Aussie Economy

Typhoon

Aussie Economy

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Re: Aussie Economy

Post by noddy »

between covid and a huge spat with China we do have many potential collapses coming up but in this case i believe its 100% tied to dodgy deals with local government and developments falling through.

the plunge in residential construction was due to melbourne and sydney being over supplied with cheap apartments, so it was just regular business cycle nonsense i think.

my state is at the other end of that cycle, over building like crazy because of the previous dip.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

we have joined the japanese in being unpalatable to modern american urban middle class sensibilities.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-08/ ... /100050994
About 2 million kangaroos are killed in Australia each year for commercial purposes, from a total population in harvest areas currently estimated to be about 43 million.

Animal activists, both in the US and here in Australia, have long fought to stop the trade, arguing it is inhumane.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 am we have joined the japanese in being unpalatable to modern american urban middle class sensibilities.

About 2 million kangaroos are killed in Australia each year for commercial purposes, from a total population in harvest areas currently estimated to be about 43 million.

Animal activists, both in the US and here in Australia, have long fought to stop the trade, arguing it is inhumane.
The urban elites are really concerned that playing with guns will turn good Strayans into bad Merkins redneck Trump supporters. Kanagaroos are irrelevant to their sense of self-esteem.

If they really cared about the Kangaroos, they would either adopt them and raise them in their apartments, or send them AR-15's with high capacity magazines so they can defend themselves.

Time to get serious and do the right thing......
noddy

Post by noddy »

the more cynical would suggest is the american meat industry reclaiming the ground lost to kangaroo for pet meat and soft leathers.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:45 am
noddy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 am we have joined the japanese in being unpalatable to modern american urban middle class sensibilities.

The urban elites are really concerned that playing with guns will turn good Strayans into bad Merkins redneck Trump supporters. Kanagaroos are irrelevant to their sense of self-esteem.

If they really cared about the Kangaroos, they would either adopt them and raise them in their apartments, or send them AR-15's with high capacity magazines so they can defend themselves.

Time to get serious and do the right thing......
im not sure you realise but many of these folks have realised something that the rest of us are ignorant of.

if you kill something for meat and leather, then the creature DIES!

this new knowledge is running rampant through our urban well to-do's society, you need to give them time to deal with the shock of it all.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-02/ ... /100961618
The interim Australia-India Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement was signed in a virtual ceremony by Trade Minister Dan Tehan and his Indian counterpart Piyush Goyal, and witnessed by prime ministers Scott Morrison and Narendra Modi.
good stuff.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doomberg | No worries, mate
Australia’s refining crisis is an underappreciated risk to the global economy.
Yes or no.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

maybe.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Over the past year,
China has imported more than AU$200 billion (US$127 billion) worth of Australian goods and services.

Well done, noddy :D

In 2016, the last time an Australian prime minister visited China, the combined figure was less than half the current level at AU$95.6 billion.
But in celebrating the latest trade numbers, when in Beijing Albanese might propose a toast to professional diplomacy and a shared commitment to the multilateral trading system, including an independent, rules-based resolution of disputes. Recommitment to both is the right way forward.

That 5G boycott was silly .. Australia should let Chinese do the 6G , there pretty much no alternative :lol:
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-30/ ... /103038192

we are trying to let China bully us less but the EU as always is irrelevant and impossible to deal with - Ideally we are going to tell both Europe and China to go genuflect themselves and increase trade with India

no interest in installing more chinese spyware in our country, have more than enough already we need to get rid of.
Shadow Trade Minister Kevin Hogan said it was "disappointing" that negotiations had fallen over but acknowledged "the offer for agriculture, particularly beef, sheep and sugar, was not good enough".

"The EU offer on geographical indicators would have also been too restrictive, particularly for products like parmesan, feta and prosecco," he said.

As part of the agreement, the EU has been pushing for greater access to Australia's vast critical minerals, and for the abolition of the $1 billion Luxury Car Tax, which would benefit Australian consumers.

The two sides agree a trade deal would help both markets diversify away from China, which slapped eye-watering tariffs on Australian imports during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic in what was widely viewed as economic coercion.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

noddy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:05 pm
no interest in installing more Chinese spyware in our country, have more than enough already we need to get rid of.

The idea of "spyware" missed what really at play

https://asiatimes.com/2023/10/huawei-su ... 5-5g-lead/

Also known as 5G-Advanced, 5.5G promises big improvements in factory automation, autonomous driving and various other applications.

What spying concerns, future "sensitive" communication of any sort will be by "hacker-proof quantum internet", which Chinese (seems) leading.
noddy

Post by noddy »

thats gibberish, sorry Azari - bollocks wrapped up in nonsense with a sprinkling of fantasy on top - quantum doesn exist and once it does exist, it will have backdoors too - doesnt matter how encrypted the links are, their are data centres at each end and those data centres are in things called "countries"

Its been possible to build spyware proof infrastructure for a long time now - but not one of the governments east, nor west, would sign off on it.

being able to catch terrorists (tm) is a core role of government our new globalised world of broken societies full of sub cultures that hate eachother.

you need to know if the lumberjacks are listening to too much right wing material and getting funny ideas.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Lumberjacks have long been radicalized in another direction.
noddy

Post by noddy »

if left wing government is admitting immigration is broken, what does that say about the right wing thoughts.

ill give em points for not going into denial and making the fringe parties powerful - IF they actually do something rather than just talk about it.

the entire FIRE economy thing is based around house prices going up - always has been, always will be.

all our banks, all our government revenue streams, all our retirement packages , are all hanging off that.

my hopes are not high.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hSYixFjZWM

Australia, After America || Peter Zeihan

The Australians are one of the few countries that will stay under the United States' wing as the Order collapses, but they have a few things to figure out first.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros