Asia Times appears to be closing.

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Asia Times appears to be closing.

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Apollonius wrote:I'll put this here. Maybe it belongs in Hell.

What happens when you get a global climate change denier, a Portuguese Marxist Putinophile, and a Beloved Persian who thinks Iran ruled Asia Minor for "1000s of yrs" together?

You've got trouble.

My recent post at the Spengler forum has me feeling that communication over the internet is almost guaranteed to be misconstrued. Booklady seemed offended at my criticism of forums in general, apparently taking it as a criticism of the Spengler forum. Many people have commented on how it used to be an excellent place for exchange of ideas. Maybe forums only have a limited 'best before' shelf life, but I think the real problem is the proliferation of users and sites, which means that we don't have to tolearte differences anymore. Just start your own blog or facebook page and rant away.

As long as I'm antagonizing everyone, I might as well include a comment about Mr. Perfect's latest post about ethinker. Except for the fact that I'm trying (not too hard and obviously completely unsuccessfully) not to get into serious disputes with anyone, I had been tempted several times to post nearly identical thoughts.

It all has me wistfully thinking back to the good ol' days when everyone got along so well that harsh words or disputes of any kind never happened.

P.S. Can't stand Pepe Escobar.

Why is my answer to "a Beloved Persian who thinks Iran ruled Asia Minor for "1000s of yrs"" posted by Apollonius moved to Iran thread ? ?

Apollonius alleged something and deserves an intelligent answer

The answer belongs here so that Apollonius is enlighted and learns something .. one of the main purpose for a fora posters leaning new knowledge.

I am protesting

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:

What happens when you get a global climate change denier, a Portuguese Marxist Putinophile, and a Beloved Persian who thinks Iran ruled Asia Minor for "1000s of yrs" together?

You've got trouble.

My recent post at the Spengler forum has me feeling that communication over the internet is almost guaranteed to be misconstrued. Booklady seemed offended at my criticism of forums in general, apparently taking it as a criticism of the Spengler forum. Many people have commented on how it used to be an excellent place for exchange of ideas. Maybe forums only have a limited 'best before' shelf life, but I think the real problem is the proliferation of users and sites, which means that we don't have to tolearte differences anymore. Just start your own blog or facebook page and rant away.

As long as I'm antagonizing everyone, I might as well include a comment about Mr. Perfect's latest post about ethinker. Except for the fact that I'm trying (not too hard and obviously completely unsuccessfully) not to get into serious disputes with anyone, I had been tempted several times to post nearly identical thoughts.

It all has me wistfully thinking back to the good ol' days when everyone got along so well that harsh words or disputes of any kind never happened.

Why is my answer to "a Beloved Persian who thinks Iran ruled Asia Minor for "1000s of yrs"" posted by Apollonius moved to Iran thread ? ?

The answer belongs here so that Apollonius is enlighted and learns something .. one of the main purpose for a fora posters leaning new knowledge.

I am protesting

This thread is not the one to debate Man-Made Global Warming/Great Bananawhateverstan/Marxism vs Capitalism/Putinler.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

You've got trouble.

I am protesting

This thread is not the one to debate Man-Made Global Warming/Great Bananawhateverstan/Marxism vs Capitalism/Putinler.

Agree

but

the alternative would be to leave "Apollonius" allegation unanswered, unfair

When a poster alleges something, rebuttal must be in same thread (though agree must be brief, so that subject of the tread is not lost).

Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:

You've got trouble.

I am protesting

Agree

but

the alternative would be to leave "Apollonius" allegation unanswered, unfair

When a poster alleges something, rebuttal must be in same thread (though agree must be brief, so that subject of the tread is not lost).

Here is a link to your reply.
viewtopic.php?p=85589#p85589
Fair enough AZ?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.atimes.com/
March 22 signals Asia Times' rebirth.
We are launching with a completely redesigned website, new logo, and expanded content that features more bloggers and financial news and analysis. We also will be adding fresh categories such as sports and lifestyle.

The changes reflect a change of ownership. The website is now owned by a new group of investors.

