Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

WSJ : A Jobless Recovery Is a Phony Recovery

More people have left the workforce than got a new job during the recovery—by a factor of nearly three.

In recent months, Americans have heard reports out of Washington and in the media that the economy is looking up—that recovery from the Great Recession is gathering steam. If only it were true. The longest and worst recession since the end of World War II has been marked by the weakest recovery from any U.S. recession in that same period.

The jobless nature of the recovery is particularly unsettling. In June, the government's Household Survey reported that since the start of the year, the number of people with jobs increased by 753,000—but there are jobs and then there are "jobs." No fewer than 557,000 of these positions were only part-time. The survey also reported that in June full-time jobs declined by 240,000, while part-time jobs soared by 360,000 and have now reached an all-time high of 28,059,000—three million more part-time positions than when the recession began at the end of 2007.

That's just for starters. The survey includes part-time workers who want full-time work but can't get it, as well as those who want to work but have stopped looking. That puts the real unemployment rate for June at 14.3%, up from 13.8% in May.

The 7.6% unemployment figure so common in headlines these days is utterly misleading. An estimated 22 million Americans are unemployed or underemployed; they are virtually invisible and mostly excluded from unemployment calculations that garner headlines.

At this stage of an expansion you would expect the number of part-time jobs to be declining, as companies would be doing more full-time hiring. Not this time. In the long misery of this post-recession period, we have an extraordinary situation: Americans by the millions are in part-time work because there are no other employment opportunities as businesses increase their reliance on independent contractors and part-time, temporary and seasonal employees.

Even the federal government payroll is turning to part-timers: In June 2012, 58,000 federal workers were part-timers. This year it's 148,000, and we still don't know how the budget sequester will play out, for many agencies have resorted to furloughs rather than layoffs.

The latest unemployment report was as underwhelming as the Household Survey. The biggest gains in June came from leisure and hospitality industries, including hotels and fast-food restaurants. Of the 195,000 new payroll jobs, 75,000 were in restaurants and bars, where the average weekly paycheck is about $351, less than half the average for all other private industries. Not to mention that these positions offer fewer hours, especially in the restaurant world, which has averaged 26.1 hours per week versus 34.5 hours for all private employers.

What's going on? The fundamentals surely reflect the feebleness of the macroeconomic recovery that began roughly four years ago, as seen in an average gross domestic product growth rate annualized over the past 15 quarters at a miserable 2%. That's the weakest GDP growth since World War II. Over a similar period in previous recessions, growth averaged 4.1%. During the fourth quarter of 2012 and the first quarter of 2013, the GDP growth rate dropped below 2%. This anemic growth is all we have to show for the greatest fiscal and monetary stimuli in 75 years, with fiscal deficits of over 10% of GDP for four consecutive years. The misery is not going to end soon.

ObamaCare is partially to blame. The health-insurance law requires employers with more than 50 workers to provide health insurance or pay a $2,000 penalty per worker. Under the law, a full-time job is defined as 30 hours a week, so businesses, especially smaller ones, have an incentive to bring on more part-time workers.

Little wonder that earlier this month the Obama administration announced it is postponing the employer mandate until 2015, undoubtedly to see if the delay will encourage more full-time hiring. But thousands of small businesses have been capping employment at 30 hours and not hiring more than 50 full-timers, and the businesses are unlikely to suddenly change that approach just because they received a 12-month reprieve.

These businesses' hesitation to hire is part of a larger caution among employers unsure about the direction of government policy—and which has helped contribute to chronic long-term unemployment that shows no sign of easing. Unlike those who lose a job and then find another one in a matter of weeks or months, fully a third of the currently unemployed have been out of work for more than six months. As they remain out of the workforce, their skills deteriorating, the likelihood rises that they will be seen as permanently unemployable. With each passing month of bleak job news, the possibility increases of a structural unemployment problem in the U.S. such as Europe experienced in the 1980s.

That brings us to a stunning fact about the jobless recovery: The measure of those adults who can work and have jobs, known as the civilian workforce-participation rate, is currently 63.5%—a drop of 2.2% since the recession ended. Such a decline amid a supposedly expanding economy has never happened after previous recessions. Another statistic that underscores why this is such a dysfunctional labor market is that the number of people leaving the workforce during this economic recovery has actually outpaced the number of people finding a new job by a factor of nearly three.

