Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: The Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Typhoon »

Carbizene wrote:You guys seem to be missing the significance of what is occuring under the East Siberian Sea right now, Methane Clathrates have started disassociating on a large scale, this is one of the predicted worse case scenarios, if not the worst becoming real so there is no argument as to the validity of AGW concerns, the horse has bolted and there is no 'other' side to the discussion now.
Maybe they are, most likely they are not.

If they are then it's not due to global warming:
Attachments
The uncertainty in the global temperture is probably more than +/- 3C making the purported rise well withig 1 sigma, ie., noise
The uncertainty in the global temperture is probably more than +/- 3C making the purported rise well withig 1 sigma, ie., noise
global-temperature.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2222 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Carbizene wrote:You guys seem to be missing the significance of what is occuring under the East Siberian Sea right now, Methane Clathrates have started disassociating on a large scale, this is one of the predicted worse case scenarios, if not the worst becoming real so there is no argument as to the validity of AGW concerns, the horse has bolted and there is no 'other' side to the discussion now.

If they are then it's not due to global warming:
To my very simple brain, this is significant:
The uncertainty in the global temperture is probably more than +/- 3C making the purported rise well within 1 sigma, ie., noise
Carbizene

Re: Lovelock: I was alarmist about climate change

Post by Carbizene »

Simple Minded wrote: Well of course people don't want to know if there is nothing they can do about it. Kinda like like finding a broken condom on the floor the morning after..... too late....

what I want to know is how many of the scientists you are talking to are extremely confident, you know like buying Ferraris on credit, or boffing anything that walks with out caring whether their husbands or wives find out...

To my unscientific brain, that would be a real indicator....
The vast majority of Scientists I've met, including family members are so straight that a night on Ginger beer sounds risky to them, the other day I was at the Pub with a Climatologist from the Bureau of Meteorolgy and he could barely hold a conversation as being in close proximity to Women was such an unusual event, so even if they did accept my proposal the kind of behaviour you are talking about would probably just constitute a normal night out for others and thus be indiscernible. :lol:

None of the Scientists I have spoken with see an immediate threat like I do, that said none of them have been able to disprove what I propose.

Scientists are good in their fields but trying to get them to join the dots beyond their field one may as well be talking with a Football player, if not worse as because at least the Football player is not beholden to reputation, he doesn't give a lavender.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Typhoon wrote:
So you are chosing to ignore the disassociation, good luck with that.

In this brave new world one's survival is purely down to oneself, one can strive to construct an out or adhere to the Sgt. Schultz methodology, just don't expect anything from us who reject the Sgt.Schultz way.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Simple Minded wrote:
The uncertainty in the global temperture is probably more than +/- 3C making the purported rise well within 1 sigma, ie., noise
That would make sense if it wasn't bollocks.

GISS is well within 3C of UAH and the proposal that UAH is out by around 3C is right up there with that sighting of Elvis filling up his VW Beetle down at the BP I had the other day.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Carbizene wrote: GISS is well within 3C of UAH and the proposal that UAH is out by around 3C is right up there with that sighting of Elvis filling up his VW Beetle down at the BP I had the other day.

Seeing is believing. ;) If it works for you, it works for me. :)

We keep coming back to a question you refuse to answer, how accurately can the Earths temperature be measured? When?

+/-.01C from 2000-2010? +/- .1C from 1980-2000? +/- 1C from 1950 -1980? +/- 2C from 1900 - 1950?

Any professed change in temp that is not at least an order of magnitude greater than a proven (how?) accuracy of the least count, I gotta yell Bullshit! I've worked with too many of these fools in the past who don't know the diffence between theory/lab measurements and reality/practise.

I know what you mean about those foolish scientists not being able to disprove a negative. Ask them for help to keep the unicorns for eating your tulips sometime. No help at all. Useless bastards.....
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Simple Minded wrote:

We keep coming back to a question you refuse to answer, how accurately can the Earths temperature be measured? When?

+/-.01C from 2000-2010? +/- .1C from 1980-2000? +/- 1C from 1950 -1980? +/- 2C from 1900 - 1950?

Any professed change in temp that is not at least an order of magnitude greater than a proven (how?) accuracy of the least count, I gotta yell Bullshit! I've worked with too many of these fools in the past who don't know the diffence between theory/lab measurements and reality/practise.

