The barbarians at the gate: ISIS/ISIL

Heracleum Persicum

Re: The barbarians at the gate: ISIS/ISIL

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

NYT

Thousands Enter Syria to Join ISIS Despite Global Efforts

Nearly 30,000 foreign recruits have now poured into Syria, many to join the Islamic State, a doubling of volunteers in just the past 12 months and stark evidence that an international effort to tighten borders, share intelligence and enforce antiterrorism laws is not diminishing the ranks of new militant fighters.

Among those who have entered or tried to enter the conflict in Iraq or Syria are more than 250 Americans, up from about 100 a year ago, according to intelligence and law enforcement officials.

Nonc Hilaire

Anonymous vs. ISIL

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

FOR JOHN CHASE, THE BREAKING POINT CAME ON JAN. 7, when al Qaeda-linked militants gunned down 12 people at the Paris office of Charlie Hebdo. Subsequent attacks by a gunman affiliated with the Islamic State would take five more lives. Watching triumphant jihadi messages bounce across Twitter, the 25-year-old Boston native was incensed. They needed to be stopped.

Although Chase’s formal education ended with high school, computers were second nature to him. He had begun fiddling with code at the age of 7 and freelanced as a web designer and social media strategist. He now turned these skills to fighting the Islamic State, also known as ISIS. Centralizing other hacktivists’ efforts, he compiled a database of 26,000 Islamic State-linked Twitter accounts. He helped build a website to host the list in public view and took steps to immunize it against hacking counterattacks by Islamic State sympathizers. He even assumed an appropriately hacker-sounding nom de guerre, “XRSone,” and engaged any reporter who would listen. In doing so, Chase briefly became an unofficial spokesman for #OpISIS — and part of one of the strangest conflicts of the 21st century.

For more than a year, a ragtag collection of casual volunteers, seasoned coders, and professional trolls has waged an online war against the Islamic State and its virtual supporters. Many in this anti-Islamic State army identify with the infamous hacking collective Anonymous. They are based around the world and hail from every walk of life. They have virtually nothing in common except a passion for computers and a feeling that, with its torrent of viral-engineered propaganda and concerted online recruiting, the Islamic State has trespassed in their domain. The hacktivists have vowed to fight back. . . .
http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/11/13/ano ... nline-war/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

dmKpm_9BtHc
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Muslim Scholars | Open Letter to Al-Baghdadi
Executive Summary:

1. It is forbidden in Islam to issue fatwas without all the necessary learning requirements. Even then fatwas must follow Islamic legal theory as defined in the Classical texts. It is also forbidden to cite a portion of a verse from the Qur’an—or part of a verse—to derive a ruling without looking at everything that the Qur’an and Hadith teach related to that matter. In other words, there are strict subjective and objective prerequisites for fatwas, and one cannot ‘cherry-pick’ Qur’anic verses for legal arguments without considering the entire Qur’an and Hadith.

2. It is forbidden in Islam to issue legal rulings about anything without mastery of the Arabic language.

3. It is forbidden in Islam to oversimplify Shari’ah matters and ignore established Islamic sciences.

4. It is permissible in Islam [for scholars] to differ on any matter, except those fundamentals of religion that all Muslims must know.

5. It is forbidden in Islam to ignore the reality of contemporary times when deriving legal rulings.

6. It is forbidden in Islam to kill the innocent.

7. It is forbidden in Islam to kill emissaries, ambassadors, and diplomats; hence it is forbidden to kill journalists and aid workers.

8. Jihad in Islam is defensive war. It is not permissible without the right cause, the right purpose and without the right rules of conduct.

9. It is forbidden in Islam to declare people non-Muslim unless he (or she) openly declares disbelief.

10. It is forbidden in Islam to harm or mistreat—in any way—Christians or any ‘People of the Scripture’.

11. It is obligatory to consider Yazidis as People of the Scripture.

12. The re-introduction of slavery is forbidden in Islam. It was abolished by universal consensus.

13. It is forbidden in Islam to force people to convert.

14. It is forbidden in Islam to deny women their rights.

15. It is forbidden in Islam to deny children their rights.

16. It is forbidden in Islam to enact legal punishments (hudud) without following the correct
procedures that ensure justice and mercy.

17. It is forbidden in Islam to torture people.

18. It is forbidden in Islam to disfigure the dead.

19. It is forbidden in Islam to attribute evil acts to God.

20. It is forbidden in Islam to destroy the graves and shrines of Prophets and Companions.

21. Armed insurrection is forbidden in Islam for any reason other than clear disbelief by the ruler and not allowing people to pray.

22. It is forbidden in Islam to declare a caliphate without consensus from all Muslims.

23. Loyalty to one’s nation is permissible in Islam.

24. After the death of the Prophet, Islam does not require anyone to emigrate anywhere.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:Muslim Scholars | Open Letter to Al-Baghdadi
Executive Summary:

1. It is forbidden in Islam to issue fatwas without all the necessary learning requirements. Even then fatwas must follow Islamic legal theory as defined in the Classical texts. It is also forbidden to cite a portion of a verse from the Qur’an—or part of a verse—to derive a ruling without looking at everything that the Qur’an and Hadith teach related to that matter. In other words, there are strict subjective and objective prerequisites for fatwas, and one cannot ‘cherry-pick’ Qur’anic verses for legal arguments without considering the entire Qur’an and Hadith.

2. It is forbidden in Islam to issue legal rulings about anything without mastery of the Arabic language.

3. It is forbidden in Islam to oversimplify Shari’ah matters and ignore established Islamic sciences.

4. It is permissible in Islam [for scholars] to differ on any matter, except those fundamentals of religion that all Muslims must know.

5. It is forbidden in Islam to ignore the reality of contemporary times when deriving legal rulings.

7. It is forbidden in Islam to kill emissaries, ambassadors, and diplomats; hence it is forbidden to kill journalists and aid workers.

8. Jihad in Islam is defensive war. It is not permissible without the right cause, the right purpose and without the right rules of conduct.

9. It is forbidden in Islam to declare people non-Muslim unless he (or she) openly declares disbelief.

10. It is forbidden in Islam to harm or mistreat—in any way—Christians or any ‘People of the Scripture’.

12. The re-introduction of slavery is forbidden in Islam. It was abolished by universal consensus.

16. It is forbidden in Islam to enact legal punishments (hudud) without following the correct

20. It is forbidden in Islam to destroy the graves and shrines of Prophets and Companions.

21. Armed insurrection is forbidden in Islam for any reason other than clear disbelief by the ruler and not allowing people to pray.

22. It is forbidden in Islam to declare a caliphate without consensus from all Muslims.

24. After the death of the Prophet, Islam does not require anyone to emigrate anywhere.

What is happening in Middle East, has ZERO to do with Islam or religion .. OIL & GAS

Americans and Europeans wanted Qatari Gas piped to Europe .. the Pipe had to go through Syria (and Turkey)

That's why they decided Assad has to go as Assad was with Iran

Now, sh*t has hit the fan

Yemen war and this ISIS rubbish will bring the end of Sheikhs & Amirs & Kings

Dramatic changes ahead

West will be main loser, as western cronies will fall, Iran will come out stronger.

Already happening.

mad mullahs just laughing

Doc

In 4 days Anonymous does more than against ISIS than Obama

Post by Doc »

ever has

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/11/1 ... -accounts/
Anonymous Just Took Down Thousands of ISIS Twitter Accounts

by Allum Bokhari17 Nov 2015313
Defying expectations, the loose-knit online group Anonymous has landed a blow against the Islamic State’s online presence.

After ‘declaring war’ on ISIS this weekend, the amorphous hacking collective reports that over 5,500 ISIS-affiliated accounts on Twitter have been exposed and taken down.

Since the weekend, Anonymous have been tracking down the Twitter accounts of ISIS supporters, compiling them in online documents, and reporting them to Twitter for suspension. While it is hard to verify the 5,500 figure, online lists seen by Breitbart Tech suggests that the number of ISIS accounts suspended as a result of Anonymous’ efforts number in the thousands.

Many, including myself, were sceptical of Anonymous’ ability to achieve any measurable results against the Islamic State. It is time for a mea culpa. While the militants behind the ISIS Twitter accounts are not harmed, there is no question that Anonymous’ operation has impacted the Islamic State’s ability to disseminate propaganda and communicate with its supporters on the internet.

In doing so, it has filled a gap left glaringly absent by Twitter, a company that leaps into action to suspend users whenever a feminist or a Black Lives Matter activist feels offended, but has made little effort to track down the vast numbers of ISIS operatives using the platform.

As I elaborated in my last piece, Anonymous has been ridiculed in many quarters of the internet. Their symbols have been co-opted by wacky progressives, a low point being the “Million Mask Marches,” which often look like little more than Occupy Wall Street tribute acts. Their once-feared reputation has also crumbled over the years, as amateurs and teenagers sought to claim the “Anonymous” mantle with ill-conceived ‘ops.’

(Ops are Anonymous’ signature phrase for collective missions. They call their war against ISIS ‘#OpParis’.)

Nevertheless, Anonymous’ latest Op appears to be bearing fruit. Galvanised by the groups’s online call to arms on Saturday, which has now been viewed over 5.5million times, tens of thousands of anonymous web users have been contributing to OpParis, tracking down ISIS accounts and reporting them to Twitter.

With estimates of the number of suspended ISIS accounts ranging up to the thousands, Anonymous can now claim to have done considerably more to damage ISIS than Facebook users adding tricolour flags to their profiles. Indeed, Anonymous is even doing more than some western countries, many of which still refuse to participate in the fight against ISIS. Suspending Twitter accounts may not be much, but it’s something.

Anonymous have always seemed like the bin-men of the internet. They aren’t very fashionable, and few like to be seen next to them. But they remain the best at what they do: tracking down bad guys. Once it was cat abusers. Now it’s terrorists.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Executive Summary:

Yet Baghdadi has a Phd. in Islamic theology from the university of Baghdad, and leads a "caliphate" that is now in 11 countries.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: In 4 days Anonymous does more than against ISIS than Oba

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I know I'm supposed to cheer Anonymous here, but I can't stand Anonymous; they are bullies without consistency. And I guarantee you that shutting down those very obvious channels of ISIS communication on social media hurts our intelligence on the group far more than it helps to slow them down.

