Biology and Medicine

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

Re: Biology and Medicine

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:5G operates at a frequency of 15GHz which is stll orders of magnitude below that of potentially harmful ionizing radiation.

If this claim had any merit, then life on earth would be dead from the much higher frequency visible light.
Higher frequency invisible UV light is what gives one a tan and in excess may result in skin cancer.

Tl;dr: People in industrialized nations have been "soaked" in EM waves with frequencies from power lines to radio for nearly a century and TV and microwaves for nearly half a century [not microwave ovens, which are designed to prevent EM leakage] yet life expectancy in these nations has been steadily rising.

From the petition:
1 Avoid similar mistakes as when the Commission (2008/721/EC) appointed industry supportive members for SCENIHR, who submitted to EU a misleading SCENIHR report on health risks,
giving telecom industry a clean bill to irradiate EU-citizens. The report is now quoted by radiation safety agencies in EU
They're full of it.
Doc wrote:The only Radio frequency study I am aware of showing health effects in General was a study that looked at autism in children within a mile of AM Radio towers. Which can broadcast at 50,000 watts. There was a small correlation found.
Poor study design and statistical analysis.
Doc wrote:Otherwise it has been found that a 1K Hertz magnetic field applied to the head of people suffering from Bi Polar disorder claim they "feel better" with the field applied.
Placebo effect?
Maybe At 1k that is the same freq range. more or less that synapses of the brain run at.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/how-t ... lly-215953
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Boxers vs Briefs:

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quanta Mag | Theory Suggests That All Genes Affect Every Complex Trait
The more closely geneticists look at complex traits and diseases, the harder it gets to find active genes that don’t influence them.
The question most of genetics tries to answer is how genes connect to the traits we see. One person has red hair, another blonde hair; one dies at age 30 of Huntington’s disease, another lives to celebrate a 102nd birthday. Knowing what in the vast expanse of the genetic code is behind traits can fuel better treatments and information about future risks and illuminate how biology and evolution work. For some traits, the connection to certain genes is clear: Mutations of a single gene are behind sickle cell anemia, for instance, and mutations in another are behind cystic fibrosis.

But unfortunately for those who like things simple, these conditions are the exceptions. The roots of many traits, from how tall you are to your susceptibility to schizophrenia, are far more tangled. In fact, they may be so complex that almost the entire genome may be involved in some way, an idea formalized in a theory put forward last year.
Tl;dr: It's complicated.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-jim-al ... nsiteshare
Meet the Carousing, Harmonica-Playing Texan Who Just Won a Nobel for his Cancer Breakthrough

Chance favors the prepared mind. —Louis Pasteur

James Allison looks like a cross between Jerry Garcia and Ben Franklin, and he’s a bit of both, an iconoclastic scientist and musician known for good times and great achievements. He also doesn’t always answer his phone, especially when the call arrives at 5 am, from an unfamiliar number.

So when the Nobel Prize committee tried to reach Allison a few weeks ago to inform him he’d been awarded the 2018 Nobel Prize in medicine, Allison ignored the call. Finally, at 5:30 am, Allison’s son dialed in on a familiar number to deliver the news. The calls have not stopped since.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote:https://www.wired.com/story/meet-jim-al ... nsiteshare
Meet the Carousing, Harmonica-Playing Texan Who Just Won a Nobel for his Cancer Breakthrough

Chance favors the prepared mind. —Louis Pasteur

James Allison looks like a cross between Jerry Garcia and Ben Franklin, and he’s a bit of both, an iconoclastic scientist and musician known for good times and great achievements. He also doesn’t always answer his phone, especially when the call arrives at 5 am, from an unfamiliar number.

So when the Nobel Prize committee tried to reach Allison a few weeks ago to inform him he’d been awarded the 2018 Nobel Prize in medicine, Allison ignored the call. Finally, at 5:30 am, Allison’s son dialed in on a familiar number to deliver the news. The calls have not stopped since.
Wonderful, well deserved.
Deep down I'm very superficial
kmich

Post by kmich »

Is Drug Addiction a Brain Disease?

By Marc Grifell, Carl L. Hart

"This popular claim lacks evidence and leads to poor policy..."
Doc

Post by Doc »

kmich wrote:Is Drug Addiction a Brain Disease?

I once had a friend that was a heavy drug and alcohol user. He once told me that people use drugs as an excuse to explain why their lives were such a mess. He died of a brain tumor at age 30. There is a lot more to the story than that. Just to say he met someone, cleaned up his act, got a real job, and got married to her, two years before he died. He handled his impending death well. I guess he had already gone through his own death previously.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:

I once had a friend that was a heavy drug and alcohol user. He once told me that people use drugs as an excuse to explain why their lives were such a mess. He died of a brain tumor at age 30. There is a lot more to the story than that. Just to say he met someone, cleaned up his act, got a real job, and got married to her, two years before he died. He handled his impending death well. I guess he had already gone through his own death previously.
Well said. I know several who died of slow, long term, self-destruction. Their eventual death surprised no one. All attempts to help were futile. Involuntary institutionalization may have worked, but that is very similar to a prison sentence.

I think there is a very strong genetic predilection to drug abuse. Also the long effect of abusive adults on the psyche of children can not be underestimated in it's power to produce self-destruction/anti-social behavior. Alignment of both Nature and Nurture seem to produce a destiny.

The root causes of people who self-destruct run much deeper than "they just decided to be bad," or "society treated them unfairly."

I think you are correct about his noble handling of his final death. After years of living what is not life, he may very well have thought that relief is finally attainable.
noddy

Pea plants conditioned like Pavlov's dog

Post by noddy »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-15/ ... 2koRXFJLPA
A researcher has been breeding dissent from the science community with a series of experiments she believes proves that plants are making intelligent choices and listening to sounds.

