Multiculturalism

This too shall pass.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Multiculturalism

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Your ignorance of foreign cultures is showing again.

And, yes, really.
Not really no. Geisha=Burka to many.
Censorship isn't necessary
YMix

Post by YMix »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Not really no. Geisha=Burka to many.
Never heard that one before.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I'm sure you haven't.
YMix

Post by YMix »

If I remember correctly, Geisha were entertainers and hostesses. How do you get from that to burka?
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Do they not have feminism in your country.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Some. It's a fringe movement.
noddy

Post by noddy »

america most certainly doesnt have any chicks who make a living extracting dollars from lonely businessmen looking for company at bars and hotels.
what was the topic again ?
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote:Some. It's a fringe movement.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Not really no. Geisha=Burka to many.
Never heard that one before.
Don't feel bad, YMix, OTNOT is expanding my horizons also......
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YMix wrote:Some. It's a fringe movement.
Iranian belly dancers are my favorite fringe movement.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:Image
Well, the rabbit is a fertility symbol.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

And, yes, really.
All that demonstrates is a remarkable level of ignorance of the "many".
What of it?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:america most certainly doesnt have any chicks who make a living extracting dollars from lonely businessmen looking for company at bars and hotels.
what was the topic again ?
99.9% of J-businessmen have never been in the company of a geisha* at a teahouse in Gion along, say, Sirakawa-minami dori [street]:
1/ they can't afford it and 2/ don't have the connections for the required introduction.

What you are referring to is known in Japan as mizu-shōbai or water business which ranges from high end kyabakura - hostess bars [no sex, only talk], to low end snack-bars [no sex, only talk], to soaplands [rub and tug], to various other highly specialized services, to enjo kosai - compensated dating a.k.a. prostitution [sex, talk optional].

*Geisha, btw, tend to be women of a certain age as it takes years of intensive training to achieve their musical, dance, story telling, and other accomplished hostess skills. What most people think of when they think of geisha are maiko: training-to-be-geisha.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

And, yes, really.
If you're talking about geisha, then why did you post an image of a maiko?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Bogan (Australia)
Villero or Negro Villero (Argentina)
Baraki (Belgium)
Favelado, Maloqueiro ou Pé-Rapado (Brazil)
Hoser (Canada)
Flaite (Chile)
Guajiro (Cuba)
Ñero (Colombia)
Polo (Costa Rica)
Brian (male) and Conny (female) (Denmark)
Juntti (Finland)
Beauf (France)
Prolet (Germany, page in German)
Mprahamiotes (Greece)
Asi (Germany)
Alay (Indonesia)
Javad (Iran)
Bogger (Ireland)
Scanger (Ireland)
Ars or ערס (Israel)
Tamarro, Cafone is the term more similar to the bogan or redneck concept (Italy)
Inakamono (Japan)
Marozas (Lithuania)
Naco (Mexico)
Tokkie (Netherlands)
Spide (Northern Ireland)
Jejemon (Philippines)
Dres (Poland)
Bougon / (Quebec/Canada)
Gopnik (Russia)
Ned (Scotland)
Bam (Scotland)
Ah Beng (Singapore/Malaysia)
Zef (South Africa)
Hortera/Pokero/Cani (Spain)
Raggare (Sweden)
Shawie or شاوي (Syria)
Barzo (Turkey)
Chav (UK)
Pikey (UK)
Scallie (UK and Ireland)
Hoopie (United States)
Redneck (United States and Canada)
Skid (United States and Canada)
Skeet (Newfoundland) (Newfoundland, Canada)
White Trash (United States and Canada)
Plancha/Baraja/Terraja (Uruguay)

--
i acquired this list from wikipedia.

romania seems to be missing tho my own searching suggests cocalar.

the arabs dont seem to have a word for it, does this mean everyone or noone is a bogan ? :-)

how much more multicultural could one get than the list of people who would poke it with a stick first.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:romania seems to be missing tho my own searching suggests cocalar.
Sort of. As far as I know, cocalar is a gypsy word and it originally meant gypsy trash. The gypsy families still pass the traditional crafts down the generations: aurar (goldsmith), argintar (silversmith), lingurar (spoonmaker) etc. Cocalarii were gypsies who knew no craft and made their living by digging in the other gypsies' trash and feeding on whatever they could find (from kokalo - bone). A gypsy's gypsy. The word passed into Romanian slang to designate solely urban white trash, young people who, by their values, tastes and behavior, might as well be gypsies.
noddy