Anonymous is the power fantasy of little boys lighting fuses just to see what happens. Dumb.
noddy

Post by noddy »

everyone loves a good pitchfork brigade.

--
fwiw, its a zero skill activity data mining twitter, nothing hackerish or clever about it.
Last edited by noddy on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:everyone loves a good pitchfork brigade.

--
fwiw, its a zero skill activity data mining twitter, nothing hackerish or clever about it.
Right, it's nothing terribly impressive
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Still more than obama.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

not really.

as nap said, the terrorists stupid enough to post their plans in public are a vital resource and these idiots have now ruined it.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It seems obvious now that the obama administration didn't even look at the public plans.
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:..... the power fantasy of little boys lighting fuses just to see what happens. Dumb.
Nap,

That is a beautiful phrase that take me back to my "Lord of the Flies" childhood. Thanks for the memories! :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

New Statesman | Wahhabism to ISIS: how Saudi Arabia exported the main source of global terrorism
Although IS is certainly an Islamic movement, it is neither typical nor mired in the distant past, because its roots are in Wahhabism, a form of Islam practised in Saudi Arabia that developed only in the 18th century.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:Image
Please precede with a "trigger warning" so that I don't spew coffee over my workstation:
coffee-keyboard.gif
coffee-keyboard.gif (54.33 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
YMix

Post by YMix »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Still more than Obama.
Pat Buchanan wrote:Among the presidential candidates of the Republican Party and their foreign policy leaders on Capitol Hill the cry is almost universal:

Barack Obama has no strategy for winning the war on ISIS.

This criticism, however, sounds strange coming from a party that controls Congress but has yet to devise its own strategy, or even to authorize the use of U.S. military force in Syria.

Congress has punted. And compared to the cacophony from Republican ranks, Barack Obama sounds like Prince Bismarck.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote:
Executive Summary:

[...]

Yet Baghdadi has a Phd. in Islamic theology from the university of Baghdad, and leads a "caliphate" that is now in 11 countries.
This is because all Islamic theology tries to do the impossible: make human interpretation and tradition comply with an assumed divine revelation in a holy book that is hierarchic and authoritarian in nature.

If the Quranic texts were not too complicated and internally consistent it would not be such a big problem. For instance when all believers are told to walk in the streets always with their left hand in their pocket and not much else... not much fuel to disagree would be available. If however the messages become obscure or even worse contradictory.. that will always make sure holy texts create nothing but trouble, confusion, obscurantism. Different schools of theology pop up everywhere mush rooming all over the place with scholars who claim they concocted the latest, final or best interpretation and are in the know of what Allah wants from his believers, how to think about non-believers, when to use violence or not. (Meta-physicists in general of course never agree about anything much...what's new)

The Allah of the Quran, just like the God of the Old en New testament... is the arche-typical tribal patriarch who demands loyalty and worship, who needs sacrifices to stay happy and remain self-assured in his leadership role. He has good days where he is more relaxed and forgiving, becoming all poetic about love flowers happiness in his Family.. but on other days he is a paranoid prick dictator becoming extremely violent and foaming around the mouth about people who are not loyal, who serve other Gods, the worst are those who betray him: "who leave the faith" or challenge his authority.

Despite the wonderful declaration Typhoon quoted, it misses the point and problem of the toxic core in the Islamic faith and quranic texts; the multiple personality disorder and mood swings of their divine leader in heaven. Muhammad was a good replica of that though: he could speak mellow and sweat, reasonable even.. but when his leadership status was challenged internally or externally, he had no problem murder the males and enslave the females and children among his enemies.

To quote Kmich: "Nothing good will ever come out of this."
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AFP | Iraq declares Ramadi liberated from Daesh, sweeps for bombs
Ramadi (Iraq) (AFP) - Iraq declared the city of Ramadi liberated from the Islamic State group Monday and raised the national flag over its government complex after clinching a landmark victory against the jihadists

Pockets of jihadists may remain, but the army said it no longer faced any resistance in the city and that its main task was to defuse countless bombs and traps.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I don't think a "Ph.D. In Islamic Theology" even exists.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

It costs money to run a war. Lots of it.

What are the sources of Daesh's funds?
YMix

Post by YMix »

KSA and some of its buddies.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:KSA and some of its buddies.
If that is the case, then another data point demonstrating that the USA's so-called "War on Terror" is an abject joke.
bush-kisses-saudi-prince-4-15-09.png
bush-kisses-saudi-prince-4-15-09.png (202.67 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
That would make USA politicians going on about "ISIS in Canada" either gobsmacking naive and stupid or engaging in purposeful misdirection and thus acting against the interests of their nation.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:It costs money to run a war. Lots of it.

What are the sources of Daesh's funds?
The Grand Mufti claim ISIS is part of the Israeli army.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/markaz/p ... ael-riedel

Teresa of Ávila