Musicology | Love 'em, Hate 'em

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Musicology | Love 'em, Hate 'em

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

This is the shared monologuing, I don't think we're talking about the same thing or people here.

And I don't have formal guitar training in mind.

Though I do think working out a "When the Saints Go Marching In" or "Greensleeves" by ear is not a bad way to start.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:20 am Though I do think working out a "When the Saints Go Marching In" or "Greensleeves" by ear is not a bad way to start.
not that their is anything wrong with that (tm) :)

and yeh, everyones expeirence, everyones use of language and reference points.. all very different.

Ive spent too much time with sheet music snobs who really look down on tabs, and I think tabs are pretty cool.

learning more about the instrument is not tied to being able to quickly check on the notes on a section of music you want to learn.

its not competiing with sheet music and its abilities and powers - its a completely different problem space.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

funnily enough, I do look down on the tab equivilants for piano.

and I also play piano by only caring about getting the phrarsing and rythym right, then dragging the midi notes up and down in the editor.

so my opinions on this are chaotic, hypocritial and borderline absurd.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Tabs have always made me anxious. The information, especially with guitar, I always want to see as a skeleton is the rhythm. There is plenty of guitar junk out there where the recordings are super soupy and if I am singing and playing, I want to know how the melody pockets exactly.

Obviously not a teacher but any means but for boys and men, developing the ear to listen and verbalizing the part is a barrier. "Sing what you hear" is a most effective tool.

Quirky revisionist thinking here: but half the appeal of punk and a bunch of other male coded folk musics was the ability to play it while being an inexperience or lousy listener.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, tabs for me is a song I already love listening too, and I want a second opinion on fingerings or chords to what Ive managed to work out by playing along.

a great tool for speeding up that process - so the rythmic information isnt essential, I know that internally already.

their is no doubt that ear training and all that is the path to better playing.

part of me wants to be able to do sheet music on more complicated things outside the rock/pop space but its more of retirement project I fear.

have managed to get regular jams going again - not with a style of music i like but im enjoying just playing with a roomfull of people for now.
Quirky revisionist thinking here: but half the appeal of punk and a bunch of other male coded folk musics was the ability to play it while having an inexperience or lousy listener.
yeh, thats definately in my crude chord chart/hand scribbled tabs space.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yep, the Clash conundrum. The minute some experience is gained, the move is away from just making noise.

------------------
I can read sheet music; sight-reading may be too much for me. My musical training was a few months, if that, of violin and flute lessons.

At this point I can't say why it was the flute; with violin, I wanted to learn to bluegrass fiddle and the rudimentary "When the Saints Go Marching In" and sheet music stuff from the get go wasn't for me.

But a more honest reflection is that it wasn't the sheet music but the social aspects. I was pretty young, and both times immediately regretted my choices. Friends took up viola or bass or drums. And here I was in all girl classes with a female instructor of the "I'm alright, you're alright" school; it was that simple.  Girly and lame.
NapLajoieonSteroids

I hear about people who had music classes and teachers who'd drill them on stuff and I wonder how I got stuck with several variations of "Everyone's okay, I don't believe in grades" teachers several times over. We were one of the last classes to have mandatory public school music classes, it was like an ambien apocalypse with teachers who were just outright spacey or depressed at their oncoming demise.

Then in private school, we had some ramshackle thing where the church organist came in (with no teaching experience) and could never manage to get past "this is a quarter note". It wasn't exactly his fault; on paper we were to meet twice a month but we maybe saw him three times a school year as teachers would cancel that for more important things.

I hear about people who had music classes and teachers who'd drill them on stuff and I wonder how I got stuck with several variations of "Everyone's okay, I don't believe in grades" teachers several times over.
noddy

Post by noddy »

it was very regimented and graded for me - certain amount of scales, techniques and standard tunes which must be played and sight read for every level, and then when you hit the right level you can get an offer to leave the school band and instead join the school orchestra, oohh allal.

handel and haydn here i come!

the kids with the top level certification, and parents who could indulge them not workiung, would then go on to music college and become performing artists (tm) - the tantacruls and bruce's and neelys etc.

the new fangled everyones ok schools were starting to become an option but my parents had no time for that nonsense.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.statsignificant.com/p/when- ... andardized

another article (with stats) on the enshittification of music,
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:24 pm it was very regimented and graded for me - certain amount of scales, techniques and standard tunes which must be played and sight read for every level, and then when you hit the right level you can get an offer to leave the school band and instead join the school orchestra, oohh allal.

the kids with the top level certification, and parents who could indulge them not workiung, would then go on to music college and become performing artists (tm) - the tantacruls and bruce's and neelys etc.

the new fangled everyones ok schools were starting to become an option but my parents had no time for that nonsense.
My parents are hardly disciplinarian types but even they find sanctioned apathy ridiculous.

