Drug Culture News | The Great Binge

This too shall pass.
Apollonius

Re: Drug Culture News - Marijuana and More

Post by Apollonius »

Olympic snowboarder Ross Rebagliati to brand medical marijuana - CBC News, 16 July 2014
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/olympic ... -1.2709085

B.C.'s Ross' Gold, a budding startup, hopes to get involved in pot distribution across Canada

Ross Rebagliati, the Canadian Olympic champion snowboarder, is bringing his name and brand to the marijuana industry.
The 42-year-old is founder of Ross’ Gold, a budding Vancouver startup which will seek to license a brand system and a consistent distribution process for medical marijuana through a distribution partner in Ontario.

Rebagliati is betting Canadians will remember his story – his first-place snowboard win in Nagano, Japan; being stripped of his gold medal after testing positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana; and having the medal restored after it turned out the drug was not among those banned by the Olymic committee
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

After decades of determined resistance to the reform of laws relating to marijuana, the editorial board of the New York Times has made a dramatic turn-around:

New York Times calls for marijuana legalization

Repeal Prohibition again - New York Times, 27 July 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014 ... ation.html

It took 13 years for the United States to come to its senses and end Prohibition, 13 years in which people kept drinking, otherwise law-abiding citizens became criminals and crime syndicates arose and flourished. It has been more than 40 years since Congress passed the current ban on marijuana, inflicting great harm on society just to prohibit a substance far less dangerous than alcohol.

The federal government should repeal the ban on marijuana.

We reached that conclusion after a great deal of discussion among the members of The Times’s Editorial Board, inspired by a rapidly growing movement among the states to reform marijuana laws.

There are no perfect answers to people’s legitimate concerns about marijuana use. But neither are there such answers about tobacco or alcohol, and we believe that on every level — health effects, the impact on society and law-and-order issues — the balance falls squarely on the side of national legalization. That will put decisions on whether to allow recreational or medicinal production and use where it belongs — at the state level. ...
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Decriminalize cocaine and psychedelics, global group urges - Kathleen Harris, CBC News, 9 September 2014
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/decrimi ... -1.2760261

Commission of ex-world leaders, activists claims more human approach would be fiscally prudent

Governments around the world should move beyond marijuana and legally regulate all drugs, including psychedelics, cocaine and heroin, a group of former world leaders and activists says in a report.

In its third report, being released Tuesday in New York, the Global Commission on Drug Policy repeats its past calls to end jail time for drug possession. But now the high-profile group recommends that governments take control by regulating the legal use of all drugs — a groundbreaking move it says could curb drug-related violence, improve public health and reap economic benefits.

The panel of commissioners behind the latest report, called "Taking Control: Pathways to Drug Policies That Work," includes:

- Louise Arbour, a former justice at the Supreme Court of Canada and former UN high commissioner for human rights.

- Former presidents of Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal and Switzerland.

- Paul Volcker, former U.S. Federal Reserve chair.

- Richard Branson, British entrepreneur and Virgin Group founder

Branson said governments can't go on "pretending" that the war on drugs is working.

"We need our leaders to look at alternative, fact-based approaches. Much can be learned from successes and failures in regulating alcohol, tobacco, or pharmaceutical drugs," he said in a statement. "The risks associated with drug use increase, sometimes dramatically, when they are produced, sold and consumed in an unregulated criminal environment. The most effective way to advance the goals of public health and safety is to get drugs under control through responsible legal regulation."

Dr. Evan Wood, a University of British Columbia drug policy expert who worked as special adviser for the report, said the drug policy climate is evolving rapidly — from declaring a war on drugs, through enforcement, to waging an economic war on drugs by taxing and regulating, an approach that also reduces the associated violence and health risks.

Public health advocates across Canada have released reports with similar findings and recommendations, he said.

"The well-intentioned effort to criminalize the production, sale and use of these substances has not achieved the expected impact in terms of suppressing their availability and use," Wood told CBC News. "The traditional argument that we flip to another scenario where they're advertised and promoted and sold to children is a little bit disingenuous … there's probably a middle ground around the taxation and regulation of these substances that really implies the ability to improve public health and safety through their regulation and control."

