Extremism and Islam Down Under

Doc

Extremism and Islam Down Under

Post by Doc »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -live.html
'Islamists' take 20 hostages in Sydney cafe siege: live

Follow the latest developments after gunmen take hostages and display a black flag with an Islamic message at Martin Place in Sydney
islamofascissttorture.jpg
islamofascissttorture.jpg (85.55 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
Flag with Islamic writing on visible in window of Lindt cafe in Martin Place, Sydney

Flag with Arabic writing on visible in window of Lindt cafe in Martin Place, Sydney

Armed police at the siege in Sydney

By Jonathan Pearlman, Sydney, David Millward and Rosa Silverman

12:47AM GMT 15 Dec 2014

Latest

00.49 Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott says he has convened the National Security Committee for emergency briefings.

"This is obviously a deeply concerning incident but all Australians should be reassured that our law enforcement and security agencies are well trained and equipped and are responding in a thorough and professional manner," the prime minister's office says in a statement.
00.46 A police spokesman says no injuries have been reported.

00.43 The person behind the siege has reportedly claimed he wants to speak to Tony Abbott, Australia’s prime minister, live on radio.

He reportedly told police negotiators he had “devices all over the city”.

Man seen through window in Sydney ( 7 News)

Reports suggest there are between 13 and 40 people inside the café.

00.41 Rob Crilly, the Telegraph's Pakistan Correspondent, sheds some light on the meaning of the flag:

"There's a lot of discussion about the nature of the flag hanging in the coffeeshop window. It represents the Shahada, an Islamic creed which reads: “There is no god but the God, Mohammed is the messenger of God”. However, putting it on a black background some suggest it has been appropriated as an Islamist symbol."

00.34 Dozens of police including a SWAT team are there and a couple of hundred people are being held back by cordons.

Trains and buses have been stopped and roads are blocked in the area. Train operators are saying there has been a bomb threat at Martin Place.

00.29 New South Wales state police are not saying what is happening inside the Lindt Chocolat Cafe or whether hostages were being held. But television footage shot through the cafe's windows shows several people with their arms in the air and hands pressed against the glass.

00.26 Australian police say they are also responding to an "incident" at Sydney Opera House. The Opera House was evacuated after a suspicious package was found, television channels are reporting.

00.15 Jonathan Pearlman sets the scene where the siege is taking place. "As any visitor to Sydney would know, Martin Place – the site of the siege – is effectively the heart of Sydney.

Armed police at the siege in Sydney (Pixel8000)

"The pedestrian mall is lined with stately nineteenth century buildings: it is bookended by the state parliament building at the top of the mall and the general post office at the bottom. It houses the offices of the state’s central bank, as well as two of the nation’s biggest financial institutions: Commonwealth Bank, one of the biggest banks in the world, and Macquarie Bank.

"The Lindt café, about half-way down the mall, has only been open about a decade but has become something of an institution. The café is directly opposite from the offices of the Channel Seven television station, whose reporters were shocked to see the siege unfold before them this morning.

00.05 Twenty hostages have been taken by gunmen – apparently Islamic extremists - at a popular café in Martin Place, the heart of Sydney.

The siege began at the Lindt chocolate shop café at about 9.45am, local time, and has brought the city to a standstill.

Horrifying images have emerged showing hostages holding up a black flag with Arabic writing against the café window which looks out across the busy pedestrian mall in the centre of Sydney’s central business district.

Police surround the cafe (Pixel8000)

Heavily armed police – some with guns drawn – have surrounded the cafe. Rail and services have been suspended and surrounding streets have been closed.

Police have asked the public to stay away from Martin Place, home to the offices of the nation’s Reserve Bank and some of Australia’s largest companies.

Earlier in the morning, police apparently arrested a man after a counterrorism raid in a Sydney suburb.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Re: Islamists torture Sydney

Post by noddy »

a mad iranian who previously murdered his wife but they didnt have enough evidence.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-dept ... 7157547335
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:a mad iranian who previously murdered his wife but they didnt have enough evidence.

and several charges of sexual assault.

I get home from last night and the talking heads make it sound like Sydney was in flames. I thought a bomb was dropped or something, and then my second thought after finding out it's a hostage situation was, "Why is this a story in American media?"
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Very Glad that you are OK. Re: Islamists torture Sydney

Post by monster_gardener »

noddy wrote:a mad iranian who previously murdered his wife but they didnt have enough evidence.

Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Noddy

Very Glad that you and Neverfail are OK.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Doc

Post by Doc »

By all accounts this guy was indeed mad. Which made him a prime candidate for a lone wolf recruit for the Islamists. You can bet they are celebrating this "glorious" attack against the infidels.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Iran had repeatedly informed the Australian government about the criminal record of the man in Iran.

The hostage taker had moved to Australia 18 years ago from Iran and was accepted by the Australian government as a political asylum-seeker, according to reports.

Rahimpour said the man had divorced his first wife in Iran, leaving her with two children before migrating to Australia where he has been accused of being accessory to the killing of his second wife along with many other sexual abuse charges.

“He had been used when he was a Shia, in a clerical outfit and was acting against us and now it is very clear that the fact that he was a refugee, Iranian and Muslim would be used for negative propaganda against our country in line with their own agendas," he added.

Iran's Foreign Ministry on Monday vehemently condemned the hostage-taking in Australia’s most populous city of Sydney.

“Resorting to inhumane methods and creating terror and panic in the name of the divine religion of Islam is not justifiable under any circumstances,” Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said.

She noted that the Australian police had been fully aware of the psychological conditions of the hostage taker.

Australian government knew this guy since many many yrs .. Iranian government warned Australia about this man .. but, as long as he was agitating against Iran, it was OK .. despite him killing his 2nd wife in Australia and all the sexual abuses Australian government did do nothing as he was "useful" for PR against Iran

and, now this

noddy

Post by noddy »

im not sure id put that spin on it azari.

all the decent (tm) countries take in refugees and asylum seekers, iran does it, we do it, and that means sometimes you get innocents and sometimes you get loony assholes, you cant get it perfect.

you are quite right that iran warned us about him but we cant take someone in and then throw them in prison and we cant restrict the movements of a free person.

this however isnt the interesting bit or the scary bit - the scary bit is how our media reacts and demands something to be done and then what the politicians do

mg:

thanks for the concern, if sydney is new york then i live in arizona/southern california, it would be hard for me to be furthur away from it than i am - in europe id be 4 or 5 countries away :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: mg:

thanks for the concern, if sydney is new york then i live in arizona/southern california, it would be hard for me to be furthur away from it than i am - in europe id be 4 or 5 countries away :)
noddy,

take that distance and cube it, and that is how far away I am from the America many on this forum describe. It is a nice buffer. :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:

By all accounts this guy was indeed mad. Which made him a prime candidate for a lone wolf recruit for the Islamists. You can bet they are celebrating this "glorious" attack against the infidels.
Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be simply explained by insanity.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

What? Islamic Militants have been encouraging the mentally ill and mentally retarded to commit acts of terrorism for years. Back when the US was more heavily involved in Iraq there were mental retarded suicide bombers coming from Saudi Arabia.
Mentally Retarded Bombers Kill Scores in Baghdad

By STEVEN R. HURST, Associated Press | February 1, 2008
http://www.jihadwatch.org/2008/10/iraq- ... ide-bomber
Iraq: “Al-Qaeda is targeting orphans, street children and mentally disabled children as suicide bomber recruits as well as women”
http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/secur ... in-diyala/
Security forces arrest mongoloid suicide bomber in Diyala

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/mentally-r ... dad/70631/
BAGHDAD — Two mentally retarded women strapped with remote-control explosives — and possibly used as unwitting suicide bombers — brought carnage yesterday to two pet bazaars, killing at least 73 people in the deadliest day since Washington flooded the capital with extra troops last spring.

Maybe I should clarify that Radical Islamists encourage mentally ill to act in general through propaganda as well. But even with 911 and other sanctioned Al Qaeda attacks those still alive have certainly shown they were missing something upstairs. Reid the shoe bomber. Hassan the fort hood shooter. Moussaoui the 20th hijacker etc.. Not to mention the depravity many members of ISIS have shown.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/12/ ... r-attacks/
Can Identifying Mental Illness Stop Terror Attacks?

December 15, 2014 9:37 PM

LONDON (AP) — A radical Muslim killed a soldier outside Canada’s Parliament. A right-wing extremist opened fire on buildings in Texas’ capital and tried to burn down the Mexican Consulate. An Al-Qaida-inspired assailant hacked an off-duty soldier to death in London.

Police said all three were terrorists and motivated by ideology. Authorities and family members said they may have been mentally ill. A growing body of research suggests they might well have been both.

New studies have challenged several decades of thinking that psychological problems are only a minor factor in the making of terrorists. The research has instead found a significant link between mental problems and “lone wolf” terrorism.