What the country clearly needs are policies that will encourage the modernization of America's capital stock, where investment in modern production has plunged to the lowest levels in decades. Policies should also be targeted to nourish high-tech industries, which will in turn inspire the design and manufacture of products in the U.S. where they would be closer to the American market, spurring more hiring. This means preparing a skilled workforce, especially engineers suitable to work in manufacturing, and increasing the number of visas available to foreign graduate students in the hard sciences—who are now forced to leave America and who then work for foreign competitors.

Similarly, patent-application processing must be streamlined: The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office should be a channel for innovation, but instead has for too long been and an impediment to the swift introduction of new ideas. Finally, the country should engage in a major infrastructure program to improve airports as America once did for railroads and highways. Air cargo and air travel are linchpins of the economy, yet air-traffic-control technology is stuck in the last century.

It is imperative that the U.S. focus on innovative and creative policies. Otherwise, the five-year crisis in employment will continue even when the economy seems to be recovering. Without such a focus, millions of American families whose breadwinners are unemployed or underemployed will remain dispiriting and apprehensive about the future, especially the young who are entering the workforce. The country needs a real recovery, not a phony one.

Mr. Perfect, you home ? ? :D

Endovelico

War as a solution?...

Post by Endovelico »

From the Zero Hedge:
Is War Now "Inevitable"
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 09/12/2013 17:00 -0400

(...)

So what is the only possible way out left for a country in which monetary policy has failed on all fronts except to inflate asset prices to stratospheric levels, and yet the economy still refuses to budge? For the answer we go to Deutsche Bank one last time:

"During the US Great Depression the huge declines in consumer and businesses confidence in the face of mass unemployment can be seen in the extremely and persistently low level of velocity.... As it turned out, the US economy managed to grow at an average of 13.5% a year over the next 10 years and was back on ‘target’ by 1944.... Velocity also moved during the recovery from the Great Depression as the US war machine swung into action in the early 1940s."

In other words, at a time when the US was in almost an identical predicament and GDP catch up would have been impossible by any other means, what happened? World War. Luckily, for the US it generated unprecedented growth and cemented its status as the world's super power, and the USD as the reserve currency. Others were not so lucky.

Are we the only ones who suggest that the only outcome is a military one? No. Recall from Kyle Bass:

"Trillions of dollars of debts will be restructured and millions of financially prudent savers will lose large percentages of their real purchasing power at exactly the wrong time in their lives. Again, the world will not end, but the social fabric of the profligate nations will be stretched and in some cases torn. Sadly, looking back through economic history, all too often war is the manifestation of simple economic entropy played to its logical conclusion. We believe that war is an inevitable consequence of the current global economic situation."

"Inevitable"

Which also means preconceived from the start. So despite a recent sense of detente in Syria, pay close attention: never since the cold war has the world been so close to the edge of a full-blown global military conflict. Whether or not the Syria "trigger" has been produced as the catalyst that will spark growth, or is merely a precursor to such an event is still unclear. However with every passing day, the US economy lags ever more behind its "trendline" and the common man gets left ever further behind the superclass of financial asset oligarchs, a state which the president opined recently was unacceptable. The question is whether millions of war casualties for the sake of yet another economic "golden age" aren't.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-1 ... inevitable
I have, for quite a while, defended another solution:

Global debt pardon!
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The people that own the debt being pardoned will simply start the war instead.
Censorship isn't necessary
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Mr. Perfect wrote:The people that own the debt being pardoned will simply start the war instead.
Not really. They are a minority and are used to having other people fighting their wars. Besides, they might find it difficult to find voluntaries...
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The ones that own the debt already own the gov't, they are already calling the shots and deciding the wars, and people sign up voluntarily all the live long day.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Telegraph | Bank of America advises China default contracts to hedge debt storm
Chinese bond yields have already risen to the highest in a decade yet markets remain “complacent” about the implications
Fitch Ratings says the explosive growth of loans over the last five years in China is unprecedented in any major country in recorded history. Credit has risen from 125pc to 200pc of GDP, if all forms wealth products and offshore banking are included. The Chinese credit system has grown to $24 trillion from $9 trillion in late 2008, equivalent to adding the entire US commercial banking system.

