Armenia & Armenian diaspora

Alexis

Armenia & Armenian diaspora

Post by Alexis »

On the topic of the Armenian genocide, that declaration is instructive
My decision to attack Poland was arrived at last spring. Originally, I feared that the political constellation would compel me to strike simultaneously at England, Russia, France, and Poland. Even this risk would have had to be taken.

Ever since the autumn of 1938, and because I realized that Japan would not join us unconditionally and that Mussolini is threatened by that nit-wit of a king and the treasonable scoundrel of a crown prince, I decided to go with Stalin.

In the last analysis, there are only three great statesmen in the world, Stalin, I, and Mussolini. Mussolini is the weakest, for he has been unable to break the power of either the crown or the church. Stalin and I are the only ones who envisage the future and nothing but the future. Accordingly, I shall in a few weeks stretch out my hand to Stalin at the common German-Russian frontier and undertake the redistribution of the world with him.

Our strength consists in our speed and in our brutality. Genghis Khan led millions of women and children to slaughter — with premeditation and a happy heart. History sees in him solely the founder of a state. It's a matter of indifference to me what a weak western European civilization will say about me.

I have issued the command — and I'll have anybody who utters but one word of criticism executed by a firing squad — that our war aim does not consist in reaching certain lines, but in the physical destruction of the enemy. Accordingly, I have placed my death-head formations in readiness — for the present only in the East — with orders to them to send to death mercilessly and without compassion, men, women, and children of Polish derivation and language. Only thus shall we gain the living space (Lebensraum) which we need. Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?

Author of the declaration is obviously AH.

It is often cited as particularly clear reason why acts of genocide should be remembered and taught.
Typhoon

Re: Armenia & Armenian diaspora

Post by Typhoon »

You Who Wronged [Daylight]

You who wronged a simple man
Bursting into laughter at the crime,
And kept a pack of fools around you
To mix good and evil, to blur the line,

Though everyone bowed down before you,
Saying virtue and wisdom lit your way,
Striking gold medals in your honor,
Glad to have survived another day,

Do not feel safe. The poet remembers.
You can kill one, but another is born.
The words are written down, the deed, the date.

And you’d have done better with a winter dawn,
A rope, and a branch bowed beneath your weight.

~ Czeslaw Milosz, 1950 [translated by Richard Lourie]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

What is it with the Turks...
Deep down I'm very superficial
HAL 10000

Post by HAL 10000 »

As a Jewish supporter Israel I am totally ashamed that my adopted country Israel is so far behind schedule in vigorously recognizing the Armenian genocide.

Moreover, it is not directly because of Turkish diplomatic pressure on Israel, but the US (including Obama) so far refrained from using the word genocide because NATO needs the military bases in Turkey, and Israel depends on the US for its survival.

In addition, to get oil from Azerbaijan and to maintain Azerbaijan as an ally against Iran, we the Israelis still have not used the word genocide, we have just sent a few low level representatives to Armenia yesterday for the 100th commemoration of the Armenian genocide (while our government still uses the word massacre, etc, instead of genocide.)

And I am ashamed because we are supposed to be "experts" on genocide, but we are being cowards for our own survival.

Here is a funny but accurate quotation:

https://www.stratfor.com/sample/geopoli ... erminology
An Armenian Tragedy: The Geopolitics of Terminology
The choice between "genocide" and "massacre" in describing the mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks in 1915 indicates either support for a small country aligned with Russia or close ties with a rising power in the Middle East and the Russian periphery.
APR 23, 2015 | 23:29 GMT
And here is a very unusual documentary made with the help of German historians who explain in detail with authentic documents, that during WW I Germany not only helped the Ottoman Empire to organize and implement that Armenian genocide, but it was the German government who actually encouraged the Ottomans to exterminate the Armenians. The main reason was that Germany wanted to import oil from the Middle East that was under Ottoman control, and German officials viewed Armenians as an obstacle capable of sabotaging the oil imports going through Turkey.

YouTube divided the documentary in several pieces but these are organized as a playlist, and once you view the first part, the other parts will automatically follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl8sMDZ ... D3C305FE7C

Incidentally, one of the German soldiers who went to Turkey to participate in the Armenian genocide, was Rudolf Hoss (not to be confused with Rudolf Hess). And it is also mentioned in this documentary that three decades later, Rudolf Hoss became the commander of Auschwitz, and he was the one who decided to use gas chambers with hydrogen cyanide. (Yes, the same guy.)
The name HAL is derived from "Heuristically Programmed ALgorithmic Computer." HAL 10000 is the new generation computer destined to become the successor to HAL 9000, as suggested in Arthur C. Clarke's book.