Oil

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Taboo

Oil

Post by Taboo »

I was walking by an exchange house today on my way to my Russian language class, and for the first time in a few months I actually looked at the USD-rouble exchange rate. From about 28 R/$ it has plummeted to 33 or so:

or better, let me turn that around:
Oh my, oil must be getting cheaper, I thought.

Notice any similarities? ;)

Capitalist speculators from Vampire Squids and High-Freq Hedgemonsters, or simply the world rationally adapting to the Euro blowout and the China slowdown?

Too bad I get paid in roubles. :cry:
Simple Minded

Re: Oil

Post by Simple Minded »

Taboo,

IMSMO, the markets are driving.... "the manipulators" are just along for the ride. Expect more of the same.
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Nah, I'm mostly just amused by how much the rouble is a token for oil prices. You'd think with 120 million rather educated citizens, the value of the currency would have some stability due to their grounding of the rouble in their taxable income, but nope. It's all oil. :|
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Taboo wrote:Nah, I'm mostly just amused by how much the rouble is a token for oil prices. You'd think with 120 million rather educated citizens, the value of the currency would have some stability due to their grounding of the rouble in their taxable income, but nope. It's all oil. :|
I find it remarkable that in the 1950's, 60's, and 70's the former SU was correctly considered the existential threat to the US.

The space technology the SU developed back then is what is keeping the ISS supplied and inhabitable today.

Russian programmers won the most recent international programming contest.

Yes, somehow, the country does seem to be able to harness the considerable native talent for the nation's benefit.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Meet The Oil Shale Eighty Times Bigger Than The Bakken

But as great as the Bakken is, I learned last week about another oil shale play that dwarfs it. It’s called The Bazhenov. It’s in Western Siberia, in Russia. And while the Bakken is big, the Bazhenov — according to a report last week by Sanford Bernstein’s lead international oil analyst Oswald Clint — “covers 2.3 million square kilometers or 570 million acres, which is the size of Texas and the Gulf of Mexico combined.” This is 80 times bigger than the Bakken.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
Meet The Oil Shale Eighty Times Bigger Than The Bakken

But as great as the Bakken is, I learned last week about another oil shale play that dwarfs it. It’s called The Bazhenov. It’s in Western Siberia, in Russia. And while the Bakken is big, the Bazhenov — according to a report last week by Sanford Bernstein’s lead international oil analyst Oswald Clint — “covers 2.3 million square kilometers or 570 million acres, which is the size of Texas and the Gulf of Mexico combined.” This is 80 times bigger than the Bakken.
Kinda like bragging you have a $1,000,000 in your mattress. Good news for the Ruskies if true, unless of course China decides to take it.....

Could be used as collateral for loans...
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

there is so much talent in Russia .. one wonders why Russians have to go to west to become successful

All those oligarchs should put a "Venture Capital" and "incubator funds" tradition and make Russia a technology and business center .. neither talent not resources lacking

instead

something rotten seeing those Oligarch that have not earned their wealth buy British football clubs