U.S. Foreign Policy

Heracleum Persicum

Re: U.S. Foreign Policy

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Mikhail Gorbachev :

“ Earlier Crimea was merged with Ukraine under Soviet laws, to be more exact by the [Communist] party's laws, without asking the people, and now the people have decided to correct that mistake. This should be welcomed instead of declaring sanctions, ", Gorbachev told Interfax on Monday.

Bravo Gorbi, Bravo

Baker hiding .. why (cowered) Baker not sayin anything ? ?

Gorbachev praised the referendum, stating that it “reflects the aspirations of Crimea's residents."

He criticized the use of sanctions against Russia in retaliation to the referendum. "To declare sanctions you need very serious reasons. And they must be upheld by the UN," Gorbachev added. "The will of the people of the Crimea and the Crimea's possible unification with Russia as a constituent region do not constitute such a reason.”

The international observers who were present during the referendum made an official statement on Monday that the vote was free and conformed to international standards.

Crimea also addressed the UN seeking recognition as a sovereign state. "The Republic of Crimea intends to build its relations with other states on the basis of equality, peace, mutual neighborly cooperation, and other generally agreed principles of political, economic and cultural cooperation between states," the parliament said.

Crimea done .. now what about the rest ? ? ? :)
Heracleum Persicum

“What happened in Ukraine reflects the situation that unfolds in the entire world,” he said with reference to the revolution in the neighbouring country which Moscow has denounced as a Western-sponsored coup. “After the bipolar world broke down, the US decided to use the politics of a strong hand. They think they have been entrusted by God and put pressure on sovereign states.”

:)

“We are not against Nato, but we don’t want this military alliance close to our home, to our historical lands. We don’t want to go to Sevastopol and be greeted by Nato sailors,”

“I had a dream on Sunday that we will be part of Russia and it’s come true,” said Lyubov Oksinenko, a pensioner in the Crimean capital of Simferopol. “I’ve been waiting for years for this feeling of freedom and it’s finally come.”

Olga Andreevna, a local Sevastopol museum director, who had printed out lyrics to sing along to the Russian anthem, called Mr Putin’s speech a “morale boost”. “The journey has begun. We know the existing laws and everything will need to be changed. We understand that it won’t be easy but we are ready,” she said.

“We are home at last,” said Lyudmila Grinenko, her colleague.

“Putin is a genius,’ said Vladimir Shakhvorovtsev, a Crimean Cossack ataman or chieftain who is a member of the peninsula’s self-styled self-defence force. “He made sure there was no violence here, he protected us. And now we have joined Russia without a shot being fired.”

:lol:

well, folks
Heracleum Persicum

Heracleum Persicum

Bill Clinton

Clinton, citing his own dealings with Putin, said the Russian president was never misleading.

“The one thing I will say about him is he was always pretty transparent. He never pretended to be what he wasn’t and I found in dealing with him—and by the way, with most other leaders with whom I had differences—that it was best to be brutal with him in private and be honest because they respected you if you were, and then as long as you could, to avoid embarrassing them in public,” Clinton said.

“You can normally work with someone like that and I just hope and pray this thing is not going to spin out of hand,” he said.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Bill Clinton

Clinton, citing his own dealings with Putin, said the Russian president was never misleading.

“The one thing I will say about him is he was always pretty transparent. He never pretended to be what he wasn’t and I found in dealing with him—and by the way, with most other leaders with whom I had differences—that it was best to be brutal with him in private and be honest because they respected you if you were, and then as long as you could, to avoid embarrassing them in public,” Clinton said.

“You can normally work with someone like that and I just hope and pray this thing is not going to spin out of hand,” he said.
So even Bill Clinton is now, indirectly at least, calling Obama incompetent.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:

Bill Clinton

What should Obama do ? ? ?

