Christ as a capitalist

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
manolo

Re: Christ as a capitalist

Post by manolo »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Caring for others is also a selfish pursuit.
Mr P,

I have known some people who hold that belief. Usually the name 'Rand' comes up.

Alex.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Mr. Perfect wrote: However, in the end, your salvation or lack thereof in your case will be a purely solitary affair.
Mr P and folks,

This has been an interesting and enlightening thread. As an agnostic I don't tend to strong beliefs, but one quite strong feeling is that there is no salvation or metaphysical selection of any kind. I feel that we are all in it together, our destinies are one and the same. IMHO the notion of metaphysical selection is likely to be a human projection based on ego. An attribute of the self.

Of course, I may be wrong.

Alex.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

manolo wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote: Caring for others is also a selfish pursuit.
Mr P,

I have known some people who hold that belief. Usually the name 'Rand' comes up.

Alex.
Regardless of where it comes from it remains true. In the episode of "Friends" (USA TV show) it was also discussed. Any time you do something you think is right or good you are acting selfishly.

Is there something wrong with Ayn Rand.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

manolo wrote:I feel that we are all in it together, our destinies are one and the same.
i have been entertaining for some time the notion that our beliefs and ideologies are more to do with our personality types than anything we have reasoned or thought out.

The above sentiment is abhorrent to me.
IMHO the notion of metaphysical selection is likely to be a human projection based on ego. An attribute of the self.
There is quite a bit of physical selection, not sure why it wouldn't extend to the metaphysical.
Of course, I may be wrong.
Indeed. :)
Censorship isn't necessary
manolo

Post by manolo »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
manolo wrote:I feel that we are all in it together, our destinies are one and the same.
The above sentiment is abhorrent to me.
Mr P,

That's interesting and honest too. I don't feel so strongly negative about the notions of selection and exclusion. However, if I arrive in such a process after death I'm pretty sure I would prefer to be among the excluded. :)

Alex.