Now academics and law enforcement officials are working to turn that research into tools to prevent deadly attacks.

“It’s never an either-or in terms of ideology versus mental illness,” said Ramon Spaaij, a sociologist at Australia’s Victoria University who conducted a major study, funded by the U.S. Justice Department, of lone wolf extremists. “It’s a dangerous cocktail.”

The study preceded Tuesday’s end to a deadly, 16-hour siege involving a gunman who took hostages in a cafe in Sydney. Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the gunman — Iranian-born Man Haron Monis — had “a long history of violent crime, infatuation with extremism and mental instability.”

With groups like Islamic State spreading violence in Syria and Iraq — and bloodthirsty rhetoric on the Internet — authorities around the world have issued increasingly insistent warnings about the threat posed by lone wolf attackers.

They can be difficult to stop with a counterterrorism strategy geared toward intercepting communications and disrupting plots.

Solo terrorism “doesn’t take an awful lot of organizing. It doesn’t take too many people to conspire together. There’s no great complexity to it,” London Police Chief Bernard Hogan-Howe told the BBC recently. “So what that means is that we have a very short time to interdict, to actually intervene and make sure that these people don’t get away with it.”

Police forces and intelligence agencies are examining whether insights from research by Spaaij and others could help.

Spaaij said a number of law enforcement and intelligence agencies have shown interest in his work. In Britain, a police counterterrorism unit is using a major study of lone wolf terrorists to develop risk-assessment analysis.

A British security official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to talk on the record said many attackers display warning signs, but that recognizing them is easier in retrospect. He said British intelligence officials are studying the link between mental illness and lone-actor terrorism.

Most people with mental health problems are neither terrorists nor violent, and mental illness alone can’t explain lone wolf attackers. Some experts dispute whether there is a link at all.

After Michael Zehaf-Bibeau’s deadly attack on a soldier Oct. 22 in Ottawa, Jocelyn Belanger, a psychology professor at the University of Quebec at Montreal, told the Canadian Senate’s national security committee that “to believe that radicalized individuals are crazy or not playing with a full deck will be our first mistake in developing effective counterterrorism strategies.”

But the new research suggests that solo terrorists are much more likely to have mental health problems than either members of the general public or participants in group terrorism.

Spaaij and Mark Hamm of Indiana State University studied 98 lone wolf attackers in the U.S. They found that 40 percent had identifiable mental health problems, compared with 1.5 percent in the general population.

Their conclusion? Mental illness is not the only factor that drives individuals to commit terrorist acts, but it is one of the factors.

Spaaj said mental illness can play a part “in shaping particular belief systems and in constructing the enemy, externalizing blame for one’s own failure or grievances onto this all-threatening enemy.”

A second study by Paul Gill and Emily Corner of University College London looked at 119 lone wolf attackers and a similar number of members of violent extremist groups in the U.S. and Europe. Almost a third of the lone wolves — nearly 32 percent — had been diagnosed with a mental illness, while only 3.4 percent of terrorist group members were mentally ill.

“Group-based terrorists are psychologically quite normal,” the researchers said. They said one reason may be that terrorist recruiters are likely to reject candidates who appear erratic or mentally ill.

Mental illness could make lone wolf attacks easier to foresee: Gill said 60 percent of the attackers he studied leaked details of their plans, sometimes telling friends or family.

He and Corner are working with a British counterterrorism unit as police try to develop ways of distinguishing genuine threats from hot-headed talk. The unit declined to discuss the project, but recent cases suggest determining who really is a threat is fraught with difficulty.

More than a year before he hacked a soldier to death in London in 2013, Michael Adebowale’s online extremism drew the attention of Britain’s intelligence services.

Domestic intelligence agency MI5 told a parliamentary inquiry into the murder that it uses a range of factors to assess the threat from potential lone wolves, including an inability to cope with stress and anxiety, social isolation and mental health problems.

MI5 agents suggested that Adebowale — who is now serving a life sentence in a psychiatric hospital — be assessed by the agency’s Behavioral Science Unit, a team of psychologists and social scientists, but the assessment was never done. The lawmakers’ report called that a missed opportunity, and recommended that “MI5 should ensure that the unit’s advice is integrated more thoroughly into investigations.”

Signals also were misread in the case of Nicky Reilly, a 22-year-old convert to Islam who walked into a restaurant in the English town of Exeter in 2008 with a homemade bomb. The device went off in the restroom, injuring Reilly and no one else.

At his trial, jurors were told that Reilly had learning difficulties and had had many years of contact with mental health services. In 2003, he talked to a psychiatrist about making a bomb. The information was passed on to the police, who judged that Reilly wasn’t a serious threat.

American authorities, in contrast, have been accused of being too aggressive in pursuit of lone attackers. The FBI has foiled several alleged attacks through sting operations in which agents posed as terror supporters, supplying advice and equipment. Critics say the strategy can amount to entrapment of mentally vulnerable people who wouldn’t have the wherewithal to act alone.

Meanwhile, the fundamental question of whether there is a link between mental health problems and terrorism remains controversial.

The most lethal lone-wolf attacker in recent years was anti-Muslim extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a bombing and gun rampage in Norway in 2011. Breivik was unrepentant. One psychiatric report found him to be insane, while a second concluded that he was sane — and judges agreed, sending him to prison indefinitely.

The killer was happy with the outcome. For Breivik, it was recognition that his views were legitimate and not those of a madman.
Last edited by Doc on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

this, cubed.

:)
Doc

Post by Doc »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

this, cubed.

:)
Sorry but I did not I REPEAT I DID NOT attribute this to any particular conspiracy. I gave numerous links to specifically what I was talking about as well. Please read more carefuIlly next time.
noddy

Re: Extremist - Islamist tortures Sydney

Post by noddy »

Teacher Arrested At Sydney International Airport

A high school teacher was arrested today at Sydney’s Kingsford-Smith International airport
as he attempted to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a compass,
a slide-rule and a calculator.
At the press conference, the Attorney General said he believes the man is a member of the
notorious extremist Al-Gebra movement.

He did not identify the man, who has been charged by the AFP with carrying
weapons of maths instruction.
'Al-Gebra is a problem for us', the Attorney General said. 'They derive solutions by means
and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in search of absolute values.'
They use secret code names like "X" and "Y" and refer to themselves as "unknowns;"
but we have determined that they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval
with coordinates in every country.
As the Greek philosopher Isosceles used to say, "There are three sides to every triangle."
When asked to comment on the arrest, the Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, said,
"If God had wanted us to have better weapons of maths instruction, He would have
given us more fingers and toes."
Fellow Liberal colleagues told reporters they could not recall a more intelligent
or profound statement by the Prime Minister.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

A high school teacher was arrested today at Sydney’s Kingsford-Smith International airport
as he attempted to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a compass,
At the press conference, the Attorney General said he believes the man is a member of the

'Al-Gebra is a problem for us', the Attorney General said. 'They derive solutions by means
They use secret code names like "X" and "Y" and refer to themselves as "unknowns;"
but we have determined that they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval
As the Greek philosopher Isosceles used to say, "There are three sides to every triangle."
"If God had wanted us to have better weapons of maths instruction, He would have
Fellow Liberal colleagues told reporters they could not recall a more intelligent
:lol:

Outstanding work! tis always those who fancy themselves intellectuals who are a threat to the existing power structure....

Trouble makers one and all!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:

Brilliant.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Re: Extremism and Islam Down Under

Post by Parodite »

Indeed it is not strange that insane people get hooked on these type of things like the Islamism of IS. The Koran is full of psychotic delusional writing; it is a language that many insane people easily understand and experience as "natural".

The violent hateful parts in the Koran will unfortunately always find some easy hosts in the pool of very angry, frustrated people with mental disorders like psychosis, sociopathy, psychopathy, borderliners, bipolars, delusional paranoia, ptsd... and turn them into beasts.

In similar fashion and to be fair... in a sect like Jehovah's witnesses the number of people with the asperger syndrome (spectrum autism) is 7x the average.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

What is wrong with you Antipodeans?

Bored with dealing with your own refugees?

Now you're exporting your skills?
noddy

Post by noddy »

a commentator came up with #StopTheCroats

(our anti refugee policy is usually called #StopTheBoats)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

It's not just the Islamists down under,

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/1 ... ur-dispute

evidently even the Rose-icrucians are acting up.... ah well, 47 year is long enough to carry a grudge, it's high time to do something!

Love the quote "I don't feel safe." When roses are outlawed..... only the Alt-right will have roses!
noddy

Post by noddy »

rosamists are a deadly cult, they spread the rotten flesh and faeces of their victims over garden beds as a tribute to their bloody thirsty god.

the only thing worse is gerber-braists.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

talk about working under cover and taking one for the team......