Computing | Software and Hardware

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Alexis

Speak English, please

Post by Alexis »

Parodite wrote:Windows 10: Microsoft faces criticism over privacy
What is this word?

Speak English, please!
YMix

Re: Computing: Software and Hardware

Post by YMix »

It's a synonym of the French word "privation".
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Deep down I'm very superficial
Parodite

We can run but not hide: VPN etc

Post by Parodite »

Anyone can recommend a good VPN? With minimal logging, own dns server, good speed, geographical coverage etc. Been looking around and these seem to come out well:

SoftEther VPN
Free but not many servers (i.e. "volunteers") in Europe, mostly far east. With interesting alternative technology to openVPN? They do log though.

Cyberghost
Good speed and coverage. Own DNS server. Claim minimal logging. Well priced. Located in Romania so legally bit out of reach from EU USA jurisdictions.

AirVPN
Started by internet privacy hacks and cracks. Minimal logging. Own DNS server (I think). Good speed and coverage. Most servers in Netherlands. Average priced.

Of interest:
https://www.dnsleaktest.com/
http://www.speedtest.net/
10 myths about VPN anonymity
Network monitoring tool: wireshark (tech savvy above my grade but maybe something to learn?)
Add-ins for browsers: ublock, ghostery, ...?

In general: 100% anonymity is a myth, but there is a lot you can do with smoke and mirrors. Tips that made sense to me:

- subscribe to a VPN using another VPN (1st subscription ever must be a cliffhanger kinda :? )
- Subscribe/communicate to anything via vpn and with a disposeable weirdname@obscure.com account
- pay with bitcoins. bitcoins are never 100% untraceable.. but it helps.
- use vpn+tor combination for max security with "layered onion" nodes.. but slow since p2p torrents clog the tor network usually.
- what is true today.. may have changed tomorrow. Corps and Govs will always fight citizens anonymity with tech and law.

Got inspired by new tv series: Mr. Robot. Saw all episodes on popcorn time.. worth the watch! 8-)
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I chose Ghostery VPN... aside good speeds mainly because of best price offer of 15,-/year.. how Dutch :D

VyprVPN came out best as it has some smart tweaks and also has IPv6 leakage under control.

Weaknesses of VPN:
A Glance through the VPN Looking Glass: IPv6 Leakage and DNS Hijacking in Commercial VPN clients

Tor network already compromised by hackers and more vulnerable than most know?
If you still trust Tor to keep you safe, you're out of your damn mind

SoftEther VPN is interesting, it is relatively easy to create your own VPN server on a windows machine for free.
http://www.softether-download.com/en.as ... =softether
noddy

Post by noddy »

fwiw, i dont believe in these generic vpn systems and suspect many (most? all?) of them are either honey pots by the relevant agencies or dodgy traffic sharers which may leave you open to criminal charges at a later stage/

i do believe in encryption and being in control of your data flows, personally im throwing my 'vpn' dollars at linux hostingin various countries and i ssh tunnel things as i see fit.

this is probably too difficult for some but hey, i felt i should mention that any vpn service which is successful enough to be an ongoing system will attract the attention of certain folks that drove you to using a vpn service in the first place.

if all you want is to get around geo blocking on streaming services, its safe for the moment, maybe, depending on which FTA nightmares your gubmint has agreed to.

using a dodgy email address doesnt achieve anything and chaining your vpns is perhaps not achieving much (depending)

remember they have your ip address and what servers you connect to from the isp, this leaves much of the popular wisdom horseshit.
ultracrepidarian
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Penetration testing -- a fun project for a clever girl.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Brecher wrote:Penetration testing -- a fun project for a clever girl.
Welcome Brecher.

This is like James Bond, McGuyver and Agent 99 all in one package.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Think you are right Noddy. VPN service providers are also obliged by law to log your IP like any ISP as well as the sites you visit. It is possible though to combine VPN with Tor which skips your ISP who doesn't know you use TOR, but then again the VPN server knows. And indeed.. to go there makes you a suspect so there is cost/benefit which probably ends up nil.

I'll take alook at linux plus ssh, thanks.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Computers 'do not improve' pupil results, says OECD

Investing heavily in school computers and classroom technology does not improve pupils' performance, says a global study from the OECD.

The think tank says frequent use of computers in schools is more likely to be associated with lower results.