Gorbi says Putin just correcting past (USSR) mistakes

All this was a treason done to Ukraine by "Yulia Tymoshenko" .. Ukrainian nationalist must arrest her and put her in-front of a court .. it was obvious Crimea was Russian but she would not let go .. well, she got what she deserved, losing Crimea .. if not careful, East Ukraine could follow

Obama can do nothing .. America, Europe needs Russia to solve many issues worldwide
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Doc wrote:

Bill Clinton

Resign.
Tell that to the Bosnians.
All this was a treason done to Ukraine by "Yulia Tymoshenko" .. Ukrainian nationalist must arrest her and put her in-front of a court .. it was obvious Crimea was Russian but she would not let go .. well, she got what she deserved, losing Crimea .. if not careful, East Ukraine could follow

Obama can do nothing .. America, Europe needs Russia to solve many issues worldwide
This was written Produced and Directed by Putin. It has his finger prints all over it. He took what did not belong to him. There is no doubt about this no matter how much you try to blame the victim.

Russia can go to hell. The US does not need them but rather It needs a competent president.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Hillary Saying obama Incompetent for a Long While.....

Post by monster_gardener »

Doc wrote:

Bill Clinton

Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Doc.
Hillary has been saying that for a long time......... ;) :twisted: :lol:

7yr7odFUARg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yr7odFUARg

And Hillary is quite correct............

obama is an Arrogant, Lazy, LYING, Willfully INCOMPETENT Son of a Bitch Eater.....

The question is how much better Hillary is with her "What Difference Does It Make" attitude....... :roll:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
monster_gardener

obama Should Keep His Fat RED LINED LYING Mouth Shut......

Doc wrote:

Bill Clinton

Thank You Very MUCH for your post, Azari.

Keep his Fat RED LINED LYING Mouth SHUT starting back to His World Apology Tour continuing through the Arab Spring Break :twisted: Disaster ESPECIALLY about Syria to the present........
All this was a treason done to Ukraine by "Yulia Tymoshenko" ..
Also by the Corrupt Russian Puppet Yanukovych and others........
Obama can do nothing ..
Not true....... He can make the situation worse....... That is his specialty :roll:
America, Europe needs Russia to solve many issues worldwide
IMO True...... :roll:
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:

Bill Clinton

Resign.

This was written Produced and Directed by Putin. It has his finger prints all over it. He took what did not belong to him. There is no doubt about this no matter how much you try to blame the victim.

Russia can go to hell. The US does not need them but rather It needs a competent president.

Obama would resign if there were any better one to lead .. there ain't .. America's issue not Obama but American people .. Americans dream of American exceptionalism
American exceptionalism is the theory that the United States is qualitatively different from other nation states.
Well, Doc, they AIN'T .. and .. the sooner you guys realize this, the less painful will be the adjustment to reality

Russia is a Great Nation .. and .. Putin the most competent Russian president since "Yekaterina Alexeevna"

Question is, who did more damage to America ? ? ? W.Bush/Dick Cheney .. or .. Obama ? ? ? that is the question

Poor Obama is cleaning up after W.Bush/Dick Cheney

Syria ? ? .. seems you guys craving being to the eyeballs into Syrian quicksand by now .. this a civil war, they themselves must fight it out .. mistake West & Obama did was not listening to Ahmadinejat (President of our beloved Persia at that time :lol: ) saying this must be settled diplomatically by different parties talking to each other .. instead you guys were fooled by Wahhabi and Salafi ( your friends) to act otherwise .. well, why the complain ?
monster_gardener

Klowns to the Left, Jokers to the Right. Some are Needed....

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:

Bill Clinton

Resign.

Thank You VERY Much for your post, Doc.
Resign.
Seconded!

Even Biden MAY be Better...... :roll:
This was written Produced and Directed by Putin. It has his finger prints all over it.
Quite Right.

Unlike Arrogant WILLFULLY INCOMPETENT LAZY LYING Son of a Bitch Eater obama, President Prince Vlad the Imprisoner Putin is a Diligently Dangerous Man who tries to advance his nation's interest, while obama, The Creature from the Chicago Lagoon is a Progressive Multi-Polar Idealist Twit if not a de facto traitor to America...
Russia can go to hell.
No.

