Holy Moly

NapLajoieonSteroids

Holy Moly

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

In all the talk about Presidents and Pot, we completely missed the story about Puerto Rico voting (what appears to be) in favor of statehood! :o

BBC report

another link on the two-part referendum they held

The second link quote the Houston Chronicle as saying:
The two-part referendum first asked voters if they wanted to change Puerto Rico’s 114-year relationship with the United States. A second question gave voters three alternatives if they wanted a change: become a U.S. state, gain independence, or have a "sovereign free association," a designation that would give more autonomy for the territory of 4 million people.

With 243 of 1,643 precincts reporting late Tuesday, 75,188 voters, or 53 percent, said they did not want to continue under the current political status. Forty-seven percent, or 67,304 voters, supported the status quo.

On the second question, 65 percent favored statehood, followed by 31 percent for sovereign free association and 4 percent for independence.

[...]

Puerto Rico held non-binding referendums in 1967, 1993 and 1998, with statehood never garnering a clear majority and independence never obtaining more than 5 percent of the vote.

This may be a fascinating development.
anderson

Re: Holy Moly

Post by anderson »

Wow. Yeah. How does that work, legally, adding states to the union? Does the Constitution have a procedure for that? I forget.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

My first thought was "Why a post about molybdenum?" in the US section.

Interesting the that romance of the pro-independence movement has faded.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Snowdrops Keep Me From Going Out of my Head Re: Holy Moly

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:My first thought was "Why a post about molybdenum?" in the US section.

Interesting the that romance of the pro-independence movement has faded.
Thank You Very Much for your post, Typhoon.

;) :lol:

Good one!!!!

But moly is a plant that can keep you from turning into a Pig, Lion, Wolf etc... OR thinking that you have.......

May have had anti-hallucinogenic properties........

See Odysseus's encounter with the Witch Circe........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moly_%28herb%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowdrop
Galanthus (Snowdrop; Greek gála "milk", ánthos "flower") is a small genus of about 20 species of bulbous herbaceous plants in the family Amaryllidaceae, subfamily Amaryllidoideae.[1] Most flower in winter, before the vernal equinox (20 or 21 March in the Northern Hemisphere), but certain species flower in early spring and late autumn.

It was suggested by Andreas Plaitakis and Roger Duvoisin in 1983 that the mysterious magical herb moly that appears in Homer's Odyssey is actually snowdrop. An active substance in snowdrop is called galantamine, which, as anticholinesterase, could have acted as an antidote to Circe's poisons.[9] Galantamine (or galanthamine) can be helpful in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, though it is not a cure;[citation needed] the substance also occurs naturally in daffodils and other narcissi.[citation needed]

Snowdrops contain also an active lectin or agglutinin named GNA for Galanthus nivalis agglutinin.[citation needed] Potatoes have been genetically modified with the GNA gene.[citation needed] In 1998 Árpád Pusztai said in an interview on a World in Action programme that his group had observed damage to the intestines and immune systems of rats fed the genetically modified potatoes. He also said "If I had the choice I would certainly not eat it", and that "I find it's very unfair to use our fellow citizens as guinea pigs".[10] These remarks started the so-called Pusztai affair.
VILWkqlQLWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VILWkqlQLWk

I may copy this to the Hallucinogenic Thread
Last edited by monster_gardener on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
NapLajoieonSteroids

anderson wrote:Wow. Yeah. How does that work, legally, adding states to the union? Does the Constitution have a procedure for that? I forget.
Well, if I remember correctly, the constitution doesn't say much about it- I mean there have been pretty different standards for the states as they have joined.

In general though, to be admitted statehood, the territory has have a certain population size and petition Congress, establish an approved constitution that comports with current US federal standards, then a simple majority vote in Congress votes and if the President signs off on it, they are in.

Now a few caveats, EDIT: I just checked the BBC updated report, they are saying the measure to change the relationship to the US passed by 54% with most of the votes counted- so my first caveat no longer applies.

EDIT: I don't know how official this is: again, on BBC- they call it a non-binding referendum, so even if it passes I suppose they'd have to have another "official" referendum.

To that I say that a vote where 60 to 70 percent of the population votes for statehood when that same option, in the past, never achieved a majority, is a pretty telling sign of which way the wind is blowing. The few sites I've read seem to conclude with the idea that this may not be technically binding, but we may start to see the beginnings of process.

The President has said that he will respect the wishes of Puerto Ricans to join if there is a clear majority for it (which may actually be the case.) Domestically it would be intriguing if it were brought up before Congress...would the Republicans risk alienating Hispanic votes in order to avoid what would most likely be two more automatic Democratic Senators or would they take the charge on getting them statehood and anger a lot of people....

