rates, a group of Chinese researchers wrote in a paper published by academic journal Current Psychology.

Logan Wright, who leads China markets research at Rhodium, the think-tank, notes that many people are now comparing this crisis to some of the darkest days under Communist party rule.

“China’s own citizens . . . are discussing the current crisis by likening it not to Sars or another epidemic, but to the Communist party’s political campaigns from China’s history — particularly the history of the 1960s,” Wright wrote in a recent policy analysis.

“There are frequent discussions of the overreactions of local officials to a few cases and the overreporting of economic data during the current slowdown using the context of the Great Leap Forward, and others comparing the ‘Big Whites’ (newly recruited medical volunteers assisting with the lockdowns) to the Red Guards of the cultural revolution,” he added.

The poor getting poorer
For Chinese at the lower end of the economic ladder, the leader’s refusal to budge from the policy of completely eliminating coronavirus is starting to erode years of progress.

One year ago, Xi claimed personal responsibility for eradicating poverty in China, a proud yet unprovable boast at a time of global economic pain with much of the world in the throes of the pandemic.

The issue is highly politically sensitive. Xi has personalised the state’s long-running anti-poverty campaign. Last year he also made equality a hallmark domestic policy under the “common prosperity” banner, which has included cracking down on the power of big business, cultural vice and excess among China’s ultrawealthy.

A woman passes an anti-epidemic station, inviting people to scan a QR code for the LeaveHomeSafe app, take their temperature and disinfect their hands

Research shows that Chinese living in, or on the edge of, abject poverty were among those hardest hit when the initial coronavirus outbreak emerged from Wuhan in early 2020. Academics from Chongqing University and Sun Yat-sen University said in a report analysing the initial nationwide lockdown in early 2020 that homeless people were hit by a “substantial decline in incomes” and “humanitarian aid from local governments of China decreased, whereas inhumane efforts to drive the homeless away intensified”.

Samantha Vortherms, a China expert at the University of California, Irvine, notes that in factories across the world’s second-biggest economy local staff are considered the “core employee base”. China’s 380mn itinerant migrant workers are “periphery”, she says, which means they are the first to be laid off when companies are hit by downturns, a problem exacerbated by unequal access to social security provisions.

“Migrant workers are much less likely to have formal labour contracts that allow them to pay into social insurance schemes that protect them if unemployed,” she says.

Gao Qin, an expert on China’s social welfare at Columbia University, says that the fallout from the latest lockdowns in densely populated urban areas will also hit rural households as more and more migrant workers are unable to keep up regular remittances.

Migrant worker livelihoods depend on mobility — moving between factories and towns looking for work — meaning that during the pandemic they risk not only losing work, but also being targeted by officials for spreading coronavirus, Gao says. “The pandemic has changed almost everything,” she says. “I think we all understand poverty [in China] . . . is an issue.”

The state’s promises of support have provided little solace nor cause for celebration among the workers themselves. “I sometimes listen to the news on the radio. It is all bullshit,” said a labourer surnamed Du who spoke to the Financial Times at a market in Guanzhuang, in Beijing’s eastern outskirts. Out of work and unable to send money to his children, Du planned to return to his farming plot in the country.

The rich look for an exit
Those who can afford to leave the country completely are finding it more difficult to do so. One Chinese entrepreneur now in Washington DC, who asked not to be named for safety reasons, considers himself among those “lucky” to escape before Beijing cracked down on people fleeing the country.

“I flew from Guangzhou to JFK in February . . . Even then it took me four hours to get through all the checks. At the first checkpoint I was interviewed by public security bureau policemen asking me ‘reason for travel’ and how much I was carrying. They were checking people’s baggage.”

In May, the National Immigration Administration announced it would ‘strictly limit’ unnecessary travel amid fears of infections caused by international travellers. It denied it was completely suspending issuing passports © Leo Ramirez/AFP/Getty Images
Others weren’t so lucky, he adds. “A friend of mine wanted to go to New York to drop her child off at college, but the passport office refused to issue her a passport. They said dropping off her child at college wasn’t a valid reason to leave China.”

The issuance of Chinese passports — both new and renewals — was already down 95 per cent in the first quarter compared to before the pandemic, according to official data.

Then in May, the National Immigration Administration doubled down, announcing it would “strictly limit” unnecessary travel amid fears of infections caused by international travellers. But it denied it was completely suspending passport issuance.

A Singapore-based wealth management consultant in the city-state says in recent months she has effectively been moonlighting as a travel agent as her wealthy Chinese clients try to skirt the official edicts against all “unnecessary travel”.

“Even if people can’t leave, they are drawing up plans to do so. They want to feel like they have that choice,” says the consultant, also asking not to be identified.

She adds that, even for wealthy clients, finding lawyers in China who will notarise or translate documents required for overseas travel was also becoming more difficult. “A lot of lawyers won’t take these cases . . . If your passport has expired, then it’s a disaster,” she says.

Beijing’s rules might well have stifled a larger exodus. However, CFR’s Yanzhong Huang says people’s attempts to leave illustrates they are “losing patience and confidence”.

“They don’t feel like there is a future with the repressive political atmosphere and weak economy. They’re voting with their feet.” 

Imperial edicts
The collective angst — from migrant workers up to the elites — adds pressure on the party leadership just months out from the 20th CCP congress expected in November, when Xi is set to break from term limits to cement unrivalled future rule.

The state remains on high alert to guard against dissent

Experts warn that if economic conditions worsen and social controls are ratcheted up again, faith in the Chinese leadership will be further undermined.

Yet Beijing shows no sign of changing course. A new layer of zero-Covid infrastructure is even now descending on cities across China. Officials are racing to erect testing sites no more than a 15-minute walk apart while a construction drive ramps up for new hospitals and centralised quarantine facilities, signs of Beijing’s commitment to using mass testing, contact tracing and quarantines to suppress further large-scale Covid-19 outbreaks through 2023.

Dissent, vanishingly rare in China, may yet bubble up. The staging of nightly protests in Shanghai, during which residents banged pots and sung from their balconies, as well as occasional clashes between Beijing students and other groups with police is evidence that, even in China, frustration can quickly erupt.

The state remains on high alert to guard against it. Most reports critical of the zero-Covid policy are swiftly stamped out by Beijing’s censors and tech platforms such as Tencent and Weibo, so too are episodic waves of memes and other social media commentary reflecting the dissatisfaction.

But China-watchers are looking to the autumn party summit as a potential crunch point. “In the best of times, such political meetings of party elites are seen for what they are: political pageantry,” says Diana Fu, an expert on China’s domestic politics with the Brookings Institution think-tank. “During times of crisis, they may serve as a focal point for social unrest.”

Beijing’s unwavering dedication to suppressing the virus in spite of the signs of frustration and alienation can be seen as a sign of things to come, says Kerry Brown, a professor of Chinese Studies at King’s College, London and author of Xi: A Study in Power, as Xi embraces an “imperial” style of governing.

“The Covid lockdowns are a clue as to where you get to when that sort of power is invested in one person,” he says.

Additional reporting by Maiqi Ding in Beijing. Data and visual journalism by Andy Lin in Hong Kong
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Dennis Etler holds a doctorate in anthropology from the University of California, Berkley.
What the U.S. can learn from China

Dennis Etler about China

All the China-bashing serves multiple purposes but one of the main reasons is to make sure that people in the West do not get to hear about or see what the real China is all about because if they did they may get ideas that the Western elites don't want them to have, such as socialism works for the betterment of the 99% while capitalism works primarily to enrich the 1%.

Seconded
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Doc wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:50 am Chinese youth are giving up on their lives

After 2-1/2 years of on again off again lock down and lack of jobs Chinese youth are giving up on their lives saying "Let it rot" and "Lay down flat"

Way to go Joe err XI

gl-45gmoDE
This is exaggerated BS, as anyone who actually lives in China would tell you.

On the other hand, have you seen young people in middle America? The guys can’t hold a job, the girls are all single moms by 24, and everyone is on depressants like weed.

But go ahead and make yourself feel better with fake news from China.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 pm
Doc wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:50 am Chinese youth are giving up on their lives

Way to go Joe err XI

gl-45gmoDE
This is exaggerated BS, as anyone who actually lives in China would tell you.

On the other hand, have you seen young people in middle America? The guys can’t hold a job, the girls are all single moms by 24, and everyone is on depressants like weed.

But go ahead and make yourself feel better with fake news from China.
Last time I noticed the only people the CCP want to live in China are Chinese people

I guess they figure they don't need no stinking Foreign devils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPPi3xRjuw

EyPPi3xRjuw

But I do agree with you the same problem seems to be here as well. Maybe the problem in China is due high student loan debt and social science degrees as well.

BTW Good to see you Zack, it has been a while.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

What does that have to do with the "lay flat" phenomenon being sensationalist fluff?
Heracleum Persicum

Yes, Welcome ZM

Danger Anglos, West facing now is not military, but more and more, World population looking at China achieving better live for their population compared to America's situation, being now convinced that Western system a "scam" .. democracy and freedom etc etc buzzword to fool the 3rd world to ride them.

In the past, non western world, had no choice and had to play the game, bend.

Khomeini put an stop to all that

Now India laughing at US and Europe, mad mullahs (now a non Oil economy) don't negotiate (directly) with US (Trump thought Iran would collapse, Bolton wanting to crush Iranian bones) .. MBS does not take Biden calls .. and Putin now supreme

Table turned now

All that talk re CCP etc just foolin Joe .. no substance to it
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:46 am .

Yes, Welcome ZM

Danger Anglos, West facing now is not military, but more and more, World population looking at China achieving better live for their population compared to America's situation, being now convinced that Western system a "scam" .. democracy and freedom etc etc buzzword to fool the 3rd world to ride them.

Now India laughing at US and Europe, mad mullahs (now a non Oil economy) don't negotiate (directly) with US (Trump thought Iran would collapse, Bolton wanting to crush Iranian bones) .. MBS does not take Biden calls .. and Putin now supreme

Table turned now

I don’t agree with this. Anglo countries are obviously on the decline and Anglo conceits about the superiority of their political and legal systems are being exposed as self-serving and chauvinistic. But nobody looks to China or Russia except for strongmen ruling over broken countries.

China’s economic diplomacy has largely failed to create political influence because nobody wants to be like the mainland Chinese.

It’s unclear where leadership will come from. China *could* still get its act together if Xi’s regime unravels. If the US can reform its political system, rebalance power toward the people (I.e., the blue states), it has a fighting chance.
Heracleum Persicum

Zack Morris wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:07 pm
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:46 am .

Yes, Welcome ZM

Table turned now

I don’t agree with this. Anglo countries are obviously on the decline and Anglo conceits about the superiority of their political and legal systems are being exposed as self-serving and chauvinistic. But nobody looks to China or Russia except for strongmen ruling over broken countries.

China’s economic diplomacy has largely failed to create political influence because nobody wants to be like the mainland Chinese.

It’s unclear where leadership will come from. China *could* still get its act together if Xi’s regime unravels. If the US can reform its political system, rebalance power toward the people (I.e., the blue states), it has a fighting chance.

For 7 Billion of 8 Billion world population, what matters is "financial and economics" .. everything else , freedom meaningless if hungry and sick.

Yes, the homeless in SF street "is free" to buy a G700 Gulfstream when at the same time he cant buy a McDonald burger.

What matters for rulers of those 7 Billion is to raise population out of poverty.

Biggest "political influence" China achieved is that now non Western countries , say nearly 7 Billion , are stepping back, reflecting, and voicing their "true" opinion .. good to watch how Indian economic and foreign ministers countered EU and US re Russia (to not buy Russian Oil)

China's political achievement was liberating non western world from Western headlock, to get rid of shackles.

Now West must work for non western "goodwill", bullying lost traction.

That is good for non western world .. and .. long term, probably good also for western world

A good sample is, when China came up with "China's $900 billion New Silk Road", West now countering with US pledges $200B to G7 infrastructure project to counter China’s Belt and Road Initiative

WW2 broke the back of "colonial powers" , Brits , French and other .. US was helpful

We now in Phase-II of that process
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:54 pm For 7 Billion of 8 Billion world population, what matters is "financial and economics" .. everything else , freedom meaningless if hungry and sick.
They'll have neither freedom nor food from the Chinese.
What matters for rulers of those 7 Billion is to raise population out of poverty.
Those rulers care about making themselves rich, and China can help there.
China's political achievement was liberating non western world from Western headlock, to get rid of shackles.
Which countries have been "liberated"?
A good sample is, when China came up with "China's $900 billion New Silk Road", West now countering with US pledges $200B to G7 infrastructure project to counter China’s Belt and Road Initiative
The New Silk Road is shaping up to be a boondoggle. It's bought China very little actual influence in the countries that have participated, largely because China has tried to refrain from imposing political conditions, as you point out. But the problem is, as they're discovering, by failing to do so, they've been unable to develop the kind of pull that the West has. Not that they could have had that even if they wanted to. People will gladly take their investments but China doesn't have the inherent respect and admiration that the West does.

Iranians don't flee their country and run to Asia. They go to Europe, the US, and like yourself, Canada. Where China's profile becomes too visible, there is invariably a popular backlash and anti-Chinese sentiment.

Poor China. If only they could learn.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:31 am
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:54 pm For 7 Billion of 8 Billion world population, what matters is "financial and economics" .. everything else , freedom meaningless if hungry and sick.
The New Silk Road is shaping up to be a boondoggle. It's bought China very little actual influence in the countries that have participated, largely because China has tried to refrain from imposing political conditions, as you point out. But the problem is, as they're discovering, by failing to do so, they've been unable to develop the kind of pull that the West has. Not that they could have had that even if they wanted to. People will gladly take their investments but China doesn't have the inherent respect and admiration that the West does.

Iranians don't flee their country and run to Asia. They go to Europe, the US, and like yourself, Canada. Where China's profile becomes too visible, there is invariably a popular backlash and anti-Chinese sentiment.

The belt and road seems to be a means to the end of making the CCP ruling elites rich from government money. China's and which ever countries they fleece As the Sri Lankans are now finding out now that they have taken a bath because of the belt and road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csWA4RKJqG8

csWA4RKJqG8
Heracleum Persicum

Zack Morris wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:31 am

Interesting how westerners (Anglos) view the changes in the world .. Will take time until reality sinks in, unfortunately

Resurrection of Russia and China's economic power changing the world .. will bring more security and prosperity for 7 Billion population of 3rd world.

Last 32 yrs (one generation), since fall of USSR, when West was supreme, became a HELL for 3rd world, innocent millions were killed and entire nations and civilizations wiped out in Libya, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, etc etc .. Now Anglos will have to behave :lol:

Look where US , West was 1990 , look where Russia and China were 1990 , look where Iran's Ayatollahs were 1990

and

Look where they all today

That trend now accelerating

Living in Vancouver since 1982, have many close (HKG) Chinese friends .. they were anti Mainland China in 1980's .. now they fanatic pro China patriots .. they send me most articles relating to China that some I post here

Issue not where I or Iranians want to live (that another debate we can have) .. issue where 1.4 Billion Chinese want to live

How many (honest) Chinese Billionaire moved to West .. non I know

Those rich Chinese who escape to West are those who are corrupt steal money from Banks

Chinese friend say, most popular scam in China is, buy a property for $ 3 million, pledge to bank for $ 30 m making arrangement with the bank manager, and escape to xx .. considering Chinese can only take $ 50K per annum out of country, any more than that comes from these scams .. money is laundered through HKG banks (they take the Yuan in Shanghai and pay $ in HKG, for good cut) .. not that western countries don't know, they know and don't mind and promote .. similar situation in Florida with Latino money :lol:
Heracleum Persicum

Zack Morris wrote:
The New Silk Road is shaping up to be a boondoggle.

China ‘not to blame’ for African debt crisis,
it’s the West

High-interest loans from private Western lenders account for most of the burden on countries in Africa, Britain’s Debt Justice charity finds

Campaigners are calling on the G7 to stop using Chinese loans as ‘distraction’ while letting their own banks, asset managers and oil traders off the hook
African countries owe three times more debt to Western banks, asset managers and oil traders than to China, and are charged double the interest, according to a study released on Monday by British campaign charity Debt Justice.

Pissin in the wind

Zack Morris wrote:

Learn how to rub 3rd world ? :lol:

Western investors in 3rd world usually demand "one year" return on the capital. Same as good old days of Slavery time.

And now blaming China :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, CCP this and that :D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Actually, holding anyone but Africans responsible for their own decisions, including debt, is a type of so-called soft racism.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | China’s Ponzi banks are teetering
Corrupt and opaque local lenders could tip the country over the edge
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:19 am Actually, holding anyone but Africans responsible for their own decisions, including debt, is a type of so-called soft racism.

SECONDED
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:21 am The Spectator | China’s Ponzi banks are teetering
Corrupt and opaque local lenders could tip the country over the edge

Yes

This in similar scale as Wall Street selling million Dollar houses to homeless, packaging the mortgages and selling it to municipalities as investment grade bonds :lol:

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Chinese friend say, most popular scam in China is, buy a property for $ 3 million, pledge to bank for $ 30 m making arrangement with the bank manager, and escape to xx .. considering Chinese can only take $ 50K per annum out of country, any more than that comes from these scams .. money is laundered through HKG banks (they take the Yuan in Shanghai and pay $ in HKG, for good cut) .. not that western countries don't know, they know and don't mind and promote

Let's see what Chinese authorities do with those "Corrupt and opaque local lenders" .. that the acid test

My guess is heads will roll, unlike Wall Street where the culprit even got compensated for any loss.

We will see