Firearms and other Weapons

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
cdgt

Re: Firearms and other Weapons

Post by cdgt »

This is interesting.

Over the last 4 years I have seen an unbelievable increase in the size of the industry. According to a FOIA we submitted to the NFA Branch of the BATFE, in 2008 there were just over 20,000 form 4 transfers for silencers. In 2011 they recorded over 50,000. Also, after asking the NFA branch how many forms 4 transfers for silencers they project for 2012 they said over 70,000! If you average the silencer industry growth for the last 5 years its approximately 26% per year.

I've been thinking about one...
cdgt

Post by cdgt »

I'd be interested in the fetish deconstruction analysis of these.

(Edit. Picture too big. You're gonna hafta click the link.)

;)
cdgt

Post by cdgt »

Ruger SR22 Review

HrfliJP-T3k
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Here you go, guys and girls . . why we carry guns up here . . .

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... the-season
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
The caliber decrease for service rifles has occurred for lots of reasons, primarily advances in riflery and tech. Musket squares and firing on line are not really examples of high art. More industrial murder with poor tools. While gravelbelly target shooting has seen it's heyday pass, more realistic shooting is expected of modern troops than ever before. Troops acquire and engage faster, at greater ranges, than they have previously been able with the tools provided. Round for round accuracy is almost irrelevant. It comes down to this: you'd have to be a fool to pick anything anybody ever issued before something like a SCAR-L or an M4 SOPMOD. My poodle shooter isn't the equal of either of those things, but I'll take my rifle with a basic load over any M14, M1, M1903, etc. any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
As good a summary of the issue as I have seen.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Some thoughts on current long range shooting issues

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The sniper world continues to evolve.

For half a century the US standard sniper platform has been the bolt action 308, in Win Model 70 or Remington 700. 10 or 20 years ago the 50 BMG came into the fore as an addition, a LR anti-material weapon with great effect. Further, we have seen the AR-10 sniperized and it has made an impact.

For over 10 years we have seen an established duality in the sniper world of the issue M40 bolt gun and essentially the Barrett 50, with a sniper team employing either option based on the mission objective.

Recently the 338 Lapua Magnum became a 3rd option, a best of both worlds or jack of all trades-master of none compromise. Ballistically superior to the 308 and capable of serious anti-material damage although not to the level of the 50, and handling wise a split in size between the platforms.

So we have the 308, 50, and 338 Lapua.

Sometimes despite ever increasing technology the shooting world is slow to adopt changes. Eg, the 408 Cheytac and the 416 Barrett clearly outperform the 50 BMG at long ranges but neither have surpassed the 50 in usage, not even close. Both rounds may eventually "fail" and become obscure. IMV that would be ridiculous but it would not be the first time something like that happened. The question is will the 50 ever be replaced by either round, and right now it is an open question.

Our second example is the competition the 308 is undergoing from the 6.5 lapua, 7mm mags and 300 mags. Strong arguments exist for the superiority of all 3 rounds and frankly in the tactical community the 308 is beginning to be viewed like Chuck Taylors. It is a question which round will replace the 308 (probably the 300winmag, not my choice) but I think it is a matter of when not if. That is not to say the 308 is on it's way to extinction, hardly anybody needs a muzzle brake using it, it hardly loses anything as you shorten the barrel to 20 inches and it is manageable in lightweight configuration. However, it simply isn't as good ballistically at longer ranges.

Most interestingly there is a new player in the game, the 375-408 Cheytac, a 408 necked down to seat a 375 projo. Right now it is considered by LR wildcatters as the best performing super LR cartridge out there, a feasible option out to 2,000 yards. The issue is it is somewhat like the F-22, a monster performer in search of a real world application. Will it ever be adopted by the US military? Almost certainly no, but some are saying that it will be the king of 2,000 yard shooting and beyond (or maybe more precisely opens up the world to 2,000 yard + shooting) for decades to come.

If anybody wants to read up on it you can start here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... er=1791259
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Thu May 03, 2012 1:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Marcus wrote:Here you go, guys and girls . . why we carry guns up here . . .

