What does it mean to be a rugged individualist?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Re: What does it mean to be a rugged individualist?

Post by Simple Minded »

Napster & Parodite,

Was this not settled? A "rugged individualist" is just like a beautiful woman, a fat chick, a leftist, a rightist, a liberal, a conservative, a white, a black, a racist, a misogynist, etc. All are determined by the observer. The subject may proclaim he/she is _______. But the observer can always claim "No you're not!" or "No! You're not a true ______." "Not by my definition!"

Or in Simple Minded, Redneck Zen terms: "A Rugged Individualist is someone you can't tell nuttin to!"

all y'all at OTNot are rugged individualists (lower case)...... ;) or academics, they seem like the same bird.

Let the record show that Hitler was NOT a rugged individualist. :)
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You forgot about self identification. If stuart Smalley self identifies as an ri then everyone here should respect that.
Censorship isn't necessary
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Again very well said SM.Thanks :D
Mr. Perfect wrote:You forgot about self identification.
No. I stated, and SM also points out, that self-identification here is major. As with an older discussion where HP started on a track that he decides who is "Jewish". To which to always apt Typhoon responded that (self-identifying) Jews don't give a dam about HPs opinions.

If stuart Smalley self identifies as an ri then everyone here should respect that.
Of course he should be respected for that, even as a fictional character.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Sorry that was in reference to SM. My reference to you is on the previous page.

But in response if stuart can self identify why can't I. As an ri.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Sorry that was in reference to SM. My reference to you is on the previous page.

ok
But in response if stuart can self identify why can't I. As an ri.
Of course you can. And are entitled to do so. Why not?
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:You forgot about self identification. If stuart Smalley self identifies as an ri then everyone here should respect that.
Mr. P,

You and everyone else can self-identify as whatever you wish. And the observer is always free to agree or not. Difference of opinion, difference of definition.

To some Bill Clinton is black and Clarence Thomas is not.

To some George Zimmerman is white, and Barack Obama is black.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Is it just me, or has the invention of the internet, and the popularity of blogging, and the ubiqutousness of social media resulted in an exponential growth of rugged Individualists.... according to the following theorem?

"A Rugged Individualist is someone you can't tell nuttin to!"
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
There is an old Norm MacDonald bit I'm rather fond of, despite it's poor taste. By old I mean, told at the start of the recession. It went something like, "You know, if I had the money to invest you know what I'd invest in? Guys jumpin' off the top of buildings" [which elicits groans] "You'd think that's not going to happen, but soon it will be very big! And then those guys won't be powerful anymore, 'cause most of them will be dead and the rest severely crippled. And so the powerful guys will be the old hobos- the ones from the original depression."
I never appreciated Norm MacDonald's humor on SNL. But about six month ago or so, I heard several interviews of him on Dennis Miller's radio show, and became a fan. Check out the 03/27/2015 show.

He had a great give and take about his invisible friend.

from memory: "Did I ever tell you about my invisible friend? He's kinda of a nice guy, but a little sensitive. Ya never know what is gonna set him off. What a hothead. It's not like he's evil ya see, but just ignorant. he doesn't know any thing about any thing. But he thinks he does, ya know."

http://www.dennismillerradio.com/blog?a ... 0Macdonald
I didn't see him on SNL but he's great and improves with age- only problem I have with the Dennis Miller/Norm Macdonald pairing is that both of their styles don't mesh really well. It's clear they are friends and there is the (SNL.weekend update alumni?) rapport but where Miller sets up well- and Macdonald has a good give and take (because he's pretty good in interviews)- Miller smothers when things start rolling and doesn't know how not to draw attention back to himself. That is part of his persona and act, so you can't blame him for that, but he's not a good team player with anyone who can't 'go big' with him- doyouknowwhatimean? :)

Macdonald is doing Bob Hope act (with a lot of other influences mixed in there of course)

and for some reason my brain associates him with rugged individualist- though I can't give you any reason why that is.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I didn't see him on SNL but he's great and improves with age- only problem I have with the Dennis Miller/Norm Macdonald pairing is that both of their styles don't mesh really well. It's clear they are friends and there is the (SNL.weekend update alumni?) rapport but where Miller sets up well- and Macdonald has a good give and take (because he's pretty good in interviews)- Miller smothers when things start rolling and doesn't know how not to draw attention back to himself. That is part of his persona and act, so you can't blame him for that, but he's not a good team player with anyone who can't 'go big' with him- doyouknowwhatimean? :)

Macdonald is doing Bob Hope act (with a lot of other influences mixed in there of course)

and for some reason my brain associates him with rugged individualist- though I can't give you any reason why that is.
Interesting take. I never made the Bob Hope connection. good catch.

For a year or two, I was almost addicted to Miller's radio show (MP3 format, not live) precisely because he granted his guests and interviewees more air time and latitude than any other talk radio personality I have heard. I have heard several radio producers comment that more than 6 seconds of silent air time is the kiss of death for a radio show. That may be part of it. I also thought that the shtick of MacDonald's halting, hesitating delivery required a prodding, insistent questioner to draw him to the next punch line. But who knows. People with small egos don't get into show biz.

In my naiveté, prior to listening to Miller and a half dozen comedians dissect the mechanics and work of comedy on his show, I just assumed all these guys were doing unprepared stream of consciousness. Silly me.

Last week I listened to the entire 3/27/15 show again. Gene Barretta, Karl Zahn, Rob Laurich, and Norm MacDonald were all great. I laughed at least three times as much at MacDonald this time around than the first time. Subtlety is sometimes lost on me. Rob Laurich is amazing. Check him out.