Wood said while Canada does not have the same scale of drug-related gangs and violence as Latin American countries, some urban centres are struggling with the same problems fuelled by lucrative economies. Prohibition and mandatory minimum sentences have the adverse effect of creating illicit markets that increase public health and safety problems.

“Hopefully this will contribute to the broadening of the conversation that we need to be more thoughtful about this problem. Promising to crack down is good politics, but it’s actually not good policy,” he said.

While it won’t likely become a ballot box question, Wood expects legalizing marijuana and other drug policies will be issues in the next campaign.

UN drug policy review coming in 2016

The commission's report comes in advance of a major review of drug policies by the UN General Assembly scheduled for 2016. The commission hopes its recommendations will reshape the debate on global drug policy.

"Harsh measures grounded in repressive ideologies must be replaced by more humane and effective policies shaped by scientific evidence, public health and human rights standards," reads an executive summary of the report. "This is the only way to simultaneously reduce drug-related death, disease and suffering and the violence, crime, corruption and illicit markets associated with ineffective prohibitionist policies. The fiscal implications of the policies we advocate, it must be stressed, pale in comparison to the direct costs and indirect consequences generated by the current regime."

Commission member Kofi Annan, former UN secretary general, said it is time for governments to change course.

"We need drug policies informed by evidence of what actually works, rather than policies that criminalize drug use while failing to provide access to effective prevention or treatment," he said in a statement. "This has led not only to overcrowded jails, but also to severe health and social problems."

Here are the commission's key recommendations:

- Putting health and community safety first requires a fundamental reorientation of policy priorities and resources, from failed punitive enforcement to proven health and social interventions … Spending on counterproductive enforcement measures should be ended, while proven prevention, harm reduction and treatment measures are scaled up to meet need.

- Ensure equitable access to essential medicines, in particular opiate-based medications for pain … Governments need to establish clear plans and timelines to remove the domestic and international obstacles to such provision.

- Stop criminalizing people for drug use and possession — and stop imposing "compulsory treatment" on people whose only offence is drug use or possession … these policies encourage high risk behaviours like unsafe injecting, deter people in need of treatment from seeking it, and divert law enforcement resources from focusing on serious criminality.

- Rely on alternatives to incarceration for non-violent, low-level participants in illicit drug markets such as farmers, couriers and others involved in the production, transport and sale of illicit drugs.

- Focus on reducing the power of criminal organizations as well as the violence and insecurity that result from their competition with both one another and the state. Allow and encourage diverse experiments in legally regulating markets in currently illicit drugs, beginning with, but not limited to, cannabis, coca leaf and certain novel psychoactive substances.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Apollonius wrote:Decriminalize cocaine and psychedelics, global group urges - Kathleen Harris, CBC News, 9 September 2014
A good start, but why stop at currently illicit drugs? Why not simply make all medications free market commodities?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Although recreational use of marijuana has been legal in the state of Colorado for nine months, some people are still choosing to buy it on the black market. Critics say legalization has created two systems: a legal market for those who can afford it and an underground market for people who can't. PBS NewsHour Special Correspondent Rick Karr reports from Denver.
lJKx_c45zlM
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Apollonius wrote:Decriminalize cocaine and psychedelics, global group urges - Kathleen Harris, CBC News, 9 September 2014
A good start, but why stop at currently illicit drugs? Why not simply make all medications free market commodities?
Indeed. I'd say that an exception would be antibiotics due the problem of overuse leading to bacteria evolving resistance.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Indeed. I'd say that an exception would be antibiotics due the problem of overuse leading to bacteria evolving resistance.
Overuse comes from the prophylactic use of antibiotics in factory farmed meat. MDs in the US quit taking cultures decades ago except in extreme cases. Earache? Amoxicillin. Bronchitis? Z-pak. No real judgment there, just more doctor bills.

The only evolved resistance is in the US for profit health care monopoly.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Yeah drug use should be legalized We can always use more Hitlers :roll:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /17242185/
Report: Hitler was on crystal meth

Neal Colgrass, Newser staff 10:21 a.m. EDT October 14, 2014

(NEWSER) – Adolf Hitler apparently relied on a stunning array of drugs while ruling Nazi Germany, including one made popular by the show Breaking Bad: crystal meth.