We are Stuck in the Middle of the Northern Hemisphere/this Planet with them.....*
The US does not need them
We do need them.

We no longer have an operational Manned Space Program for the time being at least... :roll:

We need them on the Iranian question....... Had them till Goofy GOLFTUS obama threw that away :roll:

We need them for cooperation on terrorism..... And need to listen to them when they warn US like they did with the Tsarnev Brothers/Boston Marathon Bombing.... :evil:

And the Euroz need them even more :roll: ...... For oil and especially gas.......
but rather It needs a competent president.
SECONDED!

*DohRa9lsx0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q

xmwp0x_stuck-in-the-middle-with-you-stealers-wheel_music

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmwp0x ... heel_music
Last edited by monster_gardener on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
monster_gardener

Call No Man Happy or Great Until He Is Dead......

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:

Bill Clinton

Resign.

Obama would resign if there were any better one to lead .. there ain't .. America's issue not Obama but American people .. Americans dream of American exceptionalism
American exceptionalism is the theory that the United States is qualitatively different from other nation states.
Well, Doc, they AIN'T .. and .. the sooner you guys realize this, the less painful will be the adjustment to reality

Russia is a Great Nation .. and .. Putin the most competent Russian president since "Yekaterina Alexeevna"

Question is, who did more damage to America ? ? ? W.Bush/Dick Cheney .. or .. Obama ? ? ? that is the question

Syria ? ? .. seems you guys craving being to the eyeballs into Syrian quicksand by now .. this a civil war, they themselves must fight it out .. mistake West & Obama did was not listening to Ahmadinejat (President of our beloved Persia at that time :lol: ) saying this must be settled diplomatically by different parties talking to each other .. instead you guys were fooled by Wahhabi and Salafi ( your friends) to act otherwise .. well, why the complain ?
Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.

Obama would resign if there were any better one to lead
Not true!

IMO he likes having Air Force One as his golf cart too much and Michelle wouldn't get her LATEST Vacation, this time to China :roll:

Now if the Republicans win the Senate in the next election, he might resign to screw his frenemy Billary Clinton by making Biden a sitting President rather than be a Cornered ;) DemocRAT in the Oval Office....
there ain't
Not true.......

Even Joe Biden might be better than Arrogant WILLFULLY INCOMPETENT LAZY LYING Son of a Bitch Eater obama.........
obama the Arrogant WILLFULLY INCOMPETENT LAZY LYING Son of a Bitch Eater.......

And with less excuse...... obama, the Goofy GOLFTUS is supposed to be smart :roll:

Unlike Bush W. W....... :roll:
Not so.......

Making mess MUCH worse with obamaCare scam and his RED LINED LYING Mouth..

Also is not poor.......

Got Nobel Peace Prize..... :lol: :roll: :lol:

Money For Nothing........

Putting America in Dire Straits ;) :lol: :roll:

lAD6Obi7Cag

Well, Doc, they AIN'T ..
Coming from a Beloved Persia Exceptionalist.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Americans are Exceptional.......... First on the Moon....... IIRC Longest with Constitution/Rights.......

Russians are Exceptional....... First in Space and Still There........ :idea:

British are Exceptional... America's Mother Country.........

Chinese are Exceptional......... So much so that they think they are the center of the world.... Literally....

Canadians are Exceptional: Hockey ;-)

Dutch are Exceptional......... Liberty.........

French are Exceptional.... And have been so when it mattered most.....

Germans are often Exceptional :) :twisted: :roll: Lots of science & Godwin ;) ......

Greeks are at times Exceptional :D :roll: Athens..Stranger as you pass here by, tell the Spartan that here we lie...

Indians are Exceptional..... If they are anything like Dilbert's friend Asok ;)

Irish are Exceptional ....... May have saved Western Civilization once.

Israelis are Exceptional........ :idea: G_d's Peculiar ;) People......

Japanese are Exceptional..... Space Program.... May be the Anime Transhuman Future ;) .........

