Rise of the Robots | Machine Learning

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Rise of the Robots | Machine Learning

Post by Typhoon »

kHBcVlqpvZ8
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Kudos to Boston Dynamics for making the robodog seem less sinister. A dance routine ought to be standard equipment.
noddy

Post by noddy »

dunno about that.

the reticulated head thing looked suspiciously like a weapons turret.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

LqjP7O9SxOM
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/0 ... r_science/

Rise of the machines: Spare a thought for the only Rectal Teaching Assistant in the UK who has lost his livelihood to a cold, metal bastard.

A bionic booty comprising prosthetic buttocks and anus with in-built robotic tech was developed by the white coats at Imperial College London to help doctors and nurses practise probing a posterior pit

“In fact there is only one person registered in the country as a test subject, called a Rectal Teaching Assistant (RTA) in the UK,” said Bello..
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/0 ... r_science/

Rise of the machines: Spare a thought for the only Rectal Teaching Assistant in the UK who has lost his livelihood to a cold, metal bastard.

A bionic booty comprising prosthetic buttocks and anus with in-built robotic tech was developed by the white coats at Imperial College London to help doctors and nurses practise probing a posterior pit

“In fact there is only one person registered in the country as a test subject, called a Rectal Teaching Assistant (RTA) in the UK,” said Bello..
That would be impressive on any resume.

"Bill. I'm not sure if this new applicant will be able to get along with some of our more aggressive team members."
"Fred. Look at the fourth paragraph down on the second page of his resume. He will fit in here just fine. He definitely willing to take one for the team."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

cool. apparently, "robots of a feather, flock together."

Deus ex machina?

https://www.c4isrnet.com/unmanned/robot ... onomously/
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:cool. apparently, "robots of a feather, flock together."

Deus ex machina?

swarms are very cool - ive wanted to develop product using that idea, just need a customer to pay for it :)
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:cool. apparently, "robots of a feather, flock together."

Deus ex machina?

swarms are very cool - ive wanted to develop product using that idea, just need a customer to pay for it :)
I'll give you a dollar Noddy. $2 dollars if you will pay for mine. :D
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

at the current 70c exchange rate the first deal is looking like a winner :)
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

5iV_hB08Uns
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

2019-05-02-imma-on-Instagram-hello-earth-h.png
2019-05-02-imma-on-Instagram-hello-earth-h.png (359.71 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
CGI model: Imma

[The guy beside "her" is some real fashionista.]
Doc

Post by Doc »

I think this is going to need a topic of its own eventually

wL64jqYn4CE
Doc

Post by Doc »

Maybe we need a "Rise of the Life | Biological learning thread

Evolution of Nanomachines in Geospheres and Microbial Ancestors

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-scientist ... -life.html

Scientists have discovered the origins of the building blocks of life

by Rutgers University
A fold (shape) that may have been one of the earliest proteins in the evolution of metabolism. Credit: Vikas Nanda/Rutgers University

Rutgers researchers have discovered the origins of the protein structures responsible for metabolism: simple molecules that powered early life on Earth and serve as chemical signals that NASA could use to search for life on other planets.

Their study, which predicts what the earliest proteins looked like 3.5 billion to 2.5 billion years ago, is published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The scientists retraced, like a many thousand piece puzzle, the evolution of enzymes (proteins) from the present to the deep past. The solution to the puzzle required two missing pieces, and life on Earth could not exist without them. By constructing a network connected by their roles in metabolism, this team discovered the missing pieces.

"We know very little about how life started on our planet. This work allowed us to glimpse deep in time and propose the earliest metabolic proteins," said co-author Vikas Nanda, a professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and a resident faculty member at the Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine. "Our predictions will be tested in the laboratory to better understand the origins of life on Earth and to inform how life may originate elsewhere. We are building models of proteins in the lab and testing whether they can trigger reactions critical for early metabolism."

A Rutgers-led team of scientists called ENIGMA (Evolution of Nanomachines in Geospheres and Microbial Ancestors) is conducting the research with a NASA grant and via membership in the NASA Astrobiology Program. The ENIGMA project seeks to reveal the role of the simplest proteins that catalyzed the earliest stages of life.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Slashgear | Driverless truck startup Starsky Robotics folds: CEO shares tough autonomy truths
“There are too many problems with the AV industry to detail here,” Seltz-Axmacher writes, “the professorial pace at which most teams work, the lack of tangible deployment milestones, the open secret that there isn’t a robotaxi business model, etc. The biggest, however, is that supervised machine learning doesn’t live up to the hype. It isn’t actual artificial intelligence akin to C-3PO, it’s a sophisticated pattern-matching tool.”

