Rise of the Robots | Machine Learning

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Enki

Rise of the Robots | Machine Learning

Post by Enki »

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Re: Rise of the Robots

Post by Enki »

http://challenge.gov/DoD/212-uav-forge

Crowd-Sourcing the manufacture of Skynet.

http://challenge.gov/AirForce/149-remot ... terization

Crowd-sourcing target acquisition
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

GJWwJU2kxrI
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Holy uncanny valley Daisuke!
-Alexander Hamilton
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

It might be better to make androids with cartoon character faces until the the technology is perfected. The uncanny valley is just too creepy.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

I'd hit it........•_~........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Future reality . . .

k2fvU46t9CU
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

This of course explains the limitations of technology at least when it comes to human beings.

wlMegqgGORY
Been busy doing stuff
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:I'd hit it........•_~........
Do you mean from the perspective of a jealous female... or a horney male?
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

how 'bout a nerdy geek lezbeen??2?.......;p...........
Enki

Post by Enki »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:how 'bout a nerdy geek lezbeen??2?.......;p...........
Lezbean? Fry em up and that's full awful!
-Alexander Hamilton
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

:P ........ how 'bout steamed until tough and stringy??2?.........
Enki

Post by Enki »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote::P ........ how 'bout steamed until tough and stringy??2?.........
Only if you get them heated enough.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

Don't get no jizz upon that sofa, sofa
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:how 'bout a nerdy geek lezbeen??2?.......;p...........
That was my first visual.... you and the fembot making out in a store front window that read:

Colonel Sun's Sex Bots R Us
Room rate: $50/hr
Store front window rate: FREE!!!
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well, if the ultra femme is your type, then you'd have a lot of fun in the Shinjuku ni-chōme district in Tokyo . . .
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Yew r a treasure sweetie pie......XDDDDD...... 8-) ..........

Keeping this sommat on topic:

http://tailgrab.org/2010/03/review-band ... gokin-ver/
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Bandai bot: Drossel Juno Vierzehntes Heizregister Fürstin von Flügel

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

noddy wrote:Don't get no jizz upon that sofa, sofa

4ubBw3dE8Wc
Been busy doing stuff
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Relevant

AjI2J2SQ528

I like the future.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

In new mass-production technique, robotic insects spring to life – ScienceDaily, 15 February 2012
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 155309.htm

A new technique inspired by elegant pop-up books and origami will soon allow clones of robotic insects to be mass-produced by the sheet.

Devised by engineers at Harvard, the ingenious layering and folding process enables the rapid fabrication of not just microrobots, but a broad range of electromechanical devices.

In prototypes, 18 layers of carbon fiber, Kapton (a plastic film), titanium, brass, ceramic, and adhesive sheets have been laminated together in a complex, laser-cut design. The structure incorporates flexible hinges that allow the three-dimensional product -- just 2.4 millimeters tall -- to assemble in one movement, like a pop-up book.

The entire product is approximately the size of a U.S. quarter, and dozens of these microrobots could be fabricated in parallel on a single sheet. ...
Enki

Robot Elephant

Post by Enki »

UTyhkPNutmw

On the lighter side of robotics.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

And so it has begun. What I feared would come to pass is moving faster than I would have dared to expect. I think I already knew it was at this pace, but I wanted to sound Conservative.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/latest-ma ... ten-robots
It appears that while we were busy over the past month spreading the Greek pre- and post-bankruptcy balance sheet, and otherwise torturing Excel (something we urge other financial journalists to try once in a while - go ahead, it doesn't bite. In fact, it is almost as friendly as your favorite Powerpoint) our peer at such reputable financial publications as Forbes, and many others, were laying of carbon-based reporters and replacing them with... robots. As Mediabistro reports, "Forbes has joined a group of 30 publishers using Narrative Science software to write computer-generated stories. Here’s more about the program, used in one corner of Forbes‘ website: "“Narrative Science has developed a technology solution that creates rich narrative content from data. Narratives are seamlessly created from structured data sources and can be fully customized to fit a customer’s voice, style and tone. Stories are created in multiple formats, including long form stories, headlines, Tweets and industry reports with graphical visualizations.”" In other words, with well over 70% of stock trading now done by robots, we have gotten to a point where robots write headlines and stories read, reacted to and traded by robots. Surely, what can possibly go wrong. And here we were this morning, wondering why the market is not only broken but plain dumb.

Forbes is not alone:

The New York Times revealed last year that trade publisher Hanley Wood and sports journalism site The Big Ten Network also use the tool. In all, 30 clients use the software–but Narrative Science did not disclose the complete client list.

What do you think? The Narrative Science technology could potentially impact many corners of the writing trade. The company has a long list of stories they can computerize: sports stories, financial reports, real estate analyses, local community content, polling & elections, advertising campaign summaries sales & operations reports and market research.
And here is a sample of robot generated "literature"

While company shares have dropped 17.2% over the last three months to close at $13.72 on February 15, 2012, Barnes & Noble (BKS) is hoping it can break the slide with solid third quarter results when it releases its earnings on Tuesday, February 21, 2012.

What to Expect: The Wall Street consensus is $1.01 per share, up 1% from a year ago when Barnes & Noble reported earnings of $1 per share.

The consensus estimate is down from three months ago when it was $1.42, but is unchanged over the past month. Analysts are projecting a loss of $1.09 per share for the fiscal year.
Condolences to all financial journalists. If you thought your meager salary was crap, you are about to be replaced by a costless algorithm. The market you wrote about no longer needs you. But at least we will now have computers telling us all about how (seasonally adjusted) trends in financial journalism employment are improving.

Probably what is even sadder is that nobody noticed as more and more robots have taken over for humans.

In other news, this development naturally, this adds a layer of variability in market dynamics which make some completely unpredictable feedback loop imminent: because if a robot is reacting to a headline written by itself (and it is only a matter of time before Narrative Science is acquired by GETCO or some other HFT behemoth in the latest market manipulation scheme) the epic collapse possibilities are simply stupefying.
This is leading to a world where all of the resources are controlled by essentially a blind machine, one that has been programmed by blind men to make humanity obsolete.

This is the extinction of the human race.
-Alexander Hamilton