Crowd-Science

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Enki

Crowd-Science

Post by Enki »

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2011/1 ... g-science/

My primary interest is in how this can be applied to public policy.

I also see it as an assault on the commodified model of science. How do we maintain reasonable wages for trained scientists when we crowd-source more and more of the research? Is the academy as we know it going to survive?

Jaron Lanier suggests micro-payments solve the problem of payment. I tend to agree. But I think that this sort of free work is ultimately going to undercut the very basis of payment.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Re: Crowd-Science

Post by Typhoon »

Does one need to use crowd-sourcing for fix a misdirected link?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Did not crowd sourcing cause the AGW problem?

Stands to reason that only crowd sourcing can fix it.... or eventually ignore it.....

Will be interesting to see how many opt for crowd sourcing where real expertise is needed, like surgery...
Enki

Post by Enki »

Simple Minded wrote:Did not crowd sourcing cause the AGW problem?

Stands to reason that only crowd sourcing can fix it.... or eventually ignore it.....

Will be interesting to see how many opt for crowd sourcing where real expertise is needed, like surgery...
:roll:
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

-Alexander Hamilton
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Enki wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Did not crowd sourcing cause the AGW problem?

:roll:
:lol:

You don't think crowd sourcing can solve the AGW problem?

That is just depressing.
Enki

Post by Enki »

I don't think that idea is even wrong.
-Alexander Hamilton
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Enki wrote:I don't think that idea is even wrong.
You're not even trying...... :( Apathy never solves anything......

think about the children...... :)

How many people does it take to make a crowd anyway? I've always heard three... ;)
anderson

Post by anderson »

Enki wrote:http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2011/1 ... g-science/

My primary interest is in how this can be applied to public policy.

I also see it as an assault on the commodified model of science. How do we maintain reasonable wages for trained scientists when we crowd-source more and more of the research? Is the academy as we know it going to survive?

Jaron Lanier suggests micro-payments solve the problem of payment. I tend to agree. But I think that this sort of free work is ultimately going to undercut the very basis of payment.
That's a pretty neat article.
The role of the professional scientist stays in the initial recognition of the important questions to ask, applying for funding, designing the studies, recognizing that a study will produce mounds of data that would benefit from crowdsourcing, overseeing design of the technical infrstructure for the crowdsourcing solution, and collecting and analyzing the stats of the overall higher level patterns of the collected results and helping to communicate this through research literature.
Grunt processing work is and has always been to some extent delegated - usually to low paid grad students or enthusiastic and over achieving undergrads willing to work for recommendations. This is a further extension of the concept to areas where the job is too big for the researchers' grad students to handle.
Enki

Post by Enki »

We were crowd-sourcing a political campaign. It is a workable model, but only if the core campaign staff recognize that all of the things that need to be done require actual management. That bit of things was hard to get across.
-Alexander Hamilton