Japan

Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote: . . .

I don't know what will happen to Japan compared to the US 15-20 years from now, but one thing's for sure. That nation will either prove to be incredibly, incredibly stupid and shortsighted or incredibly, incredibly brilliant and prescient in the policies they have chose to enact and not to enact. I'm not sure this duality of outcomes is available to America.
An interesting idea.

The Bubble Economy Era was certainly a time of economic and financial hubris. One could argue that the post-bubble problems are still ongoing.

Japan currently has the largest ratio of pubic debt to GDP of any nation: ~ 230% by IMF reckoning.

However, 1/ the yield on the 10 year JGB is 0.90%; and 2/ this is debt that Japan owes mostly to it's citizens.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Ammianus wrote:.

I don't know what will happen to Japan compared to the US 15-20 years from now, but one thing's for sure. That nation will either prove to be incredibly, incredibly stupid and shortsighted or incredibly, incredibly brilliant and prescient in the policies they have chose to enact and not to enact. I'm not sure this duality of outcomes is available to America.

If America would have stuck with "white only" Anglo, like Australia or Canada (till 40 yrs ago)

if so

there would be no silicon valley, no Apple, no Intel, no Google and many many other things

Japan, most probably, in present form and importance, will not exist in 50 yrs .. the chance for that to happen is over 50%

Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Well, I don't think any country is going to exist in its present form in 50 years (except Israel and Palestine). Not Japan. Not the US. Not Iran. That said, my impression of the big 3 East Asian societies is that they would prefer dying with a whimper to accepting Western/European-style ethnic diversity. To each his own, I say.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:Well, I don't think any country is going to exist in its present form in 50 years (except Israel and Palestine). Not Japan. Not the US. Not Iran.
Indeed.
Zack Morris wrote:That said, my impression of the big 3 East Asian societies is that they would prefer dying with a whimper to accepting Western/European-style ethnic diversity. To each his own, I say.
Not sure how you define the Big 3 Asian societies.

By population: China, India, and Indonesia.

China already has many different ethnicities and great cultural variation between provinces with at least 10 different dialects some of which are completely incomprehensible to native Mandarin speakers.

China is what Europe would have been if Charlemagne had conquered and unified all of Europe under a common alphabet and grammar and established a successful imperial dynasty.

India currently has 22 official languages; 20 besides Hindi and English.

The winner of the first Indian Idol contest:

7LivAYyhrwM

There are 735 languages spoken in the Indonesian archipelago.

By economy: Japan, China, and India.

Japan is certainly quite homogeneous. However, the number of foreigner in Japan has been steadily increasing:

Also perceptions of foreigners had changed significantly over the last 20 years and even over the last 10.

For example, it's been decades since an guy was automatically transformed into Charisma Man in Kansai simple by being Caucasian. :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Japan the Same in 50 years except for more robots.....

Post by monster_gardener »

Zack Morris wrote:Well, I don't think any country is going to exist in its present form in 50 years (except Israel and Palestine). Not Japan. Not the US. Not Iran. That said, my impression of the big 3 East Asian societies is that they would prefer dying with a whimper to accepting Western/European-style ethnic diversity. To each his own, I say.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Zack Morris.
Well, I don't think any country is going to exist in its present form in 50 years (except Israel and Palestine).
I presume you are being ironic about Israel and Palestine.......... If not please explain.

IMVHO Japan has a better chance than the ME of being more or less unchanged in 50 years except for lots more robots..........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Finally - Japan Nuclear Power-Free

Japanese utility Hokkaido Electric Power began shutting the country's last active nuclear reactor on Saturday, leaving the world's third-biggest user of atomic energy with no nuclear-derived electricity for the first time since 1970.

Look folks

name of the game is GAS

and

Gas Turbines

GE (General Electric) .. CHK (Chesapeake Energy) .. LNG (Cheniere Energy)

to name a few

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

It is beyond dumb for Japan to not have developed it's own safe nuclear reactor design.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon wrote:.
It is beyond dumb for Japan to not have developed it's own safe nuclear reactor design.

