Active Duty Cop: War on Drugs is War on People

Enki

Active Duty Cop: War on Drugs is War on People

Post by Enki »

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
crashtech

Re: Active Duty Cop: War on Drugs is War on People

Post by crashtech »

Great story, thanks for sharing it.
“I just didn’t see problems from illegal drug users that I’d been led to believe,” the officer explained. “Most of the calls that we get on drug use, as police, are alcohol related. Alcohol is a serious drug that can be abused, but I just didn’t see the calls on other drugs like I had been led to believe. I didn’t see these drug-crazed people out there doing crazy things… Even growing up before entering law enforcement, I was always led to believe that the drug war was meant to stop all these people from doing crazy things. But on the street, that’s not what you see. That’s a lie.”
“I was in training, on ‘the other side of the tracks,’ for lack of better words, and we pulled a vehicle over,” he explained. “The guy, I think he had a defective taillight or something. He was sober, polite, respectful, no problems, and my training officer said, ‘Oh yeah, he’s gonna have drugs.’ So, I asked if we could search his vehicle and he gave me permission. Within no time, I found a small amount of (hard) drugs, so he was facing a serious charge. The whole time I was thinking, ‘This is not right. This guy’s keeping to himself, not hurting nobody, he’s a peaceful person.’ I instinctively knew this was wrong. I changed my perspective immediately. This was not the war on drugs that I thought it would be.”
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The so-called war on drugs is tragic comedic on many different levels:

1/ ruined many citizens lives through unnecessary incarceration;

2/ provided opportunity and support to organized crime;

3/ corrupted public officials at all levels of government;

4/ rationalized the ongoing restrictions of civil liberties;

5/rationalized ever increasing surveillance of the citizenry;

6/rationalized the ongoing militarization of the police; and

7/ resulted in a massive misapplication and waste of resources

all without stopping either the flow of or demand for illicit drugs in the US.

The odd thing is that if any country should have a perspective on this, then it would be the US given the history and outcomes of Prohibition.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Don't forget that they have expanded and mimicked the War on Drugs model despite its failure and are trying to use it to fight 'terror' and within the next couple of years 'piracy'. I expect a spike in the number of Americans incarcerated.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

So can we look forward to a time when half of the country will be employed keeping the other half in jail?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:So can we look forward to a time when half of the country will be employed keeping the other half in jail?
Yeah, it seems like it. Of course I think there will end up being a 'prison bubble' where it will all collapse. But I think we've kind of got to go through the motions until we get there.
-Alexander Hamilton
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

693px-US_incarceration_timeline-clean.svg.png
693px-US_incarceration_timeline-clean.svg.png (53.99 KiB) Viewed 427 times
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

We're #1! Yay!
Incarceration_rates_worldwide.gif
Incarceration_rates_worldwide.gif (21.87 KiB) Viewed 427 times
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

Enki wrote:
Typhoon wrote:So can we look forward to a time when half of the country will be employed keeping the other half in jail?
Yeah, it seems like it. Of course I think there will end up being a 'prison bubble' where it will all collapse. But I think we've kind of got to go through the motions until we get there.
Phillip Jose Farmer may have been prescient: One story line in "Venus on the Half Shell" by 'Kilgore Trout' decades ago (1976) dealt with a world where eventually with more and more laws as more & more people were jailed, the last free man became the warden of a planet composed of prison industries supervised by trustys ;) :shock: :twisted: :( :( :(

http://www.amazon.com/Venus-Half-Shell- ... 845&sr=1-1
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Enki

Post by Enki »

SxN_fB7dP6w
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

In the state of Florida, if a nurse is busted on tge job stealing opiates and claims addiction, she can have her license held in suspension until she completes a treatment program and other requirements as the state board may require. She will never be charged and can have the entire incident expunged from her record.

If she fails a single random test for marijuana, her nursing days are over. No appeals. Why?

Because it is understood by TPTB that nurses are under lots of stress, are often having to work with chronic pain, and are immersed in an environment where chemical sledgehammers are used to swat trivial fly/ maladies on a routine basis. Of course some will inevitably get into the stock; human nature. They can allow for it.

But pot? Pot has no accepted therapeutic use. If you use it, it's just escape, it's just rebellion. It is intentionally going put of your way, breaking the law, just to feel good ( as they see it, anyway). Doing that means not that you have even a moral problem, but that you just don't want to go with the program. You display a too- ready willingness to disregard The Way Everything Should Be. And so you aren't just a law breaker, or negligent, or even weak. You are an enemy of the State on a fundamental level. You are an heretic. You are a witch.

You know what happens to witches.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Demon of Undoing wrote:You know what happens to witches.
They get stitches?
-Alexander Hamilton
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Enki wrote:
They get stitches?
They turn people into newts...but they get better. 8-)
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Newt the Newt Gingrich, the Witch, Red Efts

Post by monster_gardener »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Enki wrote:
They get stitches?
They turn people into newts...but they get better. 8-)
Thank you Very Much for your post, NapLJOS.

:lol:

Quite right.

xzYO0joolR0

Newts.......... or even Gingriches :wink:

Was recently reading about newts of the cool salamander* type........ Quite interesting.............

The Eastern Newt begins life underwater, lives on land for 2 or 3 years as a "Red Eft" and then returns to the water........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_newt#Life_stages

Any help on html resizing appreciated............

EDIT: Many Thanks to Typhoon, Ymix, LzzrdGrrl or whoever kindly did the the resizing.

*As opposed to the hot type found in Elemental school.................. ;)
Last edited by monster_gardener on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Isn't he kewt? Just the size to sit on yer finger.......;).........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........