France

Endovelico

Re: France

Post by Endovelico »

Alexis wrote:
Endovelico wrote:I have unfortunately come to the conclusion that it may take far too long before northern European countries come to accept and respect southern Europeans as equals. I'm afraid southern European countries will have to go their own way, with a smaller political, economic and monetary union of their own, while keeping a free trade arrangement with the other European countries.
I don't think that differences between North and South (Mediterranean) Europe are the only way to look at the present situation, even less to look at Europe's varsity and wealth of different national traditions.

A "South-only" union would have its problems, just as this "European" union has problems, and a "North-only" would have its problems too.

Maybe it's specially fit for a Frenchman to not know exactly whether he's from North or from South... France is from both actually, and in my opinion we are lucky in that :)
With Catalonia about to split from Spain, maybe it isn't a complete fantasy to think that Occitania may one day follow a similar path in relation to France.
Regarding secessionist movements, independentists from Alsace, French Basque country, Brittany would each have trouble filling up a cafe room if they met together.
Occitanian independentists are... well, even less numerous :D

So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Would they fill a café?...

Manifestacion Occitana de Besièrs 2007 Nous étions 22 000 !- Eriam 22 000
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Endovelico wrote:Would they fill a café?...

Manifestacion Occitana de Besièrs 2007 Nous étions 22 000 !- Eriam 22 000
Seems I was exaggerating about the café.

That being said, the PNO is not exactly widely known (cause of my error) ...nor is it very successful.
Looking up Wiki about them (no version in English nor in Portuguese), these people presented a list at regional elections in Languedoc-Roussillon in 2004 along with other Occitanist parties, and grabbed 1.27% of the vote. They did not present any candidate in 2010.

So they got 1.27% of the vote in just one among the half-dozen regions of France linked to Occitan culture (never presented in other regions), and just once.

I still am not holding my breath.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i find it absolutely fascinating how endo sees the catalan inability to compromise with the spanish over political and economic matters as evidence of a southern european unions obvious perfection.

delicious.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:i find it absolutely fascinating how endo sees the catalan inability to compromise with the spanish over political and economic matters as evidence of a southern european unions obvious perfection.

delicious.
You miss the whole point. The point is identity. Catalans might be able to compromise with the Spanish - in fact they have done it for a few hundred years - but they just don't want to do that anymore. They feel their identity is worth preserving, and they feel it can no longer be achieved within the Spanish State. The same with Southern Europeans. Their identity and their interests can no longer be guaranteed in a cooperation with arrogant Northern Europeans. We do not feel we are better then they, we just feel that we are sufficiently different in order to need going our own way to preserve our difference.
noddy

Post by noddy »

and what if the portugese identity starts struggling with supporting the somewhat different greek identity ?

i dont get the sense your problems or the spanish ones are as self inflicted as the greek ones - not so much corruption and entitlements draining resources as repurcussions of the GFC and real estate bubbles.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:and what if the portugese identity starts struggling with supporting the somewhat different greek identity ?
It's all relative. Portuguese are not Greeks but Portuguese and Greeks have more in common than Portuguese and Swedes. We may be able to overcome our differences with Greeks, and clearly we are not capable of overcoming our differences with Swedes.
planctom

Demostration agoinst gay marriage

Post by planctom »

Today Paris saw a massive demonstration against gay marriage, more than 300 thousand participated.

http://infograficos.estadao.com.br/uplo ... /57723.jpg
Endovelico

Re: Demostration agoinst gay marriage

Post by Endovelico »

planctom wrote:Today Paris saw a massive demonstration against gay marriage, more than 300 thousand participated.

I would demonstrate against all marriages, gay and straight... The state has no business interfering with people's relationships of whatever kind.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Endovelico wrote:.
planctom wrote:.

Today Paris saw a massive demonstration against gay marriage, more than 300 thousand participated.

I would demonstrate against all marriages, gay and straight... The state has no business interfering with people's relationships of whatever kind.

