admin
Site Admin

Complaints

Post by admin »

Post them here, if you must.
Marcus

Boo . . hiss . . .

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:Another opportunity promote my unique device to protect onself from a too rapid ascent into Heaven:
No more worries about "Rapture Rupture".
Call now and we will throw in a free set of Ginsu knives.
Operators are standing by.

Off-topic . . belongs in Levitas . . :(
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
YMix

Re: Your Paganism

Post by YMix »

Probably, but I figure I should be more relaxed about moderating such off-topics or I'll get myself in trouble again.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Marcus

Thanks . . .

Post by Marcus »

YMix wrote:Probably, but I figure I should be more relaxed about moderating such off-topics or I'll get myself in trouble again.
You do a good job as moderator, YMix, and you're safe on this one. The Colonel's slip is showing . . again . . ;)
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Re: Complaints

Post by Typhoon »

1/ Topical humour regarding a preceding post is fine. This forum does not cater to the easily offended.

2/ I have full confidence in YMix as a mod.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:1/ Topical humour regarding a preceding post is fine. This forum does not cater to the easily offended.

2/ I have full confidence in YMix as a mod.
1) I'm not easily offended, nor am I offended at all in this instance. Your post was simply off-topic however you care to rationalize it. Your call, the topic will survive.

2) Seconded . . I too have full confidence in YMix as a moderator.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Marcus

Re: Why are these guys always Republicans?

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:This thread was flagged for review.
The start post
http://onthenatureofthings.net/forum/vi ... 31361links to an external site which in turn quotes excerpts from the author of
Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative
Unless the above, self-published, book is a forgery, then it presumably reflects the views of it's author and thus the thread passes review.
First, the OP is but a disingenuous attempt to smear Republicans with what Ib considers to be an offensive point of view.

Second, Ib lies about what the article says. What the guy actually asked was whether a life of slavery was any more cruel than a life in Africa during that time.

Third, if anyone thinks the views expressed in that article are "Republican" views, well . . they're just plain stupid. I lived for 15 years in Red River County, Texas, a county that had not voted Republican since the Civil War, and I cannot tell you how many times I heard Democrats voice the opinions expressed in that article and much, much worse.

The entire thread doesn't even belong in Hell, the thread and its intent belong in a septic tank.
Last edited by Marcus on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

It is in the opening statement of Ibrahim:
I'm not saying this guy us indicative of the entire party..... but he's close.
This means he is stereotyping an entire community of people as "close" to being rotten. It also is in the subject title, suggestive of same.

It is one thing to link to an article or book and let the reader form his own opinion, but another to use that link to support the stereotyping smear you start with: the republican party nearly only consists of nearly complete rotten individuals.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Parodite wrote:It is in the opening statement of Ibrahim:
I'm not saying this guy us indicative of the entire party..... but he's close.
This means he is stereotyping an entire community of people as "close" to being rotten. It also is in the subject title, suggestive of same.

It is one thing to link to an article or book and let the reader form his own opinion, but another to use that link to support the stereotyping smear you start with: the republican party nearly only consists of nearly complete rotten individuals.
Bingo! A bigot is a bigot is a bigot . . we look for in others what we find in ourselves!
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Both Republicrats and Demopublicans have been unfairly. and often outrageously, smeared in posts in the US section.

It appears to be a popular national pastime, so the thin-skinned should learn to deal with it.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:Both Republicrats and Demopublicans have been unfairly. and often outrageously, smeared in posts in the US section.

It appears to be a popular national pastime, so the thin-skinned should learn to deal with it.
Nothing "thin-skinned" about thinking trash-talk belongs in Hell . . :lol:

There was nothing whatever substantive in the OP . . just another bigoted attempt to smear the opposition. It's one thing to legitimately disagree in principle, quite another to descend into bigotry and prejudice in order to accuse others of bigotry and prejudice.

If hoping for something of substance in the Current Events forum is being "thin-skinned," then count me gulty-as-charged . . ;)
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:Both Republicrats and Demopublicans have been unfairly. and often outrageously, smeared in posts in the US section.

This suggests it should be possible on this forum to unfairly and outrageously smear Islam and Muslims (as real or perceived)... without the thread ending up in Hell? That'll be the day.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:Finally a poster pointed out the obvious fallacy in this line of argument - a standard misuse and misapplication of mathematical induction - generalizing from n = 1 to an entire group.

