News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Doc

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:48 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:54 am
noddy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:04 am it just occured to me that with the toilet paper hoarding, then the gasoline hoarding, you need to watch out for glass bottle hoarding next.

the masses are preparing a molotov cocktail armoury for the zombie apocolypse.
If that ends up the case, I'd be very impressed with such a demonstration of patience. :)
qajvqf1qupy61.jpg

true. thinking ahead doesnt appear to be a strong point in this demographic.
If you thought putting gas in plastic containers is bad....

stW7cxGl5o0

How about being so desperate to hoard gas you put it in a tesla?

61MydJ3f7yI

:lol:
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

On another forum where some were complaining about people hoarding gasoline, one of the best comments was: "It will really be fun when we are forced to drive electric cars and people try to hoard electricity!"
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:16 pm On another forum where some were complaining about people hoarding gasoline, one of the best comments was: "It will really be fun when we are forced to drive electric cars and people try to hoard electricity!"
Duh!! People can just store electrons in their gas tanks. :P

Meanwhile:

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Doc wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:46 pm
Simple Minded wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:16 pm On another forum where some were complaining about people hoarding gasoline, one of the best comments was: "It will really be fun when we are forced to drive electric cars and people try to hoard electricity!"

Meanwhile:

Not to brag but I'm halfway done filling my basement with gasoline. :D
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:16 am

Meanwhile:

Why do you Yuppies always preface your bragging by statements of "not to brag, but....."

You are winning the gasoline status war so far?

How's your toilet paper stash looking?
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Meanwhile:

Don't flip any light switches......;>.......
Gasoline can dissolve certain kinds of plastic, leading to further spillage. If the gas is exposed to a spark, it could trigger a life-threatening fire. Officials recommend using a Transportation Department-approved container with a proper lid for handling flammable liquids.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... astic-bag/
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:07 pm

Meanwhile:

Don't flip any light switches......;>.......
Gasoline can dissolve certain kinds of plastic, leading to further spillage. If the gas is exposed to a spark, it could trigger a life-threatening fire. Officials recommend using a Transportation Department-approved container with a proper lid for handling flammable liquids.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... astic-bag/
Indeed.

Dissolving styrofoam in gasoline/petrol is a starting point for do-it-yourself napalm.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Figures that napalm would be next.

We shot past facepalm on day 1.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

i wonder how many hoarded beans , rice and tinned meat, the actual things you will want to have in the cupboard if things did go to lavender for a while.

hopefully the molotov cocktails and napalm are just the finishing touches.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I think it's a given that whoever has the most napalm doesn't need to hoard anything else. :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:08 am

Meanwhile:

Why do you Yuppies always preface your bragging by statements of "not to brag, but....."

You are winning the gasoline status war so far?

I will take a "not to brag" from someone any day of the week over the awful "humblebrag"
noddy

Post by noddy »

their is a million dollars for the first person to think of 6 months of youtube/tiktok/instagram content around crafting things out of sh1t tickets and petrol.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Man, people are just too nonchalant with their cars.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Wrong man in my family to ask. My father has amassed a three year supply.

It was not accumulated all at once but it became a compulsion issue where every time he left his house he'd pick up toilet paper when he saw it "just in case."

Then he'd call me about it.

It was just from the interruption of his normal routine from lockdown. He's gonna be completely lost about what to do when he retires.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Search engines, starting with the most all-seeing eye one, feel like they've taken a step back.

I've been looking all night for a particular source, nothing particularly odd or controversial; just pages and pages of irrelevant stuff.

On top of that, boring. No more stumbling on to anything interesting or so crazy it's brilliant stuff. It's depressing.
noddy

Post by noddy »

absolutely - I fear the worst of it isnt the search engines but the internet itself, tho that is also a plausable deniability on the self filtering the search engines themselves do - its really hard to say without conspiracy.

the old internet had a much higher ratio of interesting folks self publishing on small hosting companies and all of that world collapsed into corporate aggregated hosting, like blogger or reddit or facebook or whatever.

sprinkle a bit of copyright paranoia and cancel culture paranoia onto that , dash a pinch of the big search engines favouring these controlled hostings because their algorithms favour the popular and you have a reasonable recipe for sterility.

it was always going to happen, TV with a buy now button is the preferred outcome for most people.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Man, it's beyond that.

I have the website I saw it posted on, the names of the author and the blogger who mentioned the author, a partial quote, even a rough time period it would've been posted....yada yada yada, all the stuff to make a search specific in order to avoid going through the whole corpus of the author just to find a paragraph or two.

Feed that all into the machine and it's nothing from nowhere.

And it's not because the site is blocking web crawlers or (again) is some controversial source-- and I can go on about it because you know how it goes and I know there is zero wrong with my searching abilities.

It's a problem I'm increasingly running into and something which wouldn't have happened just five years ago.