Koreans are Exceptional..... Pretty Good Place in South :D ... Starving Zombie Hell to the North :roll:

Polish have been Exceptional when it mattered most... Gates of Vienna Sept 11, 1632.........

Portuguese are Exceptional....... They Explored.....

Romanians are Exceptional........ They had Vlad first.... ;) :twisted: And Dracula too! :shock:

Spanish are Exceptional........ They Resisted the Muslim invaders........ They Liberated :) / They Conquered :| .....

Even Beloved Persian are Exceptional :D :roll: Cyrus was Great. Khayyam & Bread & Wine ;) too...
Khomeini etc. not so much :roll:

Many/Most Nations are exceptional in their own Peculiar Ways for Better or Worse in their Depraved Sinful Egotistical Ways.......
Russia is a Great Nation ..
Sure....... Though even with nukes & the Space Program it is dicey.......... :shock:

Putin the most competent Russian president since "Yekaterina Alexeevna"
Maybe......

Probably........

But pronounce no man happy/great until he is dead..... Sometimes long dead......

Recalling a man who might have been called the most competent German ever if he had stopped after stealing an Ostrich ;) oops I mean Osterreich/Austria........

Putin is still alive.....

And Murphy is lurking.......

7969cHnSQZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7969cHnSQZ4
Last edited by monster_gardener on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heracleum Persicum

His making such a call wasn't unusual :
Mr. Lavrov often sought instructions from the Kremlin leader.
The Americans were stunned, however, when Mr. Lavrov reported that Mr. Putin had refused to take his call.

Russia's rapid move this week to absorb Crimea came despite breakneck U.S. diplomatic efforts, showing the limits of that approach with Moscow and marking a renewed chill with an expansionist-minded partner still seen as vital to core American interests around the world.

The Obama administration is now left crafting a more confrontational policy toward Mr. Putin, but it remains unclear how far it will go. The inner workings of the Obama administration's diplomatic push, including Mr. Lavrov's phone call, were described by several senior U.S., European and Russian officials who were familiar with the recent negotiations.

Since the crisis over Ukraine erupted last month, the White House gave Secretary of State John Kerry the task of aggressively engaging Mr. Lavrov. But the administration soon concluded that the Soviet-trained bureaucrat wasn't empowered to cut deals on the Kremlin's plans to annex Ukraine's Crimean region.

The White House, sensing its isolation from Mr. Putin, desperately set about to find alternate channels to influence Russia's strongman and to step up Mr. Obama's outreach to him, according to senior U.S. officials.

The moves included establishing back channels with Moscow-friendly foreign leaders. Mr. Obama phoned German Chancellor Angela Merkel multiple times, as well as British Prime Minister David Cameron and French President François Hollande, and reached out to Nursultan Nazerbayev, Kazakhstan's ruler, the White House said. Mr. Kerry has met with Israel's Russian-born foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, at least once, U.S. and Israeli officials said. The efforts didn't seem to have much impact. (Mr. Nazerbayev recognized the Kremlin's annexation of Crimea on Tuesday.)

Mr. Obama in four phone calls with Mr. Putin over the past month totaling 4½ hours also failed to make headway with a leader he had cultivated as a crucial ally in trying to roll back the spread of nuclear weapons and international terrorism.

This dynamic created a growing unease in Washington that Mr. Putin was simply using diplomacy—and Mr. Lavrov—as political cover for moving his forces into Crimea and possibly greater Ukraine. Mr. Lavrov repeatedly assured Mr. Kerry that Russia planned to respect Ukraine's borders.

Kremlin officials have said Russia's diplomatic efforts were genuine. Mr. Lavrov couldn't be reached for comment.

Mr. Obama in recent years has treated the Kremlin as a top U.S. diplomatic partner in addressing national-security challenges despite evidence Mr. Putin was working at cross purposes to U.S. ambitions in many parts of the world.

On Syria, Mr. Kerry and Mr. Lavrov formulated diplomatic tracks aimed at disarming President Bashar al-Assad of his chemical-weapons arsenal and ending the civil war. But two years after the diplomacy started, Mr. Assad has solidified his position in Damascus while Moscow has intensified its arms shipments to the Syrian military, U.S. and Arab officials have said.

On Iran and North Korea, the White House made Russia a central player in its efforts to prevent Tehran and Pyongyang from acquiring nuclear weapons. But the diplomacy has done little to halt the countries' progress. Now, the Obama administration has publicly voiced alarm that Moscow could torpedo current talks with Tehran by agreeing to build new reactors for Iran in a barter exchange for Iranian oil.

Rep. Eric Cantor, the No. 2 Republican in the House, said on Tuesday that Mr. Putin's play for Ukraine shouldn't have surprised the White House, given his track record on such issues as Syria and Iran. He called on Mr. Obama to escalate sanctions and consider military support to Ukraine. "It is past time we reassess our entire strategy towards a nation that poses an increasing threat to international peace and security," he said.

Obama aides said his outreach to Russia over the past five years has been worth it. "It wasn't a failure, because the reset was premised on two things: first, that there were areas where out of mutual self-interest it made sense to cooperate with Russia," said Tony Blinken, Mr. Obama's deputy national security adviser, in an interview. "But, second, there would be areas where we would not cooperate because our differences were too stark, like the issue of spheres of influence, which we reject."

The U.S. position is feeding growing fears in Eastern Europe and the Caucasus region that Washington and the European Union eventually will adapt to a Russian absorption of Crimea, if not Ukraine as a whole.

The White House and State Department have sought out U.S. allies who have more-cordial relations with Mr. Putin. On March 4, Mr. Obama talked to Ms. Merkel for nearly an hour by phone, going over the outlines of a potential resolution to the crisis. He has spoken with her at least twice since then, U.S. officials said, including on Tuesday.

In recent days, senior U.S. officials have begun outlining a confrontational strategy that marks a policy U-turn. Some U.S. officials have described an attempt to freeze Russian banks and companies out of the Western financial system.

Russian officials mocked the impact of the U.S. sanctions, and Mr. Lavrov threatened on Tuesday to retaliate.
Doc

Post by Doc »

What Russia did last time they wanted the Ukraine to submit

wIhixcUEq50
Heracleum Persicum

Snowden appeared as a surprise guest at the Ted (Technology, Entertainment and Design) conference in Vancouver.
Speaking via a robotic screen from an undisclosed location in Russia, the fugitive promised that there are more revelations to come.

He urged tech firms to protect users by encrypting all web pages.

Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee joined him on stage, describing him as a "hero".

Doc, seems, majority of North American, make it world, does not agree with you .. they consider Snowden a THE "New Age Real American Hero"
Heracleum Persicum

" There is also the possibility of passing asymmetrical measures, that means steps which, let's say ... won't go unnoticed in Washington, "

"Moscow would not want to use these talks as an element of raising the diplomatic stakes," he said.

"But if we are forced, we will follow here a path of responsive measures because in the end the historical importance of what has happened in the last days and weeks regarding the ... reunification of Crimea with Russia is incomparable to what we are doing regarding Iran."

Next "muslim" terorist attack in Russia, evidence will be presented Saudi conection .. and .. BANG .. KSA , the Russians are coming

4x14cD3PTXw
Doc

Post by Doc »

Snowden appeared as a surprise guest at the Ted (Technology, Entertainment and Design) conference in Vancouver.
Speaking via a robotic screen from an undisclosed location in Russia, the fugitive promised that there are more revelations to come.

He urged tech firms to protect users by encrypting all web pages.

Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee joined him on stage, describing him as a "hero".

Doc, seems, majority of North American, make it world, does not agree with you .. they consider Snowden a THE "New Age Real American Hero"
The left wing Teddies certainly do but they don't represent most Americans.

But of course superior leftist types support the darnedest things

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... lings.html

How Shaw defended Stalin's mass killings

By Will Bennett, Art Sales Correspondent

12:00AM BST 18 Jun 2003

Stalin's show trials which led to the deaths of millions of people in the Soviet Union during the 1930s were strongly defended by the British author and playwright George Bernard Shaw.

An extraordinary document to be auctioned at Sotheby's in London next month reveals that Shaw continued to defend the Russian leader's excesses despite growing doubts on the political Left in Britain.

Shaw, who became an apologist for Stalin after being invited to visit the Soviet Union in 1931, was sent a typewritten questionnaire about one of the early show trials by the journalist Dorothy Royal.

The author of such works as Major Barbara, Androcles and the Lion and Pygmalion gave brief replies, some of them handwritten, to Miss Royal's questions. It is not known whether they were subsequently published. His replies to the questionnaire, which is expected to fetch £3,000 to £4,000 at Sotheby's on July 10, provide a shocking insight into the naivety of Soviet sympathisers among the British intelligentsia.

Senior communists were arrested after the murder of Sergei Kirov, the Leningrad party chief, in December 1934 and within two months almost 200 had been shot. Tens of thousands of lesser-known people were sent to Siberia although Kirov is thought to have been been killed on Stalin's orders.
Related Articles

Stalin's good old days
05 Mar 2003

Russians remember Stalin
06 Mar 2003

Miss Royal said that leaders of the Independent Labour Party, a Left-wing anti-communist group in Britain, had written to Stalin arguing that either the charges against veteran Bolsheviks were untrue or the Russian Revolution had "degenerate" leaders.

Asked whether he believed that the revolution had "attracted degenerate types", Shaw replied: "On the contrary it has attracted superior types all the world over to an extraordinary extent wherever it has been understood."

He continued: "But the top of the ladder is a very trying place for old revolutionists who have had no administrative experience, who have had no financial experience, who have been trained as penniless hunted fugitives with Karl Marx on the brain and not as statesmen.

"They often have to be pushed off the ladder with a rope around their necks," wrote Shaw, apparently justifying Stalin's execution of many of those who had led the Bolshevik revolution in 1917.

Shaw argued that what he called "this Russian trial" had been exaggerated and he rejected suggestions that the accused had only pleaded guilty because they had been drugged or tortured.

At least 720,000 people were executed in the terror that followed. Millions more died from hunger and ill-treatment in concentration camps.
monster_gardener

Iran as a Sandwich for the Russian Bears........

" There is also the possibility of passing asymmetrical measures, that means steps which, let's say ... won't go unnoticed in Washington, "

"Moscow would not want to use these talks as an element of raising the diplomatic stakes," he said.

"But if we are forced, we will follow here a path of responsive measures because in the end the historical importance of what has happened in the last days and weeks regarding the ... reunification of Crimea with Russia is incomparable to what we are doing regarding Iran."

Next "muslim" terorist attack in Russia, evidence will be presented Saudi conection .. and .. BANG .. KSA , the Russians are coming

4x14cD3PTXw
Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.....
Saudi conection .. and .. BANG .. KSA , the Russians are coming
What is between Russian and Saudi Arabia?

Iraq & Iran........ :idea:

Russians in Sandy ;) oops I mean Saudi Arabia reminds me a little of a Sandwich ;) :twisted: for the Russian Bears........

A fish Sandwich dripping with Oil ;) :twisted: eaten at a restaurant on a Warm Water Port........ ;)

I would like to have cooperation between the US & Russia on things like Space Exploration/Meteor Defense :idea: , Terrorism :evil: , Iran :twisted: ...

But President Prince Vlad the Imprisoner Putin of Russia may be a man best admired from a distance.... :idea:

Especially if one is not a Russian Bear.......... :idea:
Doc

Re: Iran as a Sandwich for the Russian Bears........

Post by Doc »

monster_gardener wrote:

4x14cD3PTXw
Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.....
Saudi conection .. and .. BANG .. KSA , the Russians are coming
What is between Russian and Saudi Arabia?
A speed bump.
Heracleum Persicum

. . suddenly spotted a new shipment of gleaming Russian equipment arriving last fall on an 18-wheeler.
The factory was abuzz.
The Russians were back.

“You see Russia’s interest in Afghanistan rising. It’s visible,” said Stepan Anikeev, the spokesman for the Russian Embassy in Kabul. “We want to enlarge our role in the region. It’s not only for Afghanistan, but for our own goals.”

“The Soviet money went to the right place. They were efficient in spending their money and doing it through the Afghan government,” Karzai said in an interview with The Washington Post this month.

The new warmth between the Kremlin and Afghanistan was visible this week when the Afghan government released a message from Putin marking the Persian new year. It was the only such message made public, and was released at a time when the United States and European governments are imposing sanctions on Russia for its expansion into Ukraine.

“I am certain that friendly ties and cooperation between Russia and Afghanistan in the future will add to the goodness and welfare of our people,” Putin said in the message to Karzai, which was translated into Dari, the local language.

The Russian government has compiled a list of 140 Soviet-era projects that it would like to rehabilitate, according to the embassy. The Kabul Housebuilding Factory, the country’s largest manufacturing facility, was the first to receive assistance last fall: $25 million in new equipment.

A few miles away in Kabul, the Russian government is spending $20 million to renovate the Soviet House of Science and Culture, constructed in 1982. The building, whose jutting angles exemplify Soviet industrial design, was torn apart by bullets and rockets and became crowded with Afghan drug addicts. It is to reopen this fall as the Russian Cultural Center, a beacon for those with interest in Russia.

“We want to expand our culture here,” Anikeev said of the center.

“I hated the Soviets. I fought against them. They killed my father. But this is still the best place to live,” Gen. Labib Raeed said in his apartment in the Microryan, a Soviet-built complex which translates to “housing block” in Russian.

Raeed is an officer in the U.S.-backed Afghan army, but he’s quick to criticize the U.S. development effort — more than $100 billion spent on non-military aid, including roads and schools.

“The Americans were generous to donate so much money, but they gave it to the wrong people,” he said.

The number of students studying Russian at Kabul University has doubled in the past two years. Russia, in turn, has doubled the number of scholarships it offers to Afghan students. The cultural center, when it reopens this fall, will hold a vast library of Russian literature and offer language courses.

Russia has refused to send soldiers to support the NATO mission and has provided limited military aid. Although there is talk of equipping Afghan forces with more Russian-made Kalashnikov assault rifles, that plan has not been finalized and civilian projects remain the focus of the development effort.

“What the Soviets did here was really fundamental. They were thinking about the long term,” said Ahmad, the head engineer of the house-building factory, who like many Afghans uses only one name.

For 30 years, Ahmad has walked past the same inscription every day on his way to the office.

“This factory,” the inscription reads, “was built by the friendly government of the Soviet Union and was presented to the Afghan nation as a gift.” The year “1962” is carved into the stone.

In the 1980s, as Afghanistan’s war with the Soviet Union raged, the word “friendly” stood out as bitterly ironic. Now, with Russia’s promise to return the factory to its days of productivity, the adjective is starting to resonate.

“We don’t differentiate between the Americans and the Russians. Whoever wants to help us,” said Ahmad. “We welcome the Russians back.”

Russians are local, they no foreigners to that region .. people of that region have long history with Russia
Heracleum Persicum

CNN : Could Donetsk go in the same way as Crimea ? .. short answer is, YES

Donetsk, Ukraine (CNN) -- "Donetsk is a Russian city." The chant rang out in the eastern Ukrainian city on Saturday, as thousands of pro-Russia demonstrators rallied beneath a towering statue of Soviet revolutionary Vladimir Lenin in the city's main square.

They waved Russian flags and red flags emblazoned with the iconic image of Argentinian Marxist Che Guevara.

There was not a single Ukrainian flag to be seen.

"They are frightened," said local journalist Denis Kazansky of pro-Ukraine protestors. "They will not come out and demonstrate."