However, Asia Times' mission remains unchanged: To look at regional issues from an Asian perspective, while standing apart from the mainstream English-language media, whose reporting on Asian matters is generally by Westerners for Westerners. We hope you like the new Asia Times.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

wubba wubba.......... kewlness.......'>..........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Doc

Post by Doc »

The new Atimes.com site Is up

The new editor in chief is an American of Japanese heritage

Doug Tsuruoka

More or less a mission statement at the link:
Asia Times: Back to the future

Please allow me to introduce myself as the new editor in chief of Asia Times. It is a role that I accept with a great deal of humility.
http://atimes.com/2015/03/asia-times-ba ... he-future/

Given all the hardships they have suffered, I wish them all the luck in the world
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:The new Atimes.com site Is up

Doug Tsuruoka

Please allow me to introduce myself as the new editor in chief of Asia Times. It is a role that I accept with a great deal of humility.

Given all the hardships they have suffered, I wish them all the luck in the world

seconded

and
You will also see expanded comment on Asia Times’ webpages on Russia and Iran. These nations have always formed integral parts of Asia and are having an increasing impact on the region.
"expanded comment" on Iran :D

So far, only Escobar writes positive for Iran .. others, pretty much always, write only against Iran

But, let us wait and see

IMO, AT should include some Iranian commentators from "within" Iran, say,

Dr sadegh Zibakalam .. a opposing force to Ayatollahs, very courageous confrontation with government policies on Iranian TV

or

Seyed Mohammad Marandi,
professor of North American Studies and dean of the Faculty of World Studies at the University of Tehran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Marandi

Yes, true, he representing the Iranian side, but one should know both side arguments

More of "Spengler" rubbish would mean not much change and would mean probably same destiny

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doug Tsuruoka

Best wishes to the new ATOL for a successful launch.

Are they going to continue to support the forum?

On the front page it's only linked to as an archival site.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:

Doug Tsuruoka

It is supposed to be upgraded next month. Otherwise I think they are still working on the site. It seems like it has had some changes a couple times in the last few hours.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Doug Tsuruoka

It is supposed to be upgraded next month. Otherwise I think they are still working on the site. It seems like it has had some changes a couple times in the last few hours.
Thank you for the info. After having a look, I did see a note from the ATAdmin on the forum.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Doug Tsuruoka

Thank you for the info. After having a look, I did see a note from the ATAdmin on the forum.

Would like to post in ATOL fora as Merops Persicus

Would appreciate to inform when they activate the "forum", and provide a link to

Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Doug Tsuruoka

Would like to post in ATOL fora as Merops Persicus

Would appreciate to inform when they activate the "forum", and provide a link to

Why not just change RoRi to Merops Persicus?
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:.

Why not just change RoRi to Merops Persicus ?

What is RoRi ?

Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote:.

Why not just change RoRi to Merops Persicus ?

What is RoRi ?

I don't know. You tell me.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

No sign of the Spengler forum on the Atimes site, or indeed the Edge into which it was merged.

Has it migrated elsewhere, or was the end in line with the old cliché, with a whimper not a bang?
YMix

Post by YMix »

Torchwood wrote:No sign of the Spengler forum on the Atimes site, or indeed the Edge into which it was merged.

Has it migrated elsewhere, or was the end in line with the old cliché, with a whimper not a bang?
You are the second Brit asking this question. :)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3770
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

OK, I have reregistered in Davos.

Gruetsi miteinander, and I will get the apres-ski drinks ready.

The Spengler forum has had more reincarnations than a primeval Buddhist endlessly failing to hit nirvana.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

FYI the link is http://www.davosman.org/ since the HEAVEN board is for the wailing and gnashing of teeth, y'know like, feels......;).........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:FYI the link is http://www.davosman.org/ since the HEAVEN board is for the wailing and gnashing of teeth, y'know like, feels......;).........
We would enjoy seeing more of you here too, helping to keep it surreal, and not only posting links to another site ;)
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Yeah..... apologies, that was a perfectly wicked thing to do......'>......:

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Herm derm....... something, something........'>........

https://pjmedia.com/spengler/turkish-cy ... es-israel/
On Thursday, Turkish hackers took down the websites of the Times of Israel, Israel's largest-circulation news group, as well as Asia Times (atimes.com), the leading pan-Asian English language digital newspaper. Both sites were defended by top-of-the-line Israeli cybersecurity systems, so the hack could have been conducted only with the resource of a state intelligence service, according to Israeli intelligence. The hackers posted a pro-Palestinian message with reference to Gaza. That conforms to official Turkish policy, which backs the terrorist group Hamas as well as its mother organization, the Muslim Brotherhood.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Looks like AsiaTimes did a lil' formatting....'>.....:

https://asiatimes.com/author/spengler/

https://asiatimes.com/author/david-p-goldman/