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... the-season
You have to watch out for bears especially heavily armed ones
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

WphNO24h9nA
Been busy doing stuff
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

How to be the most popular guy in your squad.

KT2Xhp9QvBQ
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Mark Anderson, Smart Bullets

The “Mini-Me” of smart-bomb technology is ready to leave the lab

http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/innova ... rt-bullets
A team of engineers at Sandia National Laboratories, in Albuquerque, is ­completing a testable prototype of the world’s first laser-guided ­bullet. Like a “mini-me” of smart bombs, this patented technology has some of the same computerized control and guidance features found on proven Gulf War weaponry, such as the Paveway series of laser-guided bombs. 

An infrared laser illuminates a target, which the bullet’s optical sensors follow. An onboard tracking chip calculates the course corrections, carried out by four actuator-controlled fins on the bullet’s body. The end result, says Larry Shipers, manager of system technologies at Sandia, is a bullet that could improve its shooter’s marksmanship by 98 percent, at distances between 1 and 2 kilometers. 

Shipers says the technology has already cleared a hurdle that experts had said couldn’t be overcome: the survival of the battery and chip, despite their being fired out of a .50-caliber rifle. Launch tests found that the munition’s innards did indeed stand up to the crushing 120 000 g-force acceleration and 344.7 megapascals (50 000 pounds per square inch) of pressure as the bullet comes hurtling out of the barrel. The next step is to find a commercial partner that can turn the ideas now being bench-tested into a field-ready bullet. 

“We believe we can get to a full-up prototype using primarily existing technology,” says Shipers.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Cold dead hands and whatnot.
UNITED NATIONS – A treaty being hammered out this month at the United Nations -- with Iran playing a key role -- could expose the records of America's gun owners to foreign governments -- and, critics warn, eventually put the Second Amendment on global trial.
Please, please, Mr Assminingdabutt, please come get them. Seriously, I'll pay your genuflecting plane ticket for the opportunity.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Cold dead hands and whatnot.
UNITED NATIONS – A treaty being hammered out this month at the United Nations -- with Iran playing a key role -- could expose the records of America's gun owners to foreign governments -- and, critics warn, eventually put the Second Amendment on global trial.
Please, please, Mr Assminingdabutt, please come get them. Seriously, I'll pay your genuflecting plane ticket for the opportunity.
Indeed.

--T.S. Eliot
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Antipatros wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:Cold dead hands and whatnot.
Indeed.

I like the way Fox News spins some empty symbolism as an existential threat to American gun racks. Potentially nuke Tel Aviv? I oppose that. Potentially take my .303? WHYYOUSONOFA#%@&$!!!! *gunshots*
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

He's not doing either. I just find it galling that someone helping Syria is allowed to even be heard on the issue.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Antipatros wrote:Image

Mark Anderson, Smart Bullets

The “Mini-Me” of smart-bomb technology is ready to leave the lab

http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/innova ... rt-bullets
A team of engineers at Sandia National Laboratories, in Albuquerque, is ­completing a testable prototype of the world’s first laser-guided ­bullet. Like a “mini-me” of smart bombs, this patented technology has some of the same computerized control and guidance features found on proven Gulf War weaponry, such as the Paveway series of laser-guided bombs. 

An infrared laser illuminates a target, which the bullet’s optical sensors follow. An onboard tracking chip calculates the course corrections, carried out by four actuator-controlled fins on the bullet’s body. The end result, says Larry Shipers, manager of system technologies at Sandia, is a bullet that could improve its shooter’s marksmanship by 98 percent, at distances between 1 and 2 kilometers. 

Shipers says the technology has already cleared a hurdle that experts had said couldn’t be overcome: the survival of the battery and chip, despite their being fired out of a .50-caliber rifle. Launch tests found that the munition’s innards did indeed stand up to the crushing 120 000 g-force acceleration and 344.7 megapascals (50 000 pounds per square inch) of pressure as the bullet comes hurtling out of the barrel. The next step is to find a commercial partner that can turn the ideas now being bench-tested into a field-ready bullet. 