The tribute appeared a lonely site on Saturday as thousands of pro-Russia protesters stood with their backs to it. Their focus turned to a platform beneath the Lenin statue, where men and women took turns making their case for a referendum on the right to self-determination.

Among the demonstrators was Vladimir Kosolapov, a local leader for the Communist Party in Ukraine. He told us that people in this eastern pocket of Ukraine supported the idea of federalism.

"We need more independence from Kiev for our region. Most people here don't think that power in Kiev is legitimate."

In the region, 48% are ethnic Russians and 46% are ethnic Ukrainian. Most speak Russian as their first language and feel closer historic ties to Moscow than Kiev.

"I am a citizen of Ukraine," said Kosolapov. "I have the opportunity to leave Ukraine and go to Russia to my friends and relations but I don't want to go. I will not leave here because this is my home. My family is here. This is my parents' native land."

While those who support the new government in Kiev have only been holding sporadic rallies in Donetsk, pro-Russian demonstrators have a more permanent presence in Lenin Square. They have set up red tents from where they call for volunteers to join self-defense units and invite people to sign a petition and answer three questions.

People queue to have their say beneath the Russian flags.

Do you support a Customs Union? Yes. This is a trade agreement between Russia and some of the former Soviet republics.

Do you want Russian to be an official language? Yes.

Should Ukraine be a member of NATO? No.

The local council had tried to ban any further demonstrations this weekend following the bloodshed on Thursday, but the Donetsk District Court rejected the request, saying there was no evidence of any danger to the public.

Indeed, the rally in Lenin Square was peaceful on Saturday, though the demonstrators did bring traffic to a standstill when they decided to march through the streets and take their protest to the offices of the SBU, the Ukraine Security Services, which is loyal to Kiev.

As riot police stood guard at the building entrance, the demonstrators called for the release of Pavel Gubarev, one of the leaders of the pro-Moscow protest movement who was arrested by the SBU on March 6, for leading a blockade at the regional administration building.

But it won't be an end to the pro-Russian fervor in Donetsk. Police were poised for more of the same with another major rally planned on Sunday in a show of support for the referendum in Crimea.

Many in Donetsk want the same.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/03/22 ... n-donetsk/

The demonstrators voiced support for ousted president, Yanukovych, and backed integration with Russia.

The rally in Donetsk came less than a week after the Ukrainian region of Crimea voted overwhelmingly in a referendum to reunite with Russia.

Addressing the attendees, a speaker said Russian people living in Ukraine do not "live well," and have no opportunity to be "as they want."

Donetsk has been the scene of numerous similar pro-Russia and anti-West rallies in recent days and weeks.

Speaking during the Saturday rally in the industrial city, a demonstrator said all they wanted was the right to have their say.

"Twenty-seven million people in Ukraine consider (US President Barack) Obama to be a tyrant because he supports the new government in Kiev and doesn't let us have democracy," said Sergiy Yazhgunovich, a 30-year-old businessman.

"(Russian) President Vladimir Putin wants democracy, he wants a referendum," he added.

The industrial city is situated close to the Russian border and is considered as a stronghold of ousted president, Yanukovych.

Donetsk’s city council has refused to recognize Ukraine’s new government and called for a referendum on the region’s status.
Heracleum Persicum

John Kerry says his sister used to teach in Iran before Islamic Revolution and speaks Farsi

The US Secretary of State John Kerry has said he was already exposed to Iranian culture through his sister who used to live and teach in Iran before the 1979 Islamic Revolution, IRNA reported.

Speaking to VOA, Kerry also admired his son-in-law who is of Iranian origin.

This is the first time ever the US state secretary publicly talks about Iranian origin of his son-in-law and his sister's experience in Iran.
Heracleum Persicum

BRICS, here we come

Russia to deepen cooperation with BRICS states, in particular, to strengthen its ties with China, which will possibly turn out to be a big catastrophe for the US and the EU some time later.

much more @ link