If I wanted to find everything that blogger ever wrote, I could get almost everything by a google search.

If it was something more vague or obscure or whatever...maybe after a page or two, it would actually suggest relatable material.

I find that even specific searches are including more irrelevant material [not even talking about advertising] on the first page of a search engine.

It's like these search engines have devolved back into the level of accuracy of the AskJeeves/Altavista years.

But worse, because back then one could find all sorts of nests of interesting weirdoes with websites or on message boards or chat rooms to really find what one was looking for by just getting close enough with a search.

Those people aren't there or they are drowned out or hidden....if the search doesn't work, one is basically out of luck.
NapLajoieonSteroids

I'll hold my tongue when it comes to the libraries, both my local one and the university ones I visit [or used to before the pandemic] are greatly disappointing.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, the haystack is so big and the needles are getting so small.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:38 am Man, it's beyond that.

I have the website I saw it posted on, the names of the author and the blogger who mentioned the author, a partial quote, even a rough time period it would've been posted....yada yada yada, all the stuff to make a search specific in order to avoid going through the whole corpus of the author just to find a paragraph or two.

Feed that all into the machine and it's nothing from nowhere.

And it's not because the site is blocking web crawlers or (again) is some controversial source-- and I can go on about it because you know how it goes and I know there is zero wrong with my searching abilities.

It's a problem I'm increasingly running into and something which wouldn't have happened just five years ago.

If I wanted to find everything that blogger ever wrote, I could get almost everything by a google search.

If it was something more vague or obscure or whatever...maybe after a page or two, it would actually suggest relatable material.

I find that even specific searches are including more irrelevant material [not even talking about advertising] on the first page of a search engine.

It's like these search engines have devolved back into the level of accuracy of the AskJeeves/Altavista years.

But worse, because back then one could find all sorts of nests of interesting weirdoes with websites or on message boards or chat rooms to really find what one was looking for by just getting close enough with a search.

Those people aren't there or they are drowned out or hidden....if the search doesn't work, one is basically out of luck.
Interesting to hear that from you and noddy. I thought it was just me and my imagination. Seems like lately the ratio of interesting concept to fluff, provided by a search engine has fallen by about a factor of five.

next time, I'm gonna ask one of the cats to search for what I want.
Doc

Post by Doc »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:15 am
Wrong man in my family to ask. My father has amassed a three year supply.

It was not accumulated all at once but it became a compulsion issue where every time he left his house he'd pick up toilet paper when he saw it "just in case."

Then he'd call me about it.

It was just from the interruption of his normal routine from lockdown. He's gonna be completely lost about what to do when he retires.
DId you know that in some parts TPing someone's house is now a felony? :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:55 am yeh, the haystack is so big and the needles are getting so small.
Number 7:
https://www.hackread.com/8-best-dark-we ... -for-2020/

(Just kidding)

Though Duckduckgo.com maybe all that is needed.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the relentless $10 a month to keep a private hosting going is another good reason all the interesting sites drop off the net after a few years.

death, finances or lack of interest will kill anything not hosted by the big boys, sooner or later - in many way the internet is a temporary and fragile place.

hence, the wayback machine.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:26 am the relentless $10 a month to keep a private hosting going is another good reason all the interesting sites drop off the net after a few years.

death, finances or lack of interest will kill anything not hosted by the big boys, sooner or later - in many way the internet is a temporary and fragile place.

hence, the wayback machine.
The wayback machine doesn't always work out. I know of the original "Drudge report" style web site that was dedicated to Clinton scandal. Just links to news stories. IT was on the Wayback machine. Today there is no mention anywhere of "White Water Web" The original creator was a professor of computer science at Princeton at the time. He got bored with it and turned it over to a grad student at Washington State University(Maybe Oregon) He was locked out of his office at the school his computer with his dissertation was seized and last time I heard the school was talking about kicking him out.

This all happened after a group of high priced "Friends of the Clintons" lawyers showed up at the school and threatened to sue(again the page just showed links to stories ) for defamation among other things. The guy apparently ran the site on the computer in his office at the school.

There is no reference to "White Water Web" to be found today. There wasn't one to be found 20 years ago. It was on the wayback machine before that and it is not there either. At least not that I can find.

The guy had a wife and two kids In his last post on a forum something like this one, was terrified that his career was over before it ever got started.

At any rate I am very sure you are correct about the internet being temporary,
NapLajoieonSteroids

I believe it to be the opposite, we are still at the precipice and haven't jumped off the cliff yet, too many people who still remember the old ways.

I think the McLuhan-types are mostly right when it comes to this; which is why noddy's "tv as internet" is depressingly accurate while not being a total disaster. The electric age a/v formats are dead and its merely a type of content now being fed into the digital realm, much as books were once fed into it...going forward, it can be successfully imposed many times over but it will never have the same, constant grip on minds as it once did.