“We believe we can get to a full-up prototype using primarily existing technology,” says Shipers.
This is fantastic!!!!

Given the current obsession in America for blaming inanimate objects for the actions of human beings, the creation of smart bullets means the end of gun control laws in the US.

Cept course you have to make it illegal to buy dumb bullets!
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Simple Minded wrote:
This is fantastic!!!!

Given the current obsession in America for blaming inanimate objects for the actions of human beings, the creation of smart bullets means the end of gun control laws in the US.

Cept course you have to make it illegal to buy dumb bullets!
Especially Dum Dums. ;) (Not sure if a lame joke about Indian Pattern expanding bullets will play in Peoria, but what the heck.)

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

_44AaoNZcHg
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Sunday, 19 August 2012, was the 70th anniversary of the Dieppe raid, one of the worst debacles of the Second World War. Finally there's a sensible explanation for why Operation Jubilee was mounted:

Battle of Dieppe uncovered; James Bond creator involved
wGR9qN8oxcQ

Forgive me for considering the 4-rotor Enigma machine a "weapon," but it certainly gave the U-boats the veil of secrecy they needed.

EDIT: (The full documentary is currently available on the History Television Canada website. Select "Dieppe Uncovered" in the Featured Docs and Specials section.)
Last edited by Antipatros on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Top Guns Preview
http://www.history.com/shows/top-guns/v ... ns-preview

Top Guns

http://www.history.com/shows/top-guns/a ... t-top-guns
You’ve seen some of the country’s best marksmen compete in the hit HISTORY series Top Shot. Now, H2 brings you Top Guns, which highlights the types of weapons those sharpshooters have so skilfully mastered. Each week, host Colby Donaldson will be joined by two expert marksmen in a true test of firepower. They will lock and load three iconic weapons and decide which one outshines the others through some healthy competition. Along the way, viewers will discover the amazing history behind such famous firearms as the Kentucky flintlock, the M14 and the legendary Colt .45 revolver. Find out which of these historic weapons prove to be the world's Top Guns.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Interesting picture. Is that a CO2 gun?
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Antipatros wrote:
Himalayan Imports Kukri Review (15" BAS)
Q0SEE4C3Jfg
(I own this model myself and recommend it highly.)
Very nice. I would imagine that this knife would be very good for harvesting sugar cane.
cultivate a white rose
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Just as this one makes an admirable cod bat.

Nova, Secrets of the Viking Sword

A modern-day swordsmith reverse engineers the ultimate weapon of the Middle Ages — a sword both prized and feared

Airing October 10, 2012 at 9 pm on PBS

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/se ... sword.html
The Vikings were among the fiercest warriors of all time. Yet only a select few carried the ultimate weapon of their era: the feared Ulfberht sword. Fashioned using a process that would remain unknown to the Vikings’ rivals for centuries, the Ulfberht was a revolutionary high-tech tool as well as a work of art. Considered one of the greatest swords ever made, it remains a fearsome weapon more than a millennium after it last saw battle. But how did Viking sword makers design and build the Ulfberht, and what was its role in history? Now, NOVA uses cutting edge science and old-fashioned detective work to reconstruct the Ulfberht and finally unravel the "Secrets of the Viking Sword."

--T.S. Eliot
cincinnatus

Post by cincinnatus »

http://www.defensereview.com/chiappa-rh ... lications/

Weird looking gun, but I held the 60DS at a shop and it feels good. Nice weight, and both the single action and double action are smooth.
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

cincinnatus wrote:http://www.defensereview.com/chiappa-rh ... lications/

Weird looking gun, but I held the 60DS at a shop and it feels good. Nice weight, and both the single action and double action are smooth.
I used to own a S&W Highway Patrolman .357—with a 5" barrel if memory serves. I hated that gun with a passion . . the report would blow my ears off . . could hardly stand to shoot it. Ended up trading it for a Ruger Single-action (don't get excited, Ib) .44 mag, which I loved.

Can't imagine what the model above must sound like. What do you know about the model further down the page . . looks like it's ported down? For recoil or for noise?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin