News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Heracleum Persicum

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

I am petitioning admin should send an email to Ibrahim inviting him to come back and post .. he was really a good poster .. kind of missing him

Don't know how to put a "Poll" for that so that all can vote

noddy

Post by noddy »

ibrahim isnt a public service which can be forced into action.

if/when it amuses him to argue on teh intumernets again, he will do so.. all of us take breaks from it, if we are sane, or atleast wish to maintain the illusion of it.
ultracrepidarian
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Sketching is a hobby . . anyone else . . ?
outbldg001.jpg
outbldg001.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
dandelion001_2.jpg
dandelion001_2.jpg (38.83 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well done. Colour me impressed.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nice, Marcus.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thank you, gentlemen . . it's a hobby. I buy blank card/envelopes and rubber-cement copies of such sketches to the cards. Letter writing, with a fountain pen, is another hobby.

I also enjoy block-printing . . .
denali001.jpg
denali001.jpg (106.41 KiB) Viewed 9618 times
Denali
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
kmich

Post by kmich »

After much discussion with my wife and partners, I am going on mission again. This move was far more contentious this time. My wife was understandably concerned about my previous promises to cease such dangerous adventures and particularly frightened of this next one, and my partners were concerned about the loss of practice revenue in my extended absence. For my partners, I arranged to cover and work extra for them before the mission and after, and they were satisfied with that, although I doubt they would agree to this again. For my wife, that has been much harder. This may be my last, but I don’t know. I have said that and promised that before, but have not kept my word.

Jordan, refugee medical/surgical/trauma clinic in the northern part of the country near the border on the road between the Syrian city of Daraa and the Jordanian city of Ramtha. Leaving February 3, returning mid March. Will be busy before and after meeting my obligations to my partners, so will be not as active here during these times.

Happy New Year to all. You will all be in my prayers. kmich
YMix

Post by YMix »

Well, take care.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Take care kmich! I wish you the best.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

May God bless you, kmitch.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

I admire you Kmitch. You don't just talk, you do. And risk your life and safety doing it. I wish I had your courage... Please take care and come back to us in one piece.
Heracleum Persicum

kmich wrote:.

Jordan, refugee medical/surgical/trauma clinic in the northern part of the country near the border on the road between the Syrian city of Daraa and the Jordanian city of Ramtha. Leaving February 3, returning mid March. Will be busy before and after meeting my obligations to my partners, so will be not as active here during these times.

Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds

Wish you the best, kmich

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

kmich wrote:After much discussion with my wife and partners, I am going on mission again. This move was far more contentious this time. My wife was understandably concerned about my previous promises to cease such dangerous adventures and particularly frightened of this next one, and my partners were concerned about the loss of practice revenue in my extended absence. For my partners, I arranged to cover and work extra for them before the mission and after, and they were satisfied with that, although I doubt they would agree to this again. For my wife, that has been much harder. This may be my last, but I don’t know. I have said that and promised that before, but have not kept my word.

I'm sure that they can use all the help that they can get and you have the much needed skill set.

Stay safe and let us know when you're back.

Happy New Year.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

good luck with it.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Wonderful work you do, Kmich. Stay well!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Good for you, and best of luck Kmich !!! And please be careful. It ain't Kansas

Send us a post card if you get the chance. :D
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
kmich

Post by kmich »

Returned, safe and mostly sound. The return “home” was uneventful other than coping with ruder and dumber than usual US Customs and Immigration officials. Originating from a "Muslim" area of the world probably didn't help.

Not really “arrived” yet. Having far more difficulty getting back into the routines of home and work than I have in the past.

This is an odd country – in spite of wealth and security beyond the dreams of much of the world, people are more paranoid, insecure, and reactive here than in some of the most challenging life and security situations elsewhere. I don’t get it. Imagined and projected fears and dangers always seemed to me to be far more hazardous to ones sanity and integrity than real ones.

Feeling out of place right now. Wanting to go back on mission. I suppose this too shall pass. It will have to... :(

Hope all have been healthy and well here. :)

Back to work, much covering for partners and catching up to do…
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Welcome home, kmitch!
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Welcome back Kmich. Would be interesting to hear some of your experiences and observations.. if you have time/inspiration :)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich wrote:

This is an odd country – in spite of wealth and security beyond the dreams of much of the world, people are more paranoid, insecure, and reactive here than in some of the most challenging life and security situations elsewhere. I don’t get it. Imagined and projected fears and dangers always seemed to me to be far more hazardous to ones sanity and integrity than real ones.
well said. The dragons and demons of reality pale in comparison to those we imagine.

welcome back.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

kmich wrote:Returned, safe and mostly sound. The return “home” was uneventful other than coping with ruder and dumber than usual US Customs and Immigration officials. Originating from a "Muslim" area of the world probably didn't help.

Not really “arrived” yet. Having far more difficulty getting back into the routines of home and work than I have in the past.

Feeling out of place right now. Wanting to go back on mission. I suppose this too shall pass. It will have to... :(

Welcome back. Glad to read that you're more or less okay after the experience.
noddy

Post by noddy »

kmich wrote:Returned, safe and mostly sound. The return “home” was uneventful other than coping with ruder and dumber than usual US Customs and Immigration officials. Originating from a "Muslim" area of the world probably didn't help.

glad your happy and healthy.

i wouldnt be too hard on your fellow merkins - most of them are probably over leveraged and thusly only appear to have all the comforts, in reality they are living week to week in a society which punishes the poor and a job that might go away at the drop of a ht. - they have a right to be terrified, i know i sometimes am for those reasons.

on some levels being poor in a poor country is less stressful provided you have managed to find a sustainable source of food and water.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

I doubt this will interest any of you, but this is the list of news sources I currently use:

Press (mostly online):
- The Guardian (UK)
- New Statesman (UK)
- Libération (France)
- El Pais (Spain)
- Expresso (Portugal)
- TASS (Russia)
- RT (Russia)
- Press TV (Iran)

TV
- Portuguese channels
- RT (Russia)
- TPA (Angola)
- NHK (Japan)
- CCTV (China)
- TVE (Spain)

I no longer read any US papers or watch any US television. If necessary, I may look into other news sources, but that only occurs in very special situations. So far I have not felt that I was missing any essential pieces of news.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

That's taking "News from Forum Participants" a bit literally . . .
Heracleum Persicum

Endovelico wrote:.

I no longer read any US papers or watch any US television. If necessary, I may look into other news sources, but that only occurs in very special situations. So far I have not felt that I was missing any essential pieces of news.

Not a good idea, Endo, not a good idea

One should read/watch media from all sides