Japan to Nationalize Nuclear Utility

TOKYO — Japan is set to nationalize Tokyo Electric Power, the operator of the ravaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, under a ¥1 trillion bailout plan approved Wednesd

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A Canadian of Iranian descent with a fetish for negative news, real or imagined, from Japan.

Who could have imagined it?
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon wrote:
A Canadian of Iranian descent with a fetish for negative news, real or imagined, from Japan.

Who could have imagined it ?

Canadian of Iranian decent ? ? ? ?

Come on, Colonel, come on

As Iranian as one would imagine, to the bone

Those Iranians in villages and towns, they rely on their educated sons (and daughters) to defend their cause, that is what we (I) owe them

and ..

there is so much negative, bad news, in this world

why do I only post Japanese news ?

Reason is, I have a special warm feelings for Japan, special relation

and

know Japan deserves better

so

Please do take my posts as constructive and positive critics

Look, Colonel

In East, very much in Japan too, FACE, keeping face, is very important

That is one of negative aspects of the east

putting that (keeping face) aside, one enters the real freedom

so

nothing wrong if Japan debates why this and why that

this no weakness, but strength of a nation

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Japan, as does any nation, face a number of serious challenges.

In the specific case of Japan:

The too high JPY;

The national debt at ~ 200% of GDP;

The large and growing number of elderly who require constant care;

The challenge to high value added manufacturing posed by S Korea, Taiwan, and China;

The need to import all carbon fuels;

The inbred, insular, and self-serving politicians and govt bureaucrats with little connection with reality; and

Various cultural and structural impediments to meaningful reform

However, contemplating suicide is not one of those serious problems.
monster_gardener

National Fault List...........

AzariLoveIran wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Those Iranians in villages and towns, they rely on their educated sons (and daughters) to defend their cause, that is what we (I) owe them

and ..

and

so

Look, Colonel

so

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.
Since our good host, Typhoon, has listed Japan's problems.

Would you like to list Iran's inherent problems other than "noble" flaws such as not exterminating the Dwarves oops I mean Jews 2600 years ago and continuing ...... ;)

Or things like making bad Halva (Hat tip to Ymix)

To play fair, I'll again mention a few flaws that some of Uz have

Perhaps the biggest is not thinking long term enough which results in.............

Electing Dumbasses like Bush who are creatures of the FIRE Klown Bankster Financial elite of all races and who want to teach Democracy to Orcs when the what needs to be taught is concealed gun carry to the Lady Orcs :twisted:

Electing Smart but oversexed Jackasses like Clinton who are creatures of the FIRE Klown Bankster Financial elite of all races and won't call a shot on one Arab oops I mean Orc Chieftain, Osama Sam ;) , because he was afraid he might hurt another Orc Chieftain.........

Electing lying, conniving Orc at Hearts like Obama who are creatures of the FIRE Klown Bankster Financial elite of all races who spend worse than a drunken sailor on anything green and secretly send guns to Mexico in a conspiracy to deprive Uz of our right to bear arms * etc............

Just a start......... We Uz have more........

*Or arm Bears ;) ......... As we did in WW2.........
AzariLoveIran

Re: National Fault List...........

Post by AzariLoveIran »

monster_gardener wrote:.
AzariLoveIran wrote:.
Typhoon wrote:.

and ..

and

so

Look, Colonel

so

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.
Since our good host, Typhoon, has listed Japan's problems.

Would you like to list Iran's inherent problems other than "noble" flaws such as not exterminating the Dwarves oops I mean Jews 2600 years ago and continuing ...... ;)

Or things like making bad Halva (Hat tip to Ymix)

To play fair, I'll again mention a few flaws that some of Uz have

Perhaps the biggest is not thinking long term enough which results in.............

