Why only "American" & "Muslim/ ME" sub-fora?

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Alexis

Why only "American" & "Muslim/ ME" sub-fora?

Post by Alexis »

I'm wondering about the fact that within "Current events" are only 2 sub-fora, one about "American" other about "Muslim / ME" topics.

Speaking about World affairs, shouldn't one be equally interested in each of the World's major regions. :)
- USA obviously deserve their own subforum (or maybe even better "Northern America", with Canada & Mexico)
- Middle-East also deserves a subforum
:arrow: But what about Far East: China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam... are they countries of no significance? :shock:
:arrow: What about Europe & Russia?
:arrow: What about South Asia?
:arrow: South America?
:arrow: Africa?

We presently have long & bulky & unconvenient threads for "Europe", "China", "Japan" & such:
- No way to get a distinct topic discussed seriously at different points in time. How e.g. can one follow through such distinct topics as European sovereign debt crisis / European demographics / Innovation in Europe / European militaries / Russian politics / British relation to the EU / and so on and so forth... when they are all mixed up in a single monstrous size thread? :shock: Same argument for East Asian topics, and all other World's regions
- Focus is put on two regions which obviously are important... but at the expense of all others: the very fact that those two sub-fora exist make us discuss more what is of concern to these two regions. Why? Are Far East, or Europe, less important? And others?

I see existence of these two sub-fora as a distant consequence of 9/11 and recent US wars: these have put the focus on America and the Middle East, yes.
:!: However, is it not time to move on?
Is our time revolving, will the whole darn 21st century revolve entirely around America & Middle-East?

My suggestion is to keep the two existing sub-fora. However:
1. Change name of the American subforum to "Northern America"
Move there Canada and Mexico threads
2. Clarify name of other subforum to "Middle-East"
This subforum should be about a region of the World. Muslim is the name of a religion, not a region. Neither Indonesians nor Moroccans are Middle-Easterners
3. Add "Far East" subforum
Move there the threads about China, Japan, etc.
4. Add "Europe / Russia" subforum
All European and Russian threads goes there
As a side remark, in its former acception, the word "Europe" was understood to include Russia, which has 3/4 of its population west to the Urals. The usage changed during the Cold War... but Cold War has been over for 20 years. :mrgreen:
5. Add "South Asia" subforum
This one is debatable, but I don't think it fair to lump together more than half of humankind, countries as diverse as India, Japan, Indonesia, Afghanistan, Taiwan or Burma, and attribute them one single subforum. So I don't recommend having one single "Asia" subforum.
South Asia would include all countries from Pakistan & Afghanistan to Burma. Extend it to Central Asia up north till Kazakhstan
6. Add "Africa" subforum
Egypt would be in Middle East, as an exception. Morocco and all the other White African countries would be in "Africa"
7. Add "South America" subforum
Not including Mexico obviously

The "Current events" folder would be devoted only to global topics / or transverse topics not particular to a single part of the World.
We could get topics followed through.
We would be inclined to develop more discussions about parts of the World just as important than USA or Middle-East

In a word, reflect Multi-Polarity in the structure of the forum itself

:?: What do you think?
YMix

Re: Why only "American" & "Muslim/ ME" sub-fora?

Post by YMix »

I see existence of these two sub-fora as a distant consequence of 9/11 and recent US wars: these have put the focus on America and the Middle East, yes.
Actually, the two sub-fora are the result of Mr. Perfect and Azari Sativus Loves Crocus Persicum. In order to prevent the Current Events forum from being overrun with "Democrats are evil!" and "Islam rules, Pomegranates are best!" threads, Typhoon decided to continue Tinker's system and give these prolific posters two sub-fora.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Alexis wrote:I'm wondering about the fact that within "Current events" are only 2 sub-fora, one about "American" other about "Muslim / ME" topics.

Speaking about World affairs, shouldn't one be equally interested in each of the World's major regions. :)
- USA obviously deserve their own subforum (or maybe even better "Northern America", with Canada & Mexico)
- Middle-East also deserves a subforum
:arrow: But what about Far East: China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam... are they countries of no significance? :shock:
:arrow: What about Europe & Russia?
:arrow: What about South Asia?
:arrow: South America?
:arrow: Africa?

We presently have long & bulky & unconvenient threads for "Europe", "China", "Japan" & such:
- No way to get a distinct topic discussed seriously at different points in time. How e.g. can one follow through such distinct topics as European sovereign debt crisis / European demographics / Innovation in Europe / European militaries / Russian politics / British relation to the EU / and so on and so forth... when they are all mixed up in a single monstrous size thread? :shock: Same argument for East Asian topics, and all other World's regions
- Focus is put on two regions which obviously are important... but at the expense of all others: the very fact that those two sub-fora exist make us discuss more what is of concern to these two regions. Why? Are Far East, or Europe, less important? And others?

:!: However, is it not time to move on?
Is our time revolving, will the whole darn 21st century revolve entirely around America & Middle-East?