Too big a topic but there are a lot of class hurdles involved; the whole thing is kinda thorny though.

I knew plenty of kids who went to music college and are having fine, if unremarkable careers. Not every one of them was haute-bourgeoise. Like, one person I have in mind, is the son of a school teacher and a nurse-- not exactly rolling in money to indulge their son's dreams. But all of them, to a certain extent, had to have developed the virtues of that class in order to clear the social barriers (and to believe fully in it-- Adam Neely, as a public figure is another good example, his mother is a teacher). Or, it's the chicken or egg: anyone with a bit of conscientiousness, agreeableness, industriousness, blahblahblah; is going to find himself or herself in good positioning.

It's the general problem: the schools-as-sorting-mechanisms may or may not be selecting well.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Handel’ing the girls and Haydn the sausage
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

or the subsequent tweet:

"Hangin' Ten!" b/w "Locked Inside My Sad Closet"
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:29 pm
Handel’ing the girls and Haydn the sausage
making them bach.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:56 am https://www.statsignificant.com/p/when- ... andardized

another article (with stats) on the enshittification of music,
This is one of the few things the attitudinal "late-stage capitalism" tags can be applied.

It's a top-down affair that the conglomerates have brought on; the graphs I wanna see is how much other advertising product sold by way of musicians in any given year.

I don't know how much Pepsi Michael Jackson sold; but hip-hop was an advertising dream with no peers in selling other products and fashions. And it became the template everything else had to match: a face; a packaged sound; product synergy.

...Rock sold a lot of televisions, audio/visual equipment. But what place does that have in a world where all of that stuff is ubiquitous? Screens everywhere; rock nowhere. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, at the end of the day, their was always money in it - and now their isnt.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Les Haricots Sont Pas Sale

https://youtu.be/NSRcxdTqNiM?si=0iDyJMFdWW-es1Qs

Zydeco is a cajunism for haricots. “Hip et Taiaut” are standard Cajun dog names - like Fido and Bowser in English - and the nonsense lyrics are put to many white and black melodies.

Alan Lomax was the ethnologist who tied Hip et Taiaut to the cowboy “Hippy Ti Yi Yo” and linked Cowboy music to the French instead of the English.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

NapLajoieonSteroids

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:21 am Les Haricots Sont Pas Sale

https://youtu.be/NSRcxdTqNiM?si=0iDyJMFdWW-es1Qs

Zydeco is a cajunism for haricots. “Hip et Taiaut” are standard Cajun dog names - like Fido and Bowser in English - and the nonsense lyrics are put to many white and black melodies.

Alan Lomax was the ethnologist who tied Hip et Taiaut to the cowboy “Hippy Ti Yi Yo” and linked Cowboy music to the French instead of the English.
This sounds awesome
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:02 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7lNtFnrHMA

the kills are kinda fun
They are. I'm a little burnt out on the female singer fronted rock band.
NapLajoieonSteroids

speaking of female singers:

I never heard of this but this is a Frank Zappa production :

GTO- Permanent Damage

If ya don't want to click on the whole album, how 'bout a selection:

I'm In Love With the OOO-OOO Man

It's a stretch but it's "what if Frank Zappa made his own Shaggs but made it with more [school play] theatricality; spoken word and psychedelic pop AND had Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck play (and compose! :shock: ) on it?"
"The GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously) were an all-girl group from the Los Angeles area. Active for only two and a half years (1968–1970) with a single reunion in 1974, their only album, Permanent Damage, produced by Frank Zappa, was released in 1969. The group initially called themselves the Cherry Sisters but soon changed it to the Laurel Canyon Ballet Company. Frank Zappa later changed their name to the GTOs. A mix of theatrics, singing, dancing, wild costumes, and unusual lyrical content were staples of their act. The album features songwriting contributions from Lowell George, Jeff Beck, and Davy Jones (Monkees). A young Rod Stewart is featured on track 14. Permanent Damage was re-issued on CD in 1989 by Enigma Retro."

featuring
Roy Estrada - Bass
Nicky Hopkins - Keyboards
Don Preston - Synthesizer
Jimmy Carl Black - Drums
Craig Doerge - Keyboards
Ian Underwood - Keyboards
Guitar – Lowell George (Track 7)
Guitar – Ry Cooder (Track 11)
Vocals – Rod Stewart (Track 14)
Jeff Beck - Guitar (Tracks 1, 14)

Frank Zappa - Producer, Tambourine
Lowell George - Producer
Herb Cohen - Engineer
spoiler alert: it's a bizarre awful and definitely exhibit A about how much contempt Frank Zappa had for other people. :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

now that my youtube algorithms are all messed up, this song brought up a few times previously has appeared:

On Stage: White Rabbit - Grace Slick and The Great Society, 1966 - The Matrix

The original before Grace Slick left to join the Jefferson Airplane and brought the song over whenever that exactly happened.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.