Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?

Mr. Perfect

Re: Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America

Post by Mr. Perfect »

doPMpVd8tFg
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ao6BMNVaCeI
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

RM9uH4XgOmI
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

M7euhRIR4Ww
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Guess what, people...... it's time for another movement.....=^^=.........

Defend Boyle Heights, MF. Make that sh1t crack!!.........

Still haven't apologised for your existence yeet? Get skooled, MF........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?

Guess which state has the highest poverty rate in the country? Not Mississippi, New Mexico, or West Virginia, but California, where nearly one out of five residents is poor. That's according to the Census Bureau's Supplemental Poverty Measure, which factors in the cost of housing, food, utilities and clothing, and which includes noncash government assistance as a form of income.

Given robust job growth and the prosperity generated by several industries, it's worth asking why California has fallen behind, especially when the state's per-capita GDP increased approximately twice as much as the U.S. average over the five years ending in 2016 (12.5%, compared with 6.27%).

It's not as though California policymakers have neglected to wage war on poverty. Sacramento and local governments have spent massive amounts in the cause. Several state and municipal benefit programs overlap with one another; in some cases, individuals with incomes 200% above the poverty line receive benefits. California state and local governments spent nearly $958 billion from 1992 through 2015 on public welfare programs, including cash-assistance payments, vendor payments and "other public welfare," according to the Census Bureau. California, with 12% of the American population, is home today to about one in three of the nation's welfare recipients.

California Democrats have long been free to indulge blue-state ideology while paying little or no political price.

The generous spending, then, has not only failed to decrease poverty; it actually seems to have made it worse.
Only "intellectuals" are incapable of understanding the cause-effect relationship of perverse incentives.

Splaining don't help them much......
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Guess what, people...... it's time for another movement.....=^^=.........

Amazing. There really are an unlimited number of parallel universes out there......

In ORZ: "Show me your friends, I'll show you your future."
noddy

Post by noddy »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Guess what, people...... it's time for another movement.....=^^=.........

Ive been waiting for this backlash for a long time now - 5-10 years i should even get a taste of it in my country... thank f*ck.

the current situation of government regulations on minimum standards and high middle class immigration is creating an awfully large underclass of working poor that cant afford to live.

AIUI, only texas in america is allowing the environmental destruction to avoid the price increases.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

very similar to what happened in Zimbabwe, and what is currently happening in South Africa. Natives rebelling against and expelling new comers.

Not too hard to understand why local government in CA does not want these malcontents having access to guns.

An interesting poll question to ask the demonstration observers "Does watching this demonstration make you more likely to buy a gun for your own self-defense, or more likely to support gun laws to prevent these people from getting access to guns?"
noddy

Post by noddy »

if your going to kick people out of their homes and lifestyles , passive aggressive doesnt always cut it.

gentrification suits property prices for middle class folks demanding fat retirement packages, its debatable how much it suits everyone else.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:if your going to kick people out of their homes and lifestyles , passive aggressive doesnt always cut it.

gentrification suits property prices for middle class folks demanding fat retirement packages, its debatable how much it suits everyone else.
agreed. gentrification seems like Nouveau non-riche yuppie wannabe speak for the local grow and decay process that seems to be part of life almost everywhere things are not regulated completely. You know, like the upper 5% of the 99% hipsterspeak that allows them to be both condescendingly superior and a victim simultaneously.

My wife's hometown still has not returned to the level of prosperity they had 120 years ago. Some locals fight tooth and nail, any attempted entry of new business and industry, while at the same time bemoaning the fact that the young people leave in droves due to no economic opportunity.

Even though I was not privileged enough to be born into one of the most expensive zip codes in the nation, I still moved 5 times in search of opportunity. Now I have a higher quality life at a lower cost than my childhood peers who remained in my hometown.

Declaring open season on the wealthy who dare to enter "our homelands" will eventually drive down property prices, but with the tax base decimated, the remaining righteous will bitch about their higher tax rates.

It is a tough problem to solve. Very, very localized specifics. It would be fascinating to interview the demonstrators individually to learn:
a. What percentage of them f**ked up their lives voluntarily and happily while declaring their self a "victim of society."
b. What percentage of them are in dire straights due to circumstances beyond their control even if they did everything right.
c. What prescriptions they would have for the local leaders? Do they even know the names of the local mayors and city council members?
d. How did they get to their current state? Do they have several $1,000 worth of tattoos and body piercings that may limit their personal marketability? Are they driving brand new expensive vehicles? Do they eat out all the time or are they living on peanut butter and jelly and pasta?

So many variables, tough to generalize. The least amount of useful information possible to be gathered will be from listening to the chants of the mob.

Hard for those living in the extremely expensive zipcodes of the CA coast to "Go West young person of unspecified gender."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

And then there's the climate.

Better to be homeless in San Diego, CA than in Minneapolis, MN.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: a. What percentage of them f**ked up their lives voluntarily and happily while declaring their self a "victim of society."
b. What percentage of them are in dire straights due to circumstances beyond their control even if they did everything right.
c. What prescriptions they would have for the local leaders? Do they even know the names of the local mayors and city council members?
d. How did they get to their current state? Do they have several $1,000 worth of tattoos and body piercings that may limit their personal marketability? Are they driving brand new expensive vehicles? Do they eat out all the time or are they living on peanut butter and jelly and pasta?