Post by noddy »

neat tah - personally i make a distinction between bogans/rednecks and white trash , so it sounds like they are the latter.

bogans are ignorant and proud of it, like drinking and bbq meat and see no need to complicate life more than but still work and keep their own worlds afloat without others to provide for them.

does romania have a word for that group ?
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:does romania have a word for that group ?
No, but I expect my language to acquire at some point. "Ignorant and proud about it" wasn't common behavior around here, but it may grow into a movement mainly through the influence of hip-hop.
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote:
noddy wrote:does romania have a word for that group ?
No, but I expect my language to acquire at some point. "Ignorant and proud about it" wasn't common behavior around here, but it may grow into a movement mainly through the influence of hip-hop.
really ? i find that surprising.

every group ive met has a subset that doesnt care for whats beyond the things they like.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:really ? i find that surprising.

every group ive met has a subset that doesnt care for whats beyond the things they like.
We have that subset here, but their attitude doesn't translate into a general love of ignorance. Cocalarii put wealth and the acquisition of wealth far above education, but they still have to interact with more or less educated people in order to make and manage money. The pejorative phrase "book learning" doesn't have an equivalent in Romanian, either. "A vorbi ca din cărți" (to talk as they do in books) meant showing both the ability to make a complicated argument and mastery of the language.
noddy

Post by noddy »

We have that subset here, but their attitude doesn't translate into a general love of ignorance. Cocalarii put wealth and the acquisition of wealth far above education, but they still have to interact with more or less educated people in order to make and manage money. The pejorative phrase "book learning" doesn't have an equivalent in Romanian, either. "A vorbi ca din cărți" (to talk as they do in books) meant showing both the ability to make a complicated argument and mastery of the language.
to be more accuate, the real rednecks arent always so proud to be ignorant, its only the caricature ones that go there and that tends to be the urban ones who have nothing in their lives and wish they where rednecks, the white trash.

all the best ones have a surprising amount of hidden hobbies and skills and will treat all people decently unless they have a reason otherwise.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:all the best ones have a surprising amount of hidden hobbies and skills and will treat all people decently unless they have a reason otherwise.
True.
noddy

Post by noddy »

im still getting a chuckle from the gypsies gypsy concept, i like that.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: . . .

all the best ones have a surprising amount of hidden hobbies and skills and will treat all people decently unless they have a reason otherwise.
Indeed.

I suppose I should be glad that my name is not Brian and that I don't live in Denmark.

In Japan, as one might expect, the analogous concept of "white trash" has a number of specialized sub-cultures.

Probably most prevalent youth version: with apologies to our American posters.

ヤンキー | Yankii: a J-phonetization of the English - American "Yankee". Probably most similar to UK chavs.
Male version drops out of high school to typically work in construction. Female version also drops out of high school gets married very early and has kids.
The often repeated stereotype is that a yankii couple shows up at the Coming-of-Age Day ceremony, held for 20 year olds, with one or more kids in tow.
This being Japan, unlike chavs or white trash, yankii social structure is highly organized in a strict pyramidal hierarchy.

However, this is mostly an urban phenomenon.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
noddy wrote: . . .

Indeed.

I suppose I should be glad that my name is not Brian and that I don't live in Denmark.

In Japan, as one might expect, the analogous concept of "white trash" has a number of specialized sub-cultures.

Probably most prevalent youth version: with apologies to our American posters.

ヤンキー | Yankii: a J-phonetization of the English - American "Yankee". Probably most similar to UK chavs.
Male version drops out of high school to typically work in construction. Female version also drops out of high school gets married very early and has kids.
The often repeated stereotype is that a yankii couple shows up at the Coming-of-Age Day ceremony, held for 20 year olds, with one or more kids in tow.
This being Japan, unlike chavs or white trash, yankii social structure is highly organized in a strict pyramidal hierarchy.

However, this is mostly an urban phenomenon.
No pologies necessary. We ain't nothin if we ain't multi-cultural. All y'all got organized social structures fer rednecks over there? How Japanese can you get?

Please send me a list of the in-breeding protocols.... in English.