Are you smarter than a sixth grader?

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.

When is cheryl's birthday?

May 15
No votes
May 16
No votes
May 19
No votes
June 17
No votes
June 18
No votes
July 14
No votes
July 16
100%
Aug 14
No votes
Aug 15
No votes
Aug 17
No votes

Total votes: 1

Doc

Are you smarter than a sixth grader?

Post by Doc »

Actual math test question in Singapore for 6th graders

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Are you smarter than a sixth grader?

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

That Cheryl. What a bitch! Albert & Bernard need to look elsewhere.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:That Cheryl. What a bitch! Albert & Bernard need to look elsewhere.
maybe we should send them a link to beautiful women :lol:
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

August 17th.......'>...........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Doc

Post by Doc »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:August 17th.......'>...........
No But you are between one day and two months of being correct :P
Yukon Cornelius

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

Had to look -- it's critical to know that Albert and Bernard ONLY communicate to each other in the printed statements.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Doc wrote:
July 16.

1. Eliminate May & June
2. Eliminate 14
3. Eliminate August
cultivate a white rose
Doc

Post by Doc »

Azrael wrote:
Doc wrote:
July 16.

1. Eliminate May & June
2. Eliminate 14
3. Eliminate August

Maybe. But if so it is not logical.

http://mothership.sg/2015/04/p5-logic-q ... -students/

Bonus questions

A)Is this logical torture of 6th graders?
B)Logical torture of the adults trying to solve it?
C)A Torture of logic itself?
D) All of the above?

And

Is logical torture ever acceptable?

:D
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

That's what I did. It was fun.

It would have been torture if I didn't know that Albert and Bernard were telling the truth and if I didn't know that there was a way to deterministically determine the correct answer, rather than just a lucky guess.

Interesting question: if we didn't have Albert's last response, what would be the probability that July 16 is the correct answer?

50% (assuming equal chance between July and August)?
25% (assuming equal chance between all 4 remaining birthdays)?

Something else?

Edit: I think 25%
cultivate a white rose
Doc

Post by Doc »

Azrael wrote:That's what I did. It was fun.

It would have been torture if I didn't know that Albert and Bernard were telling the truth
That is the rub It does not say that all statements are true. We don't know what either Albert and Bernard were told. I think it is probably whoever wrote the article but standard logic questions like this are suppose to say that all statements are true. What if Bernard was told the "15th"? Maybe albert was mistaken when he said he knew the answer rather than lying?

For a 6th grade test I think this is over the top even if they stated that all statements are true.
and if I didn't know that there was a way to deterministically determine the correct answer, rather than just a lucky guess.

Interesting question: if we didn't have Albert's last response, what would be the probability that July 16 is the correct answer?

Something else?

I think it you would have to evaluate all of the statements one at a time and give the odds for being right in the order they were made to get the percentage. What if Cheryl was not telling the truth? :D
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Doc wrote:

It would have been torture if I didn't know that Albert and Bernard were telling the truth
That is the rub It does not say that all statements are true. We don't know what either Albert and Bernard were told. I think it is probably whoever wrote the article but standard logic questions like this are suppose to say that all statements are true. What if Bernard was told the "15th"? Maybe albert was mistaken when he said he knew the answer rather than lying?

For a 6th grade test I think this is over the top even if they stated that all statements are true.
and if I didn't know that there was a way to deterministically determine the correct answer, rather than just a lucky guess.

Something else?

I think it you would have to evaluate all of the statements one at a time and give the odds for being right in the order they were made to get the percentage. What if Cheryl was not telling the truth? :D
I don't think that she lied.

She never mentioned the year. :wink:
cultivate a white rose
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

suddenly, I have new insight into how people confuse weather with climate..... and computer modeling with reality......

sixth grade computer modeling math classes..... :roll:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Azrael wrote:
Doc wrote:

Something else?

I don't think that she lied.

She never mentioned the year. :wink:
Yeah what a B*tch. ;)