Thread proliferation

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Mr. Perfect

Thread proliferation

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I think it would be interesting to revisit the issue.

I'm not a fan of monothreads, but I am also not a fan of multiple threads that get zero or one response. For example sometimes a poll is worthy of it's own thread and often it is not. Eg II I think that there needs to be more than one obama thread but obviously not infinite obama threads.

I don't think this forum is drowning in threads. Rather, it doesn't have enough activity of any kind. I am sympathetic to the monothread people, but it seems overdone and monothreads IMV actually diminish a topic a lot of the time. There are many aspects to a Presidency for example so there should be multiple threads on obama.

IIRC Doc deluged us with obamacare threads which induced an understandable backlash, but I think he was trying to make a point at the time and nobody really wants that or has done that as a matter of course.

So just interested in people's thoughts.
Censorship isn't necessary
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Thread proliferation

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing. Is this really a pressing concern?

If I had to choose a side, I'd want to keep more of a monothread flavor- too many threads on a similar topic destroys any conversation and is wearisome.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Just keep in mind we already have a monothread policy and we are revving at low rpms. When I leave it goes almost all dead. Just saying we should look seriously at it.

It's pressing for me because there are a number of issues going on that I think deserve at least 2 or 3 threads that I would like to start, but not 10. It gets aggravating to get deleted/merged all the time, so since this is supposedly more of a housekeeping issue than editorializing I would like to reassess where everyone is.

For me when things go monothread I really reduce posting on the issue most of the time. Sometime it's pretty good, and handy way to file all the information on that topic.

Some topics are too big though IMV.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

See how it grows....

Post by monster_gardener »

Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Mr. Perfect.

Perhaps post a disclaimer for the moderators at the beginning of a sub-topical thread, that it can be merged without protest but asking that it be left up for a time to see how it grows....

If it grows and keeps growing, it deserves to be a separate thread...

IIRC I have done this occasionally here or elsewhere....

The key probably is moderation.... Not too many at the same time....

Both to help the Moderators and allow the sub-topic thread to grow.... So many threads.... So little time...

Sort of like planting seeds if you don't want to have to thin a lot of them out...

NOTE to Moderators: feel free to merge, delete or criticize this post if you feel it is a bad idea...
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

An excess of hot-topic threads does makes both keeping track of the discussion and moderation difficult.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Some threads are much smarter than others...
Attachments
Dilbert_two.JPG
Dilbert_two.JPG (33.03 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:An excess of hot-topic threads does makes both keeping track of the discussion and moderation difficult.
I agree with that, what I am proposing though is that there could be say 3 obama threads instead of 1, for example, him being President of the United States.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote:An excess of hot-topic threads does makes both keeping track of the discussion and moderation difficult.
I agree with that, what I am proposing though is that there could be say 3 obama threads instead of 1, for example, him being President of the United States.
I dunno It is Obama after all. His relative importance is ever shrinking.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yeah, it's not about obama. I could make a list if necessary, hopefully I don't have to do that.