So many variables, tough to generalize.
you seem to have done a cracking job of it :)

i get that keep on moving is the way to avoid it for some individuals - its what I also have done.

Im not sure millions can do it.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Feudalism 2.0

Post by Typhoon »

City Journal | Left and Lefter in California
The California Democratic Party’s refusal to endorse the reelection of Senator Dianne Feinstein represents a breaking point both for the state’s progressives and, arguably, the future of the party nationwide. Feinstein symbolizes, if anyone does, the old Democratic establishment that, while far from conservative, nevertheless appealed to many mainstream businesses and affluent suburban voters. The rejection of Feinstein reveals the eclipse of the moderate, mainstream Democratic Party, and the rise of Green and identity-oriented politics, appealing to the coastal gentry . It offers little to traditional middle-class Democrats and even less to those further afield, in places like the industrial Midwest or the South. In these parts of the country, bread-and-butter issues that concern families remain more persuasive than gestural politics.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:And then there's the climate.

Better to be homeless in San Diego, CA than in Minneapolis, MN.
That is a yuge factor. also lots of tax money spent on homeless programs is not only compassionate, it is a magnet.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
you seem to have done a cracking job of it :)

i get that keep on moving is the way to avoid it for some individuals - its what I also have done.

Im not sure millions can do it.
I'm old enough to remember when "rent control" was the hipster prescription for gentrification.

millions can't do it. but the generalization of "I'm a victim of gentrification," is much like the similar generalizations of "I'm a victim of blank-ism du jour,"or "I'm a victim of the oppressive blank community du jour."

each claim requires individual case by case examination, but when those investigative resources are lacking, it's a great justification for making some noise and breaking some lavender.

and those selfies are a lot more fun and entertaining than picture of what you ate for breakfast......

f**k me. I don't even know Fred so how can I care? but I do know someone similar to Fred..... that's pretty much the same thing.... right? so, by associative compassion, I really is a good person......
noddy

Post by noddy »

well its not like I care per-se - Im not going to do anything about it :)

rent control is a silly solution, nor arguments there... the only solution is ghettos of dense cheap public housing or less people!

In Australia ive noticed that the pattern is that gentrification can only be maintained with fresh middle class imports from overseas because we have largely stopped producing our own middle class.

Im not sure I can blame the idiots at the bottom, even if they are idiots - a society with no place for the bottom half is going to cop the consequences good and hard.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:well its not like I care per-se - Im not going to do anything about it :)

rent control is a silly solution, nor arguments there... the only solution is ghettos of dense cheap public housing or less people!

In Australia ive noticed that the pattern is that gentrification can only be maintained with fresh middle class imports from overseas because we have largely stopped producing our own middle class.

Im not sure I can blame the idiots at the bottom, even if they are idiots - a society with no place for the bottom half is going to cop the consequences good and hard.
no worries here either mate. Gentrification affects about the same percentage of the population in the US as does the lack of public toilets that are specifically marked for those born as white, female humans, but who now choose to self identify as trans gendered, trans racial brown, males.

the beauty of 39,000+ zip codes as a practical solution.

I can't afford to live next to Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, Mike Bloomberg, Mark Zuckerberg, Michael Jordon, Barack Obama, or 99% of the rich lefties who claim they really, really care about people like me (but who hire armed security to keep people like me away from them). Anyone who does not see that as proof that the f**king whole system over here is broken is some kind of (insert favorite SJ adjective here) hater.

Freedom of association sucks when other people think you're a loser........ :(

Personally, I'm still working removing that flaw from those other wankers..... but they're really stubborn.....
Last edited by Simple Minded on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy,

I just had an epiphany!

The 99% of the rich lefties who claim they really, really care about people like me, but who hire armed security to keep people like me away from them..... should hire people like me to live with them, carry a gun, and hang out with them.... to protect them.

Solving the gentrification problem was a lot easier than I thought it would be......
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:noddy,

I just had an epiphany!

The 99% of the rich lefties who claim they really, really care about people like me, but who hire armed security to keep people like me away from them..... should hire people like me to live with them, carry a gun, and hang out with them.... to protect them.

Solving the gentrification problem was a lot easier than I thought it would be......

They wouldn't stand a chance.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

C5WdnfccZuY
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

I just had an epiphany!

yehnah.

you end up on tv with a blanket over your head for being violent, the reasons you ended up having to be violent are not relevant.

eg: any security guard in a gated neighborhood who shot a person who wasnt white.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

I just had an epiphany!

yehnah.

you end up on tv with a blanket over your head for being violent, the reasons you ended up having to be violent are not relevant.

eg: any security guard in a gated neighborhood who shot a person who wasnt white.
:( it's thinking like that that keeps us mired in our current situation.....
while I regret awarding it, you have earned your participation trophy
Attachments
dilbert.gif
dilbert.gif (162.17 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:

I just had an epiphany!

yehnah.

:( it's thinking like that that keeps us mired in our current situation.....
while I regret awarding it, you have earned your participation trophy

Obama got to go to Oslo to get his Nobel peace prize participation trophy and all you are giving noddy is a simple participation trophy even though Noddy has done so much more?
noddy

Post by noddy »

I am proud to receive this prestigious award and would like to thank my family and various deities.

is it authentic anodized aluminium ? ill be needing an accurate smelter valuation
ultracrepidarian