As for shamelessness, the view from abroad is that both conservatives and liberals are equally shameless in their smears.
Skin Job spelled it out, but it has been patently obvious from the get-go that Ib's OP is sleazy attempt to smear Republicans and Conservatism with racism by quoting what Ib considers a racist and then applying his interpretation to an entire category of people. Nothing new there . . same ol' . . Liberals and Conservatives are not unique to the United States; Liberal and Conservative are transnational categories. A Liberal in, say, Canada finds Conservatives offensive wherever they're encountered.

Moreover, if anyone is naive enough to believe the views expressed in that article are Republican or Conservative views, well . . they are sadly misinformed. I lived for 15 years in Red River County, Texas, a county that had not voted Republican since before the Civil War, and I cannot tell you how many times I heard Democrats voice the opinions expressed in Ib's cited article and much, much worse.

In retrospect, the OP would best have been moved to Hell or, lacking that, perhaps to Levitas. Current Events should be reserved for more substantive topics.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Please do not post complaints in a thread, but use the appropriate section - this one.

Historically, both the US and ME subsections were created as mud pens with a cordon sanitaire - quarantine boundaries - to contain the uncivil and dirty mudslinging that both topics inevitably seem to give rise to.

The general Current Events section is held to a higher standard of more substantial topics.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Skin Job wrote:And yet, Gore's ideology, if enacted, would have caused far more damage than any of the right-wing wackos portrayed in this thread.
There is an entire long thread devoted to debunking Goreian global warming ideology.

As this thread is about [fringe] Republicrats, that's what posted.
Skin Job wrote:So, how do you like your crazies, as repulsive yet harmless fringe elements, or slick, persuasive mainstream hucksters with supremely dangerous plans?
Don't care for either. What extremists at both end of the spectrum have in common is a hate for humanity.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

I dispute the notion that the OP, or the moderators for that matter, have the authority to define what sort of ideologue the phrase "these guys" encompasses.

Q: Why are these guys always Republicans?

A: They're not. Misanthropy knows no party lines.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Skin Job wrote:I dispute the notion that the OP, or the moderators for that matter, have the authority to define what sort of ideologue the phrase "these guys" encompasses.
Either I don't understand you correctly or you don't understand how a forum works.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

YMix wrote:
Skin Job wrote:I dispute the notion that the OP, or the moderators for that matter, have the authority to define what sort of ideologue the phrase "these guys" encompasses.
Either I don't understand you correctly or you don't understand how a forum works.
Oh, I understand. You have the authority to move, delete, or ban, but you don't get to decide what words mean to us. Sorry to impugn your presumed omnipotence, sir.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

Well, you sure showed me!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Skin Job wrote:
YMix wrote:
Oh, I understand. You have the authority to move, delete, or ban, but you don't get to decide what words mean to us. Sorry to impugn your presumed omnipotence, sir.
If there was only "Republicrats are naughty" or "Demopublicans are nasty" threads and posts in the US section, then you might have a valid argument.

However, this is clearly not the case, there is plenty of both to go around, so what exactly is your issue?
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Skin Job wrote:
YMix wrote:
Well, you sure showed me!
I'll remind you to keep a civil tone when you address the staff. You don't pay them to take your guff.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

I apologise for my ingratitude, and appreciate the opportunity to freely express selected opinions here on the forum.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Skin Job wrote:I apologise for my ingratitude, and appreciate the opportunity to freely express selected opinions here on the forum.
Do you actually also behave in such a manner in person?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Farcus wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Skin Job wrote:. . The truly great are almost universally humble, while pretenders need to strut and swagger.
A nice point, Skin Job, and nicely taken.
"Ye shall know them by their hubris" . . . :?:
Works for me . . should be the motto of these fora . . . :oops:
People who have conversations with their sock puppets are pathetic.
I went back and clicked on "Display this post" in order to find out what generated the subsequent exchange that was moved to Hell. No problem with that.'

But why wasn't F's bullshit post (above) that started the whole thing not moved to Hell as well? It's plainly ad hominem abuse of me/Skin Job.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

Typhoon wrote:
Skin Job wrote:I apologise for my ingratitude, and appreciate the opportunity to freely express selected opinions here on the forum.
Do you actually also behave in such a manner in person?
I am sincere in my gratitude for being allowed to post. Forgive me for the rest, please, I am not accustomed to being "moderated" in this fashion, and I was a bit upset.