I know what you mean about those foolish scientists not being able to disprove a negative. Ask them for help to keep the unicorns for eating your tulips sometime. No help at all. Useless bastards.....
My point is that GISS for the last thirty years has closely matched Satellite data so therefore what ever they are doing now and before is suitably accurate thus it can be said that temperature measurement for the last hundred years is accurate within the uncertainy limits proposed by the bodies that present the data.

Big difference between your Unicorn problem and my proposition is that there is no evidence for those buggers and there is lavender loads of evidence for my scenario, with the only significant loose end that James Hansen proposed being recently dispproved by a study of Greenland Isostatic rebound.

The whole point of Science is to disprove a negative, ie this doesn't blow up if I do this.

Amusing you think GISS, Hadley, UAH, RSS etc are fools.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Carbizene wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

My point is that GISS for the last thirty years has closely matched Satellite data so therefore what ever they are doing now and before is suitably accurate thus it can be said that temperature measurement for the last hundred years is accurate within the uncertainy limits proposed by the bodies that present the data.

Big difference between your Unicorn problem and my proposition is that there is no evidence for those buggers and there is lavender loads of evidence for my scenario, with the only significant loose end that James Hansen proposed being recently dispproved by a study of Greenland Isostatic rebound.

The whole point of Science is to disprove a negative, ie this doesn't blow up if I do this.

Amusing you think GISS, Hadley, UAH, RSS etc are fools.

You still keep avoiding the accuracy of hard numbers in measuring temperature issue. If the accuracy of measurements is questionable, so are all the good/bad projections. Temperature of the Earth +/- 1/2 of 1% over centuries? Really?
Distance to the sun, +/- 1/2 of 1%? Circumference of the Earth +.- 1/2 of 1 %? Constant output of the Sun +/- 1/2 of 1%? All are doubtful in my mind because all are dependent on who measures what when and how.

The stopped clock of the End of the Worlders has to be right some time.... now, next week, next year, or next decade just might be their hour. Not sure the above are fools, just fairly sure their paychecks influence their conclusions. Scientists are humans.

That and the cynicism that comes from having lived thru several end of the world scenarios........

Let me know when you are maxing out your credit cards and tooting around in your Ferrari....... I'll buy you a end of the world dinner and drinks!!!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Carbizene wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
That would make sense if it wasn't bollocks.

GISS is well within 3C of UAH and the proposal that UAH is out by around 3C is right up there with that sighting of Elvis filling up his VW Beetle down at the BP I had the other day.
This plot only goes back to 1979, not 1880. There was no satellite data in 1880.

Again, where are the error bars? What are the uncertainties?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17953792

This article validates my theory that fat people are the cause of global warming.....

One theory, one datapoint, I'm solid..

Carbi,

Would pictures of the unicorn tracks in my tulip garden give you pause.... ;)
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Simple Minded wrote: You still keep avoiding the accuracy of hard numbers in measuring temperature issue. If the accuracy of measurements is questionable, so are all the good/bad projections. Temperature of the Earth +/- 1/2 of 1% over centuries? Really?
Distance to the sun, +/- 1/2 of 1%? Circumference of the Earth +.- 1/2 of 1 %? Constant output of the Sun +/- 1/2 of 1%? All are doubtful in my mind because all are dependent on who measures what when and how.

The stopped clock of the End of the Worlders has to be right some time.... now, next week, next year, or next decade just might be their hour. Not sure the above are fools, just fairly sure their paychecks influence their conclusions. Scientists are humans.

That and the cynicism that comes from having lived thru several end of the world scenarios........

Let me know when you are maxing out your credit cards and tooting around in your Ferrari....... I'll buy you a end of the world dinner and drinks!!!
I'm not avoiding the accuracy issue at all, I'm saying as GISS matches UAH for the last 30 years then what they were doing prior to 78 was also accurate thus 100 years of direct measurement is accurate.

Accusations of corruption are amusing and essentially just an indication of just how bereft of any real scientific platform the new Luddites are. :D

The difference between the current scenario and other catastrophic scenarios is this is actually happening as proven by kilometer in diameter geysers of Methane.

The only credit I have access to is Student loans and I'm doing a merry job of milking that by just signing up for 2 more degrees for a sweet 20 g with no plan for repayment but hey I don't mind share houses as my entire Student debt is probably somewhere around 40g.