Biological intelligence expert Monica Gagliano from the University of Sydney said it was possible to train plants in the same way as a dog.

Dr Gagliano said her most "disturbing" find involved a fast-growing and climbing pea plant that developed a Pavlovian response.
The researchers had the fan blow onto the pea plant from a certain direction before they replaced it with a blue light, repeating the fan-light combination from random angles over several days.

Finally, the fan was blown onto the conditioned plant from a certain direction.

When the researchers returned the next day to turn on the blue light, they found the plant had bent towards it in anticipation.

"The fan had no meaning whatsoever to start with, but it acquired meaning to the plant through its own experience, the same as the bell did for the dog," Dr Gagliano said.
Another experiment involved growing pea plants in a maze and running water through one of the pipes so the plants grew towards it.

Plants are known to be able to find nearby water by sensing its humidity gradient.

"But then I recorded the sound of water and substituted the real presence of water inside a pipe with just the sound," Dr Gagliano said.

"Even if the actual water isn't there and it's just the mere sound of it, they will grow towards it."
bad news for vegans ? :P
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

As a gardener I have been getting emotionally attached to my plants. It's starting to get weird eating them. I think I need a mental health checkup.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

So many things we say lack evidence and lead to poor policy, a raft of SJW/LGBWTF content comes to mind.
Censorship isn't necessary
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Mr. Perfect wrote:As a gardener I have been getting emotionally attached to my plants. It's starting to get weird eating them. I think I need a mental health checkup.
Go with it. Buy some Canaletti, Franco Valentino or Gianni Vironi suits and get into Italian dressing.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
kmich

Post by kmich »

Eaten spoiled pasta. What can go wrong?

5ujTYLV2Qo4
kmich

Post by kmich »

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Recently Italy assayed their infant vaccines. No antigens were found. Only dangerous contaminants. https://drive.google.com/file/d/128CfYa ... yfWrC/view

This is a big improvement over the U.S. Our vaccines have never been independently evaluated for effectiveness or safety.

"Antivaxxers" have valid questions that deserve answers. Not long ago 9/10 doctors recommended filtered cigarettes and the industry deliberately covered up health risks. When we read about WHO doctors in Kenya wholesale substitution of contraceptives for vaccines, and when the CDC scientific director publicly apologized for throwing the data showing MMR vaccines caused increased autism into trash cans the problem is not the antivaxxers.

30% is a significant amount of measles, but the vaccines were never tested and the industry strongly resists any attempt at accountability. Italy's vaccines are worthless at best. Why should the ones sent to other countries be assumed to be safe and effective?

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Recently Italy assayed their infant vaccines. No antigens were found. Only dangerous contaminants. https://drive.google.com/file/d/128CfYa ... yfWrC/view

This is a big improvement over the U.S. Our vaccines have never been independently evaluated for effectiveness or safety.

"Antivaxxers" have valid questions that deserve answers. Not long ago 9/10 doctors recommended filtered cigarettes and the industry deliberately covered up health risks. When we read about WHO doctors in Kenya wholesale substitution of contraceptives for vaccines, and when the CDC scientific director publicly apologized for throwing the data showing MMR vaccines caused increased autism into trash cans the problem is not the antivaxxers.

30% is a significant amount of measles, but the vaccines were never tested and the industry strongly resists any attempt at accountability. Italy's vaccines are worthless at best. Why should the ones sent to other countries be assumed to be safe and effective?
Seems like Anti-vaxxer's children deserve answers as well.

https://q13fox.com/2019/01/26/washingto ... r-past-30/
Washington is under a state of emergency as measles cases soar past 30
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

30 cases in a state is an emergency? 205 cases of tb in Washington last year.

Vaccines should have evidence they are safe and effective. They have neither. Precisely zero of the legally required studies on this have EVER been done. Not a single one, and when Italy tested theirs there were no antigens in the mmr vaccines.

How many of these 30 cases were caused by ineffective vaccines? We have no idea. Blaming antivaxxers was a data-free reaction by a vaccine industry which is exempt from any legal responsibility for their product.

People are ultimately responsible for their own health and deserve honest and transparent access to data, especially when they are legally forced to take vaccines.

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

It all seems quite surreal.

Ive lived in 3rd world places with babies dying and adults carrying lifelong disfigurements, and i live in australia , were a rigorous vaccination program has eliminated all that and their is no way you can twist any statistic to show that occasional allergies or failed batches is worse than the original disease.

apparently its more complicated elsewhere, the anti vax thing in my country is very much small pockets of rich hippies in progressive suburbs, the smothering mothers who dont let their kids ride bikes much either.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:It all seems quite surreal.

Ive lived in 3rd world places with babies dying and adults carrying lifelong disfigurements, and i live in australia , were a rigorous vaccination program has eliminated all that and their is no way you can twist any statistic to show that occasional allergies or failed batches is worse than the original disease.

apparently its more complicated elsewhere, the anti vax thing in my country is very much small pockets of rich hippies in progressive suburbs, the smothering mothers who dont let their kids ride bikes much either.
In the US the antivax movement is centered around parents whose children had debilitating reactions or death immediately after receiving untested government mandated vaccines.

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

government mandated seems to be the issue more than actual deaths.

I find claims of SIDS or Autism, both of which have plenty of other factors and explanations beyond vaccinations.

in Australia they have settled on the fact some mothers can choose not to and the rest of the mothers can choose to ban those children from the group, which is how free choice works I spose.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

to be clear.

I get people wanting to take back control over important aspects of their lives, in a machine that leaves them unqualified to make their own choices.

so, im not against anti vaxxers, i just personally dont have any reason to suspect that they are actuallly correct.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

OWiD | Polio

Antivaccine woo goes to the conspiracy theory thread.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.