Game of Thrones

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Enki

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Enki »

Ibrahim wrote:Finally wrapped up the third season on DVR. I have to say they are really turning Daenerys' plotline into a neo-liberal wet dream. Finally, the progressive white woman from the West can inculcate some civilization into their depraved Asiatics by teaching them things like foreplay and that slavery is bad. Oh, and her Eastern future-love interest is blonde now, but the slaves aren't? Interesting production choice. Gray Worm or bust.
Both the Targaryens and Daario Naeharys are Valyrians who are blond haired and blue eyed. On Westeros the only blond hair/blue eyed folks are the Lannisters. So the mythical east actually has more blond people than the area of the main action. Valyria is basically Rome.
Some pretty major scenes (no spoilerz!11!!) were well handled, but in some ways the show is almost a parody of itself. I haven't read the first three books for ten years, but I don't remember that much rape or near-rape.
Yeah, there is more rape in the show than in the books. Or in the books it's implied whereas it is lovingly crafted on screen.

But, and this is the most important thing, why don't the Ironborn have beards? Why don't they look like vikings? How do you blow that call?
lol
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:Finally wrapped up the third season on DVR. I have to say they are really turning Daenerys' plotline into a neo-liberal wet dream. Finally, the progressive white woman from the West can inculcate some civilization into their depraved Asiatics by teaching them things like foreplay and that slavery is bad. Oh, and her Eastern future-love interest is blonde now, but the slaves aren't? Interesting production choice. Gray Worm or bust.
Both the Targaryens and Daario Naeharys are Valyrians who are blond haired and blue eyed. On Westeros the only blond hair/blue eyed folks are the Lannisters. So the mythical east actually has more blond people than the area of the main action. Valyria is basically Rome.
I get that they are comparable to Rome, but I thought Daario was specifically described as looking mediterranean. Romans were initially not blonde, and IIRC one of the Catos was insulted and called a fake Roman based on being blonde. Later on it looked like NYC though.

No problem with the Targaryans being uber-white. In the books her acceptance by the locals is partially opposed, and she makes a number of major mistakes. We have yet to see that in the series, which is doubling down on the "mighty whitey" trope.

Some pretty major scenes (no spoilerz!11!!) were well handled, but in some ways the show is almost a parody of itself. I haven't read the first three books for ten years, but I don't remember that much rape or near-rape.
Yeah, there is more rape in the show than in the books. Or in the books it's implied whereas it is lovingly crafted on screen.
I just don't get it.

But, and this is the most important thing, why don't the Ironborn have beards? Why don't they look like vikings? How do you blow that call?
lol
I bet we could find two dozen Viking-looking Northern Irish extras within 15 minutes of getting off the plane.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

5Krz-dyD-UQ
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

lol brilliant
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

So the other day when I went to the DMV to renew my DL, the receptionist that was telling me what other documents I needed but didn't have happened to be a little person, and very officious.

All I could think was," Goddamn Lannisters".
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Demon of Undoing wrote:So the other day when I went to the DMV to renew my DL, the receptionist that was telling me what other documents I needed but didn't have happened to be a little person, and very officious.

In Florida we can renew online. Very simple, and avoids the Federal data linkage the walk-in offices demand on establishing.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

about the only thing left in game of thrones that makes me lift my head up and watch the tv is the lannisters - i think once the old man dies off ill hardly bother watching it all because the scenes with him and his kids are on another level to the rest of it, especially if the spider is involved.

the tyrells (?) are ok but thats probably because i could look at the elfish chick all day.

dragon tits, the starks and most of the others are hollow shells of boring, atleast the latter is gone now.
ultracrepidarian
Demon of Undoing

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:So the other day when I went to the DMV to renew my DL, the receptionist that was telling me what other documents I needed but didn't have happened to be a little person, and very officious.

In Florida we can renew online. Very simple, and avoids the Federal data linkage the walk-in offices demand on establishing.

Can't do that if you have the type of DL I do. They want to verify at every opportunity that I'm not wearing a hijab and don't work for Al Quaeda.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

Can't do that if you have the type of DL I do. They want to verify at every opportunity that I'm not wearing a hijab and don't work for Al Quaeda.
I've had my suspicions for some time now...
Demon of Undoing

Ibrahim wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

You and Mr P both. I think I'm the Damascus Candidate. Just the other day, I ate couscous and lamb and don't know why.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

You and Mr P both. I think I'm the Damascus Candidate. Just the other day, I ate couscous and lamb and don't know why.
Its not for you to know why. The Saudi royal family knows why.

Next you will find yourself trying to off-road in a Lamborghini.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

funny_picdump_1123_640_52.jpg
funny_picdump_1123_640_52.jpg (39.4 KiB) Viewed 842 times
[Never watched the series, but the expression says it all . . .]