Over the last 4 I have started 6 different Degrees in effort to soothe my concerns about finding an out.
Last edited by Carbizene on Wed May 09, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Typhoon wrote: Again, where are the error bars? What are the uncertainties?
I think you've found the key to eternal life, just refuse to accept death as it has no error bars.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Simple Minded wrote:
Carbi,

Would pictures of the unicorn tracks in my tulip garden give you pause.... ;)
Sure, send me photos and a stool sample and I'm down.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Carbizene wrote: I'm not avoiding the accuracy issue at all, I'm saying as GISS matches UAH for the last 30 years then what they were doing prior to 78 was also accurate thus 100 years of direct measurement is accurate.

Accusations of corruption are amusing and essentially just an indication of just how bereft of any real scientific platform the new Luddites are. :D

The difference between the current scenario and other catastrophic scenarios is this is actually happening as proven by kilometer in diameter geysers of Methane.

The only credit I have access to is Student loans and I'm doing a merry job of milking that by just signing up for 2 more degrees for a sweet 20 g with no plan for repayment but hey I don't mind share houses as my entire Student debt is probably somewhere around 40g.

Over the last 4 I have started 6 different Degrees in effort to soothe my concerns about finding an out.
You are still twisting words bro. The data from two different sources agrees for the last 30 years, therefore the prior 70 years of data from only one source is thereby defined as accurate? You might want to think that one thru a little bit more.

Never said a word about corruption. But you yourself state that access to money influences your academic career. The same may be true for other people who are earning a living in academia or doing research. Give that one a little bit more thought also.

I'm gonna need your mailing address to send you that stool sample. ;)

Seriously though, if you ever do come across anything that proves the temp of the Earth can be measured within +/- 3 C, even in the last 30 years, I would love to see the methodology explained.

All the politicalization BS, Flat Earther insults, Halocaust Deniers labels, over the last 15 years, instead of just objectively presenting the data, has stained a whole field of science. It may take a few years before climatologist is not synomous with snake oil salesman for more than a few people. Al Gore tarred a lot of people with his huge brush. I'm sure damn few climatologist would consider Gore their spokesperson.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but based on my experience, I need to know a lot more about process other than "some people claiming they are smarter than me." Lots of people are, but oddly enough, usually those who say they are, often aren't. Weird how that works.

In your shoes, I would go for broke on the student loans, they will all be forgiven within 3-5 years. I would bank on it. Milk the hell out of it. When the price of education starts dropping like a rock, which it will soon, no one will be able to collect on college debt accumlated over the last 10-15 years.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Carbizene wrote: I'm not avoiding the accuracy issue at all, I'm saying as GISS matches UAH for the last 30 years then what they were doing prior to 78 was also accurate thus 100 years of direct measurement is accurate.

You are still twisting words bro. The data from two different sources agrees for the last 30 years, therefore the prior 70 years of data from only one source is thereby defined as accurate? You might want to think that one thru a little bit more.
:lol: Indeed.
Simple Minded wrote:Never said a word about corruption. But you yourself state that access to money influences your academic career. The same may be true for other people who are earning a living in academia or doing research. Give that one a little bit more thought also.
Climate research has gone from an obscure backwater to one of the best funded programs outside of the Mil Ind Complex with the AGW activists, er, scientists, jetting around the planet - fetted as media superstars.

Grant whoring has a long and venerable tradition in academia.

Who would want to go back to having to schlepp for $5,000 grants?
Simple Minded wrote:
Seriously though, if you ever do come across anything that proves the temp of the Earth can be measured within +/- 3 C, even in the last 30 years, I would love to see the methodology explained.
Seconded.
Simple Minded wrote:All the politicalization BS, Flat Earther insults, Halocaust Deniers labels, over the last 15 years, instead of just objectively presenting the data, has stained a whole field of science. It may take a few years before climatologist is not synomous with snake oil salesman for more than a few people. Al Gore tarred a lot of people with his huge brush. I'm sure damn few climatologist would consider Gore their spokesperson.
Bingo.
Simple Minded wrote:I'm not trying to change your mind, but based on my experience, I need to know a lot more about process other than "some people claiming they are smarter than me." Lots of people are, but oddly enough, usually those who say they are, often aren't. Weird how that works.
Quite right.