The pace of credit growth over the five-year period exceeds the extremes seen before Japan’s Nikkei bubble burst in 1990, or before the onset of the US housing crash in 2007.
My guess is that the next financial crisis will have it's origins in China.

After all, why should the US get to have all the fun.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Speaking of a shortage of cash . . .

The Dip | China’s Shadow Currency
Bankers acceptance notes [IOUs] are financing tremendous speculation in China’s provinces. How long can this last?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Typhoon,

I've been following the news. What's your personal take on the news? Could it actually burst this time? I remember Chanos et all have been predicting China to go tits up since I could read in English, so I'm taking the news of imminent bank demise with the requisite dollop of salt.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Taboo wrote:Typhoon,

I've been following the news. What's your personal take on the news? Could it actually burst this time?
I wish I knew.

If this shadow banking bubble is real, then it's only going to get bigger and eventually burst.
Taboo wrote:I remember Chanos et all have been predicting China to go tits up since I could read in English, so I'm taking the news of imminent bank demise with the requisite dollop of salt.
The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

~ J. M. Keynes [attributed]
Like you I'm skeptical of predictions of imminent demise in any market, US, China, or others.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Taboo wrote:Typhoon,

I've been following the news. What's your personal take on the news? Could it actually burst this time?
I wish I knew.

If this shadow banking bubble is real, then it's only going to get bigger and eventually burst.
Taboo wrote:I remember Chanos et all have been predicting China to go tits up since I could read in English, so I'm taking the news of imminent bank demise with the requisite dollop of salt.
The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

~ J. M. Keynes [attributed]
Like you I'm skeptical of predictions of imminent demise in any market, US, China, or others.
When the bubble bursts the Chinese may double down on their currency peg against the dollar. If they don't the value of the dollar will implode.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Why would the dollar "implode" because of an economic crisis in China?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:Why would the dollar "implode" because of an economic crisis in China?
The Yuan is more or less locked with the dollar. IF the Yuan deflates rapidly the Chinese will have a choice of buying lots and lots of dollars or letting the dollar devalue verses the Yuan. If they let it devalue the dollar will likely be worth significantly less. AKA implosion. I would think the Chinese would not let that happen as everyone would lose. However given behavior of the CCP leadership lately I am not so sure. Look at it this way. Gasoline costs ~ $3.50 because the dollar is worth less. Food costs more because the dollar is worth less. However Chinese goods have stayed about the same (Though from where I sit they appear to be going up but not sure yet. )because the Chinese to gain market share have been pegging the Yuan to the dollar. So what happens if all the Chinese stuff being sold online and in the big box stores suddenly costs 2 or 3 times what they cost now?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Doc wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:Why would the dollar "implode" because of an economic crisis in China?
The Yuan is more or less locked with the dollar. IF the Yuan deflates rapidly the Chinese will have a choice of buying lots and lots of dollars or letting the dollar devalue verses the Yuan.
RMB is pegged to the dollar not vice versa. If RMB depreciates, it does not mean the dollar will depreciate with it.
If they let it devalue the dollar will likely be worth significantly less.
But why?

Exchange ratios should be driven by relative demand for the currencies. If there is a Chinese economic implosion, it is unlikely that global investors will be rushing to purchase RMB-denominated bonds and securities, but very likely that the Chinese themselves and anyone else holding RMB would exchange them for USD, driving the price of USD up.

The fact that China has a trade surplus with most nations -- and an economic implosion would probably not change this much -- should put a floor on RMB depreciation.
Gasoline costs ~ $3.50 because the dollar is worth less.
Makes sense.
Food costs more because the dollar is worth less.
I thought most of our food is grown within the US. Unless oil-dependent expenses are the dominant factor in food prices, I would expect them to fluctuate less drastically. But I could be wrong.
So what happens if all the Chinese stuff being sold online and in the big box stores suddenly costs 2 or 3 times what they cost now?
That is of course assuming that the USD would implode and it's not clear that it would. Rather, I think the USD would strengthen and the Chinese would be even more dependent on us financing their ailing economy by buying their junk than they are now.

