Rand again

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
manolo

Rand again

Post by manolo »

Folks,

In the attached link, some liberal comics attack Ayn Rand using mockery. IMHO this fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8m8cQI4DgM

Rand was a good philosopher, and her thought experiment was effective. By encouraging us to think of humans as creatures of selfishness only, Rand performs a powerful philosophical reduction. As people without higher functions, Rand describes a zombie world of appetite alone and it is the vision of such a world that points up what is lacking in her picture.

This strategy has been used many times before in philosophy, with Descartes reducing our world to cogito, Wittgenstein reducing our world to language, Ayer reducing our world to logic. The list goes on. This is a game philosophers love to play, and why not? It is in the reduction that we find the value of what is not reduced.

In this search, Rand stands with the best.

Alex.
Simple Minded

Re: Rand again

Post by Simple Minded »

Alex,

You just mentioned what some at OTNOT consider to be a four-letter-word.

May the force be with you!

https://www.google.com/search?q=stand+w ... PgodBRoBbA
noddy

Post by noddy »

im glad you warned me about her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_Rand
Yvonne Rand is a "lay householder"[1] Soto Zen priest and guiding teacher of Goat-in-the-Road[2] located in Anderson Valley, Mendocino County, California. A meditation center which practices predominantly Soto Zen but also incorporates elements of Theravada and Vajrayana Buddhism, the "name Goat-in-the-Road recalls Yvonne's early rescue of young goats from a local Spring barbecue auction
seems quite dodgy - pro goat and anti bbq.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:im glad you warned me about her.

Yvonne Rand is a "lay householder"[1] Soto Zen priest and guiding teacher of Goat-in-the-Road[2] located in Anderson Valley, Mendocino County, California. A meditation center which practices predominantly Soto Zen but also incorporates elements of Theravada and Vajrayana Buddhism, the "name Goat-in-the-Road recalls Yvonne's early rescue of young goats from a local Spring barbecue auction
out of the BBQ and into the sex trade as they say....
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:

sheep with handles or sticky ribs, the kind of binary reductionist outcome that the deli llama loses sleep over.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

sheep with handles or sticky ribs, the kind of binary reductionist outcome that the deli llama loses sleep over.
When there is no Mrs. Dali Lama to help keep one focused or to cook the goat, the mind wanders.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:Alex,

SM,

In all honesty, I cannot deny that 'Rand' is a four letter word. :)

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Alex,

SM,

In all honesty, I cannot deny that 'Rand' is a four letter word. :)

Alex.
:lol: right you are.

oddly enough, so are left and rite..... ;)
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: oddly enough, so are left and rite..... ;)
SM,

You have coined a new term for the political 'rite'. :)

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: oddly enough, so are left and rite..... ;)
SM,

You have coined a new term for the political 'rite'. :)

Alex.
seemed like the rite thing to do......
noddy

Post by noddy »

wrights write on the rites of the right.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:wrights write on the rites of the right.
It ain't easy being self-righteous, or even non-self-righteous for that matter.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:

Goatsee.

It has now been said and cannot be unsaid.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

⭕϶-
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:.... even non-self-righteous for that matter.
SM,

My old philosophy prof used to say: "The only thing I can be sure of is that I may be wrong."

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:.... even non-self-righteous for that matter.
SM,

My old philosophy prof used to say: "The only thing I can be sure of is that I may be wrong."

Alex.
Timeless wisdom, from a self-conscious individual....... the kind of neighbor I enjoy. ;)
noddy

Post by noddy »

i may be wrong but the chances are far better that its the other durian who is.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:i may be wrong but the chances are far better that its the other durian who is.
The best part about being selfless is...... you're never wrong! ;)
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:i may be wrong but the chances are far better that its the other durian who is.
we are all one, my stupidity is actually yours, im just sharing because im nice like that.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
:-)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
we are all one, my stupidity is actually yours, im just sharing because im nice like that.
I feel you feeling my pain and it feels like mental masturbation. I think the intellectuals use the term confirmation bi-ass.

Misery loves company..... and it's nice to think that I'm not a f**k up, but the world is unfair, the deck is stacked against us liddle guys...... and everyone else is a f**ked as I am....... and all that good stuff.

thanks for being there for me. I'm also there for you and the rest of us...... :P