My suggestion is to keep the two existing sub-fora. However:
1. Change name of the American subforum to "Northern America"
Move there Canada and Mexico threads
2. Clarify name of other subforum to "Middle-East"
This subforum should be about a region of the World. Muslim is the name of a religion, not a region. Neither Indonesians nor Moroccans are Middle-Easterners
3. Add "Far East" subforum
Move there the threads about China, Japan, etc.
4. Add "Europe / Russia" subforum
All European and Russian threads goes there
As a side remark, in its former acception, the word "Europe" was understood to include Russia, which has 3/4 of its population west to the Urals. The usage changed during the Cold War... but Cold War has been over for 20 years. :mrgreen:
5. Add "South Asia" subforum
This one is debatable, but I don't think it fair to lump together more than half of humankind, countries as diverse as India, Japan, Indonesia, Afghanistan, Taiwan or Burma, and attribute them one single subforum. So I don't recommend having one single "Asia" subforum.
South Asia would include all countries from Pakistan & Afghanistan to Burma. Extend it to Central Asia up north till Kazakhstan
6. Add "Africa" subforum
Egypt would be in Middle East, as an exception. Morocco and all the other White African countries would be in "Africa"
7. Add "South America" subforum
Not including Mexico obviously

The "Current events" folder would be devoted only to global topics / or transverse topics not particular to a single part of the World.
We could get topics followed through.
We would be inclined to develop more discussions about parts of the World just as important than USA or Middle-East

In a word, reflect Multi-Polarity in the structure of the forum itself

:?: What do you think?

fully agree

discussing German economy and Berlesconi in Europe is meaningless

and

Arabs have their own issues, so does Islam or Judaism or Christianity .. and Indonesia and China not same pot

yes, agree, a rethinking of threads and sub-threads a very good idea .. this will also eliminates the need for adding new thread daily
YMix wrote:
Actually, the two sub-fora are the result of Mr. Perfect and Azari Sativus Loves Crocus Persicum. In order to prevent the Current Events forum from being overrun with "Democrats are evil!" and "Islam rules, Pomegranates are best!" threads, Typhoon decided to continue Tinker's system and give these prolific posters two sub-fora.

come on , come on .. is poor Azari now the new Jooooo ? :lol:

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:
YMix is quite right.

The current set-up of the sub-fora is mostly a product of board history.

I agree that it makes sense to have additional geographic sub-fora as threads such as China, Canada, etc that may not be active for a while drop far down the list and are a bit troublesome to find.

Will implement your [Alexis'] suggestions in some form when I have a moment.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

This issue has now been addressed with the new "Current Events" sub-forums.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:.

good idea

but

I find the division a bit confusing and awkward .. Muslim word does not mean anything, is there a Christian world ? ? is debating German economic issues with Guatemala economic issues in Christan world thread wise ?

Indonesia # 1 and India # 2 biggest Muslim nation, do they belong in Muslim world thread .. Iran no Arab but in same thread as Israel and Saudi Arabia and and

division should be either political or geographical or ethnicity .. or .. the good and the bad guys :lol:

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

I think it should be called Israel and it's enemies instead of The Muslim world. :mrgreen:
Been busy doing stuff
Heracleum Persicum

Hoosiernorm wrote:.

I think it should be called Israel and it's enemies instead of The Muslim world. :mrgreen:

confusing

Rhubarb not fleeing from Muslims, not looking for sanctuary from Muslims .. Rhubarb fleeing from you guys .. YOU the ones wanting "Vernichtung Jüdischen Volkes" .. Muslims have always given sanctuary to Rhubarb fleeing you guys

not yet MENSCH, instead, for you guys new Jews are the Muslims .. pfui

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:.

confusing

Rhubarb not fleeing from Muslims, not looking for sanctuary from Muslims .. Rhubarb fleeing from you guys .. YOU the ones wanting "Vernichtung Jüdischen Volkes" .. Muslims have always given sanctuary to Rhubarb fleeing you guys

not yet MENSCH, instead, for you guys new Jews are the Muslims .. pfui

Try a Google search of what a Mr Green Emoticon is use for and re read it.

As for the rest of the post.............. standard Waxwing of Persia -esque
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:.

good idea

but

I find the division a bit confusing and awkward .. Muslim word does not mean anything, is there a Christian world ? ? is debating German economic issues with Guatemala economic issues in Christan world thread wise ?

Indonesia # 1 and India # 2 biggest Muslim nation, do they belong in Muslim world thread .. Iran no Arab but in same thread as Israel and Saudi Arabia and and

division should be either political or geographical or ethnicity .. or .. the good and the bad guys :lol:

It serves it's historical purpose of providing a single thread for all the intolerant types and other looney tunes.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

How about Heebies and Jeebies then
Been busy doing stuff
Heracleum Persicum

We should have a main Thread (with sub threads) for Books, books of different category of subject, for book recommendation, book reviews, opinion of the subject of the books , etc

Going to Tehran: Why the United States Must Come to Terms with the Islamic Republic of Iran

Leveretts’ Forthcoming Book Excerpted in Harper’s

YMix

Post by YMix »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

We should have a main Thread (with sub threads) for Books, books of different category of subject, for book recommendation, book reviews, opinion of the subject of the books , etc

Going to Tehran: Why the United States Must Come to Terms with the Islamic Republic of Iran

Leveretts’ Forthcoming Book Excerpted in Harper’s

Make one. In Art & Architecture.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Heebie, Jeebie & Milton the Poet & Monster.........

Post by monster_gardener »

Hoosiernorm wrote:How about Heebies and Jeebies then
Thank You VERY Much for your post, HoosierNorm

Since you asked ;) ............

http://www.cartoonscrapbook.com/01pics-L/milton_L02.jpg

Heebie wears the hat.........

Jeebie has the claws and can opener mouth.......

BTW Heebie is smarter than Jeebie......... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_the_Monster

But my favorite is Milton the Poet and MONSTER........

3gJAm1BA6Fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJAm1BA6Fg

nUtfUO_GFGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUtfUO_G ... creen&NR=1
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light