Year 2100

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Heracleum Persicum

Year 2100

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

We'll be uploading our entire MINDS to computers by 2045 and our bodies will be replaced by machines within 90 years

In just over 30 years, humans will be able to upload their entire minds to computers and become digitally immortal - an event called singularity - according to a futurist from Google.

Simple Minded

Re: Year 2100

Post by Simple Minded »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

We'll be uploading our entire MINDS to computers by 2045 and our bodies will be replaced by machines within 90 years

In just over 30 years, humans will be able to upload their entire minds to computers and become digitally immortal - an event called singularity - according to a futurist from Google.

Great! Now our preferred bullshit, delusions, misconceptions, and irrelevant view points will be permanent.

soon ignorance will not only be blissful, but eternal.

Instead of being wrong for only 20, 30, 50, or 70 years, we can all be wrong forever!!

Go long on filters! Demand is increasing....
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Good point. A lot of people who upload their minds will also upload programs that filter out stimuli that challenges their beliefs. It will make staying wrong even easier.
cultivate a white rose
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Azrael wrote:Good point. A lot of people who upload their minds will also upload programs that filter out stimuli that challenges their beliefs. It will make staying wrong even easier.

Don't we already do that now....? ;)

"Confirmation bias is the opiate of the masses. Information technology is the new religion." Karl Marx XI

"You can have my information filters when you pry them out of my cold dead fingers." Charlton Heston V

'When information filters are outlawed, only outlaws will have information filters." popular bumper sticker on flying cars in 2100
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

I can imagine replacing various body parts by machine equivalents, but I doubt that we will be "uploading our minds" unless we first figure out what the mind is.

Sounds too much like the futurgasms of past predictions.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Code: Select all

while(1)
{
    trigger = input();
    if concept.match(trigger) 
       output( cliches[trigger].random() );
}
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

while(1)
{
    trigger = input();
}

:lol: :lol:

like I said above, don't we already do that now?

Holy Spamfilter Codeman!!!

my mind is already all over the internet..... I find it everywhere I go..... everygenuflectingwhere! :(

What year is it? :?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

while(1)
{
    trigger = input();
}
Codeman,

I used to think Tinker was full of it when he said the singularity was near or is happening. This post convinces me it happened about 70 years ago.

I'm pretty sure most of the "humans" I've met are AIBots guided by 10-20 lines of code.....

Politicians, maybe 8 lines max....
Enki

Post by Enki »

I am not sure if Ray Kurzweil believes the mind is anything more than the data it contains.

His view of the Singularity and mine are a bit different.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote:I am not sure if Ray Kurzweil believes the mind is anything more than the data it contains .
this was the point of my little code quip :)
I used to think Tinker was full of it when he said the singularity was near or is happening. This post convinces me it happened about 70 years ago.

I'm pretty sure most of the "humans" I've met are AIBots guided by 10-20 lines of code.....

Politicians, maybe 8 lines max....
well i did leave out all the internal angst and emotions with creativity bit but one could emulate that with a randomiser anyway ;)

in terms of the actual public output of "other people" the dinky little eliza bots like my code snip have a strong track record of fooling the non observant punter and may people seem to not allow themselves scope to go beyond their own eliza bot when it comes to dealing with the outside world :P.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

watched a doco on the changeover from bronze age to iron age in western europe a few weeks ago and it had interesting parallels with the current disruptive tech changes and focused on the usually ignored period inbetween them.

nutshell - their was a 200 year gap of chaos between the bronze and iron ages even though on the face of it iron was such a big game changing "win" for all.

bronze required the much rarer copper and tin to be brought together from seperate locations so complex trade routes and systems formed around this and then the distribution of the finished product when the bronze was made also required these.

iron was found nearly everywhere and anyone with the skill could make it and use it locally so it not only made bronze irrelevant it made the entire system irrelevant - this caused 200 years of chaos in some places as the human politics worked themselves out.

does make one think about how hard the simple improvements can be and just how quickly societies can react to techno disruptions.

this shows up in our arguments here all the time - do we focus on the globalisation and automation that creates a need for bigger systems or do we focus on the liberating effect of these new tools that allow for much more independant smaller communities.

its hard to see it all settling down into the comfy and stable for quite some time yet.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

What is the name of that documentary?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton