Romney vs. Obama

YMix

Re: Romney vs. Obama

Post by YMix »

I'm curious: what happens if Obama wins the electoral vote, but not the popular vote? Will the hopechange guy bow to the will of the people?
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

And lose Air Force One as his golf cart?.........

Post by monster_gardener »

YMix wrote:I'm curious: what happens if Obama wins the electoral vote, but not the popular vote? Will the hopechange guy bow to the will of the people?
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Ymix.

And lose Air Force One as his golf cart?.........

;) :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair, IMVHO neither would Romney.........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

YMix wrote:I'm curious: what happens if Obama wins the electoral vote, but not the popular vote? Will the hopechange guy bow to the will of the people?

He's pledged to eat his own face on live television; between the prime-time programming, so none of the fine citizens of this country will miss a minute of the brilliant comic pairing of Ashton Kutcher and Jon Crier in Two and A Half Men.

...that little girl who calls him Bronco Bama will provide the post-meal analysis and tell us how this might effect midterm elections as well as relating it to the time President Benjamin Harrison ate his own period or how Vice President Aaron Burr strangled a hooker.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The impression I now have is that some pundits + pollsters are predicting a Romney sweep of the EC, while others are predicting an Obama sweep.

Someone is clearly wrong.

One gets the impression that pundits have abandoned any and all objectivity about possible outcomes in favour of promoting their preferred candidate.

Perhaps trying to get the undecided to cast their ballot with the supposed winning side?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... y/1681023/
Carolina Panthers fans are likely pretty pleased with their team's ability to win for the first time since Week 2, but one man is likely even happier.

History dictates that the Panthers 21-13 victory over the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field bodes well for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. In the 18 presidential elections that have taken place since the Redskins moved to Washington in 1937, 17 have been predicted by the team's performance in its final home game prior to the election.
Been busy doing stuff
Apollonius

Re: Japan Sinks.........

Post by Apollonius »

monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: . . .

Everyone loves to talk about oceans rising, yet I wonder if anyone has tried to measure how much US coastal megacities are sinking over the last 100 years?

I know Japan has measured the sink rate of some of their cities, but I am not aware of anyone in the US who has done so.
MMGW is often blamed for flooding in Venice when in fact it is that due to Venice sinking.

I don't know about Japanese cities, but Kansai Intl Airport - KIX, built on a man-made island, has been continuously sinking since it was first built,

So far it has sunk ~ 8m.

The terminal, which I think is the longest in the world, is built on columns whose height can be adjusted as different parts settle at different rates.

And then there is the 2006 movie Sinking of Japan [full movie with subtitles] and the parody Everyone Other than Japan Sinks

Okay, far off topic. Sorry.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Typhoon.

I remember a book called Japan Sinks........

Fortunately most of the population was able to escape to other places that wanted the skilled Japanese populace.........

Though some older men decided to go down with the homeland.......

This may be the book..... Was memorable..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Sinks.

Noticed that it has an link to a parody where everything but Japan sinks...........
In the year 2011 the greatest tectonic disaster in the history of mankind occurs. As a result of catastrophic earthquakes North and South America, Eurasia, Africa and Australia have sunken underwater while the Japanese islands remain untouched.

Japan suddenly discovers that it is the destination for all the world's surviving refugees. Consequently, they are all forced to make uncomfortable adjustments in order to share the world's last habitable landmass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Igai_Zenbu_Chinbotsu

That would be an "interesting" world......... Just off hand I would imagine that it would have huge waves and storms.......

There's a fascinating book about the future published in the eighties. I thought about it again in connection with the news item I posted recently about self-healing materials because the author talks about bacteria programmed to construct entire cities. Just add water, and poof: Tokyo is rebuilt.

Your post reminded me that it also forecasts that most of Japan is destroyed and much of sinks beneath the sea in a series of catastrophic earthquakes.

Not really sure if your plans for emigrating to the Southern Hemisphere are completely reliable either. Shortly before Tokyo is levelled, Buenos Aires is struck by a nuclear bomb and the city is annihilated in the first full-scale nuclear exchange (between Argentina and Brazil). After this, thankfully, international cooperation manages to outlaw all nuclear weapons.

The authors get some things wrong. But the seawalls constructed to protect New York sound about right. Also quite prescient about the Internet (called 'The Network", which users access with "Telescreens").

The Age of Crisis doesn't end until around 2160, so until then, there will be too many interesting times to get bored (if you're still breathing and can participate). Life-extension results in people living almost 200 years, but typically most people reject rejuvenation after they get to be that old-- seems that even with all these wonderous inventions and opportunities at their disposal, people eventually grow tired of living. The part on demographics is interesting. The population stabalizes, then slowly declines. New York has 6 million people in the year 3000; London has 4 million, same as Tokyo, which has re-established itself after the earthquakes.

In the far future, humans are engineered to be able to live in space colonies, even underwater, however, this creates its own problems as these space people and marine people cannot live on solid earth.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:The impression I now have is that some pundits + pollsters are predicting a Romney sweep of the EC, while others are predicting an Obama sweep.

Someone is clearly wrong.

One gets the impression that pundits have abandoned any and all objectivity about possible outcomes in favour of promoting their preferred candidate.

Perhaps trying to get the undecided to cast their ballot with the supposed winning side?
Yes.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

No, nobody would do that nor should they.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Washington Post is buying in to the oversampled Democrat issue. They sort of have to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... lose-race/
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's likely we'll know early, that is if Mitt wins PA it's over, likewise if Bams wins VA or FL. If not Captain Obvious OH, but there is a chance it's wrapped up real early.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lady loves Roms, libs hate the lady. War on women.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/ ... ate-ensues
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Southern and Space Musings......

Post by monster_gardener »

Apollonius wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: . . .

Everyone loves to talk about oceans rising, yet I wonder if anyone has tried to measure how much US coastal megacities are sinking over the last 100 years?

I know Japan has measured the sink rate of some of their cities, but I am not aware of anyone in the US who has done so.
MMGW is often blamed for flooding in Venice when in fact it is that due to Venice sinking.

I don't know about Japanese cities, but Kansai Intl Airport - KIX, built on a man-made island, has been continuously sinking since it was first built,

So far it has sunk ~ 8m.

The terminal, which I think is the longest in the world, is built on columns whose height can be adjusted as different parts settle at different rates.

And then there is the 2006 movie Sinking of Japan [full movie with subtitles] and the parody Everyone Other than Japan Sinks

Okay, far off topic. Sorry.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Typhoon.

I remember a book called Japan Sinks........

Fortunately most of the population was able to escape to other places that wanted the skilled Japanese populace.........

Though some older men decided to go down with the homeland.......

This may be the book..... Was memorable..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Sinks.

Noticed that it has an link to a parody where everything but Japan sinks...........
In the year 2011 the greatest tectonic disaster in the history of mankind occurs. As a result of catastrophic earthquakes North and South America, Eurasia, Africa and Australia have sunken underwater while the Japanese islands remain untouched.

Japan suddenly discovers that it is the destination for all the world's surviving refugees. Consequently, they are all forced to make uncomfortable adjustments in order to share the world's last habitable landmass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Igai_Zenbu_Chinbotsu

That would be an "interesting" world......... Just off hand I would imagine that it would have huge waves and storms.......

There's a fascinating book about the future published in the eighties. I thought about it again in connection with the news item I posted recently about self-healing materials because the author talks about bacteria programmed to construct entire cities. Just add water, and poof: Tokyo is rebuilt.

Your post reminded me that it also forecasts that most of Japan is destroyed and much of sinks beneath the sea in a series of catastrophic earthquakes.

Not really sure if your plans for emigrating to the Southern Hemisphere are completely reliable either. Shortly before Tokyo is levelled, Buenos Aires is struck by a nuclear bomb and the city is annihilated in the first full-scale nuclear exchange (between Argentina and Brazil). After this, thankfully, international cooperation manages to outlaw all nuclear weapons.

The authors get some things wrong. But the seawalls constructed to protect New York sound about right. Also quite prescient about the Internet (called 'The Network", which users access with "Telescreens").

The Age of Crisis doesn't end until around 2160, so until then, there will be too many interesting times to get bored (if you're still breathing and can participate). Life-extension results in people living almost 200 years, but typically most people reject rejuvenation after they get to be that old-- seems that even with all these wonderous inventions and opportunities at their disposal, people eventually grow tired of living. The part on demographics is interesting. The population stabalizes, then slowly declines. New York has 6 million people in the year 3000; London has 4 million, same as Tokyo, which has re-established itself after the earthquakes.

In the far future, humans are engineered to be able to live in space colonies, even underwater, however, this creates its own problems as these space people and marine people cannot live on solid earth.

Thank you VERY Much for your reply and for your VERY KIND Words elsewhere.......