I would only add that the track record of supposed experts in predicting the future is absolutely abysmal. No better than any amateur, often worse: hubris.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Simple Minded wrote:
If a system is verified accurate for a reasonable time period then it is reasonable to assume for other periods it is accurate, if that system remains the same, essentially this is the basis for Science.
Never said a word about corruption. But you yourself state that access to money influences your academic career. The same may be true for other people who are earning a living in academia or doing research. Give that one a little bit more thought also.
That is hilarious, you imply that globally Scientists are making lavender up for grants ie UAH, RSS, GISS and Hadley are all in cahoots to overstate global temperature rise and then say you are not making accusations of corruption, you should run for politics. ;) ..not to mention a editing postion on Prison Planet.

Satellites orbit the planet measuring upwelling microwave radiation from atmospheric oxygen to determine Atmospheric temperature.

In your shoes, I would go for broke on the student loans, they will all be forgiven within 3-5 years. I would bank on it. Milk the hell out of it.
Will do. ;)
Yukon Cornelius

Your Global Warming Update

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

...Light snows for portions of the Kenai Peninsula and Kodiak
Island...

A weak area of low pressure developing south of Kodiak Island will
track to southern Cook Inlet on Sunday. Some of the cold air across
southwest AK will bleed across Shelikof Strait and southern Cook
Inlet tonight and allow rain to mix with or change over to wet snow
from Kodiak Island through the southern to eastern Kenai Peninsula.
Areas near sea level might expect a dusting to 1 inch...and at higher
elevations...such as the Homer Bluff and Turnagain Pass may see 3 to
5 inches of accumulation. Precipitation is expected to taper to
flurries/sprinkles from southwest to northeast through
Sunday...lingering longest over western Prince William Sound.

People traveling the Seward and Sterling highways are advised to
allow for extra time due to possible inclement conditions on mother's
day.

Jam
Typhoon

Predictions of Global Warming Past

Post by Typhoon »

WUWT | “…the Arctic Ocean could be nearly ice-free at the end of summer by 2012″

Also, from the comments section:
And repeated in 2009, and re-broadcast on June 17th 2010.

“Now, one sobering forecast is that the Arctic Ocean will be seasonally ice free by the summer of 2013.”
David Suzuki
http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureo ... cmeltdown/

‘by the summer of’ not ‘in the summer of’ or ‘after the summer of’, meaning sometime Before the summer of 2013, ie. in the low point of 2012
Who is this guy?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I think Joe Zwally used to be Joe Isuzu......

Based on the video... It would appear the Earth is not flat after all........

I think the data is not that convincing, but did you hear the soundtrack?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The starting point was in June 1988 – James Hansen’s address to Congress, where he was so sure of his science, he and Senator Tim Wirth turned off the air conditioning to make the room hotter.
The Congressional Research Service estimates that since 2008 the federal government has spent nearly $70 billion on “climate change activities.”
WUWT | Follow the money . . .

From an obscure backwater of science to US$ 10 billion per year in funding. Who on the receiving end would want to give that up and go back to writing US$ 5,000 research grant proposals?
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

So I'm guessing that the Scientists observing the kilometer in diameter geysers of Methane Clathrates dissasociating from beneath the ESS are in on the Conspiracy as well? maybe you should email them and ask about those faked Moon landings.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Carbizene wrote:So I'm guessing that the Scientists observing the kilometer in diameter geysers of Methane Clathrates dissasociating from beneath the ESS are in on the Conspiracy as well? maybe you should email them and ask about those faked Moon landings.
Arctic methane outgassing on the E Siberian Shelf part 1 - the background

Arctic methane outgassing on the E Siberian Shelf part 2 - an interview with Dr Natalia Shakhova
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

I just had a debate with a Geologist from SKS on Tamino's, apparently the longest ever, where he could not discount the proposal it is Clathrates disociating causing the geysers, in fact he strengthened the proposal by saying that Clathrates disociate when de-pressurised and seeing as the permafrost cap has 'cracked' the case for depressurisation is strong, he also stated that 'free' methane in the region is rare, also strengthening the case for Clathrates being the source.

The only unknown it seems is exactly how much Clathrate is sequestered in the region, seems safe to say a lavender load as Humans are very good at finding Organic materials in strata thus estimates are quite accurate.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Handelsblatt | Green Energy Transition: Germany Fears De-Industrialisation
As a result of Germany's green energy transition, electricity prices are exploding. Consumers and businesses are paying the price while Germany faces gradual de-industrialisation. Economists estimate that the cost of the green energy transition will total 170 billion Euros by 2020. This is more than double of what Germany would have to write off if Greece were to withdraw from the monetary union.
The promotion of renewable energy has become the largest single item of green taxes and levies. This year, the subsidies will increase to the highest ever annual figure of 14.1 billion Euros.

German industry, in particular, is suffering from high electricity prices. Most affected are the chemical, metal and paper industries. In the aluminium industry, the electricity costs amount to about 40 percent of total costs.

All industries complain; some companies have already closed down: the aluminium smelter Voerdal in the Lower Rhine town of Voerde recently filed for bankruptcy because of high energy prices. The U.S. chemical giant Dow Chemical currently operates 17 plants with more than 5,000 employees in Germany. "Because of the green energy transition I get increasingly critical questions from our corporate headquarters in the US about whether energy supply in Germany is still possible at competitive prices," said Germany boss Ralf Brinkmann.

Germany's de-industrialization has already begun

"The de-industrialization has already begun," Energy Commissioner Guenther Oettinger has warned in an interview with the Handelsblatt. Hans Jürgen Kerkhoff, President of the Steel Trade Association, complains: "The levels of industrial electricity prices are higher here than in most other countries."

Within the Federal Government, the concerns are growing: "The price of electricity has become the Achilles’ heel of the energy revolution. We must design it in such a way that electricity prices remain affordable," says Thomas Bareiß, energy policy coordinator of the Parliamentary Christian Democrats (CDU). Experts estimate that the cost of the green energy transition will total 170 billion Euros by 2020. This is more than double of what Germany would have to write off if Greece were to withdraw from the monetary union.

What is of particular concern is that Germany’s industry has helped the country to more economic growth compared to other countries during the recent years of crisis. Countries such as Britain envy Germany for the 22 percent share of industry in its GDP.
_____
A press campaign of four months will convince the German people of the rightness of any idiocy you like to suggest.

~ Alfred von Kiderlen-Waechter 1852 - 1912
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Opportunity to steal German Industry????

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:Handelsblatt | Green Energy Transition: Germany Fears De-Industrialisation
As a result of Germany's green energy transition, electricity prices are exploding. Consumers and businesses are paying the price while Germany faces gradual de-industrialisation. Economists estimate that the cost of the green energy transition will total 170 billion Euros by 2020. This is more than double of what Germany would have to write off if Greece were to withdraw from the monetary union.
The promotion of renewable energy has become the largest single item of green taxes and levies. This year, the subsidies will increase to the highest ever annual figure of 14.1 billion Euros.

German industry, in particular, is suffering from high electricity prices. Most affected are the chemical, metal and paper industries. In the aluminium industry, the electricity costs amount to about 40 percent of total costs.

All industries complain; some companies have already closed down: the aluminium smelter Voerdal in the Lower Rhine town of Voerde recently filed for bankruptcy because of high energy prices. The U.S. chemical giant Dow Chemical currently operates 17 plants with more than 5,000 employees in Germany. "Because of the green energy transition I get increasingly critical questions from our corporate headquarters in the US about whether energy supply in Germany is still possible at competitive prices," said Germany boss Ralf Brinkmann.

Germany's de-industrialization has already begun

"The de-industrialization has already begun," Energy Commissioner Guenther Oettinger has warned in an interview with the Handelsblatt. Hans Jürgen Kerkhoff, President of the Steel Trade Association, complains: "The levels of industrial electricity prices are higher here than in most other countries."

Within the Federal Government, the concerns are growing: "The price of electricity has become the Achilles’ heel of the energy revolution. We must design it in such a way that electricity prices remain affordable," says Thomas Bareiß, energy policy coordinator of the Parliamentary Christian Democrats (CDU). Experts estimate that the cost of the green energy transition will total 170 billion Euros by 2020. This is more than double of what Germany would have to write off if Greece were to withdraw from the monetary union.

What is of particular concern is that Germany’s industry has helped the country to more economic growth compared to other countries during the recent years of crisis. Countries such as Britain envy Germany for the 22 percent share of industry in its GDP.
_____
A press campaign of four months will convince the German people of the rightness of any idiocy you like to suggest.

~ Alfred von Kiderlen-Waechter 1852 - 1912
Thank you Very Much for your post, Typhoon.

Sounds like Endo may not have to worry about the Germans much longer...... ;)

Wonder who will benefit?

The French with their nuclear plants now that the Germans IIRC have given up nuclear power......

Or the Russians with their gas pipeline.............

Wonder if the Portuguese, Spaniards etc could "steal" some German industries by building cheap power plants...........

Bye Bye Kyoto maybe......

And screw the Green Germans at the same time.........????
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light