Barack Obama vs Ronald Reagan

Enki

Barack Obama vs Ronald Reagan

Post by Enki »

The more I learn about Ronald Reagan, the harder time I have distinguishing him from Barack Obama. This thread is to figure out how they stack up on issues.

I'll start with gun control. Reagan supported broad gun control legislation whereas Obama has in his career done pretty much nothing regarding that issues.
Republicans in California eagerly supported increased gun control. Governor Reagan told reporters that afternoon that he saw “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” He called guns a “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will.” In a later press conference, Reagan said he didn’t “know of any sportsman who leaves his home with a gun to go out into the field to hunt or for target shooting who carries that gun loaded.” The Mulford Act, he said, “would work no hardship on the honest citizen.”
One could easily find quotes from Reagan about the evils of the wealthy avoiding taxes and how loopholes should be closed to increase the real tax rate on the wealthy.

Healthcare is really the only place I can see where there is significant daylight. Both men have presided over some of the largest increases in the surveillance state in this nation's history.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton