Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Re: Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

Post by noddy »

apparently the books have a reason the robots are gone , a prior civil war on such things.

https://screenrant.com/dune-movie-futur ... ai-reason/
In Herbert’s original Dune timeline, he briefly describes how artificial intelligence and all other thinking machines were wiped out in a series of devastating wars called the Butlerian Jihad. The original Dune novels explain that the fighting started because of an ideological schism between two factions of humanity – one that had come to rely on the thinking machines for most aspects of life, and one that believed doing so was inherently harmful to the human race. The latter group ultimately won, leading to the destruction of all thinking machines and a renewed focus on uniquely human intelligence, manifested in orders like the Mentats and the Bene Gesserits.
I think ultimately you are right - he was just riffing around on "cool lavender" with an edgelord ending and folks read way too much into it.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

heh, write what you love and all of that. :)

--------------

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:31 am My only real memory of Dune as a book was that the first 1 (or 2?) books are the earliest example I became aware of back in the day of the modern edge-lord/shitpost stuff in which the hero is really the villain, intentionally or not.

nowdays this is the norm, the boys, game of thrones, too many comic book heros to mention -- ooh aah, how spicey,

the other thing I remember is the books heading off into lala land once the main story in that initial book petered out.

.. its always been massively overrated to me, but I do like that guys visual style so will probably enjoy the movie - I enjoyed the first one just fine, despite being indifferent to the material.
Sand_worm_crew.jpg
Sand_worm_crew.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 397 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

We went to a family matinee screening of "Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire"

What can be affirmed is that it is indeed a movie product. I've seen worse, and left the theater relieved that it wasn't atrocious, but its less a movie than a series of vignettes off of a checklist of what the film needs to accomplish. In a sense it is that cynical; in another, that out of touch with how to actually milk this cash cow.

There is the original comedy, which is a nearly perfect one, that can never be repeated.

But as popular as the movie is, there is the toyline/cartoon series for millenials which for better or worse the definition of what Ghostbusters is. That there was a popular original movie is just a spanner in the works because every Ghostbusters property has to cater to both the cartoon and the original movie, which are two separate things. The success of the two, more than almost anything, leads to a singular failure to capitalize on this franchise.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Im possibly a bit jaded for nostalgia - Ghostbusters never really stayed in my memory.

the first one I do vaguely remember - the theme song atleast had a catchy bass line which Ive always loved, even if it was ripped from another tune.

Im going to just pout that the thing I do most remember from that era - cheesy arnie movies - only exists in marvel-ised forms now.

its kind of sad how many of the hilights on this list are now rebooted

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000064466/
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

The guy who does the "What Makes This Song Stink" (RHCP episode) had a point about ripoffs (starting around 14:45). Parker Jr. totally ripped off Huey Lewis but he added that bridge.

---------------

I'm going for some stolen valor here. My whinge is at least there is some vague, shadowy Arnie-semblance; where are the comedies? With the broadest stroke, I don't think there is a single funny comedy writer in the business right now; or at least one under the age of 50. They all suck- not even a single silly one or gross out one.

-----
noddy

Post by noddy »

oh absolutely - Its really hard to even imagine a comedy in the current corporatised puritan nightmares.

cant be sexist, cant be rascist, cant be ableist, cant punch down, cant punch sideways. (ya yah, all those concepts are dodgy but thats besides the point)

cant annoy sponsors or future employers...

cant annoy various quirks in various cultures and countries..

cant make a comedy :)

"The Most Hilarious Comedy Movies(2000-2023)" is a pretty scary list

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls057433882/
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I continue on in the hope that lewisaaron_1989's tastes are more singular and personal and don't have the pulse of the general viewing audience in mind. Leap of faith and all of that. :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

btw, nÜ ghostbusters, has a few brief scenes of Bill Murray. The first is a angle/reverse angle scene as a homage to his introductory scene from the original.

Then he shows up again in the finale of the third act, knocks on the door improvises some lines then there is a hard cut to this jarring shot of him alone in the scene reaching into the exposed wall of the building a pulling out a whisky bottle says some stupid line about how he knew he left it there, then proceeds to stumble around as background filler, wearing dark sunglasses. I'm pretty sure he was really intoxicated in those scenes, probably the only way to get him to do the movie in the first place.

Bizarre and sad...and maybe a summary of the whole thing.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Mank- the dramatized story about the screenwriter of Citizen Kane, filmed by David Fincher based off a screenplay from his late father, the screenwriter and journalist/editor Jack Fincher.

Smug and arrogant come to mind; 'specially when the story about the making of Citizen Kane begins to ape Kane itself. It's not worth it.

Though it did make me think of Citizen Kane again, which I haven't in a very long time. 80 years on, and all the politics and nonsense aside, it still looks good.

Same thing with Touch of Evil and its opening
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:33 am Mank- the dramatized story about the screenwriter of Citizen Kane, filmed by David Fincher based off a screenplay from his late father, the screenwriter and journalist/editor Jack Fincher.

Smug and arrogant come to mind; 'specially when the story about the making of Citizen Kane begins to ape Kane itself. It's not worth it.

Though it did make me think of Citizen Kane again, which I haven't in a very long time. 80 years on, and all the politics and nonsense aside, it still looks good.
As a fan of classic film, agreed.
Same thing with Touch of Evil and its opening
Orson Welles was an inventive master of his craft. Both as a director and as an actor.

"The Third Man", directed by Carol Reed, is a personal favourite.

The Third Man - First appearance of Harry Lime
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yes. And as far as performances go, I'd toss out his turn as Falstaff in Chimes at Midnight