Agree fully, Endo

Marriage lost meaning .. 10,000+ years ago "marriage" was invented to claim ownership of children, children were the "free labor" for farmers (99% of population)

right now, DNA test will say who's the father and must pay for the child .. meaning "marriage" has become obsolete

that homosexual marriage is a "political, social" statement that homosexuals want to make, wanting to say homosexuals equal heterosexuals, a farce

French people revolting, rightly so

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/photo ... 91922.html

Alexis

We need a real leader in France to restore order

Post by Alexis »

A jaw-dropping poll published today by Le Monde :shock:

The link is in French. Here are however the most striking findings of this poll:

"Globalization is a threat and France should protect itself more" 60% Yes
"France's decision powers should be reinforced at the expense of Europe's" 66% Yes

"There are too many foreigners in France" 70% Yes
"One does not feel at home in France like before" 62% Yes
"Islamic religion is intolerant and incompatible with French society" 74% Yes

"French democratic system works relatively badly" 72 % Yes
"Politicians act mainly for their personal interest (rather than collective)" 82 % Yes
"Most politicians are corrupted" 62 % Yes

"Authority is too much criticized nowadays" 86% Yes
"We need a real leader in France to restore order" 87% Yes

:shock: :shock: :shock: !!!
Endovelico

Re: We need a real leader in France to restore order

Post by Endovelico »

Alexis wrote:A jaw-dropping poll published today by Le Monde :shock:

The link is in French. Here are however the most striking findings of this poll:

"France's decision powers should be reinforced at the expense of Europe's" 66% Yes

"Politicians act mainly for their personal interest (rather than collective)" 82 % Yes

Fortunately there are no "real leaders" in France or elsewhere... They discontinued producing Benito's and Adolf's...
Heracleum Persicum

Re: We need a real leader in France to restore order

Endovelico wrote:
Alexis wrote:A jaw-dropping poll published today by Le Monde :shock:

Fortunately there are no "real leaders" in France or elsewhere... They discontinued producing Benito's and Adolf's..

True

France had only one world class leader, Bonaparte

If Napoleon had succeeded, Europe would be now 200 yrs ahead, America would playing the 2nd violin, Brits were a nobody, Russians would speaking French, no WWII & Adolf, Persia would rule all that space

BTW: that white horse of Napoleon was a gift from Persian king

A Franco-Iranian alliance was formed for a short period between the French Empire of Napoleon I and Fath Ali Shah against Russia and Great Britain between 1807 to 1809. The alliance was part of a grand Napoleonic scheme to cross the Middle East in order to attack British India
The love affair between Napoleon and Persia

Would Napoleon, crushed by the disastrous battle of Eylau and in the middle of his Russian campaign, take the extra step to reach the Persian and shake his hands, thereby changing the course of history?

To Persia the relationship meant a great deal. It ushered in the "Great Game" - the intense rivalry between the colonial European powers for supremacy in the Middle East and beyond. Their ultimate goal was India and its infinite riches, the jewel every crown wished to be adorned with. After 1815 and the fall of Napoleon, only two players remained in the field, Russia and Great Britain, the latter eventually emerging as the victor. But at the time of our story Persia is surrounded by rapacious predators - apart from the Europeans, the Ottoman Empire was still a force to fear.

Russia under Catherine the Great had already grabbed Georgia. Later, in a series of wars she would appropriate the whole of the Caucasus, now the Central Asian republics of Khazakhstan, Tajikistan, Armenia etc - reducing Persia to its present size. Only Afghanistan barred her way to India, and Persia, the route to the warm waters of the Persian Gulf and the Levant, both of which she meant to bully into submission.

Meanwhile, Napoleon, modelling himself on Alexander the Great, began his conquest of the East with Egypt, planning to continue towards Persia, "crossing the Indus river where Alexander had crossed it", and finally to "advance towards the British possessions" - India. "It is in India that we must attack English power," he told Talleyrand.

In Persia, the Qajar king, Fath Ali Shah, was desperate for allies against the Russians to regain Georgia. His first choice was Britain, but being at the time in cahoots with the Russians against Napoleon, the British declined to help. It was only when Napoleon entered the scene and threatened India that they panicked and sent a representative, John (later Sir John) Malcomb of the East India Company, to the Persian court with magnificent gifts. There followed several years of espionage, intrigues, pledges and betrayals, during which the Persian shah and his viziers, like guinea-pigs surrounded by huge boa constrictors, turned round in circles, desperately looking for an escape.

Amini tells the story with verve and humour, blending scholarship with skilful story-telling. At times his book reads like a picaresque novel worthy of Alexandre Dumas père . Not the least difficulty of relations between countries in those pre-technological days was communication: it took months before an envoy from France or Britain reached Asia, by which time the map of Europe had changed, battles were fought and new alliances formed. Innumerable hazards threatened the travellers on the way. At one point, Napoleon's emissary was caught by a bandit governor of a province in Turkey and incarcerated in a deep well for eight months, before being discovered by chance and ransomed.

Napoleon and Persia is enlightening in its analyses of the major players and dispels many received ideas about them. For example, Fath Ali Shah was not just a pleasure-loving king with a huge beard and a vast harem, but a shrewd ruler who tried his best to preserve his country's integrity against tremendous foes, by playing them against each other, and to some extent succeeded: Persia never became a colony. The same goes for his Vizier, Mirza Shafi, usually portrayed as corrupt and ineffectual.

The book is full of charming historical vignettes: the French General Gardane, sent by Napoleon to Persia, drilling the 19-year-old crown prince Abbas Mirza, Commander-in-Chief of the Persian Army, and being drilled by him. "Persian soldiers are brave and proud, but rebellious and utterly undisciplined," was the general's verdict after inspecting the prince's troops. But he found the Crown Prince himself intelligent, courteous, charming and willing to learn.

The British lavished money and presents on Persian courtiers, governors, officials of all kinds, buying their allegiance against the French. Yet Fath Ali Shah remained faithful to Napoleon until the end, despite the rigidity and arrogance of his ambassador General Gardane, and wrote him affectionate letters. (By the way, Napoleon's famous "The English are a nation of shopkeepers" originates in a letter to Fath Ali Shah: "You will mistrust the advice of a merchant nation, which in India trades with the life and the crowns of sovereigns. ")

Years later in exile at Saint Helena, Napoleon, looking at the map of Persia, remarked ruefully: "What an excellent fulcrum for my lever, whether I wished to harass Russia or out-flank India. I started relations with this country, and I hoped to cultivate them to the point of intimacy, as well as with Turkey. It was to be believed that these animals sufficiently knew their own interests for that; but I lost both of them at the crucial moment; the gold of the English was more powerful than my schemes!"

The affair between Napoleon and Persia was one of those rendezvous manqués with which history is paved.Pascal said that if Cleopatra's nose had been shorter, the course of history would have been different. We simply say "If only...", and sigh. This remarkable book, admirably translated by A. Azodi from the original French and beautifully illustrated with interesting pictures, entertains while giving much food for thought.

For some time, Napoleon was considering attacking Russia from south, from Persia (instead of eastern Europe) .. had he done so, he would have beaten Russia easily as southern route would be much shorter, much warmer and friendly territory .. Hitler should have done that too .. both made the same mistake

Hitler, visiting Paris only for a few hours, only place he visited was Napoleons grave

BTW, west, America, making same mistake as Napoleon and Adolf .. we at the same situation as Napoleon and Adolf faced re West and Russia .. southern route , Persia, the key .. Russia knows this, that is why Putin loooves the Ayatollahs

Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

What?

Black workers 'banned from Gare du Nord during Israeli president visit'
Black and North African railway workers were banned from working at Paris's Gare du Nord when the President of Israel visited France over fears they might be Muslim, it has emerged.
The alleged discrimination took place as Shimon Peres arrived at the station, the hub for high-speed trains, on March 8, to discuss the Middle East peace process.

It is now the subject of an official complaint by the SUD-Rail transport union which says everything was done to ensure there were "no Muslim employees to welcome the Head of the State of Israel".

Mr Peres and a delegation of other senior Israelis arrived on a morning train from Belgium, and were greeted by staff from SNCF, France's national railway, and their baggage-handling subsidiary, ITIREMIA.

The previous day however, a site manager told all workers at the station about the ban on black staff, and those of North African descent, because they might be Muslim.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... visit.html
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mother Sends Son Named ‘Jihad’ To School in Bomb T-Shirt
By Courtney SubramanianMarch 08, 201317 Comments

FRANCE-US-CRIME-CHILDREN-ATTACKS
AFP/Getty Images / Anne-Christine Poujoula

Lawyer Gaelle Genoun (R) leaves Avignon's courthouse on December 19, 2012, with her client, the mother of a three-year old named Jihad who was born on September 11, who went on trial for sending him to school in a top with "I am a bomb" written on it.

Boucha Bagour apologized during a second court appearance in southern France Wednesday for sending her three-year-old son, Jihad, to school wearing a shirt emblazoned with the phrase “I am a bomb,” Sky News reports.

And if that wasn’t controversial enough, the back of the shirt also bears the words, “Jihad, born September 11.” Bagour appeared in court alongside her brother, Zeyad Bagour, who gave the shirt to his nephew as a gift and said he “had no intention to provoke or shock.”

(MORE: Toddlers in Tiaras? Mais Non! France Seeks to Ban Child Pageants)

But the shirt certainly alarmed school officials at Jihad’s preschool in the town of Sorgues in southern France who alerted local authorities after spotting the controversially clad toddler in class.