Electing Dumbasses like Bush who are creatures of the FIRE Klown Bankster Financial elite of all races and who want to teach Democracy to Orcs when the what needs to be taught is concealed gun carry to the Lady Orcs :twisted:

Electing Smart but oversexed Jackasses like Clinton who are creatures of the FIRE Klown Bankster Financial elite of all races and won't call a shot on one Arab oops I mean Orc Chieftain, Osama Sam ;) , because he was afraid he might hurt another Orc Chieftain.........

Electing lying, conniving Orc at Hearts like Obama who are creatures of the FIRE Klown Bankster Financial elite of all races who spend worse than a drunken sailor on anything green and secretly send guns to Mexico in a conspiracy to deprive Uz of our right to bear arms * etc............

Just a start......... We Uz have more........

*Or arm Bears ;) ......... As we did in WW2........

I will, a bit later

but

first ,

Reason I debate Japan with Colonel is not to put down Japan or say Iran this and that

Reason is, to find why Japan in present situation, the predicaments .. and .. what to do to bounce from the downhill track to the uphill track again

Japan is a very disciplined society, homogen, has many positive attributes

the issue not that

issue is

rules that served Japan well after WWII .. intimately close to America/West .. in all respect, political & economical & military and and and .. rules that served Japan well

those rules do not conform to new realities anymore

economic situations change .. so did military/defense realities .. so did many other aspect of New World

in that sense

all points that Colonel mentioned .. Yen strength, national debt at ~ 200% of GDP, large and growing number of elderly, challenge to high value added manufacturing posed by S Korea, Taiwan, and China ,, need to import all carbon fuels and and and ..

all these point

are

symptoms of the sickness that has befallen Japan since New realities emerged .. and .. Japans corrupt political system did not react to those new realities

Japan can not solve issues Colonel mentioned within the old rules and system

things must change fundamental

New Alliances, economic, military, security, social & cultural and and and

Basically, Japan must come back home

Japan & Iran started at the same time

1840 Japan and Iran send students to West for education

Brits, because of India + Ottomans + Russian Tzars fucked Iran, sabotaging Iranian progress, Amir Kabir was murdered on British agitation, rest is history

so

now

Japan does not need anymore West, West has no more any (competitive) advantage for Japan .. neither scientific nor cultural nor political nor military .. does not mean antagonism to west, but means Japan's future is somewhere else

In that sense,

the poll indicating 25% of Japanese thought of suicide, indicating hopelessness, is very significant

Japan must open an new era .. new horizon .. that would open new territory and doors .. rejuvenating Japan, in all fields

that is what I am trying to engage Colonel in

but

each time I engage

Colonel comes with

Iran this Iran that

re Iran,

Monster

I assume you read that article I posted

to understand all my posts, you must read that article, without reading it, you do not understand
what I am talking

well

Iran is not compared to Japan

Iran is compared to China

Iran is where China was in 1960's

Iran still in mid of MAO's Long March

Why west not afraid of others but Iran ? ?

Because west knows "Greater Persia" is next China, dominating from Uighur to Bosporus to Tangier .. dominating culturally & civilization .. West want to hamper that, to gain time to steal all natural wealth of that space.

re, you question of Iranian weakness .. IMVVHO, Iranians should have put on the brake much sooner .. what is happening right now, should have happened 150 yrs ago

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Let's stay on topic in this thread: Japan.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:Japan, as does any nation, face a number of serious challenges.

. . .

The inbred, insular, and self-serving politicians and govt bureaucrats with little connection with reality; and

. . .
Exhibit A: The current Governor of Tokyo, Shintaro Ishihara.

Tokyo’s 79-year-old GoT Shintaro Ishihara’s latest rant against young people is to accuse of them of failing to have sex and produce more taxslaves
due to worries about their small penises and propensity to premature ejaculation.
Speaking at a government education panel, aside from the now traditional accusation that young people are suffering from “information overload” from too much TV and Internet,
he also tried his hand at some sexology:
“You can’t have sex with a girl if you are thinking about your penis being too small, or that you’ll not last long after insertion. If you’ve no sense of yourself, you’ll not be strong at it.”
He introduced this and other wisdom he “heard from doctors” to the panel to their polite edification,

although the online reaction was rather less polite:
“As expected of his excellency!”
“His excellency Ishihara would know all about these two problems, what wisdom!”
“Not even big enough to thrust through a paper door?”
“Given the content of his novels, I suppose he is advocating getting round the problem by just drugging your victim first?”
“Perhaps his worries about these matters were why he wrote those novels…”
“I’m pretty sure the less sex problem is more to do with not finding partners who’ll put out for you in the first place…”
“Why blame a lack of sexual experience on a small penis and premature ejaculation? You can’t really have either without some experience in the first place.”
“Rise up, Japan!”
_____

An often overlooked problem with having so many elderly is that they will vote for one of their own . . .
monster_gardener

Shintaro Ishihara and Howard Stern.......

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Japan, as does any nation, face a number of serious challenges.

. . .

. . .
Exhibit A: The current Governor of Tokyo, Shintaro Ishihara.

Tokyo’s 79-year-old GoT Shintaro Ishihara’s latest rant against young people is to accuse of them of failing to have sex and produce more taxslaves
due to worries about their small penises and propensity to premature ejaculation.
Speaking at a government education panel, aside from the now traditional accusation that young people are suffering from “information overload” from too much TV and Internet,
he also tried his hand at some sexology:
“You can’t have sex with a girl if you are thinking about your penis being too small, or that you’ll not last long after insertion. If you’ve no sense of yourself, you’ll not be strong at it.”
He introduced this and other wisdom he “heard from doctors” to the panel to their polite edification,

although the online reaction was rather less polite:
“As expected of his excellency!”
“His excellency Ishihara would know all about these two problems, what wisdom!”
“Not even big enough to thrust through a paper door?”
“Given the content of his novels, I suppose he is advocating getting round the problem by just drugging your victim first?”
“Perhaps his worries about these matters were why he wrote those novels…”
“I’m pretty sure the less sex problem is more to do with not finding partners who’ll put out for you in the first place…”
“Why blame a lack of sexual experience on a small penis and premature ejaculation? You can’t really have either without some experience in the first place.”
“Rise up, Japan!”
_____

An often overlooked problem with having so many elderly is that they will vote for one of their own . . .
Thank you VERY Much for your post, Typhoon.
rant against young people is to accuse of them of failing to have sex and produce more taxslaves
:shock: :o ;) :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOW! When I was growing up, that is NOT what parents worried about........

Were worried about the opposite.........

Even now, IME they often don't worry that way until after marriage when the hunger for grandchildren sets in...........

due to worries about their small penises
Didn't stop Howard Stern from fathering 3 daughters... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or did he.........Sometimes hard to know without DNA testing....

That's a reason for Matrilineal descent.......... Used by Jews and Native Americans.......

Anyway........

Here's the Wiki for Shintaro Ishihara........

Sounds like an interesting mix of Good and BAD.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shintaro_Ishihara

Do you have the link for this lastest update on him?
Typhoon

Re: Shintaro Ishihara and Howard Stern.......

Post by Typhoon »

monster_gardener wrote: . . .

Do you have the link for this lastest update on him?
http://www.nikkansports.com/general/new ... 49606.html

[In Japanese, sorry]
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Thanks, Colonel, that is hilarious! I had to double-check the thread title to make sure I haven't switched over to Levitas by accident.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Osaka mayor has old guard running scared
Even on an ordinary morning in Japan’s western port of Osaka, there are more than three dozen journalists and camera crew crowded into a city office corridor to hear the latest thoughts of the outspoken mayor, Toru Hashimoto, as he arrives for work.

Mr Hashimoto does not disappoint. For 20 minutes, the fast-talking former lawyer holds forth on municipal policy, political strategy and education reform. In the process he manages to slight two of Japan’s biggest newspapers – the Mainichi Shimbun for a “trivial” front page story and the Asahi Shimbun for a defence of ruling party inconsistency that would “put Hitler to shame”.

It is not only Osaka citizens who are listening to Mr Hashimoto’s blunt talk. Half a year after a stunning election victory against a candidate backed by both Japan’s ruling party and the biggest opposition group, the mayor has become one of the nation’s most popular politicians and a potential national power broker.
Politicians of the deeply unpopular ruling Democratic party and their only marginally better-liked rival Liberal Democrats are running scared. Some say a new party led by Mr Hashimoto could win enough seats in the next general election to become the swing vote in a divided Diet. His push to trim Osaka government deficits by slimming the bureaucracy has prompted comparisons with the US Tea party movement.

The boyish and deliberately informal Mr Hashimoto certainly seems determined to shake things up.
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

My good Colonel,

Some observers have penned Mr. Hashimoto as a brother in spirit to Britain's David Cameron. What do you think of that comparison?
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Oh dear. Oh dear Oh dear.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/nyreg ... cials.html
Two delegations of Japanese officials visited Palisades Park, N.J., this month with a request that took local administrators by surprise: The Japanese wanted a small monument removed from a public park.
The monument, a brass plaque on a block of stone, was dedicated in 2010 to the memory of so-called comfort women, tens of thousands of women and girls, many Korean, who were forced into sexual slavery by Japanese soldiers during World War II.
But the Japanese lobbying to remove the monument seems to have backfired — and deepened animosity between Japan and South Korea over the issue of comfort women, a longstanding irritant in their relations.

The authorities in Palisades Park, a borough across the Hudson River from Manhattan, rejected the demand, and now the Japanese effort is prompting Korean groups in the New York region and across the country to plan more such monuments.
“They’re helping us, actually,” said Chejin Park, a lawyer at the Korean American Voters’ Council, a civic group that championed the memorial in Palisades Park, where more than half of the population of about 20,000 is of Korean descent, according to the Census Bureau. “We can increase the awareness of this issue.”

Korean groups have been further motivated by a letter-writing campaign in Japan in opposition to a proposal by Peter Koo, a New York councilman and Chinese immigrant, to rename a street in Flushing, Queens, in honor of comfort women.
Mr. Park said that in the past week or so, his organization had received calls from at least five Korean community organizers around the country — in Georgia, Michigan, New Jersey and Texas — expressing interest in building their own memorials. These would be in addition to at least four memorials in the works in California and Georgia, he added.

The monument in Palisades Park is the only one in the United States dedicated to comfort women, borough officials said.

“Starting from Flushing, N.Y., we will continue the construction in the areas of major Korean-American communities,” said Paul Park, executive director of the Korean-American Association of Greater New York, one of the oldest Korean community organizations in the region. “We Korean-Americans observe the issue on the level of a global violation of human rights.”

Tensions between Japan and South Korea over the legacy of comfort women were reignited in December when a bronze statue in honor of victims was installed across the street from the Japanese Embassy in Seoul, the South Korean capital. Japanese officials have asked the Korean authorities to remove that statue.

Japanese leaders have said that their formal apologies, expressions of remorse and admissions of responsibility regarding the treatment of comfort women are sufficient, including an offer to set up a $1 billion fund for victims. But many Koreans contend that those actions are inadequate. Surviving victims have rejected the fund because it would be financed by private money. The victims are seeking government reparations.

Mayor James Rotundo of Palisades Park said the lobbying began obliquely late last month. Officials at the Japanese consulate in New York sent e-mails requesting a meeting with borough administrators.

“I called the secretary and said, ‘What is this about?’ ” the mayor recalled in an interview, “and she said, ‘It’s about Japanese-U.S. relations,’ and I said: ‘Oh. Well, O.K.’ ”

The first meeting, on May 1, began pleasantly enough, he said. The delegation was led by the consul general, Shigeyuki Hiroki, who talked about his career, including his work in Afghanistan — “niceties,” Mr. Rotundo said.

Then the conversation took a sudden turn, Mr. Rotundo said. The consul general pulled out two documents and read them aloud.