If for some reason Chinese products increased in price two or threefold, it would be a boon to domestic US industry (or at least for some other country with low labor costs).
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:
Doc wrote:
The Yuan is more or less locked with the dollar. IF the Yuan deflates rapidly the Chinese will have a choice of buying lots and lots of dollars or letting the dollar devalue verses the Yuan.
RMB is pegged to the dollar not vice versa. If RMB depreciates, it does not mean the dollar will depreciate with it.
People know they can exchange dollars for RMB at a fixed rate. If RMB is about to Appreciate (not depreciate) then the value is in the RMB not the dollar. The RMB has in effect become the gold standard for dollars. If the Chinese suddenly decide to stop pegging the RMB to dollars the dollar will drop in value. This is probably not in the interest of the Chinese now but that could change. The most likely scenario for that to happen would be that the US for whatever reason stops buying CHinese goods. Then there would be no reason to tie the RMB to the dollar as the Chinese would have sucked the US dry.
If they let it devalue the dollar will likely be worth significantly less.
But why?
Sorry I wrote the above wrong. If the Chinese stop pegging the RMB to the dollar the dollar will devalue.
Exchange ratios should be driven by relative demand for the currencies. If there is a Chinese economic implosion, it is unlikely that global investors will be rushing to purchase RMB-denominated bonds and securities, but very likely that the Chinese themselves and anyone else holding RMB would exchange them for USD, driving the price of USD up.

The fact that China has a trade surplus with most nations -- and an economic implosion would probably not change this much -- should put a floor on RMB depreciation.
Gasoline costs ~ $3.50 because the dollar is worth less.
Makes sense.
You can also see it int he Stock market from 2009 to I believe late 2011. Just plot the Dow Jones against the price of gold for that period. There really wasn't a stock rally It was that the dollar dropped in value. The reason it has gone up since is because the Big Corporations are buying things cheap in China and selling for huge profits in the US. All because the RMB is pegged to the dollar, tariffs are low and as of now the Chinese government seems to be subsidizing shipping (rather than products directly) to at least the US, if not the world.
Food costs more because the dollar is worth less.
I thought most of our food is grown within the US. Unless oil-dependent expenses are the dominant factor in food prices, I would expect them to fluctuate less drastically. But I could be wrong.

Our agriculture is highly mechanized. Without the mechanization we and the world for that matter would produce much less food. So yes oil prices make a big difference.
So what happens if all the Chinese stuff being sold online and in the big box stores suddenly costs 2 or 3 times what they cost now?
That is of course assuming that the USD would implode and it's not clear that it would. Rather, I think the USD would strengthen and the Chinese would be even more dependent on us financing their ailing economy by buying their junk than they are now.

If for some reason Chinese products increased in price two or threefold, it would be a boon to domestic US industry (or at least for some other country with low labor costs).
Yes that last line is right. But in the mean time, while things stabilize, it would be quite a roller coaster ride. But like I said I don't see how it wold be more than a threat right now because it would not be in their interests at this moment.
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 21315.html

Economists now gloomy on BRICs, bullish on Uncle Sam.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Abby was a big salesperson for the tech bubble, so...
Alexis

The Bear : Deflation shock-wave to trigger global recession

Post by Alexis »

Albert Edwards from SocGen about seriousness of emerging economies crisis, plus a few thoughts by good old Ambrose Evans-Pritchard

Careful ! The bear strikes, and he strikes strong !

