The business of business is ESG, CEI, and DEI

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Typhoon

The business of business is ESG, CEI, and DEI

Post by Typhoon »

ESG -> Environmental, Social, and (corporate) Governance
CEI -> Corporate Equality Index [LGBT etc. promotion index]
DEI -> Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Re: The business of business is ESG, CEI, and DEI

Post by Typhoon »

Al Jazz | China’s backlash against Little Mermaid exposes Hollywood bind
Disney’s latest live-action feature is facing "racially charged" blowback from Chinese state media and social media users
Hollywood has a [PR] China problem.
A corporation cannot serve two masters . . .

On the other hand, with the advent of ML [a.k.a. AI] it would not surprise me to see, in the future, actresses such as Halle Bailey [who is lovely] demelaninified and Caucasianized for the PR China market.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Typhoon wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:00 pm Al Jazz | China’s backlash against Little Mermaid exposes Hollywood bind
Disney’s latest live-action feature is facing "racially charged" blowback from Chinese state media and social media users
Hollywood has a [PR] China problem.
A corporation cannot serve two masters . . .

On the other hand, with the advent of ML [a.k.a. AI] it would not surprise me to see, in the future, actresses such as Halle Bailey [who is lovely] demelaninified and Caucasianized for the PR China market.
It's a shame that you even have to add the "is lovely" bit. The lady doesn't deserve abuse for taking a job she had little input over than maybe her acting/singing for whatever that's worth- and one would need to be very naive to think that teams of committees at Disney don't control those parts as well.

Despite the technology I cannot foresee any major studio taking such a step, even for their bottom line. Not only will it upset the true believers and fanatics, it opens up too many other labor and intellectual property issues for them.

What I do see happening is a lot more sophisticated animation in the works. The latest Spider Man movie had a huge opening. Animation gives them control over every hue, shade and color that they can market test to oblivion (and change as needed), voice actors just don't have enough pull to cause a fuss. They can be swapped in and out depending on market and mood. At least for now, having fanatics police who can play certain characters is certainly already happening and will grow if more money starts flowing.
noddy

Post by noddy »

one could argue that by worrying about diversity crap (tm) .. Disney is far more globally relevant than China will ever be.

China's soft culture starts and ends at tasty food, nobody really gives a lavender about the rest of whatever it is they do - maybe some of the silk fabrics.

personally, I still find it ironic that diversity is white people cultural fables with black faces in it - one might have thought that the Zulu's and other big African empires might have had some fresh material, ripe for the Disney commodification engine.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:05 am one could argue that by worrying about diversity crap (tm) .. Disney is far more globally relevant than China will ever be.

China's soft culture starts and ends at tasty food, nobody really gives a lavender about the rest of whatever it is they do - maybe some of the silk fabrics.

personally, I still find it ironic that diversity is white people cultural fables with black faces in it - one might have thought that the Zulu's and other big African empires might have had some fresh material, ripe for the Disney commodification engine.
Shreka Zulu?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

boom tish :)
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:05 am one could argue that by worrying about diversity crap (tm) .. Disney is far more globally relevant than China will ever be.
Not clear to me, from what I've read Disney has been self-immolating financially due to dubious decisions.
PR China's TV drama series have gotten better over time, now rivalling those of S Korea, and enjoy a global audience.
Now that you mention it, your observation is quite funny.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:06 am
Not clear to me, from what I've read Disney has been self-immolating financially due to dubious decisions.
PR China's TV drama series have gotten better over time, now rivalling those of S Korea, and enjoy a global audience.
Now that you mention it, your observation is quite funny.
I wonder why Disney has never done a animated remake of Zulu Dawn and let the Zulu win this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1tMgptVe7I
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Sorry I am not sure where to put this
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman ... model.html

Goldman Sachs asks in biotech research report: ‘Is curing patients a sustainable business model?’
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
NapLajoieonSteroids

Typhoon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:06 am

Yeah. Little Mermaid was as much a disappointment internationally as it was domestically.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt5 ... =bo_se_r_1

only for disney films can people consider half a billion globally a failure.

race swapping a gender swapped tale of homosexual longing in the nordics is an odd thing, but it had an audience apparently.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yeah, it's a Disney-only league. No one else is the distributive behemoth to rejigger fairy tales into a billion dollar+ spectacles.

Live action disney animation movies up until this point were billion+ at the box office and God only knows how much in merchandize and future disney-park visits.

It was a disaster the minute overseas didn't show the interest they were hoping for. Then it became another movie ruined by official wreckers who are able to thwart poor lil'Disney corporation.

It was the dopey teen boys, now in cahoots with an axis of evil in France, Korea, Germany and China.

---------------

A black Ariel was only half the wokebait...that the prince was a white guy was a source of agitation too. How much white supremacy did it reinforce? How does it center persons of color with a white guy in the Caribbean....oh, endless drama. :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I'm with MLK and Morgan Freeman with regards to this All-American issue.

60 Minutes - Morgan Freeman

Unfortunate that the academic ideologues have now indoctrinated several US generations with neo-racist beliefs.

And George Takei is a whiny little twat.