Windows 8

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Heracleum Persicum

Windows 8

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

This " WINDOW 8 " is really SH*T .. rubbish and garbage

Recently I bought a HP laptop, came with Win 8 .. what a disaster

Seems , Microsoft is run by idiots

PC sales plunge, Microsoft and Windows 8 blamed

going to uninstall win 8 .. and .. install Win 7

folks, has anybody a better idea ? ?

Any OS like Window but not from MS ? ?

or, maybe better to switch to APPL .. my son tells me last few yrs, change to APPL, did not listen, I should

AND .. I am shorting that POS Microsoft stock

anderson

Re: WINDOWS 8

Post by anderson »

What is the problem?

If you don't like the tiles and new style apps and such, you can just live in desktop view and, voila, you already have Windows 7, but with improved performance. Why would you downgrade?
Pin your most commonly needed programs to taskbar or add desktop shortcuts, and you never have to even go to the start screen.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

anderson wrote:What is the problem?

If you don't like the tiles and new style apps and such, you can just live in desktop view and, voila, you already have Windows 7, but with improved performance. Why would you downgrade?
Pin your most commonly needed programs to taskbar or add desktop shortcuts, and you never have to even go to the start screen.
yeh this.

no argument windows 8 is yet another daft half arsed version of windows - not a proper desktop and not a proper touchscreen, also no argument its downright stupid to default a desktop to the new touchpad start screen.

right click on the stupid start screen, click "all apps" then pin anything useful to the taskbar and from then on just use the desktop emulator and you can pretend its still windows 7 and dont have to stuff around with illegal versions or giving them more money they dont deserve.
ultracrepidarian
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

The alternate versions of Windows (XP, 7) work pretty well, the ones after (Vista, 8) are crap. The Monopoly Master decides that you can't buy a new laptop with 7, however.

I am still running an old desktop at home with XP. It is about as secure as a broken barn door in a hurricane, but with decent anti-virus software, it works.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Going to buy a second hand 10.1" asus netbook and install linux ubuntu on it or some lighter linux version. W8...whats that.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Torchwood wrote:I am still running an old desktop at home with XP. It is about as secure as a broken barn door in a hurricane, but with decent anti-virus software, it works.
I've been on XP for 10 years. We have a pretty good relationship.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:
Torchwood wrote:I am still running an old desktop at home with XP. It is about as secure as a broken barn door in a hurricane, but with decent anti-virus software, it works.
Sounds like a common law marriage. :D

Really XP had the best PC user interface. MS is just too cheap to do it right. Businesses don't need touch screen software. IF they do the employees are too happy to bring in theirs.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

XPers beware: I recall that Windows announced that security updates for Windows XP will XPire on April 8, 2014.

I am running a Windows 7 monster, with as much memory, video-card and processor power as you can fit on something that can still be be called a laptop (if only just, as it can easily double as a bear-killing slab). I do use vast datasets for my work, but it's really just my inner gadget-nerd that's to blame. I'm probably going to hand it over to one of my nephews in Romania this summer. My next laptop will probably be an ultralight running Ubuntu. It's not because I don't know how to make windows 8 resemble a functional Windows 7, but I don't think I ought to have to fix something right after I buy it, and besides I've mostly switched over to Linux-friendly LaTeX and R for my work needs. All I need now is a bit more practice with Python, and I'm good to go.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
Amen YMix. I have also heard MS will soon stop supporting XP.

Not sure what will be a reasonable replacement.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Simple Minded wrote:
YMix wrote:

Windows 7 and 8 are both good.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
YMix wrote:

Windows 7 and 8 are both good.
I have a non touch display windows 8 machine. Last night I was making a post here when the screen suddenly turned sideways after I accidently hit the wrong key combination. Do you have any idea what a pain in the a it is to correct that with the screen sideways and the mouse movement transposed left right - top bottom? :evil:
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
anderson

Post by anderson »

^That's not a new feature though.
Doc

Post by Doc »

anderson wrote:^That's not a new feature though.
This never happened on my win 7 machine. Second time it has happened on win 8
anderson

Post by anderson »

It differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. I had to help my parents out with this a few weeks back (one of their cats did it), but couldn't recreate the issue on my own laptop.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:. . going to uninstall win 8 .. and .. install Win 7

folks, has anybody a better idea ? ? . .
Get a Mac . . ;)
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Windows 8

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Microsoft prepares U-turn on Windows 8

Analysts warned that changing course would be a significant admission of failure for Steve Ballmer, . .

. . “It’s a horrible thing for this to happen to your flagship product – he’ll take a hit for that,” . .

YMix

Post by YMix »

Fred discovers Windows 8:
I used PCs more or less contentedly until my wife bought me a back-up computer with Windows 8, which I thought would be an upgrade of Win 7. No. It is a vile marketing platform aimed at illiterate adolescents with cell phones—malign, an affront to civilization, probably designed by misanthropic garden slugs.
:D
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Both of my business partners are software developers and they upgraded to Windows 8 and think it's great. I didn't upgrade because I saw no point in doing the work of upgrading.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Security updates are possible for Win XP until April 2014.....'>>........

i have a Mac mini model1283A with a hatched video card. Since this is integral with the logicboard/motherboard that will have to be replaced, one go. Or I can buy a PC tower that runs Win 7 for considerably less. For the fun of it, the tech showed me a Pentium tower retrofitted to run Win 8. Pretty kewl, though the touchscreen monitor was more than twice the price of the comp.......

Thing I use the computer for is browse the internets and to be able to stream media. Oh, and being able to use MS Office or even OpenOffice would be a considerable advantage. Should I just jump to Windows?.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Security updates are possible for Win XP until April 2014.....'>>........

i have a Mac mini model1283A with a hatched video card. Since this is integral with the logicboard/motherboard that will have to be replaced, one go. Or I can buy a PC tower that runs Win 7 for considerably less. For the fun of it, the tech showed me a Pentium tower retrofitted to run Win 8. Pretty kewl, though the touchscreen monitor was more than twice the price of the comp.......

Thing I use the computer for is browse the internets and to be able to stream media. Oh, and being able to use MS Office or even OpenOffice would be a considerable advantage. Should I just jump to Windows?.........
Suggest yes.

Recommend LibreOffice
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

thnx.....^_^'..........

Helped my neighbour install and set up his Gateway Profile 5.5 this afternoon. (....and through about four diabetic meltdowns) Nice lil' all in one with a 17" flatscreen and 1 gig RAM running XP Pro for 150 buxx. Hope it keeps him happy for awhile...'>.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........