Drug Culture News | The Great Binge

This too shall pass.
Azrael

Re: Drug Culture News - Marijuana and More

Post by Azrael »

YMix wrote:
Mood-Altering Drug Use Highest in West Virginia, Lowest in Alaska
by Justin McCarthy

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- West Virginians are most likely to report near-daily use of drugs or medications that alter their mood or help them relax, followed by residents of Rhode Island. Southern states make up six of the top 10 highest drug use states, while Alaskans, Wyomingites and Californians are least likely to say they use such drugs almost every day.

These data are based on interviews with at least 450 residents of each state from January to December 2014, as part of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index. While the question specifically refers to drugs that "affect your mood or help you relax," the interpretation of that description is left up to respondents and could include prescription drugs, recreational drugs, alcohol or nicotine.

More than one in five residents of Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina, Mississippi and Missouri report using a drug or medicated substance to alter their mood or relax on a near-daily basis. Indiana and Oregon round out the top 10.

An analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Southern states are among those with the highest rates for prescribing narcotic painkillers. Southern states also house the most frequent cigarette smokers, according to prior Gallup-Healthways research.

Lower rates of drug and medication use were in a regionally diverse group of states. After the three states that have the lowest drug use rates (Alaska, Wyoming and California), about one in six residents in Illinois, North Dakota, New Jersey, Colorado, Texas and Utah say they use such drugs almost every day.
[...]
Interesting that California, the state of hippies and Hollywood, is one of the states with the lowest rates. I would imagine that a lot of the drug use in the South is in the form of pills: Percocet, OxyContin, Valium, Xanax, etc.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:Economist | The great American relapse
The spread of heroin to a new market of relatively affluent, suburban whites has allowed the drug to make a comeback, after decades of decline.
It's likely that prescription narcotics, like Percocet and OxyContin, are the gateway drug to Heroin for a lot of these relatively affluent people.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Drug Overdose, On The Rise, Cropping Up As Campaign Issue
Drug overdoses now kill more Americans than traffic accidents.
A dose of heroin is now cheaper than a six pack of good beer, said Ted Gatsas, the mayor of Manchester. "There is no simple fix. We are not going to arrest our way out of this," he said. Gatsas is a prominent Republican in the state and bends the ear of every presidential candidate he meets. It turns out that's a lot of them — seven so far this cycle.
The failure of the US so-called War on Drugs summed up in fourteen words.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:Drug Overdose, On The Rise, Cropping Up As Campaign Issue
A dose of heroin is now cheaper than a six pack of good beer, said Ted Gatsas, the mayor of Manchester. "There is no simple fix. We are not going to arrest our way out of this," he said. Gatsas is a prominent Republican in the state and bends the ear of every presidential candidate he meets. It turns out that's a lot of them — seven so far this cycle.
Good beer. Americans are safe in the immediate future.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Good beer. Americans are safe in the immediate future.
Ouch.
Heracleum Persicum

Whites, women and the rich

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Demographic and Substance Use Trends Among Heroin Users — United States, 2002–2013

http://rt.com/usa/272566-cdc-survey-heroin-epidemic/

CDC health officials said that the US is in the grip of a heroin epidemic, with abuse of the drug doubling among 18-25 year olds, doubling for women, and rising among white people by 114 percent over a decade from 2002 to 2013. The survey also found heroin use to have increased across America within most demographics – men, women, most age groups and all income levels.

Researchers also noted a 60 percent uptick in the abuse of the drug among people with higher incomes.

There are currently about 500,000 people addicted to the drug in the US, the CDC stated in its Vital Signs report. The data comes from an annual national face-to-face survey the CDC conducted with 67,000 Americans, and includes comparisons with data from The National Survey on Drug Use and Health.

YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Are you suggesting legalizing heroin will reverse these problems.
Censorship isn't necessary
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
And fix the obesity problem as well.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
And fix the obesity problem as well.
FINALLY.... common sense solutions! :)
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: And fix the obesity problem as well.
How would legalization lower overdoses.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

:roll:

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

legalization wouldnt change overdoses.

the argument is that more kids are fucked up for life from the legal system than by the chemicals they went to jail for.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You guys don't want to lower overdoses?
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:legalization wouldnt change overdoses.
In theory, legalization should also mean product standardization and predictability of active substance content.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Yes. Treat it as the health problem that it is instead of a criminal activity.

The root of the problem is the over prescription and over use of the synthetic opiod Oxycontin.

People become addicted, but once their private health insurance no longer covers the cost, they resort to street heroin to satisfy their addiction.

The punishment method in the US is one of the greatest policy failures in the history of the USA.
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote:
noddy wrote:legalization wouldnt change overdoses.
In theory, legalization should also mean product standardization and predictability of active substance content.
for a small percentage of accidental od's maybe.

the reason for stopping prohibition of alcohol wasnt about reducing alcoholism and if it had of been it would be declared a failure.

its about not creating a billion dollar black market and destroying peoples lives worse than the thing being outlawed manages to do.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Yes. Treat it as the health problem that it is instead of a criminal activity.

The root of the problem is the over prescription and over use of the synthetic opiod Oxycontin.

People become addicted, but once their private health insurance no longer covers the cost, they resort to street heroin to satisfy their addiction.

The punishment method in the US is one of the greatest policy failures in the history of the USA.
Why can't we have a drug war policy like Japan.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

It's alarming how quickly some people take to prescription opiods. I personally can't stand them. I recently had a small percocet prescription prescribed to me, stopped it after a few days because it wasn't doing anything to blunt the pain while making me feel nauseous and a bit anxious. Thankfully, another doctor suggested over the counter ibuprofen and the effectiveness was immediate and helpful.

The thing was, since I was clearly still in a lot of pain, people would ask me if I was taking anything for it and when I would say, "yes," everyone of them suggested going over the prescribed dosage....

...and that's part and parcel of the problem- people are very insouciant about what they are prescribed. The dosage not working? Just take another one or call the doctor up and have him bump up the mg to the next level. Mix some over the counter substance with it. Do this and that but not a whole lot of concern about following as directed- even for more dangerous chemicals.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

In my experience, Percocet is ineffective and the worst of the bunch. Paregoric works well and codiene based cough syrup works well but Percocet just adds an unneeded addictive component.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Yes. Treat it as the health problem that it is instead of a criminal activity.

Why can't we have a drug war policy like Japan.
Because you don't have Japanese.

Japan, btw, has a policy on prohibited drugs as a former foreign board member of Toyota recently found out.

However, Japan does not have a "drug war" policy.
noddy

Post by noddy »

ive been watching the modern day cowboy thing 'Justified' - its all about rednecks and oxycontin.

seeing as thats as much as i know about the prescription opiate thing, i dare say i know nothing :)
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:In my experience, Percocet is ineffective and the worst of the bunch. Paregoric works well and codiene based cough syrup works well but Percocet just adds an unneeded addictive component.
I received a Tylenol-codeine subscription after ankle surgery and while it did it's job post-hospital, it made me extremely paranoid with this urge to flee as if I were in imminent danger (or I think it did, may have been any of the other chemicals floating through me that day.) Luckily, I felt fine enough the next day to not test it out.

Of course, I'm bringing this up 'cause I just had a root canal which the doctor afterwards handed me another percocet subscription. I told him that I'm sure I'll be fine without it, and that if there's any trouble, I'd be seeing him soon anyway; but he insisted.

Needless to say I'm not going to be going to the pharmacist with it, it's just a waste of money. But it sure seems like they are pushing it on me. :lol: