The future of retirement

Post by Typhoon »

Negative?

WSJ | Bad new for boomers
Demographic trends will depress portfolio returns
Postive?

Economist | Maple revolutionaries
Canada’s public pension funds are changing the deal-making landscape
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Re: The future of retirement

Post by Enki »

It will be very interesting to see how the future of retirement is affected by all of those people who are graduating college with stunted careers that don't get started until their thirties, and the retirees will be drawing their benefits from pension funds paid into by those workers.

I heard an interesting thing about a Longshoremen deal for the New York ports where the Longshoremen were guaranteed lifetime pensions, but the ports automated, so they didn't need the work, they just got paid, but as that generation dies off, (Basically now), those companies won't be paying a new generation of Longshoremen.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Endovelico

Re: The future of retirement

Post by Endovelico »

Unavoidably people will have to retire at a later age. With people living up to 80 years and more, retirement cannot be done before one is at least 70 years of age, unless one's profession is physically demanding or one is not healthy enough to keep working. I am 69 years old and I keep teaching at the university, and feel well enough to do it for a few more years. Obviously things would be different if I had a construction job, but there are plenty of professions one can do well past the age of 65.