That was actually Miller's last show. For several months, he hinted that end was near, than just off the air. I found out a few days later when I tried to download MP3 files.

I think the self-depreciating humor of the person who is obviously ignorant, yet absolutely certain of the timeless validity of their own personal opinions, comes across as rather rugged individualist-esque.

don't you? ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:Is it just me, or has the invention of the internet, and the popularity of blogging, and the ubiqutousness of social media resulted in an exponential growth of rugged Individualists.... according to the following theorem?

Before the internet, one's crazy uncle, the self-described "rugged individualist", would only annoy his relatives at family reunions and would spend the rest of his time in relatively harmless isolation.

With the advent of the internet all the crazy uncles of the world can now connect with and reinforce each other's delusions by generating looney memes through resonance that persist far longer than they otherwise would.

No man is an island . . .

. . . even Robinson Crusoe had Friday.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Well I wasn't entirely accurate, the consensus is that it doesn't exist, but if it does it is dangerous, should be hated and sneered at. Cue Condell video, 1, 2, 3...
Looking like you nailed it.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:
Before the internet, one's crazy uncle, the self-described "rugged individualist", would only annoy his relatives at family reunions and would spend the rest of his time in relatively harmless isolation.
Actually there are so many of us we just voted in a permanent supermajority and are looking to win the white house. At my family reunions the liberals are the crazy uncles.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

And BTW those of you who are ideologaphobic should really like Trump. He doesn't really come from a pigeonhole.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:You forgot about self identification. If stuart Smalley self identifies as an ri then everyone here should respect that.
Mr. P,

You and everyone else can self-identify as whatever you wish. And the observer is always free to agree or not. Difference of opinion, difference of definition.

So May 2015. If a man says he is a woman these days you are morally obligated to accept it. So it is with all self identification.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Mr. P,

So May 2015. If a man says he is a woman these days you are morally obligated to accept it. So it is with all self identification.
Life is so unfair at times.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Actually there are so many of us we just voted in a permanent supermajority and are looking to win the white house. At my family reunions the liberals are the crazy uncles.
The "ruggest individualist" crazy uncles are the ones who, in reality, are scared of their own shadows.

The "progressive tree-hugging" crazy uncles are the ones who, in reality, are scared that someone somewhere may not love them.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: The "ruggest individualist" crazy uncles are the ones who, in reality, are scared of their own shadows.

The "progressive tree-hugging" crazy uncles are the ones who, in reality, are scared that someone somewhere may not love them.
Whatever the case may be, we are the supermajority party now. I think the reality is though that some people are afraid of us, which I am comfortable with. That's why you see the hyperventilating.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:Interesting take. I never made the Bob Hope connection. good catch.

For a year or two, I was almost addicted to Miller's radio show (MP3 format, not live) precisely because he granted his guests and interviewees more air time and latitude than any other talk radio personality I have heard. I have heard several radio producers comment that more than 6 seconds of silent air time is the kiss of death for a radio show. That may be part of it. I also thought that the shtick of MacDonald's halting, hesitating delivery required a prodding, insistent questioner to draw him to the next punch line. But who knows. People with small egos don't get into show biz.

In my naiveté, prior to listening to Miller and a half dozen comedians dissect the mechanics and work of comedy on his show, I just assumed all these guys were doing unprepared stream of consciousness. Silly me.

Last week I listened to the entire 3/27/15 show again. Gene Barretta, Karl Zahn, Rob Laurich, and Norm MacDonald were all great. I laughed at least three times as much at MacDonald this time around than the first time. Subtlety is sometimes lost on me. Rob Laurich is amazing. Check him out.

That was actually Miller's last show. For several months, he hinted that end was near, than just off the air. I found out a few days later when I tried to download MP3 files.

I think the self-depreciating humor of the person who is obviously ignorant, yet absolutely certain of the timeless validity of their own personal opinions, comes across as rather rugged individualist-esque.

don't you? ;)
Miller is really slick and makes a great host. I wasn't talking so much about his ego (which I'm sure is sufficiently big for the job :) ) but his style and showmanship. I just think he and Macdonald don't play well off each other.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miller is really slick and makes a great host. I wasn't talking so much about his ego (which I'm sure is sufficiently big for the job :) ) but his style and showmanship. I just think he and Macdonald don't play well off each other.
Rugged Individualists often have differences of opinion...... ;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Is it just me, or has the invention of the internet, and the popularity of blogging, and the ubiqutousness of social media resulted in an exponential growth of rugged Individualists.... according to the following theorem?

With the advent of the internet all the crazy uncles of the world can now connect with and reinforce each other's delusions by generating looney memes through resonance that persist far longer than they otherwise would.

No man is an island . . .

. . . even Robinson Crusoe had Friday.
My point exactly, today's technology which promotes ease of finding confirmation bias, has increased the exposure/visibility/marketing of Rugged Individualists. A bit contradictory.......

Kinda like Binoculars and bird watching. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

what about somewhat rugged renaissance men ?
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:what about somewhat rugged renaissance men ?
birdcalls.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:what about somewhat rugged renaissance men ?
The rarest breed of all.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

I still haven't changed my pants.

Alex.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Being a rugged individualist is about hosting a cartoon late night show, having a hit song about a knife and being married to international star, Bjork.

zpuhhNUXwVU

"I don't need intelligent drugs Tom, because I don't know what they are. Okay, Tom? But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me- whether it's supposed to go in there or not- because I'm...different."