“For me, this is the name of my son and his date of birth,”Bagour said, defending her decision in court. The mother provided her son’s official records to support her statement. The turn of phrase plays on the French saying, “Je suis la bombe,” which is slang for “I am the best,” Sky New notes. The two are charged with condoning a crime over the alleged reference to the 9/11 attacks in 2001, according to the Agence France-Presse.

Bagour said in her apology that she thought the people might view the shirt as comical. Following the incident, town mayor Thierry Lagneau, a member of the conservative UMP party, requested an investigation.

Lawyer Claude Avril said in court, “Idiocy is often the best alibi to hide the real intentions.”

“The most scandalous thing is that they’ve used and manipulated a three-year-old child to voluntarily convey the words of a terrorist.”

Bagour and her brother maintain they had no intention to cause controversy. The mother faces a fine of about $1,300 and her brother would be fined around $3,900 if found guilty. The decision is set for April 10.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/03/08/mot ... z2RUFypKjK
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Endovelico wrote:
planctom wrote:Today Paris saw a massive demonstration against gay marriage, more than 300 thousand participated.

+1
cultivate a white rose
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Can honestly say I'd never heard of this before.

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/05/1 ... uslim-ids/
Here’s one they left out of the history textbooks. A recent French film, Free Men, brought to light the remarkable true history of how Muslims gave sanctuary to French Jews in Nazi-occupied Paris during Second World War. An untold “Oscar Schindler” story, the film is inspired by actual events and in this case, our ‘Schindler’ is Si Kaddour Benghabrit, the rector of the Grand Mosque of Paris until 1954.

Might even be good for community relations in France. Like when the film Indigenes shamed the French government into recognizing Arab soldiers who fought for France in WW2, and finally paying their pensions.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Re Azari's admiration for Bonaparte, I remember having a discussion with a Chinese friend (outside China, so he could speak freely) about the analogies between Napoleon and Mao.

First decade: good (1794-1804: consolidates the revolution, ends the Terror, spreads it to the rest of Europe destroying feudalism and liberating the peasants; 1949-58: brings peace and global respect to China, honest government that cares about the masses)

After that (1804-1815, 1958-76): turn into megalomaniac fuckwits who pointlessly lead to the death of millions.

The best bit about the US constitution is Presidential term limits.

If you want leaders to admire in France it is those hardly remembered politicians who founded the messy but surprisingly stable third republic in 1871, ending nearly a century of revolution and counter-revolution: people like Thiers on the right, and Gambetta and Jaures on the left. Similarly in Germany, forget Bismarck and remember Eduard Bernstein, who took the toxic creed of Marxism and converted to the peaceful wave of the future, Social Democracy.

But then "Great Men" have glamour, shining brightly off their blood covered hands.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Ceauşescu would fit the bill, too.

1965 - around 1980: consolidates Dej's policy of maintaining relations with both Warsaw Pact and NATO countries, offers to help the Czechoslovakians in 1968 and then denounces the Soviet invasion (nearly gets us invaded in the process), opens trade relations with a whole bunch of developing countries, lets people who know more than him do an adequate job of managing the economy, keeps the quality of life at a reasonable level.

1980 - 1989: goes full-blown megalomaniac while sliding into senile dementia, launches a series of massive construction projects that drain the country's resources, refuses to understand that the quality of life is falling and that some of his ideas are plain dumb, consolidates all power and sees any attempt to improve the situation as a challenge to his authority, puts his stupid wife in the government.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Torchwood wrote:Re Azari's admiration for Bonaparte, I remember having a discussion with a Chinese friend (outside China, so he could speak freely) about the analogies between Napoleon and Mao.

First decade: good (1794-1804: consolidates the revolution, ends the Terror, spreads it to the rest of Europe destroying feudalism and liberating the peasants; 1949-58: brings peace and global respect to China, honest government that cares about the masses)

After that (1804-1815, 1958-76): turn into megalomaniac fuckwits who pointlessly lead to the death of millions.

I'm not sure if the two eras, for both men, could be separated as if power corrupted them. The good and the bad of both was the full consummation of what the revolution meant; who but Napoleon consummated the Terror as it was intended.

Which is why-
The best bit about the US constitution is Presidential term limits.

The US Constitution is set up so that Americans may perpetually beat around the Bush.
If you want leaders to admire in France it is those hardly remembered politicians who founded the messy but surprisingly stable third republic in 1871, ending nearly a century of revolution and counter-revolution: people like Thiers on the right, and Gambetta and Jaures on the left. Similarly in Germany, forget Bismarck and remember Eduard Bernstein, who took the toxic creed of Marxism and converted to the peaceful wave of the future, Social Democracy.

But then "Great Men" have glamour, shining brightly off their blood covered hands.
Leaving aside the perfect Lord Acton quote here- I think you said it best, earlier, somewhere on this board (to paraphrase: ) "Great" Leaders come along during times of 'careful-what-you-wish-for' scenarios and more often preside over times of decay and foundering. With the exceptions, they stand out more so for the pitiful examples surrounding them than for their own personal excellencies.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Child Support

Post by monster_gardener »

Azrael wrote:
Endovelico wrote:

+1
Thank You Very Much for your posts, Azrael and Endo.

I'm not so sure.........

Not so sure about that........

Being against marriage.........

Often there is quite a bit a trouble getting men to pay support for children they sire within a marriage contract.........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Endovelico

Re: Child Support

Post by Endovelico »

monster_gardener wrote:Often there is quite a bit a trouble getting men to pay support for children they sire within a marriage contract.........
I can't help pointing out that when it comes to abort or not to abort, women are the only ones with a right to decide. When it comes to feeding the offspring, men must foot the bill...
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Child Support

Post by monster_gardener »

Endovelico wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:Often there is quite a bit a trouble getting men to pay support for children they sire within a marriage contract.........
I can't help pointing out that when it comes to abort or not to abort, women are the only ones with a right to decide. When it comes to feeding the offspring, men must foot the bill...
Thank You Very Much for your post, Endo.

I can't help pointing out that when it comes to abort or not to abort, women are the only ones with a right to decide.
Should only a wife have the right to decide whether or not to abort a child that she and her husband agreed to create together presuming he is willing to support the child?

When it comes to feeding the offspring, men must foot the bill...
IMVHO true but only half true.....

Women who desert their children, and this seems to be happening more and more, should be required to pay child support too........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Heracleum Persicum

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Paris student dead after skinhead attack
A French left-wing activist has died after an attack blamed on skinheads in central Paris.
Clement Meric, an 18-year-old student, was with friends when he was "hit extremely violently" by several men during a fight, officials say.
(...)
They have blamed the attack on a fringe far-right group, the Revolutionary Nationalist Youths. However it denied any involvement.
A quite surprising detail about that very small fringe radical right group, JNR (Revolutionary Nationalist Youths), which is clearly neo-Fascist (from their stated doctrine, not only their clothing style...)
is that its leader, the man on the left in the above picture, is named Serge Ayoub. More precisely, he is Serge Elie Ayoub.

Yes, this guy is Jewish. :shock:

How stupid is that? :? :roll:

Granted, the JNR are not antisemitic, just like by the way original Fascists were not antisemites before Mussolini's decision to ally with Hitler in 1938. But still... how can one forget what happened afterwards, and the close proximity between fascists and nazis?
Heracleum Persicum

Alexis wrote:Paris student dead after skinhead attack
A French left-wing activist has died after an attack blamed on skinheads in central Paris.
Clement Meric, an 18-year-old student, was with friends when he was "hit extremely violently" by several men during a fight, officials say.
(...)
They have blamed the attack on a fringe far-right group, the Revolutionary Nationalist Youths. However it denied any involvement.
A quite surprising detail about that very small fringe radical right group, JNR (Revolutionary Nationalist Youths), which is clearly neo-Fascist (from their stated doctrine, not only their clothing style...)
is that its leader, the man on the left in the above picture, is named Serge Ayoub. More precisely, he is Serge Elie Ayoub.

Yes, this guy is Jewish. :shock:

How stupid is that? :? :roll:

Granted, the JNR are not antisemitic, just like by the way original Fascists were not antisemites before Mussolini's decision to ally with Hitler in 1938. But still... how can one forget what happened afterwards, and the close proximity between fascists and nazis ?

Congratulation to our French posters ..

The first gay couple to be legally wed in France were in high spirits on Friday while they attended the Tel Aviv Gay Pride Parade as part of their Honeymoon celebrations.

Vincent Autin and Bruno Boileau were invited by Tel Aviv's Global & Tourism Company and were being hosted by the French Embassy in Israel and the Diaghilev Live Art Hotel.

Poor "Pashtoons" .. poor Pashtoons .. They got a bad name for nothing

Wish a happy "Honeymoon" for the "Bride and groom" :lol:

What a disaster, what a disaster .. west accelerating into toilet