The OECD's education director Andreas Schleicher says school technology had raised "too many false hopes".

Tom Bennett, the government's expert on pupil behaviour, said teachers had been "dazzled" by school computers.

The report from the OECD examines the impact of school technology on international test results, such as the Pisa tests, which are taken in more than 70 countries and measure digital skills.

It says education systems which have invested heavily in information and communications technology have seen "no noticeable improvement" in Pisa test results for reading, mathematics or science.
Unplugged

"If you look at the best-performing education systems, such as those in East Asia, they've been very cautious about using technology in their classrooms," said Mr Schleicher.

"Those students who use tablets and computers very often tend to do worse than those who use them moderately."

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
noddy

Post by noddy »

with the amount of jobs now that are either directly 'computer' (programming, administration, repair) or just require proficiency in operating one, im wondering if this study is beating up a strawman.

i think the main benefit of learning a computer is being able to participate in the modern world, its not going to help any other discipline, the people that claim it will have watched too many apple ads.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:with the amount of jobs now that are either directly 'computer' (programming, administration, repair) or just require proficiency in operating one, im wondering if this study is beating up a strawman.

i think the main benefit of learning a computer is being able to participate in the modern world, its not going to help any other discipline, the people that claim it will have watched too many apple ads.
an wot is the main benfit of bean abel to particulate in the modern world?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:with the amount of jobs now that are either directly 'computer' (programming, administration, repair) or just require proficiency in operating one, im wondering if this study is beating up a strawman.

an wot is the main benfit of bean abel to particulate in the modern world?
moar tittays and moar types of beer.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

lol..thats loads of added value!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Weird how even computers (both machines and people) always lead ya back to Freud, innit?
YMix

Post by YMix »

That's like saying that the main thing I learned in school was to sit at a desk for hours, doing things I wasn't particularly interested in. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:Weird how even computers (both machines and people) always lead ya back to Freud, innit?
i seem to remember freud putting too much importance on the tittays and not enough on the beer.
YMix wrote: That's like saying that the main thing I learned in school was to sit at a desk for hours, doing things I wasn't particularly interested in. :)
cough, ermm, umm , yeh ?

despite all the protestations of the literature crowd, i seriously doubt the post gutenburg, reading for all stage led to an improvement in the skills of the artisans who previously used word of mouth.

most folks bought coffee table cat books and read girlie mags didnt they ? :P
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Weird how even computers (both machines and people) always lead ya back to Freud, innit?
i seem to remember freud putting too much importance on the tittays and not enough on the beer.
Like most intellectuals, Freud wasn't very well rounded. Hence his obsession with tittays.

I'm thinking it is time for a new brew, Mother's Milk. Package in tittay shape containers that can't be opened, but only sucked until they're dry.

do lefties drink beer in Stralia?
YMix

Post by YMix »

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YMix wrote:Image
I wonder if milennials get the Bic pen reference.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Browsers

Post by Typhoon »

The New New Vivaldi Browser.

I had used the Opera browser for years until that group did not release a 64 bit version and started to dumb their product down.
Apparently there was a split in the company. For a while Opera was owned by the planet's best e-mail service, Fastmail,
but that did not work out.

Both Google Chrome and MS Edge are okay, but each keep trying to suck one into their own private Idaho.
My preference between the two is Google as it is based on the Chromium framework.

Anyways, the Opera founders started to develop a new browser, in Iceland, aimed at the same so-called power users whose requirements Opera once met.
The new browser project is called Vivaldi and with the recent upgrade in HTML5 video support,
it is now ready to be my main browser.

As Vivaldi is also based on Chromium, it also supports all the Google extensions.

I have all third-party cookies blocked to reduce tracking.

Also have installed

Google Translate
Https Everywhere [EFF]
Adblock
Ghostery
uBlock Origin
Privacy Badger [EFF]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

What can you do with Vivaldi that you can't do with Chrome?

I should check out Privacy Badger.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Brecher wrote:What can you do with Vivaldi that you can't do with Chrome?
Vivaldi enumerates what they think sets them apart on their web site.
Brecher wrote:I should check out Privacy Badger.
Probably a good idea.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Brecher wrote:What can you do with Vivaldi that you can't do with Chrome?
Vivaldi enumerates what they think sets them apart on their web site.
Brecher wrote:I should check out Privacy Badger.
Probably a good idea.