The sugar trade

This too shall pass.
Apollonius

The sugar trade

Post by Apollonius »

No, this is not another discussion about the history of slavery. There's already a thread about that.

'Sugar daddy' website links struggling students with older partners - CBC News, 28 April 2014
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.2625194

Seeking Arrangement links post-secondary students with partners willing to help pay bills

Some Canadian university and college students are paying their way through school with the help of a website featuring "sugar daddies" willing to help pay their bills and loans in exchange for dates.

Seeking Arrangement touts itself as "Canada's No. 1 sugar daddy dating website" and claims to have 130,000 Canadian members who declare themselves as students or graduates trying to pay off their post-secondary debts.

The website involves "sugar babies" making agreements with interested older "sugar daddies" or "sugar mommies."

An estimated 6,200 of the site's student members are from Manitoba, including a 23-year-old Winnipeg college student who says it linked her with a married man in his 40s who gives her $300 every time they go on a date.

They meet once a week or once every two weeks, she said, adding that some of their dates have been private but many are in public.

"There's places we can go that, like, a 24-year-old guy can't afford," she said in an interview.

"It's just nice to be treated to something different and to feel like you're a princess."

CBC News has agreed to identify the woman as Kelly — not her real name — and not show her face.

Kelly said she was asked by Seeking Arrangement if she wanted to talk to CBC News about her experience, but she said she was not offered any remuneration by the company.

She said she agreed to be interviewed because she believes the website is a good option for other students who are struggling financially.

"I pay for my tuition myself. I took out a student line of credit. My mom is not able to help me at all. My dad helps sometimes, but he also isn't really able to help me," she explained.

"I worked really hard this summer — like, two jobs. I was working like 8:30 to 4:30 and then I was working five to midnight all summer, so that I could save up money for school."

'Wasn't going to sugar-coat it'

Kelly said she learned about the website on the American TV show Dr. Phil, but she didn't think much about it until her boyfriend — a man close to her own age — broke up with her in February.

Forced to start over financially while juggling schoolwork, she went to the website and created a profile.

As part of her profile, she had to include a photograph of herself and state her expectations, including how much financial support she'd want from a prospective partner.

"I put down that I was looking for somebody that I could have fun with … somebody that I could find a connection with, but also somebody who is also able to help me out a little bit when I needed it," she said.

" wasn't going to sugar-coat it. I'm not going to be like, 'Oh, I'm looking for fun and nothing.' It's like I'm on this because I need a little bit of support. And the guys on there know that, too, and they want to help you."

Kelly said she listed her monetary expectations as "negotiable."

Other students on Seeking Arrangement have requested amounts ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 from their sugar daddies, in exchange for other mutually agreed-upon expectations.

"Most sugar babies are very optimistic in their lists of what kind of allowances and things they want. Most of the guys on the site aren't going to be forking over $3,000 a month to a sugar baby," Brook Urick, a spokesperson for Seeking Arrangement and its sister websites, told CBC News.

"But there are the girls that, you know, need to pay for college, and they meet someone on the site who's willing to sponsor them and finance that, and they're graduating debt-free."

Urick said the website has far more people seeking financial support than members wanting to provide support. The average age of someone seeking a "sugar daddy" is 26, she added.

The company offers free premium memberships to members who can prove they are a student, while a "sugar daddy" pays a standard membership of about $60 a month, she added.

Manitoba professor shocked

Marian Morry, a psychology professor at the University of Manitoba, said she was shocked to learn some students at the university are seeking sugar daddies.

"The fact that these are men claiming they have lots of money and willing to pay for a date — young women really do have to question what these men are about," she said.

Urick said Seeking Arrangement is about "mutually beneficial" relationships.

"Basically it's about meeting one another's needs. So the guys on the site are generous, successful businessmen and they don't want to be texting for 24 hours a day and messaging back and forth forever. They just want to have a nice dinner with a nice girl and make it happen quickly," Urick said.

At the same time, she said, "Everyone's always thinking it's some kind of, like, 'pay for play' exchange, and that's definitely not the case. These are romantic relationships, and people are getting involved on an emotional level."

When asked if sex is an expectation during her dates, Kelly replied, "It's not an expectation. It's all about having a connection."

Kelly said she has not told her parents about the website.
Typhoon

Re: The sugar trade

Post by Typhoon »

Sounds like the Western version of "enjou kosai" meaning "compensated dating"
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Excellent post Apollonius!

Viva La Free Market!

Just like every other voluntary transaction, if both parties do not think they are getting a good deal for their money or services, the deal does not happen!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote:No, this is not another discussion about the history of slavery. There's already a thread about that.

'Sugar daddy' website links struggling students with older partners - CBC News, 28 April 2014
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.2625194
I wonder if Mr. Perfect, Endovelico, Manolo, or Paradite would be willing to be my Sugar Daddy?

I'll wash windows, cut grass, clean out gutters, clean chain lube off motorcycle rear wheels, and repair roofs.

No apple or doorknob polishing........
Doc

Post by Doc »

Marian Morry, a psychology professor at the University of Manitoba, said she was shocked to learn some students at the university are seeking sugar daddies.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Image

But I suppose MS. Morry might have grown up in a convent. Personally I grew up in a college town and the above is one of the most naive(at best) statements I think I have ever seen. :roll:

I mean I know of college students that are outright prostitutes and strippers. From what I have seen they graduate from college are pretty high rates without typical $50,000 in debt to pay off.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:

But I suppose MS. Morry might have grown up in a convent. Personally I grew up in a college town and the above is one of the most naive(at best) statements I think I have ever seen. :roll:

I mean I know of college students that are outright prostitutes and strippers. From what I have seen they graduate from college are pretty high rates without typical $50,000 in debt to pay off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM

One of the sharpest people I ever worked with was union millwright at GM in Tonawanda NY. We got to be close friends. He had a doctorate degree and used to teach philosophy at a local college until he found out he brother inlaw was making three times his salary as a UAW janitor.

He liked to say "I no longer have to wait for class to teach philosophy, now I get to teach philosophy all day long!"
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Gay Sugar Daddy Ponzi Scheme Scamster in TN....

Post by monster_gardener »

Doc wrote:

Thank You VERY Much for your post, Doc.

Recalling a Ponzi Scheme Scamster in Tennessee who did a Gay/Homosexual version of Sugar Daddy in addition to donating to many charities such as the Country Music Hall of Fame before being caught.....

Perp shot himself before going to prison.......

Did a LOT of damage.......

Charities had to pay back when he had given them.......... Was VERY Hard to do........

Not sure what happened to the Sugar Boyz.......

Hope they didn't get HIV with their Financial AIDS :twisted: :shock:

see page 2.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/10/us/10 ... yt&emc=rss

This link is not as explicit as the TV program was........

Even it was coy ;) :twisted: :roll:

Said that it was a mystery why the perp was spending so much money and time with all these young men......

Taking them out to dinner/on dates etc....... ;) :twisted: :lol: :roll:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:

But I suppose MS. Morry might have grown up in a convent.
Indeed.
Doc wrote:Personally I grew up in a college town and the above is one of the most naive(at best) statements I think I have ever seen. :roll:

Kyabakura or hostess bars, which unlike KTV in other parts of Asia do not involve sex but provide conversation, charge according to the education level of the girls working there.

So hostess bars staffed with girls from Tokyo U, Waseda U, Keio U, Kyoto U, etc. charge top yen.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.