Re: Technical Issues and Problems

Post by Typhoon »

Upgraded the phpBB "Share On" Mod which allows one to share a post on

Facebook
Twitter
Reddit
Tumblr
Google+

but the links show up only on the top post of each page on my system.

Are other posters seeing the same?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Upgraded the phpBB "Share On" Mod which allows one to share a post on

Facebook
Twitter
Reddit
Tumblr
Google+

Same here It is not letting me share a post, but rather allowing me to share a topic in Twitter. You might check and see if there is a setting for individual posts.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Upgraded the phpBB "Share On" Mod which allows one to share a post on

Facebook
Twitter
Reddit
Tumblr
Google+

Same here It is not letting me share a post, but rather allowing me to share a topic in Twitter. You might check and see if there is a setting for individual posts.
I thought I had it set to share an individual post. Possible that I messed up the version up as it involves copy and pasting a lot of code . . . will investigate at some point.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The quote text button edit and delete buttons are not appearing for me.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote:The quote text button edit and delete buttons are not appearing for me.
Now they are back

Actually they are only showing in this thread as far as I have seen thus far.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:The quote text button edit and delete buttons are not appearing for me.
Now they are back

I can't reproduce this issue.

Can any other poster do so?

Suggest logging out, deleting the board cookies [bottom of page], clearing your cache, and logging back in.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Now they are back

I can't reproduce this issue.

Can any other poster do so?
Haven't encountered it yet.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Me neither.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Another, admittedly unpleasant, possibility is a computer virus causing odd browser behaviour.

I assume you have anti-virus software installed.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Another, admittedly unpleasant, possibility is a computer virus causing odd browser behaviour.

Whatever it was it is cleared up now. May have been because the browser was taking up to much memory.the problem seemed to disappear after I restarted it. And yes I have very good anti-virus software. I wouldn't leave the local network without it.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Another, admittedly unpleasant, possibility is a computer virus causing odd browser behaviour.

Whatever it was it is cleared up now. May have been because the browser was taking up to much memory.the problem seemed to disappear after I restarted it. And yes I have very good anti-virus software. I wouldn't leave the local network without it.
All's well that ends well.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

All's well that ends well.

Yeap. Like the man was heard to say as he passed each floor when falling from a 10 story building "So far, so good","So far, so good" :P
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apologies to anyone who could not access the OTNOT forum recently.

After a host scheduled server upgrade:
Monday, February 03, 2014 11:09 AM

Tomorrow night, beginning between the hours of 8 PM - 4 AM MST, we will be performing a kernel update on your server. We estimate the outage to be approximately 15-30 minutes. During this time, your email, website and account will not be accessible. This updated kernel brings a number of significant enhancements in all aspects of the kernel, the integral part of which the rest of the Operating System relies upon. You can read more about the changes in this kernel at http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4.

We apologize that we cannot give you an exact time-frame between these 8 hours as to when you will experience the downtime due to the number of additional servers we will be performing this update on as well.
the sql database of this site was not properly restored.

Opening a ticket with the hosting provider prompted a fix.

Looks like the OTNOT forum was restored to a recent but not most recent state.

Apologies for any lost posts and confusion. _(__)_
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

It seems that every post I've made after January 1 (until this one) has been removed. At least two posts have been removed (both from yesterday); but I think more.

Does anyone know what's happened?
cultivate a white rose
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Azrael wrote:It seems that every post I've made after January 1 (until this one) has been removed. At least two posts have been removed (both from yesterday); but I think more.

I think it was Obama and those frickin' Democrats again. At least Mr. P warned us about this, so it isn't a great shock.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:It seems that every post I've made after January 1 (until this one) has been removed. At least two posts have been removed (both from yesterday); but I think more.

There was a server upgrade that ran into some problems on the hosting company side.

When the board was restored, it was not restored to it's most recent state.

If I had anticipated that this could happen, then I would have backed up the board.

Sorry about the inconvenience.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:

I think it was Obama and those frickin' Democrats again. At least Mr. P warned us about this, so it isn't a great shock.
I heard it was the Koch brothers.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Scheduled Maintenenace On The Server Hosting onthenatureofthings.net
Tomorrow night, beginning between the hours of 8 PM - 4 AM MST, we will be performing a kernel update on your server. We estimate the outage to be approximately 15-30 minutes. During this time, your email, website and account will not be accessible. This updated kernel brings further enhancements and fixes in all aspects of the kernel, the integral part of which the rest of the Operating System relies upon.

We apologize that we cannot give you an exact time-frame between these 8 hours as to when you will experience the downtime due to the number of additional servers we will be performing this update on as well.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Did you get rid of the ability to sign in as a hidden user?

I can't seem to find the button for it anymore.
Doc

Post by Doc »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Did you get rid of the ability to sign in as a hidden user?

Still there Nap:
login.JPG
login.JPG (9.91 KiB) Viewed 6370 times
IE "Hide my online status"

This is from the login on the main index page of the forum
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Did you get rid of the ability to sign in as a hidden user?

Still there Nap:
login.JPG

Yes, it does not " Hide my online status this session" .. I always hide myself :) , but recently does not work

NSA @ work ? ? ? :lol:

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Doc wrote:

Still there Nap:
login.JPG

You are quite right. I just logged out and logged back in Selected "Hide my online status" I show up at least to myself as online.

Yes, it does not " Hide my online status this session" .. I always hide myself :) , but recently does not work

NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Doc wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Doc wrote:

Still there Nap:
login.JPG

You are quite right. I just logged out and logged back in Selected "Hide my online status" I show up at least to myself as online.

There used to be a hide my online status option under the control panel/board options- that is what I was referring to. It's not a huge deal any way, but I was hoping to hear from Typhoon to see if he'd give us a reason for getting rid of it.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
There used to be a hide my online status option under the control panel/board options- that is what I was referring to. It's not a huge deal any way, but I was hoping to hear from Typhoon to see if he'd give us a reason for getting rid of it.
Probably turned it off by error during maintenance.

If and when I remember where the switch is, then I'll turn it on again.

Sorry.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Log on period seems to be too short I was writing a long reply. On the time it took me to finish it, In maybe 30 minutes, I was logged off. Since someone else posted to the same thread in that time I lost my entire post. IE Hitting back took me to the new post.
Last edited by Doc on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.