Cat News and Mews.........

This too shall pass.

Cat Questions

Do you like cats?
18%
Do you dislike cats?
3%
Do you own/parent/serve one or more cats?
14%
Do your cats have long hair?
6%
Do your cats have short hair?
14%
Do your cats like catnip, cat thyme, silver vine etc.?
12%
Are your cats purebred?
2%
Are your cats mixed breed?
15%
Do/have you parent(ed) an unusual cat.. Manx, Sphinx, Munchkin, Polydactyl, Rex, Handicapped. Blind, missing limbs, over 15 years old, other........
8%
Has one or more of your cats held political office?
8%

Total votes: 65

Typhoon

Re: Cat News and Mews.........

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

RiWVqT2sNTw
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

http://www.petmd.com/news/health-scienc ... icalxpress

Have you ever felt that your cat or dog can see something you don’t? Well, you may be right, according to a new study.

Cats, dogs, and other mammals are thought to see in ultraviolet light, which opens up a whole different world than the one we see, the study explains.

Seeing the World in Ultraviolet (UV) Light

UV light is the wave length beyond the visible light from red to violet that humans can see. Humans have a lens that blocks UV from reaching the retina. It was previously thought that most mammals have lenses similar to humans.

Scientists studied the lenses of dead mammals, including cats, dogs, monkeys, pandas, hedgehogs, and ferrets. By researching how much light passes through the lens to reach the retina, they concluded that some mammals previously thought not to be able to see UV actually can.

"Nobody ever thought these animals could see in ultraviolet, but in fact, they do," Ron Douglas, the study leader and a biologist at City University London, England, told LiveScience.

What purpose does being able to see UV light serve for animals such as reindeer, rodents, and other mammals? It allows reindeer to see polar bears, for example, which would be invisible in regular light because they blend in with the snow.

UV light also allows mammals to see urine trails. This would be helpful for prey animals, such as cats and dogs, to find food in the wild.
noddy

Post by noddy »

neat.

i managed to kill my dinky uv (ish) camera somehow :/
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:neat.

You probably got the part about UV allows you to see urine, confused with urine allows you to see UV.... inter correlated.

Water proof camera cost more.......

or night time nutscaping experiment gone wrong...?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:neat.

You probably got the part about UV allows you to see urine, confused with urine allows you to see UV.... inter correlated.

Water proof camera cost more.......

or night time nutscaping experiment gone wrong...?
i think i needed to short my static charged nuts out to the ground before dangling them.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
i think i needed to short my static charged nuts out to the ground before dangling them.
tough choice, risk the static discharge, or take the time to do it right and hook up the alligator clips....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

12191923_985029004890222_1943090614156803782_n.jpg
12191923_985029004890222_1943090614156803782_n.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
YMix

Post by YMix »

CKhx7xFEOJY
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:CKhx7xFEOJY
too cute. My wife & I have had 7 cats and 4 dogs over the last 25 years. Only one of the cats would absolutely not cuddle with the dogs under any circumstances, and only one of the dogs was very reluctant to allow the cats to cuddle with them. Interesting to see the cats slowly condition that dog into accepting them cuddling with them.

Same with a current cat and dog. Over the course of several months the cat has very methodically, and consistently increased the comfort level of the dog in allowing the cat to get close to the resting/sleeping dog. Another current dog and cat will share the same dog crate all night long.

Social beasties for sure.

Funny as hell to see a cat and dog spooning. Also very gratifying to see a cat play nurse to an injured dog or vice versa.
YMix

Post by YMix »

KNYm7dbhQDM
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Kitty

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Kitty

:lol: outstanding!
YMix

Post by YMix »

"The prophecy is true."
YMix

Post by YMix »

YMix

Post by YMix »

Palmerston the cat arrives for work at the Foreign Office

[...]

A spokesperson said in a statement: "Palmerston's domestic posting will have zero cost to the public purrse as a staff kitty will be used to pay for him and all aspects of his welfur."

The Foreign Office statement also said: "Palmerston is HM Diplomatic Service's newest arrival and in the role of FCO Chief Mouser will assist our pest controllers in keeping down the number of mice in our King Charles Street building.

[...]
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Cats, MICE & Spies...........

Post by monster_gardener »

YMix wrote:
Palmerston the cat arrives for work at the Foreign Office

[...]

A spokesperson said in a statement: "Palmerston's domestic posting will have zero cost to the public purrse as a staff kitty will be used to pay for him and all aspects of his welfur."

The Foreign Office statement also said: "Palmerston is HM Diplomatic Service's newest arrival and in the role of FCO Chief Mouser will assist our pest controllers in keeping down the number of mice in our King Charles Street building.

[...]
Thank You Very Much for your post, YMix
FCO Chief Mouser will assist our pest controllers in keeping down the number of mice
Ironic as MICE is an acronym for some of what commonly motivates spies...........

M = Money
I = Ideology
C = Coercion
E = Ego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motives_for_spying
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
jerryberry

Post by jerryberry »

Sounds like Jack Handey.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Cats seem to grasp the laws of physics

Cats understand the principle of cause and effect as well as some elements of physics. Combining these abilities with their keen sense of hearing, they can predict where possible prey hides. These are the findings of researchers from Kyoto University in Japan, led by Saho Takagi and published in Springer's journal Animal Cognition.

Previous work conducted by the Japanese team established that cats predict the presence of invisible objects based on what they hear. In the present study, the researchers wanted to find out if cats use a causal rule to infer if a container holds an object, based on whether it is shaken along with a sound or not. The team also wanted to establish if cats expect an object to fall out or not, once the container is turned over.

[...]
YMix

Post by YMix »

zXZYGz_FGok
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix

Post by YMix »