Voter ID laws

Skin Job

Re: Voter ID laws

Post by Skin Job »

For the record, the PA law was enacted over six months before the election. That's over a quarter million "last minutes."

http://articles.mcall.com/2012-10-02/ne ... f-state-id
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I think we will see a national ID in the US before Obama leaves office. Florida has already implemented "Real ID" statutes, which require much more documentation to obtain a state ID or driver's license.

Absentee ballots and voting machine gaffing is future of voting fraud. It is much more effective than when we had to physically move unemployed people around on school buses from precinct to precinct.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Skin Job wrote:For the record, the PA law was enacted over six months before the election. That's over a quarter million "last minutes."
Yes, it was during this interim that the state GOP speaker bragged that the measures would win Romney the state.

In any case the combination of attention that got during this election, and the organized response of getting out the vote from the targeted communities, this is unlikely ot be a strategy or issue from this point on.

Worth noting, most of the examples of people who were to be excluded by this measure were extremely elderly, often widowed, so they never had any need for ID, yet had been voting for decades. Though these were of course the choice examples put forth by (largely successful) opponents of these suppression efforts.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

Nice misdirection.

Were there really any non-activists out there trying to say that six months is not enough time to get an ID card?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ibrahim wrote: Yes, it was during this interim that the state GOP speaker bragged that the measures would win Romney the state.
All politicians always say that they will always win whatever election is coming up. The enormity of the nothingburger you've shoved molar deep cannot be adequately measured.
Censorship isn't necessary
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Skin Job wrote:Nice misdirection.
I made no misdirection.

Were there really any non-activists out there trying to say that six months is not enough time to get an ID card?
Evidently. The suppression efforts were widely reviled by non-conservatives.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

An ID requirement can only suppress fraud. Six months is ample time to obtain ID.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

I haven't checked this thread in weeks, because Skin Job won the argument at least 80 posts ago. What have I missed?
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:I haven't checked this thread in weeks, because Skin Job won the argument at least 80 posts ago. What have I missed?
Thanks, but I guess nobody got the memo. This is what set me off again:
Ibrahim wrote:Now that there is no election looming it would be a fine time to create a voter ID system and provide all eligible voters with ID, well ahead of the next election.
Which means to me that Ibrahim was being disingenuous all during this discussion, since at no point did he indicate the timeline was his sole objection.

I enter into these discussions in good faith, with the assumption that other thoughtful people can come to different conclusions given the same data, and this discussion group is a way to hash things out. What I'm not prepared for is realization that some will lie by omission or worse to support some ideological end. I know it must seem distressingly naive, but I just don't like having to come to grips with that. :|
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:I haven't checked this thread in weeks, because Skin Job won the argument at least 80 posts ago. What have I missed?
:lol:

Sure, buddy.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Skin Job wrote:Which means to me that Ibrahim was being disingenuous all during this discussion,
Well hey, you couldn't defend your claims, buried your head in the sand when given proof-positive out of the mouths of the state GOP, but now that all is said and done at least you're going out on your shield by implying that I'm a liar.

I enter into these discussions in good faith
Nope, you just rehashed the brain-dead opinion that every conservative made in complete lockstep on this issue.