One was a copy of a 1993 statement from Yohei Kono, then the chief cabinet secretary, in which the Japanese government acknowledged the involvement of military authorities in the coercion and suffering of comfort women.

The other was a 2001 letter to surviving comfort women from Junichiro Koizumi, then the prime minister, apologizing for their treatment.

Mr. Hiroki then said the Japanese authorities “wanted our memorial removed,” Mr. Rotundo recalled.

The consul general also said the Japanese government was willing to plant cherry trees in the borough, donate books to the public library “and do some things to show that we’re united in this world and not divided,” Mr. Rotundo said. But the offer was contingent on the memorial’s removal. “I couldn’t believe my ears,” said Jason Kim, deputy mayor of Palisades Park and a Korean-American, who was at the meeting. “My blood shot up like crazy.”

Borough officials rejected the request, and the delegation left.

The second delegation arrived on May 6 and was led by four members of the Japanese Parliament. Their approach was less diplomatic, Mr. Rotundo said. The politicians, members of the opposition Liberal Democratic Party, tried, in asking that the monument be removed, to convince the Palisades Park authorities that comfort women had never been forcibly conscripted as sex slaves.

“They said the comfort women were a lie, that they were set up by an outside agency, that they were women who were paid to come and take care of the troops,” the mayor related. “I said, ‘We’re not going to take it down, but thanks for coming.’ ”
The Japanese consulate in New York has been reluctant to discuss its lobbying.

In interviews this week, Fumio Iwai, the deputy consul general, would not say whether the consul general had requested that the monument be removed. But he denied that the consul general had offered to help the borough in return for the monument’s removal. Mr. Hiroki “did not offer any such condition,” he said.

Mr. Iwai said the issue of comfort women, if not Palisades Park specifically, was the subject of continuing discussions “at a very high level” between the governments of South Korea and Japan.

“So,” he said, pausing as if to choose his words carefully, “things are quite complicated.”
Well Mr. Iwai, considering your embassy's actions in this matter, it is actually not that complicated at all. It is complex only as far as the denials, obfuscations, equivocations, and headless tit for tat responses your head in arsehole factions allow it to be.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:My good Colonel,

Some observers have penned Mr. Hashimoto as a brother in spirit to Britain's David Cameron. What do you think of that comparison?
Have to sheepishly admit that I don't know enough about PM Cameron to offer an opinion.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Fukushima Updates

1. Hillary Clinton signed a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with Japan's government agreeing that Japan was not required to test radiation levels of exports to the US, and the US was not required to test imports from Japan. Signed in 2011.

2. Billions - trillions of bequerels (1 bequerel = 1000 millisieverts. Extreme danger level) entering the air currents each day.

3. The ground water has been found to be so contaminated that a plan to build a dam blocking the ground water from continuing to enter the ocean is underway.

4. The ocean sediment and sea life are showing high levels of Cesium radiation as far as a 200 miles radius out from Fukushima. The higher up the food chain - the higher the contamination will continue to get over time.

5. The water used to cool the reactors is now being filtered and reused. (They've stopped using sea water). However, the reactor houses are like leaky sieves and they are realizing the coolant water is leaking terribly, going into ground water, surrounding buildings and ultimately the ocean. The filters used over the past 9 months have nearly filled up a football field. Wonder how many football fields 2 years...the amount of time it will take for the core to cool down enough for cementing shut (like Chernobyl).

6. The US fed gov is not doing any testing on air, water, soil or food - in fact, it is being discouraged. TEPCO still hasn't done anything to strengthen the 4 crippled plants to withstand another earthquake. They are just hoping it doesn't happen. It would be disastrous not only for Japan but for North America as well.

7. By drawing attention to Japan's nuclear faults, we will draw even more attention to America's nuclear plants - which would be in no better shape than Japan's, should a natural disaster hit any of them. So, the US just covers its eyes and plugs its ears

sent by a Chinese friend

Hmmmm

Colonel, if true , would be a disaster