According to a 47-page U.S. military dossier, a physician filled the Fuhrer with barbiturate tranquilizers, morphine, bulls' semen, a pill that contained crystal meth, and other drugs, depending on Hitler's momentary needs, the Daily Mail reports. By this account, Hitler downed crystal meth before a 1943 meeting with Mussolini in which the Fuhrer ranted for two hours, and took nine shots of methamphetamine while living out his last days in his bunker.

The dossier's allegations will be considered in a British TV documentary this weekend called Hitler's Hidden Drug Habit, the Times of Israel reports.

Just who was Hitler's dealer? Named Theodor Morell, he succeeded as a Berlin doctor despite his unconventional methods and controversial past. Revelations that he had treated Jews hurt his business in 1933, and many thought he appeared Jewish; Hitler's inner circle disliked both his appearance and his practices, according to the Times. A U.S. collector who found the dossier also criticized Morell, calling him "a quack and a fraud and a snake oil salesman." Yet Hitler trusted him until the Nazis fell in 1945.

Hitler's alleged use of other drugs, like cocaine and amphetamines, has already been documented — the International Business Times mentions two documentaries that cover it — but his apparent reliance on 74 drugs, including crystal meth, adds to the portrait of a hypochondriac ruling Nazi Germany while high.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I think Dr. Morell's prescribing the bull semen was probably more responsible for Hitler's actions than the methedrine.

Without that prescription, der Fürher probably would have been stomped to death the first time he tried to give a bull a blow job.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

No shortage of speculations:
Hitler has only got one ball,
Göring has two but very small,
Himmler is somewhat sim'lar,
But poor Goebbels has no balls at all.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Bull semen - Not even once!

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

im suspicious of anyone thats perky 24/7 on demand... every damn time the smoke settles it turns out they had chemical assistance be they politicians or celebrities.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Economist | The great American relapse
The spread of heroin to a new market of relatively affluent, suburban whites has allowed the drug to make a comeback, after decades of decline.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Economist | The great American relapse
The spread of heroin to a new market of relatively affluent, suburban whites has allowed the drug to make a comeback, after decades of decline.

Hmm in the 1960's the age of the average first time user was 16 years?? Doesn't seem credible.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:

Hmm in the 1960's the age of the average first time user was 16 years?? Doesn't seem credible.
Why?

You can look up the paper in JAMA Psych and evaluate the data for yourself:

The changing face of heroin use in the United States: a retrospective analysis of the past 50 years.

Seems that the real problem is the over prescription of the opiod Oxycontin.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

Why?

You can look up the paper in JAMA Psych and evaluate the data for yourself:

The changing face of heroin use in the United States: a retrospective analysis of the past 50 years.

Seems that the real problem is the over prescription of the opiod Oxycontin.
"Why?" In the 1960s Heroin was the hard drug of choice of college age youth.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Cocaine-filled planes heading to the U.S.
are more likely to land in Honduras,
where a U.S. military post exists,
than Nicaragua,
according to State Department reports.

“The efforts of the government of Nicaragua to protect their territory and their people from the activities of drug traffickers have been quite positive,” William Brownfield, Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement, told reporters last week. That came despite “various complicated elements” in U.S.-Nicaragua relations, added Brownfield, whose department is commonly referred to as “Drugs and Thugs.”

Even grudging compliments from U.S. officials would have been unthinkable a generation ago, when the political controversy over U.S.-funded rebels fighting Ortega’s Sandinista government dominated foreign policy debates in Washington, where Ortega was seen as a puppet of the Soviet Union.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well, I think I've come up with a workable, and dare I say, enlightened compromise to the marijuana legalization controversy in the US:

Makes it's consumption legal, but only via the method advocated in this article . . .
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:Well, I think I've come up with a workable, and dare I say, enlightened compromise to the marijuana legalization controversy in the US:

Makes it's consumption legal, but only via the method advocated in this article . . .
Let's just say I won't be passing a joint around at any of your parties.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Well, I think I've come up with a workable, and dare I say, enlightened compromise to the marijuana legalization controversy in the US:

Just as it is better to travel well than to arrive, it is better to prescribe precepts than to practice . . .