"The ongoing emerging market debacle will be less contained than sub-prime ultimately proved to be. The simple fact is that US and global profits growth have reached tipping point and the unfolding EM crisis will push global profits and thereafter the global economy into deep recession."
What we are seeing is a "direct replay" of the East Asia crisis of 1997 but on a bigger scale. A strong dollar/weak yen world is an "incendiary mix" for emerging markets. It tightens liquidity while delivering a trade shock to weaker economies.
Analysts are slashing their forecasts at an "all-time record rate – this is wholly inconsistent with talk of economic acceleration".
"The dire profits situation will only get worse as EM implodes and waves of deflation flow from Asia to overwhelm the fragile situation in the US and Europe."
This week's slump in America's ISM manufacturing gauge is the "straw in the wind" of what is to come. "Even if the Fed resumes massive QE at some point as the world melts down, and markets desperately attempt their return to the dream trance, they will instead find themselves locked into a Freddy Krueger-like nightmare in which phase 3 of this secular bear market takes equity valuations down to levels not seen for a generation."
(...)
I hate to think what would happen if Albert were right. The world cannot take such an outcome in its present enfeebled condition.
It would push China into a dangerous crisis, greatly raising the risk a diversionary military clash with Japan, which would in turn embroil the US in a Pacific War.
It would doom any chance of recovery in southern Europe, sending debt trajectories and jobless rates through the roof. The European Project would disintegrate in acrimony, with a chain of sovereign defaults pushing Germany into depression.
Britain would spin into another financial cataclysm, this time having to rescue banks with huge exposure to emerging markets and China (through Hong Kong). This would be hard to explain to long-suffering British taxpayers a second time. The retribution that bankers deftly avoided post-Lehman would be crushing.
Much of the world would revert to capital controls, locking down trillions of foreign wealth much as the Bolshevik revolution wiped out French investors. Western pensioners would face a greatly impoverished old age.
It would cause the further implosion of Argentina, risking a fresh Falklands War with Britain. It would endanger Brazil's democracy, and tempt military coups in several Latin American states.
It would lead to the economic collapse of Russia, with fearsome implications for Ukraine and ex-Soviet sphere.
I could go on,
But in the end I am not as gloomy as Albert — though I share his fears over the gravity of the EM crisis, and the implications of Fed tightening.
The financial world is ultimately smoke and mirrors. Debt is a mirage. Creditor claims can be "re-arranged" at the point of a bayonet if need be, and often are.
You can conjure all kinds of tricks, and wave all kinds of magic wands. A determined central bank – backed by a credible government and a cohesive society – can achieve miracles. Any deflationary shock can overpowered.
Political will can always triumph over these setbacks. To borrow from the Habsburgs, the situation may be desperate but it is not serious. So waltz on, and keep the champagne flowing.
OK, so Edwards from SocGen is to be sure an ultra-Bear - he has generally a very pessimistic outlook - but he's a serious analyst and always interesting to read, no matter whether one agrees with him, or not.

So the fact that he suddenly starts to describe the financial equivalent of Judgment Day has to count for something.

I like Evans-Pritchard's optimism, which makes a pretty contrast : "Political will can always triumph over these setbacks"

Remains that the quote he is recalling "In Vienna, situation is desperate, but it is not serious" dates back from WWI.
It may be worth to remind how that particular war ended for the Empire of the Habsbourg...
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Mr. Perfect wrote:.

Abby was a big salesperson for the tech bubble, so...

come on, MP, come on .. you novice ? ?

Yes, she (and that idi*t Greenspan) were selling you the tech rubbish.

Mr. Perfect .. you mis-reading Abby .. She not into YOU making money :lol: :lol: .. she probably short when tellin you buy

YMix

Post by YMix »

And we're up to five.
Another JPMorgan Banker Dies, 37 Year Old Executive Director Of Program Trading
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

YMix wrote:And we're up to five.
Another JPMorgan Banker Dies, 37 Year Old Executive Director Of Program Trading
How many still to go?... :D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tabibi | Banks are no longer just financing heavy industry. They are actually buying it up and inventing bigger, bolder and scarier scams than ever
Today, banks like Morgan Stanley, JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs own oil tankers, run airports and control huge quantities of coal, natural gas, heating oil, electric power and precious metals. They likewise can now be found exerting direct control over the supply of a whole galaxy of raw materials crucial to world industry and to society in general, including everything from food products to metals like zinc, copper, tin, nickel and, most infamously thanks to a recent high-profile scandal, aluminum. And they're doing it not just here but abroad as well: In Denmark, thousands took to the streets in protest in recent weeks, vampire-squid banners in hand, when news came out that Goldman Sachs was about to buy a 19 percent stake in Dong Energy, a national electric provider. The furor inspired mass resignations of ministers from the government's ruling coalition, as the Danish public wondered how an American investment bank could possibly hold so much influence over the state energy grid.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nothing new under the sun. If only there was a Democrat President to save us.