Also keep in mind what Puerto Rico may do financially to the States- if it joined today, it'd be poorest state in the union by far...you could basically take Alabama's numbers and cut them by half to get to Puerto Rico...we might not be able to afford to take them in....

One More Further Addendum Here:

No US territory that wishes to join the union has ever been denied. Off the record, President Obama told the Des Moines Register that “Since this is off the record, I will just be very blunt. Should I win a second term, a big reason I will win a second term is because the Republican nominee and the Republican Party have so alienated the fastest-growing demographic group in the country, the Latino community,” Obama told the paper, noting that immigration reform legislation would be a top priority."

I cannot see that this does NOT become an issue in the upcoming year or two, tied into immigration.

Very interesting times...
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
planctom

Post by planctom »

No more Puerto Rican gangs in NY?
Cool.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

planctom wrote:No more Puerto Rican gangs in NY?
Cool.
Okay, I can't resist:

NPlcE3GcoFc
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

It looks like there's a pretty good chance Puerto Rico will become a state. Republicans in Congress could be a barrier, but a lot of Republican strategists have been talking about working hard not to alienate Hispanic voters, so Republicans may not be as big of a barrier as they could have been had Romney won.
cultivate a white rose
anderson

Post by anderson »

Interestingly, the wealth disparity is not so big as might be thought. It would be the poorest; according to this Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico), their GDP per capita is $26,588. That's poorer than, but in the same ballpark as Mississippi, $32,967. With the federal dollars perks of full statehood, the gap would also close somewhat.
NapLajoieonSteroids

anderson wrote:Interestingly, the wealth disparity is not so big as might be thought. It would be the poorest; according to this Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico), their GDP per capita is $26,588. That's poorer than, but in the same ballpark as Mississippi, $32,967. With the federal dollars perks of full statehood, the gap would also close somewhat.
okay, that GDP is better than what I heard....but you realize you're saying: "Let's turn to the taxpayers and tell them we are admitting a state that will need lots more money, infrastructure and schooling..."

I know you aren't keen on Republicans, but are you looking for a revolt or something here? ;)
anderson

Post by anderson »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
anderson wrote:Interestingly, the wealth disparity is not so big as might be thought. It would be the poorest; according to this Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico), their GDP per capita is $26,588. That's poorer than, but in the same ballpark as Mississippi, $32,967. With the federal dollars perks of full statehood, the gap would also close somewhat.
okay, that GDP is better than what I heard....but you realize you're saying: "Let's turn to the taxpayers and tell them we are admitting a state that will need lots more money, infrastructure and schooling..."

I know you aren't keen on Republicans, but are you looking for a revolt or something here? ;)
Took another look.
The household income is an area where it's about half, as suggested before; about $18,000 for Puerto Rico as opposed to $36,000 in Mississippi. High unemployment.
Then again, it would be less than 4 million people to absorb.
But, yes, it would definitely be a zone needing development to try to approach some kind of parity down the road.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Well now he can work on that for another couple of years, push immigration down the line (neither party wants to solve the problem they both use it as a wedge issue) and then come back to the Latino caucus and tell them "Look I just added Puerto Rico as the 51st state!"

I'm telling ya the guy is a genuflecting genius (I don't like him but still)
Been busy doing stuff
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Admission Puerto Rico as State MUST Be Balanced by Singapore

Post by monster_gardener »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Well now he can work on that for another couple of years, push immigration down the line (neither party wants to solve the problem they both use it as a wedge issue) and then come back to the Latino caucus and tell them "Look I just added Puerto Rico as the 51st state!"

I'm telling ya the guy is a genuflecting genius (I don't like him but still)
Thank You Very Much for your post, Hoosier.

Seconded......

And you forgot to add that AIUI Puerto Rico would probably go consistently Democrat in elections.............

As in pre-Civil War Compromises, Republicans would need to insist that Puerto Rico admission as a Democrat State be balanced by the admission of Singapore as a Republican State... even though we might have to set up Singapore as Billionaire Friendly Special Economic Zone like China does with Hong Kong..... ;) :lol:

May have to ask Cassowary over at SpenglerLand to work on this....... ;) :lol:
Last edited by monster_gardener on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Maybe they could compromise and give one of the northers states to Canada or something...
Been busy doing stuff
anderson

Post by anderson »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Maybe they could compromise and give one of the northers states to Canada or something...
I drove through Maine a few years back and it was just beautiful. It would fit in great as a new Atlantic province.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

anderson wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:Maybe they could compromise and give one of the northers states to Canada or something...
I drove through Maine a few years back and it was just beautiful. It would fit in great as a new Atlantic province.
Cede Vermont to Canada and most of the ex-Confederacy would spring for a going away party. Bernie Sanders becomes new head of the NDP party, everybody wins.