If you remember the name/author of the book, please PM me.... Sounds interesting ........ Reminds me of a number of books..... Most of whose titles are on senior moment ;) :roll: ........
Not really sure if your plans for emigrating to the Southern Hemisphere are completely reliable either.
You may be right.

The thought of nukes in the Southern Hemisphere is IMVHO very unsettling to the future of the human race.......
Not that IMVHO the Southern Hemisphere could not take some radiation..... just like the Northern Hemisphere already has from Hiroshima to the end of open air nuclear tests...... *

The danger is that too many Cobalt Bombs will be used...... Most likely from a Israeli/Muslim conflict... Thought there are many other possibilities.. :evil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salted_bomb

If the nukes go off in the North Hemisphere, the Doldrums (Intertropical Convergence Zone) which are very roughly along the equator may slow the spread of the fallout long enough that people far enough south in the Southern Hemisphere might survive particularly if they prepare properly... not just wait for the end On the Beach ;) :roll: in Oz..... and let humanity go down the Shute... ;) oops I mean chute....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_%28novel%29

But really there are other things besides nukes that could be genocidal or at least civilization destroying....... Bio-warfare in particular.....

IMVHO the solution is to get the human race dispersed across Outer Space...... So that potentially just one nut with his or her fingers on a launch lever or messing around in a lab does not destroy the human race........

We are a violent species..... depraved sinful killer apes is my favorite term though Noddy's "Egotistical Chaos Monkeys" is good too and funnier.......

But G_d seems to love us and I love cats and cats are often even more violent and destroy their children even more than we so I want to give all of us, cats, dogs, apes, pigs ;) etc...... the best chance we have barring a miracle like the Messiah returning again soon or mostly benign beings like the Culture contacting us...

But even that will/could be disastrous........ Woe to they who long for the Day of the Lord....... And best to Look to Windward if you are placing your hopes on the Culture or ET............

http://www.sfsite.com/11b/lw93.htm

*Actually my quick and dirty Orion Nuclear Rocket would raise radiation levels some...... :| but IMVHO if it gets sustainable colonies set up on the Moon, Mars, Asteroids etc..... it is worth the price.... And besides, unless we keep getting lucky playing Nuclear Russian Roulette but with Bring on the Chaos MADhi Men and similar instead of Relatively Rational Russian Athiests...... the nukes are going to get used anyway maybe with cobalt casings instead of without...........
http://rense.com/general40/dooms.htm
Last edited by monster_gardener on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

Mr. Perfect wrote:It's likely we'll know early, that is if Mitt wins PA it's over, likewise if Bams wins VA or FL. If not Captain Obvious OH, but there is a chance it's wrapped up real early.
I saw an unlikely but amusing scenario where Romney loses OH and PA but won IA, NV, and CO, resulting in a 269-269 electoral tie, like this:

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_p ... mapid=bpph
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

yAdPchtM0OI
Been busy doing stuff
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Speaking of shamans, Silver's blog has Obama winning by another three EC votes every time I've looked at it, well over 300 now.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Chris Rock's message to white people -elect a white president you can trust
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

About US$ 6 billion was spent on this election making it the most expensive election in history.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

I am genuinely curious about the outcome. It is very likely that this election will have a significant long-term impact, with Ginsburg 79 and Obamacare under the sword.

Do you guys think this is the last time GOP has a plausible chance to win without a 180 on Latinos, or will this just reinforce current GOP attitudes towards winning coalition recruitment?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ugh, Democrats have it in the bag.

pchwcD4IPzs
YMix

Post by YMix »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Your trust in democracy is duly noted.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Taboo wrote:I am genuinely curious about the outcome. It is very likely that this election will have a significant long-term impact, with Ginsburg 79 and Obamacare under the sword.

Do you guys think this is the last time GOP has a plausible chance to win without a 180 on Latinos, or will this just reinforce current GOP attitudes towards winning coalition recruitment?
It's way more complicated than that.
Simple Minded

Whooo Hoo almost over...

Post by Simple Minded »

My Fellar Merikans,

Happi Lection Day!!!!

So far call in to a local radio station from a couple dozen voters are for an unprecedented turn out. Everyone who has been to the polls has said that they have never seen lines at the polling stations like today.

Maybe the American voter is finally waking up.

Or else high unemployment means people don't have to miss work to vote....

Soon we will be able to put the campaign behind us and go back to calling everyone racists and communists.....
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Your trust in democracy is duly noted.
Democracy is three wolves and two sheep voting on what to have for dinner.