Gives new meaning to the expression "to pass a joint".
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

:lol:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

Just as it is better to travel well than to arrive, it is better to prescribe precepts than to practice . . .

Gives new meaning to the expression "to pass a joint".
:lol:

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/ ... california
Illegal Pot Farms Are Literally Sucking California Salmon Streams Dry

—By Josh Harkinson

| Fri Mar. 27, 2015 4:06 PM EDT

Outlet Creek watershed in Northern California's Mendocino County. Scott Bauer

Northern California pot farmers are using up all of the water that normally supports key populations of the region's federally protected salmon and steelhead trout.

That, at least, is the conclusion of a new study, published last week in the journal PLOS One, that examined four California watersheds where salmon and trout are known to spawn. In the three watersheds with intensive pot cultivation, illegal marijuana farms literally sucked up all of the water during the streams' summer low-flow period, leaving nothing to support the fish.

"The current scale of marijuana cultivation in Northern California could be catastrophic for aquatic species."

Author Scott Bauer, a biologist with the state department of fish and wildlife, estimated the size and location of outdoor and greenhouse pot farms by looking at Google Earth images and accompanying drug enforcement officers on raids. He did not include "indoor" grows—marijuana grown under lamps in buildings.

After visiting 32 marijuana greenhouses in eight locations and averaging the results, Bauer extrapolated his findings to all greenhouses in the study area—virtually nothing else is grown in greenhouses in this part of the country. The sites contained marijuana plants at a density of about one per square meter, with each plant (taking waste and other factors into account) using about six gallons of water a day. Overall, he calculated, pot operations within the study yielded 112,000 plants, and consumed 673,000 gallons of water every day.

And that is water the area's fish badly need. The Coho salmon population is listed as threatened under both state and federal Endangered Species Acts, and is designated as a key population to maintain or improve as part of the state's recovery plan.

Bauer collected his data last year, at a time when California's drought had already become its worst in more than 1,200 years. When I spoke to him at the time, he told me that pot farming had surpassed logging and development to become the single biggest threat to the area's salmon. Now that that the drought is expected to extend into a fourth year, the same streams could run dry again this summer, and remain so for an even longer period of time.

Overall, the outdoor and greenhouse grows consume more than 60 million gallons of water a day during the growing season—50 percent more than is used by all the residents of San Francisco.

"Clearly, water demands for the existing level of marijuana cultivation in many Northern California watersheds are unsustainable and are likely contributing to the decline of sensitive aquatic species in the region," Bauer's study concludes. "Given the specter of climate change"—and the attendant rise of megadroughts—"the current scale of marijuana cultivation in Northern California could be catastrophic for aquatic species."
YMix

Post by YMix »

Mood-Altering Drug Use Highest in West Virginia, Lowest in Alaska
by Justin McCarthy

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- West Virginians are most likely to report near-daily use of drugs or medications that alter their mood or help them relax, followed by residents of Rhode Island. Southern states make up six of the top 10 highest drug use states, while Alaskans, Wyomingites and Californians are least likely to say they use such drugs almost every day.

These data are based on interviews with at least 450 residents of each state from January to December 2014, as part of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index. While the question specifically refers to drugs that "affect your mood or help you relax," the interpretation of that description is left up to respondents and could include prescription drugs, recreational drugs, alcohol or nicotine.

More than one in five residents of Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina, Mississippi and Missouri report using a drug or medicated substance to alter their mood or relax on a near-daily basis. Indiana and Oregon round out the top 10.

An analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Southern states are among those with the highest rates for prescribing narcotic painkillers. Southern states also house the most frequent cigarette smokers, according to prior Gallup-Healthways research.

Lower rates of drug and medication use were in a regionally diverse group of states. After the three states that have the lowest drug use rates (Alaska, Wyoming and California), about one in six residents in Illinois, North Dakota, New Jersey, Colorado, Texas and Utah say they use such drugs almost every day.
[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.