The issue, he explains, is that matching – and eventually exceeding – human drivers’ abilities with edge cases is much tougher than most realized. Everyday driving in reasonable conditions is fairly low-hanging fruit; that can be achieved relatively rapidly. Developing a system that is capable of reacting safely to unexpected situations, however, is far trickier, and as you refine the self-driving AI you also set yourself the challenge of finding increasingly specific risk models with which to test.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:34 pm Slashgear | Driverless truck startup Starsky Robotics folds: CEO shares tough autonomy truths
“There are too many problems with the AV industry to detail here,” Seltz-Axmacher writes, “the professorial pace at which most teams work, the lack of tangible deployment milestones, the open secret that there isn’t a robotaxi business model, etc. The biggest, however, is that supervised machine learning doesn’t live up to the hype. It isn’t actual artificial intelligence akin to C-3PO, it’s a sophisticated pattern-matching tool.”

The issue, he explains, is that matching – and eventually exceeding – human drivers’ abilities with edge cases is much tougher than most realized. Everyday driving in reasonable conditions is fairly low-hanging fruit; that can be achieved relatively rapidly. Developing a system that is capable of reacting safely to unexpected situations, however, is far trickier, and as you refine the self-driving AI you also set yourself the challenge of finding increasingly specific risk models with which to test.
In other words the "intelligence" in Artificial intelligence isn't. What is being pushed is expert systems. Expert systems being notorious for not being able to handle exceptions. As those designing them can't think of everything.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambl ... d9b344ece8
The Cluster Swarm project is developing a missile warhead to dispense a swarm of small drones that fan out to locate and destroy vehicles with explosively formed penetrators or EFPs. (An EFP spits a high-speed slug of armor-piercing metal some tens or hundreds of meters). This is similar in concept to the existing CBU-105 bomb, a 1000-pound munition which scatters forty ‘Skeet’ submunitions each over the target area, each of which parachutes down, scanning the ground with a seeker until it finds a tank and fires an EFP at it; the picture above shows one test. CBU-105’s dropped by B-52 bombers successfully knocked out entire Iraqi tank columns in 2003, leading them to be termed ‘Cans of whup-ass.’ The Cluster Swarm would be vastly more powerful.
something to look forward to during the next round of riots.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:16 pm https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambl ... d9b344ece8
The Cluster Swarm project is developing a missile warhead to dispense a swarm of small drones that fan out to locate and destroy vehicles with explosively formed penetrators or EFPs. (An EFP spits a high-speed slug of armor-piercing metal some tens or hundreds of meters). This is similar in concept to the existing CBU-105 bomb, a 1000-pound munition which scatters forty ‘Skeet’ submunitions each over the target area, each of which parachutes down, scanning the ground with a seeker until it finds a tank and fires an EFP at it; the picture above shows one test. CBU-105’s dropped by B-52 bombers successfully knocked out entire Iraqi tank columns in 2003, leading them to be termed ‘Cans of whup-ass.’ The Cluster Swarm would be vastly more powerful.
something to look forward to during the next round of riots.
maybe, maybe not. the COVID-19 virus, which "didn't care about race, class or gender," didn't seem too effective in preventing or quelling riots....
noddy

Post by noddy »

true.

We need robots spreading covid to be sure.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Pursuing the weaknesses of present-day artificial intelligence – what I have called the “stupidity problem” – takes us into the fascinating field of neurobiology, which in recent times has experienced a series of revolutionary discoveries. These discoveries have overturned many of the dogmas about brain function which shaped the early development of AI, at the same time suggesting revolutionary directions for AI in the future.
https://asiatimes.com/2020/06/the-stupi ... elligence/
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:45 pm
Pursuing the weaknesses of present-day artificial intelligence – what I have called the “stupidity problem” – takes us into the fascinating field of neurobiology, which in recent times has experienced a series of revolutionary discoveries. These discoveries have overturned many of the dogmas about brain function which shaped the early development of AI, at the same time suggesting revolutionary directions for AI in the future.
https://asiatimes.com/2020/06/the-stupi ... elligence/
A very good and interesting series of articles. Thanks for posting.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

I just discovered this. Beyond expert systems...

WXuK6gekU1Y
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

MIT Tech Rev | DeepMind’s protein-folding AI has solved a 50-year-old grand challenge of biology
AlphaFold [a successor to AlphaGo] can predict the shape of proteins to within the width of an atom. The breakthrough will help scientists design drugs and understand disease.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:07 am MIT Tech Rev | DeepMind’s protein-folding AI has solved a 50-year-old grand challenge of biology
AlphaFold [a successor to AlphaGo] can predict the shape of proteins to within the width of an atom. The breakthrough will help scientists design drugs and understand disease.
Apparently, the field is greeting this claim with skepticism.