Satanists suck

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
YMix

Satanists suck

Post by YMix »

A new religious group aims to bring the devil to Detroit.

The Satanic Temple today marks the launch of its first chapter outside New York. But leaders say they don’t worship Satan. They don’t practice cannibalism, or sacrifice people or animals.

“It’s peaceful,” said Jex Blackmore, 32, local leader and part of the temple’s executive ministry. “The idea of sacrifice specifically is to appease some demon or some god, and that’s a supernatural belief that we don’t subscribe to.”

The group’s tenets include free will, compassion toward all creatures, respect of others’ freedom — including freedom to offend — and beliefs supported by scientific understanding: “We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs,” according to the Satanic Temple’s website.

[...]
Well, why bother then? I am disappointed. :evil:
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Satanists suck

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Bringing the devil to Detroit is like carrying coals to Newcastle.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
A new religious group aims to bring the devil to Detroit.

The Satanic Temple today marks the launch of its first chapter outside New York. But leaders say they don’t worship Satan. They don’t practice cannibalism, or sacrifice people or animals.

“It’s peaceful,” said Jex Blackmore, 32, local leader and part of the temple’s executive ministry. “The idea of sacrifice specifically is to appease some demon or some god, and that’s a supernatural belief that we don’t subscribe to.”

The group’s tenets include free will, compassion toward all creatures, respect of others’ freedomincluding freedom to offend — and beliefs supported by scientific understanding: [b]“We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs,”
according to the Satanic Temple’s website.[/b]

[...]
I propose we turn over the UN and the IPCC to the Satanists

Oh crap, I may be one of them.
noddy

Post by noddy »

haha, i imagined a kind of pseudo feral upper middle class kid, probably with tats, dredds and peircings and a doctor for a daddy, upon clicking my prejudices where indulged.

i wonder what would happen if they bumped into a proper libertine loon like de sade.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:haha, i imagined a kind of pseudo feral upper middle class kid, probably with tats, dredds and peircings and a doctor for a daddy, upon clicking my prejudices where indulged.

i wonder what would happen if they bumped into a proper libertine loon like de sade.
They'd probably get their asses whipped . . . :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:haha, i imagined a kind of pseudo feral upper middle class kid, probably with tats, dredds and peircings and a doctor for a daddy, upon clicking my prejudices where indulged.
hopeFgwApCM
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Enki

Post by Enki »

I don't even understand why they take the moniker of "Satanist", if they are just going to be middle of the road Humanists.

Maybe if I ever crack I'll go introduce them to a proper dark lord.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I like the black suit and red tie. And Detroit really has gone to hell, so they have something there.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

Can a burgeoning satanic movement actually effect political change?

[...]

Many TST members and allies I spoke to described strict Christian upbringings. In Blackmore’s assessment, progressive cities like Austin are paradoxically the most apathetic about resisting the Christian Right because people in progressive cities feel they are unaffected by religion-influenced laws. Blackmore saw “The Witch” as an opportunity to get more people involved and hasten their political revolution.

But Jonathan pointed out that this dialectic can swing both ways: revolution begets counterrevolution. For example, in the 1970s, the New Christian Right formed, in part, as a response to the perceived excesses of the 1960s.

Likewise, there is a risk that an openly satanic presence in American politics will energize the very forces TST opposes. Right wing news sites such as Breitbart.com and LifeSiteNews have given TST heavy coverage precisely because their rhetoric can be used as fodder for antiabortion activists.

Conservative voices have claimed TST “proves” what they have said all along – that God is with them and their political opponents are literally demonic.

In many ways, TST is the heir to the “New Left” of the 1960s and such figures as Abbie Hoffman and Allen Ginsberg. Events like the “exorcism” of the Pentagon in 1967 demonstrated an understanding of ritual and semiotics: the strategic use of religious symbols could change what the Pentagon represented to the public.

[...]
An interesting point of view.