Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Re: Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

Post by noddy »

might need to set it in space and then you can sell it to the starwars folks.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

the star wars folks may not be buying anymore. Solo is looking like a dud.
noddy

Post by noddy »

fool me 7 times shame on you.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

when you lose the fans who stuck around for the christmas spacial you've lost the audience. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

Westworld.

I think I like it, or atleast dont find it irritating quite yet.

first season was a bit laden in mystery box but did open it successfully at the end - which is a win - i cant stand mystery boxes as a cheap trick.

second season is a bit less focused and im losing carefactor for the robots but the man in black storyline is maintaining a hook - still using the mystery box tricks but after season one I have small faith it will again resolve to a coherant end of arc.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

o-PNXa4hCWY
noddy

Post by noddy »

shame i cant remove it from my eyeballs as easily as i can my youtube watch history.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote:Westworld.

first season was a bit laden in mystery box but did open it successfully at the end - which is a win - i cant stand mystery boxes as a cheap trick.

second season is a bit less focused and im losing carefactor for the robots but the man in black storyline is maintaining a hook - still using the mystery box tricks but after season one I have small faith it will again resolve to a coherant end of arc.
i take all that back - s2 went from bad to worse until it culminated in a final which had so many silly surprise twists and reveals it was like watching an amateur spoof of agatha cristie.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:shame i cant remove it from my eyeballs as easily as i can my youtube watch history.
If I ever make a horror movie, I am cribbing that.

To me, it's even more disconcerting as its origin is as an advertisement for that guy to sell his masks.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Speaking of contemporary foreign films [topic inspired by the racist Americans thread] :

6Tk80iXCspM

The Good, The Bad, The Weird is a great Korean action-comedy I'd recommend to anyone within an earshot.
NapLajoieonSteroids

qYVK_OqyUzk

fgxTx6opDPY

MG_M73MoxJE
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

What is “Mystery Box”?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

i take all that back - s2 went from bad to worse until it culminated in a final which had so many silly surprise twists and reveals it was like watching an amateur spoof of agatha cristie.
thanks for the update. I abandoned Westworld after season 1 due to laziness. Sounds like I did the right thing accidentally.... once again.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:What is “Mystery Box”?
ask your sister..... or NapLajoieonSteroids' sister.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:

thanks for the update. I abandoned Westworld after season 1 due to laziness. Sounds like I did the right thing accidentally.... once again.
yep - its not super bad - some episodes are fun but the overall season is quite "meh" and the ending is terrible.
Last edited by noddy on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:What is “Mystery Box”?
the concept is like the golden box from pulp fiction - nothing more than a lightbulb in a briefcase but because the viewer never gets to see inside it triggers all sorts of imagination about what it could be - for some filmmakers this is far more interesting than actually knowing (allegedly)

its the technique of hiding the actual story from the viewer via tricks like showing scenes out of order, only showing parts of the story so the reasons for whats happening are obscured, having lots of twists and turns and surprise reveals, anything to keep the viewer guessing about whats going on and always bringing in new mysteries as old ones are exposed.

jj abrahams and the nolan brothers are the 2 main hacks, ermm, tv and film producers who rely on this technique.

the fatal flaw in it is that they are quite often right, the viewers imagination is better than the crap they thought up so this trick only works for the buildup of a story when the guessing is fun and the ending then becomes less than what was expected (heh)

i think the trick is not doing too much of it, its a spice thats used best in moderation - season 2 of westworld upended the entire container.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/evolution ... stery-box/
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
yep - its not super bad - some episodes are fun but the overall season is quite "meh" and the ending is terrible.
I'm glad I followed my gut. Even the first season of Westworld had the "Lost series vibe." the writers seemed too smart by half, and it only seemed a matter of time before they choked on their lack of plot development.

humans abusing human look alike, we're bad at our core, high tech, rich people suck, high tech morphs into self-conscious AI, high tech bots are the new victim identity group, yada yada yada seems old hat, meh....
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:
I'm glad I followed my gut. Even the first season of Westworld had the "Lost series vibe." the writers seemed too smart by half, and it only seemed a matter of time before they choked on their lack of plot development.

humans abusing human look alike, we're bad at our core, high tech, rich people suck, high tech morphs into self-conscious AI, high tech bots are the new victim identity group, yada yada yada seems old hat, meh....
pretty much nailed it.

they added an extra layer of it this time - humans dont have proper free will and can be emulated with 1000 lines of code, only robots have free will because they can self modify their code.

still, i could ignore all that if it kept the basic story line chugging along, but alas, they decided to double up on the out of order, multiple timeliness, triple twists of convoluted nonsense.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:

pretty much nailed it.

they added an extra layer of it this time - humans dont have proper free will and can be emulated with 1000 lines of code, only robots have free will because they can self modify their code.

still, i could ignore all that if it kept the basic story line chugging along, but alas, they decided to double up on the out of order, multiple timeliness, triple twists of convoluted nonsense.
Sounds like it would be tough to differentiate between the Merkin MSM news outlets and Westworld. Maybe both employ the same writers?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Something different. A while ago I watched I Chinese TV drama series "Divorce Laywers".

Usually don't care for this type of rom com drama, but this one had more than enough amusing moments to keep me interested.
The main actors were very good, esp the male lead. The situations and humour reminded me of the better screwball comedies of the 20's, 30's, and 40's.

Available on Youtube

aEbLVdcy_Z4

This was made before the Xi cranked up the censorship.

Current C-dramas all seem to be wu xia [kung fu] fantasy pseudo-historical period pieces set in imaginary kingdoms in the past.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Speaking of contemporary foreign films [topic inspired by the racist Americans thread] :

6Tk80iXCspM

The Good, The Bad, The Weird is a great Korean action-comedy I'd recommend to anyone within an earshot.
This looks interesting. Will give it was watch. Thank you.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Sicario 2 is about the same as the first, positives and negatives.

Good movie overall but didn't care for the ending.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's endlessly fascinating to watch Marvel making movie history with easily the biggest franchise of all time while DC and Star Wars race each other into extinction.

The Marvel mega producer should go down as a top 10 Hollywood mogul of all time.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

the standard explanation for that is that Kevin Feige is actually a fan of the material unlike the others who are trying to tell their own stories and agendas using the material.

when you see big dumb action comedy done well its so obvious and easy, like peak Schwarzaneger or Die Hard and the classics - all the arty types dismiss it for being stupid and formulaic , yet somehow its damn near impossible to produce reliably.

This more than anything is the vein Marvel is mining and despite some SJW feature creeps, it hasnt gone so far that in direction as to alienate anyone by lathering it too hard.

all the signs point to the next round of movies being crap tho - it will be very hard indeed to replicate the charisma and star power of their current generation, who are all getting a bit long in the tooth.
ultracrepidarian