Oliver Stone : The Untold History of the United States

Crocus sativus

Oliver Stone : The Untold History of the United States

Post by Crocus sativus »

Napoleon said : History is a pack of lies we all agree upon

Here the first episode of Oliver Stone's new fascinating documentary series on Showtime that talks about the key WWII and post war events, which are either omitted from the pages of history or falsely exaggerated in order to portray the US as a righteous and benevolent superpower.

These past events greatly shaped the current policies of the United States.

Happy relearning, folks

a5-veAiYgAY

Doc

Re: Oliver Stone : The Untold History of the United States

Post by Doc »

Crocus sativus wrote:.

Here the first episode of Oliver Stone's new fascinating documentary series on Showtime that talks about the key WWII and post war events, which are either omitted from the pages of history or falsely exaggerated in order to portray the US as a righteous and benevolent superpower.

Happy relearning, folks

a5-veAiYgAY

Oliver Stone.

We are told he wrote the script for the movie JFK He produced JKF. He directed JFK.

Are we honestly supposed to believe that one man acting alone....

:)

Sorry Azari But Oliver Stone has a reputation for making up a lot of stuff. With JFK he made up hold cloth. After that nothing he says can be taken seriously as far as I am concerned.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Doc wrote:

Oliver Stone.

We are told he wrote the script for the movie JFK He produced JKF. He directed JFK.

Sorry Azari But Oliver Stone has a reputation for making up a lot of stuff. With JFK he made up hold cloth. After that nothing he says can be taken seriously as far as I am concerned.[/quote]

:lol:
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Doc wrote:
Crocus sativus wrote:.

Happy relearning, folks

a5-veAiYgAY

Oliver Stone.

Sorry Azari But Oliver Stone has a reputation for making up a lot of stuff. With JFK he made up hold cloth. After that nothing he says can be taken seriously as far as I am concerned.

DOC ,

JFK was a Holly-Wood movie, no documentary

If Stone would really know who assassinated JFK, Stone himself would have been eliminated by those who assassinate JFK

but

Pls watch the clip .. it becomes interesting from 29:00 , basically saying exactly what I am saying on fora some some time .. namely, the story of Atlantic Charter, Roosevelt and Churchill encounter

Enki

Post by Enki »

Dismissing what a man says because you didn't like one piece of his work is just as uncritical as accepting everything he says as gospel.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:Dismissing what a man says because you didn't like one piece of his work is just as uncritical as accepting everything he says as gospel.
Stone is too prone to conspiracy theories. That said JFK was a movie, not a documentary. As a matter of fact I find it a rather entertaining movie, even though I don't believe any of the conspiracy theories surrounding the assassination and am quite comfortable with the lone gunman theory.

His skepticism towards American jingoism is justified, but he doesn't base all of his views on a solid foundation. Though unlike, say, Michael Moore who intentionally makes a misleading case, you get the feeling that Stone really believes most of the more outlandish theories.

Still, if one wants to go hardline anti-American the logical native son would be Chomsky, who overstates the case based on the evidence, but does have a firm command of the facts on which he bases his overreaching theories. Stone would be the first to admit that he is not a scholar.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:Dismissing what a man says because you didn't like one piece of his work is just as uncritical as accepting everything he says as gospel.
True. I liked his 911 movie. And believe it or not I am watching the documentary a few minutes at a time as I am multitasking at the moment. I am rather fond of historical documentaries to begin with. So far I am not seeing anything that surprises me.

The facts mentioned are generally true. The Russian people were quite brave. I suppose that the unmentioned truths can be over looked as mere inconvenient truths. That Stalin and Hitler were allies in the division of Poland. Is wirtten off as sself defense by Stalin against the Germans As well as Stalin's invasion Finland(And had a great difficulty in conquering that small nation)and the Baltic states is absolutely shameful of Stone. That Hitler was one of the most incompetent wartime military leaders in history AS well as, Stalin also being an exceptionally incompetent wartime military leader. ( Stalin decimated the Soviet Union's Army officer corp in 1930's), by going with the "brilliant" military strategy of giving everyone a machine gun and telling them to advance or die(Which roughly translates as "Die or die") or that the Ukrainians welcomed the Germans as liberators until Stalin faked a few massacres of Ukrainian villages by the Germans. (Another thing that stone glosses over as the restive population)

Nor does he mention Churchill's statement about giving the devil a good reference if Hitler were to invade hell. Nor does he mention the US policy of well over 100 years of anti-colonialism. As if FDR invented the idea. Moving on to the US entry into the war there is no mention of Roosevelt knowing of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Something that gets suppress more as time goes on But something that certainly happened as confirmed by the Roosevelt Presidential papers released to the public in 2001. That Japan did not invaded Russia because the Japanese were upsets with Germans and that the Germans did not offer them any Russian territory is laughable. I mean really. The Japanese had already conquered most of China Had already lost 1 million troops. Japan needed oil after Roosevelt cut off Japanese oil supplies and the only way to get them was as Stone points out be getting the US pacific fleet out of the way. IF someone wants to say that FDR did not know the Japanese would attack then I would point out that would also make Roosevelt one of the most incompetent military leaders in history. Who happened to be incredibly lucky in ordering the Air craft carriers out to sea before the attack.

Nor am I surprised that Oliver stone has an overwhelming nostalgia for the good old days of the glorious post Stalin Soviet Empire. Particularly the exceptionally pretentious propaganda films of that era.

I am up to 43 minutes and have other things to do for a while. I will get back to it later.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ibrahim wrote:
Stone is too prone to conspiracy theories. That said JFK was a movie, not a documentary. As a matter of fact I find it a rather entertaining movie, even though I don't believe any of the conspiracy theories surrounding the assassination and am quite comfortable with the lone gunman theory.

His skepticism towards American jingoism is justified, but he doesn't base all of his views on a solid foundation. Though unlike, say, Michael Moore who intentionally makes a misleading case, you get the feeling that Stone really believes most of the more outlandish theories.
I have no doubt that Stone believes what he says
Still, if one wants to go hardline anti-American the logical native son would be Chomsky, who overstates the case based on the evidence, but does have a firm command of the facts on which he bases his overreaching theories. Stone would be the first to admit that he is not a scholar.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Doc wrote:

Oliver Stone.

:lol:
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

interesting debate for Americans .. OS explains a few point in the 1st episode

XO-Y8wNwbuA
gM6RqlnTryA

NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I'm sure Mr.Stone is dead serious and he feels as a popular storyteller he can bring this stuff to light...but to call it the "untold" history when he is just regurgitating the same thing that have been out there for years? He comes from a certain position with like-minded people there already...to frame it as "untold" cheapens what he has to say and breeds the sort of skepticism that hurts his position more than helps it.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's a common tactic among certain people.
Censorship isn't necessary
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Stone lost a grip on the facts long ago. Even when I agree with him, there is still no reason to take him seriously, any more than any other entertainer. It's not a career field upon which to place much credence. Lying liars who lie have no reason to be believed.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Oliver explains what this about .. interesting .. pls watch

amqsnWo8nCU